Angel Beats! - Heaven's Door Discussion

I haven’t said this anywhere yet, but I wonder at what level Naoi is in terms of his… Well, ‘evilness’. He doesn’t look all that sinister, and seems to be genuinely interested in Kanade. His reaction is more of a ‘she isn’t just another person?’ as opposed to him being an unknowing noobie to the afterlife.

I say I wonder how far along he is on his ideas of the world because I’m curious if he’s the one who messed with Noda.

If we assume he is pretty innocent right now (which I agree on) then at this point in the Afterlife he hasn’t been found out as a human, but he hasn’t become an NPC. He must be fairly new to the world then. We know he’s intelligent, so he probably figured out some of the basic info after showing up in the world.
I assume he soon figures out what stops people from becoming NPCs and begins his violent deeds. I wonder if Kanade is a reason for his change, or if Naoi figured out the NPC-ify mechanics himself…

It’s hard to tell. He’s intelligent enough to have planned everything out before interacting with anybody and just observing.

Sounds like a safe assumption. Gives us a tiny scope as to when he was at least around. More or less, ‘Naoi is present’. Really makes you wonder how much freaking longer it is until Otonashi shows up, because he has to construct that prison of his sometime. Right? Same with other huge parts of the world, like the guild’s first and last work locations- whenever the guild is even formed. Pretty interesting…

Didn’t Naoi say something like it took a year to build the anti-Kanade wall barrier thing? I think I remember him saying that…

He said it took years. “How many years did you think it took me… yadda yadda.”
He also would have had to have extensive knowledge of Kanade’s abilities to make it anti-Kanade.

They also mentioned that they haven’t visited the “first guild” in years in ep 2 of the anime. So yeah, it must have been 5, maybe 10 years that they’ve been at it.

1 Like

Really bizarre. o_o

Damn you, Angel Beats!

Thought I should mention that I really dig Masami and Hisako’s relationship in Heaven’s Door. I dunno if their lesbians or just soul sisters, I don’t think it matters. They’re an awesome duo that really bring out the best in each other. Maybe even my favourite pair in the series.

2 Likes

First: You’re a very smart man with excellent taste. They truly are a perfect match. I’m interested to see what bonds Irie and Sekine can bring and further add to how tight and important to one another the diversion group is.

Two: One of the cool dynamics of Angel Beats that really came about in Heaven’s Door is that members of the Afterlife rely on one another to better eachother and have a good time. Seeing all their relationships building has been really nice to see. It’s hard to list standout characters because of their relationships because the people they’re commonly partnered with may just be as important to someone else for another reason. These kind of bonds were either nonexistent in the anime or impossible to fully grasp or appreciate, the exception somewhat being Kanade and Otonashi. The biggest characters I’ve found are Yuri, Hinata, Masami, Kanade and Naoi. They seem to among the ‘main’ characters because of what they bring to the story.

It’s going to be awesome (I hope) to get to see more from the friendship side of things in the VN.

So I was rereading the last few TLed chapters just now, and realized there was something I completely missed.

So the previous two times, I assumed this was just another moon image (as there is a moon two pages before) but today I realized… that’s no moon! Well, it’s not JUST a moon anyway.
You see the strange sprawling things going around that moon? Well, I think they are vines. This here, is the view you’d get looking up from the bottom of a well at night time.
On the same page as this is a shot of Yusa removing the chain from a gate. On the gate is a sign saying “Warning. No unauthorized entry.” When the gate opens, the chain has been completely removed.
At the end of the chapter, we see Yusa underwater surrounded in chains, seemingly drowning.

Now look at the text from the image above. “If this place is the so called After-Life, then in death the meaning of happiness can change, proving that it’s real.”

Yusa drowned herself at some point in order to prove to herself that no matter what, people won’t die. Maybe it happened in the past when Yusa originally disappeared. Maybe it happened just before she went to Kanade for help. Maybe she did it both in the past and in the present, explaining why the well was locked away in the first place. The only hint is the use of the word “After-Life” implying she was at least aware of the fact everyone was dead when the scene took place.

So basically, Yusa = Sadako.

There’s probably more, but the translation is pretty bad. Some of these sentences make no sense at all. I can’t even figure out what this page means.

1 Like

It’s easy to miss some things~

A few notes: What Kanade is basically saying to Yusa is that her actions were contradictory to what she was trying to figure out or portray by killing, more or less. Her cause may not be bad, but her choices were poor. (I think, anyhow)

The ‘vines’ on the moon, I took to be something in the foreground. Trees or something similar. Could also be a reflection on a shoreline or in a puddle. But it is peculiar, and the lines themselves are very cryptic.

An interesting theory, however, but it seems a bit contradictory to her actions in the years prior- Again, this can go hand in hand with Kanade’s talk about naivete. Perhaps her murders in the past were to make a point? Don’t know for sure. Another odd bit is what the purpose of ‘happiness’ is within the statement, assuming what you theorize is correct.

Good, There is a thread for Heaven’s Door.

Well, This manga got something that anime didn’t,: the characters have charisma and one (*) can love them. So I like more this prequel that the anime.

About Yusa’s arc, I have a simple theory.

Yusa is the murderer from some years ago. The reason of why she doesn’t killed more guys is because she kill men for feeling pleasure. When she killed male NPCs, she realized that they didn’t suffer, that they are not humans or something like that, so she stopped. When Yuri and her group started to attract attention and doing things that a NPCs wouldn’t do, she realized that they are humans with feelings. So Yusa decides to act again and decides to kill male members of Yuri’s group.

1 Like

Yeah I actually like that theory, and it kind of makes a lot of sense.

Now we just have to figured out what in the afterlife Kanade did to her >_<

Didn’t Kanade use Angel Player on her?

But what did she give her through Angel Player? What is Yusa’s fancy power? Something to do with physical contact at least.

I was thinking. Maybe Kanade didn’t ‘give’ her anything, but ‘took away’ something.
Like her feelings… Maybe she just turned them off.
I mean, Yusa’s not recognized for showing her emotions. She’s more like a robot with common sense.

That’s kind of a pretty nice idea but…

Is that even possible?

Probably. By using the Angel Player, Kanade and the other dude could modify and destroy (souls?) stuff.
It works as a way to programme and shape both the NPCs and the “real” players of that world they’re living in. I think it may be possible to get into someone’s brain (or modify it) and change the way they feel.

I definitely like the sound of this theory. But, how do you think Yuri figured it out just by touching her?

Hmm. What I think about here is some Newton nonsense where those feelings can’t be removed, but simply transferred over to someone else capable of bearing them. Could be a neat testament to Yuri’s strength in a way.

Anyways yeah I still don’t have a clue. At any rate you have to remember Yusa’s bounciness during the GDM show (yes, I know, in the anime). It’s all very confusing, of course. -3- I mean Yusa’s ‘Kuu’ does seem to be an integral part of her character instead of /just/ a trope. Something about this instance created that character, really, but it’s also an escape from it. What she felt has to come back up again and be addressed properly, and I think that’s the least we’re supposed to get from this.

1 Like