Angel Beats! - Matsushita Route & Character Discussion

Discussion of Matsushita’s route & character in the Angel Beats! series.

All known information about Matsushita may be discussed without the usage of any spoiler tags whatsoever when it comes to the anime, Manga, and his VN route content. Please mark all other route content with [spoiler] tags.

Yoroshiku, lolicon.

What would you rate this route?

0 voters

So, to ask the burning questions that everybody is wondering about: Is Matsushita really a lolicon???

As funny as it is to imagine, I don’t think so. I think Matsushita is just a free spirit who doesn’t give a shit whether you’re a lolicon or not.

1 Like

Non spoiler spoiler:

Matsushita & Lucia have the same affinity.

Edit because no one else posted:

To add, this route feels almost similar to several previous Key routes, which focused on the creation of something–usually involving several people in the process–to solve a certain problem… (see Clannad’s Kotomi, Tomoyo After, Little Busters’ Komari.)

Also it reveals one more aspect of Shiina, who I hope will be covered more later.

Ha ha I remember sending Matsushita off to slim down right at the start… This was after clearing the route so I don’t know if it counts as foreshadowing or unlocked dialogue since Hinata and Yurippe comment on how he had been thin before.

There is a way to finish Matsushita route in thin body ’ 3’
I’m trying ~

Can someone tell me Matsushida’s backstory ? I’m curious about how he ended up there.

He started out as a normal kid. He had an older cousin who was born legally blind. As a child, he wasn’t very fond of her. Understandable as she was like 6 years older, and awkward to be around. At one point the two were on a walk, and Matsushita left her alone to go play with some friends. By some weird logic Matsushita got sick with a very high fever, when it passed he had lost his sight. Having been blind from birth, Hinako was able to support after that, she was the one who suggested he should do judo. Fast forward sevenish years, Matsushita is in a big tournament final. Hinako shows up 10 minutes before the match, she gives him an encouraging speech then leaves right before the match. Matsushita wins, but finds out after that Hinako has died in a car accident. So, Matsushita is in that world because his guilt over how he treated Hinako as a child, and the general unfairness of her death. He also wishes to remember Hinako’s face, as he only started liking her after he lost his sight.

1 Like

Thanks ! But how did he end up in the Afterlife ?

You mean how he actually died? He said that wasn’t important.

1 Like

Almost every character in Angel beats says that… It irritates me how they don’t tell.

Re-reading this while on ski trip, DAMN is this route short. The common route scenes are all but one about Otonashi being taught ukemi, so you can pretty much skip right to Episode:Matsushita. If this was in English, it’d take like 2-3 hours to read. The route is actually just 2/3rds backstory and a conclusion.

I probably would never guess that this was the Kashida route. My image of Kashida mostly comes from how he does foreshadowing, but there is barely any foreshadowing in this route. There’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it line foreshadowing the misconception about sunflowers turning. Instead, I’d probably say the biggest strength of the route lies in its immersion(Sure wasn’t the plot). Because they keep visuals to a minimum, we get a lot more traditional text-based environmental immersion which also plays in with the theme of taking vision for granted.

There’s another important part to this route even though it’s soured slightly over the years: how it relates to the rest of Angel Beats!. First we got how Godan actually has a lot of things figured out similar to Yuri and Kanade. He’s spent decades in that world after all; it doesn’t make sense to not learn anything from everything around him. Hopefully, the same would hold true for the other characters. Second, this route kinda feels like a tutorial. Otonashi’s plan is retarded; it’s Kanade-level dumb even though he’s supposed to be the brain to her brawn. However, it works out in the end, but the story acknowledges that it was basically a stroke of luck, and Godan emphasizes that Otonashi’s got a whole lot more ahead of him… crickets chirping …Awkward…
#DeadBeats