Angel Beats! - Kanade Tachibana Character Discussion

Discussion of Kanade’s character in Angel Beats! and Angel Beats! Heaven’s Door. As of now all known information about the Angel Beats! anime and the Heaven’s Door manga may be discussed without the usage of spoiler tags, so be wary if you’re not familiar with them.

Discussion of turnips is prohibited.
Guard Skill: Hype.

1 Like

More like Kanad-eh

2 Likes

Character?

1 Like

Kanade is the character that kept the show going for me.

She seemingly starts out as this expressionless doll with a frightening presence, and every scene she appeared in put tension on the other characters. But Otonashi feels curious as to why she is like this. The truth is that she is distressed because whenever she tries to make friends with someone, they get ‘obliterated’. So, in order to make sure no one else suffers the same fate, she distances herself from others. It’s also my guess that she used the Angel Project in order to defend herself from the SSS, even though she can’t die.

Kanade doesn’t get a whole lot of backstory in the anime, which is saddening because she’s the most interesting character for me. Whatever backstory we did get ended up being a massive plothole, so I hope the VN will address that when the time comes.

One of the other things I would like the VN to address is why she became the Seito Kaichou in the first place. She doesn’t seem to gain much from it, although she does hold up the responsibility quite well. My guess is that it’s one of the few things she can do to have fun, because that seems to be her main motivation for everything. She can’t play with friends because they get obliterated, so she has to find fun things to do in her solitude, such as gardening and watching the SSS do crazy stuff.

Speaking of which, she’s always interested in what the SSS does, even though they have a clear ‘no Kanades allowed’ mentality. She doesn’t stop their antics in the classroom, she observes their outside activities, and she probably even wanted to become friends with them at some point, but couldn’t because she was afraid of obliterating them. I suppose that makes Otonashi a fitting significant other for her, because he has very little personality to speak of and we never exactly know what Otonashi’s regrets are, therefore making him plot-immune to obliteration.

Final word: Can’t wait for her route. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Gonna keep this short because pretty much everyone knows my appreciation for Kanade.
Can’t wait for her route, Etc.
In conclusion, KANADE FOR LIFE.

4 Likes

Now that’s just plagiarism. XD

First, why the romaji? As for her reasoning it’s probably like this: “I want to help people graduate so I’ll become student council president to make sure that goes more smoothly.” Kanade knew what the world was about before anyone else but, since she thought everyone figured it out as well, she apparently never told anyone. This is explain in episode 9 B-part.

@Yerian Spelling corrected. If you study 3 languages you will make mistakes so I appreciate people correcting me. I’m pretty sure my English syntax isn’t 100% but no one ever says anything.

2 Likes

Why not? It’s easier to type that than ‘Student Council President’. Plus, since I’m a hopeless, ignorant Japanese enthusiast, what’s the harm in sprinkling in some gratuitous Japanese every once in a while? :3

[quote=“HeliosAlpha, post:7, topic:1164”]
As for her reasoning it’s probably like this: “I want to help people graduate so I’ll become student council president to make sure that goes more smoothly.”
[/quote]I guess this makes sense. Since she finds herself helpless to make friends, it would be reasonable to make an effort to make the process of obliteration as natural and painless as possible.

Thats what the etc is for :wink:

1 Like

Makes perfect sense to me. Her job is to help students enjoy the school life (which they regretted while they were alive) and thus graduate. Sounds exactly like what a student council president does at a real school. Its the best way to help as many students as possible all at once.

[quote=“EisenKoubu, post:4, topic:1164”]
Speaking of which, she’s always interested in what the SSS does, even though they have a clear ‘no Kanades allowed’ mentality.
[/quote]Basically READ HEAVEN’S DOOR

[quote=“HeliosAlpha, post:7, topic:1164”]
romanji
[/quote]This isn’t meant to be nasty or obnoxious so please don’t take it that way, but: If you’re gonna question someone’s use of it, at least spell it right. There shouldn’t be an “n” :confused:

Anyways. Im not really into the silent, stand-offish types. Kanade seemingly has no emotion until the end in the anime. She’s done a bit better in HD, but as we know, Yuri turns her into an antagonist, so we don’t really ever get to see what she’s really thinking. Given her actual objective as we know it from the anime, she has the potential to be a much better character if she, you know, would actually talk more and stuff.

4 Likes

Well dammit, Yerian just stole practically everything I was about to say about Kanade.

