Angel Beats! - Hideki Hinata Character Discussion

Discussion of Hinata’s character in Angel Beats! and Angel Beats! Heaven’s Door. As of now all known information about the Angel Beats! anime and the Heaven’s Door manga may be discussed without the usage of spoiler tags, so be wary if you’re not familiar with them.

Have at it~
The Hype Train is eternal.

4 Likes

The fuck is a Hideki?

I don’t know anything about Hinata in Heaven’s Door but for the anime, he is my favorite character in the show. I love his smooth nature plus he was hilarious and provided quite a bit of the show’s comedy. Additionally I liked the friendship he shares with Otonashi (especially that brofist) and in some ways I felt like he should have been the main character in the anime. I also like relationship with Yui though that becomes very prominent in episode 10, when she moves on from the purgatory. . So overall, Hinata is my favorite character in Angel Beats as of now.

So, if you were to ask me- Forget Otonashi. This is the real Protagonist.

Angel Beats! is such a weird beast in how it was first devised with Hinata as the protagonist with Track Zero, yet the series took a turn with the anime in starting with Otonashi. The Heaven’s Door content was the original beginning, but due to restraints, this ‘second’ protagonist was the focus of the story. Turns out the anime gets really popular, and well, Otonashi is basically the main protag now with Hinata coming in as the secondary. Otonashi coming into the madness is also much more suitable for a VN.

This is actually my first series seeing two protagonists that are split with how the timeline works. Hinata is like relations captain and Otonashi is the hard working nice guy who brings in a new ideology and takes rein of the story. It’s interesting looking at the two from the perspective of the rest of the SSS. Hinata is just always there and kinda starts getting put to the side as things get hectic, then Otonashi comes in and becomes the hero. Really weird, but I like it. I really like it. It’s telling of how varied the universe is when you look at all its immensely different perspectives from its characters.

Also Hinata is a total badass and shows intense compassion for his role as second hand to Yuri, always looking out for her- Despite her seemingly always being a step ahead. Good effort, Hinacchi!

3 Likes

My thoughts for Hinata can be described in my post in the Favorite Character topic:

To help add more content to this discussion, let’s speculate! It’s been heavily implied that a large part of his regret was him failing to catch the ball in that winning game, thus causing a large spiral into his use of drugs and overall dissatisfaction with life. Thus, I feel that his regret in life was that he didn’t feel like he was of any use. That explains also why he was one of the last characters to leave the afterlife. He only finally came to realization that he was truly useful after everything had settled down and everyone else had been able to move on.

In that sense, I also feel him as a very relate-able character. I’m sure each and every one of us have questioned at least once whether their life was of any use, and Hinata gives a more solid foundation, teaching us how you can be useful simply by being there and being a genuine friend to others, and I love that part of his characterization as well.

I’m surprised I didn’t feel the same way towards Kud from Little Busters but eeeeh what can you do when she doesn’t really do anything to fix it, unlike Hinata

Hinata’s da real MVP.

1 Like

I laugh, every time he says “WHAT ?!? WHY ?!?!?!” In the Visual Novel :joy::joy::joy: Sorry, I don’t know how to find the audio or tag the audio, but it makes me laugh every time.

Can we just take time to wish we had a friend like Hinata ? Someone who’s always by your side, someone who will stick with you to the end, even if it means that they might get obliterated. And I agree, Hinata would be a better fit as a protagonist. His personality is a personality that would favor others, and I’m curious about how he would interact with the GirlDeMo members (excluding Yui), and how he would interact with Yusa. I was hoping for Kanade and Hinata to end up together though. I guess the Yui ship was also worth it :smiley: He even proposed to Yui. Whenever Key has proposal scenes, they always tend to be beautiful and heartwarming, AHEM (Kanon) Makoto]

10/10 Would kyakyaufufu again.
Not a whole ton to add about Hinata. He is an ultimate bro, like Kyousuke and Masato rolled into one. It will definitely be interesting to see people reacting to his backstory.

1 Like