Angel Beats! - Heaven's Door Discussion

Exactly the same way I felt with Masami lol

Heaven’s Door really brings out a lot of things with each of the characters that was almost, or entirely, missing from them in the anime. Shiina had a fair bit, though. I think her balancing act was pretty excellent. Plus we know that she’s honorable. What we didn’t know is that she may very well be from another planet entirely.

TAIKO!

Ahhhh, sitting down to cover a few things from chapters 23 to 26. Keeping it simple here so to not attack the thread with any more excessive walls. ^^; Who am I kidding, I can never make this shit short. I will try to make it a bit more basic though.

Word of the day is ‘Interesting’, because really this manga is just that, isn’t it?

A few interesting developments, but mostly just interesting interactions happen in these chapters- The most of all being Shiina and Yuri’s talk once she awakens.

Shiina, named by Yuri and now a part of the Battlefront, talks with Yuri a bit and shares some pretty interesting information. She says she’s been in the afterlife for what feels like 3,000 days. About 8 years. She lived a life of killing without even receiving a proper name. One can assume this was not a happy life, but I think that’s expected at this point and Yuri seems fairly confident with this. It’s certainly becoming a topic at this point. Nobody in this land had a good life. She continually ran into a man who spoke of ‘games’, this is most likely Noda, but we aren’t sure, and she aims to kill those who speak of ‘games’. Yuri tells her she doesn’t have to kill anymore, and she agrees that her life purpose can change now that she’s with Yuri. Basically, this interaction leads us to learn quite a lot about Shiina and about how the afterlife is pretty illogical when it comes to time.

Hinata thought deeply about what Yuri had said about the past lives of people being unfair. He admits that his life was nothing all that great, as well as Ooyama who continues to keep quiet about his past. The rule has been set in place that the Battlefront is to never ask about the past of any other members. So, Hinata asks, what kind of horrific past brings about such a hate for god in Yuri? Who knows~ Hinata also states that if the right person comes along, he might share his past with them. He also takes another moment to talk about how amazing Yuri is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Other things of note are the naming of the seemingly non-human residents of the afterlife as NPCs, as well as the rule to not excessively disturb them. The rule to not harm them had been set in place by Yuri before, but is now accepted as part of the Battlefront.

As an official group, the leader needs a nice (and comfy) seat to rule with an iron fist work from. Yuri sends Hinata and Ooyama on an operation to overtake and redesign the Principals Office into a headquarters while Noda sets up a trap to prevent any non-member access. Yuri herself goes to try and recruit Hisako and Masami, ending up with both her and Shiina joining their band and creating ‘4 Guitar Women’. It goes so well, Hisako sacks them after they perform Crow Song (War in the Summer Ver.), but Hisako still has interest in helping their cause (Masami doesn’t really care), just, they really need a bassist and a drummer. Bonus if they’re girls. Where the hell will Yuri find that, hm? :wink:

Lastly, they need to convince the principle to relocate to the staff room. To do so, they must empty it so they can place his new desk there. Thus, a new operation to have everyone vacate the school to look at complete madness outside is formed.

1 Like

Discussion is now open to… Well, everything. Go nuts. (Ch. 32)

Do you want to elaborate on that ‘Shiina is from another planet’ theory?

Holy Yusa saflkdjsalfjhldasghfdkjvnreuhwbgashgfjdhk

Raped and pillaged confirmed.

I honestly think it’s more Shiina is from a different era entirely. The anime pretty much confirmed that the timeline in the afterlife is in no way synced with the real world.

Seems like a stretch to include other worlds in the lore out of nowhere. Knox’s 8th. Can you provide evidence?

I don’t think Knox’s rules apply here. This isn’t a mystery genre, anyways :stuck_out_tongue: Methinks you’ve had too much Umineko :laughing:

Fug you :stuck_out_tongue:
I still think it’s inappropriate to just assume some fantastical explanation when there’s zero evidence suggesting such. I’m more inclined to think she was from a different time, different place.

1 Like

Oops I put in “timeline” when I meant “era”. Edited my post anyways. But yeah, also inclined to the different time theory

I always assumed Shiina was an assassin or mercenary type figure from the past. Never felt like she was an alien~

I don’t ACTUALLY think she’s from another planet. I was just being silly. Lol.

No, it’s most likely she’s from a different era. Either feudal Japan, or ~wild theory~ a dystopian future.

Feudal Japan definitely makes the most sense to me.
Also, holy crap Yusa! This was easily the biggest twist for me, seeing such an undeveloped gag character of the Anime have such a crazy backstory. This changes so much for me!
Do we have any theories on what the handshake was all about?

1 Like

The handshake is certainly interesting, but I find another aspect to be equally intriguing. All we can assume from the handshake is that it provides Yuri with reason to trust her, and it is set up via Angel Player.

Now, the other thing. The conversation Yuri has with Kanade on the rooftop when trying to find the killer is important. I’ll make it brief.

Kanade mentions a murderer who had graduated the school 3 years ago, and the idea that it may be the same person arises via Yuri. God only knows what can happen in this crazy place, right? Smug Kanade is smug. So, without saying anything else, Yuri leaves because she figured it out already. She runs to find that the guys captured the person, with some interesting information that nobody else actually knows- The girl only attacks guys. She talks to her and explains things to her as she knows them, but isn’t successful in recruiting her BUT says something really quickly as she leaves…

“I hope at least I’ll have a normal interaction after this, with someone I’ve always thought of asking in joining.”

tl;dr, Yuri knows Yusa as the murderer in the afterlife from 3 years ago. What happened to her or where she went is quite the mystery. I sort of theorize that she was ‘banished’ from the afterlife school for causing neverending ruckus, but who really knows.

Wait, sort of confused here. I don’t remember the discussion about there being a murderer 3 years ago. So uhhh Yusa has been in the afterlife long before Hinata? and she’d been doing that since 3 years ago?

That’s the question. We see what we assume is her entering the school early in chapter 32, which is a strange experience all on its own.

Such as- Why is there a ‘Do not enter sign’ to the afterlife. >.>

What we could gather is that we already are safe to assume that Yuri has been around for ages.
Another thing is that Yusa talks about killing a -lot- of people. We only see her kill Noda & Ooyama.
More reason to think it’s the same person.

1 Like

Okay yeah, that I remember. sigh still so much about this world we fail to understand :frowning:

1 Like

And there were those that said the world wasn’t that important, yet we get so many odd details. -3-

Yusa best girl. Hand is OP

No mention of Naoi’s appearance though? I think it sets a decent time frame. In the time between his appearance in Heaven’s Door and his appearance in the anime he managed to become Vice President of the council, figured out how to create objects capable of withstanding Kanade’s attacks, and (presumably) learned how to hypnotize people. This and the progress Underground really bring the timescale into perspective.

4 Likes

Agreed. I’m glad they mentioned him now, even if they don’t bother mentioning him again for a while to come.