Well I guess this is as good a place as ever to bring up a topic that’s been in my head (and may seem controversial for others); Kanade is extremely extremely grateful for Otonashi for giving her his heart, but she doesn’t love him in a romantic sense. What put this idea in my head was the fact that, in the last episode, no matter how much Otonashi was bawling, telling her he loves her, she would only reply with a bunch of "Thank you"s. From there on, I was observing their relationship, and I felt like she didn’t feel anything towards him in a romantic sense. Well, to begin with, she doesn’t really show much emotion, but there has to be something if she felt anything romantic towards him…

That aside, she probably greatly cares for him, as is evidenced by how she helps him throughout the series. However, I just simply cannot feel that care as anything romantic.

5 Likes

[quote=“Yerian, post:10, topic:1164”]
READ HEAVEN’S DOOR
[/quote]

If Kanade doesn’t get very much development in Heaven’s Door anyways, then that’s just another reason for me to avoid it altogether.

[quote=“Pepe, post:11, topic:1164”]
That aside, she probably greatly cares for him, as is evidenced by how she helps him throughout the series. However, I just simply cannot feel that care as anything romantic.
[/quote]If she retains that same attitude in the VN, I might just lose hope for her route… :’(

Eh? I’m a bit confused what your grudge against Heaven’s Door is, not that I mind if you don’t want to read it.

You certainly see more to her character in Heaven’s Door (although not much). Compared to the personality she had in Angel Beats, or lack thereof, Kanade feels a lot more believable in Heaven’s Door, even if it’s just through small moments. Shame that you don’t see more of her, but that’s just the nature of the manga.

Even though I agree with Pepe in that the relationship seemed to mostly be a one-sided romance in the anime, I feel that it’s unlikely it will remain that way in the visual novel. I believe it’s intended to be a romantic relationship in the anime and that it didn’t really get enough time to become fleshed out and ended up coming across wrong as a result. Regardless of what the anime intended, though, I’d be shocked if there wasn’t romance between the two of them in the visual novel.

As for my thoughts about Kanade? Well, I don’t have anything to say that others haven’t. She, like most of the Angel Beats cast, has a lot of untapped potential™ and is just dying to have more time to herself. You’d need to make something like, I dunno, a visual novel route dedicated to her to even have the time to do her justice.

So here’s my verdict on her character:

Angel Beats!: 4/10

Heaven’s Door: 6/10

xth Beat: Hype/10

6 Likes

For the record I don’t like Kanade very much! The moe in this one is very unlikable. Animade is -extremely- NO GUSTA.

However 4Koma and HD Kanade are actually good. She isn’t portrayed all over as HAHA AWW MOE HEHE and just acts like a person who’s above petty squabbles. She acts much more intelligent and empathetic. All around portrays more complex emotions as opposed to no emotions.

But yeah she’s horrific in the anime and I feel HanaKana makes it worse. I see what they’re going for but I’m worried that I’m going to feel like sleeping through all of her parts in the novel.

Seemed like the same old brick to me in HD.

Idk if it’s the way Yuriko draws her or what but when you remove the moemoe and HanaKanaing she seems alright. The Yusa thing and the other things and the MasaHisa thing all point towards good things with this one.

I wonder if Kanade Tachibana has some personal theme like this song, it maybe really awesome for her.

When I thought like that, I have knew now that If Some of OSTs of Armored Core: For Answer are suited for Angel Beats!, Some OSTs of Angel beats! are too!

Q: What is an Armored Core?
A: Armored Core is a one of very difficult mecha game series that the player must beat the game by your designed AC.
Q: So, What about Armored Core and Angel Beats! Series?
A: why I said like that, Some OSTs especially AC: for answer have mostly similar to the OST of Angel Beats! So This is the reason why I created this topic to tell everyone.

Oh well, Because Armored Core can make a mecha as you want, so I have designed ACs for all members of Girls Dead Monster already, if you want to see their AC that designed by me, Reply me I will show it you. :grinning:

I don’t get it. Instead of just using Armored Core OST, why didn’t you just say “BGM/OST from other visual novels, games, anime’s, etc. that would fit into Angel Beats!” ?

Oh, I’m sorry that I said with the wrong word.

I actually found Kanade’s emotionlessness kind of humorous sometimes. Whenever she says something that any normal person would add a lot of emotion too I can’t help but laugh.
And there’s that scene where she’s helping Otonashi steal Yui’s guitar and she’s really bad at acting. That always makes me laugh.
And I like the Mapo Tofu gag. Her Mapo Tofu song was great :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a lot of AB! characters I like a lot more, but Kanade isn’t as bland to me as characters who don’t get as much screen time (like Fujimaki or Yusa or Takeyama).

I didn’t mind Kana Hanazawa as Kanade. Her English VA made me cringe though.

1 Like