Siglus Hacking

Yeah the problem is after I repack it. Here is the error I’ve got: http://a.pomf.se/atqrkq.png
If the replacement lines are the problem, then how can I fix that? I don’t have any knowledge about programming. I hope provide screenshots. Thanks.

Oh wow, that’s my mistake, I apologize. I’ve reupdated ssdump: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58805276/AngelBeats_1stBeat_Trial_Tools.zip

Original the tool did spit out blank lines, but I made a modification to keep them in there. I seemed to have reverted those changes back when I uploaded the tools previously.

Got a different error this time http://a.pomf.se/osjwot.png

Ok, yeah I get the same error. I had a look at the tools and it was calculating bad offsets in the header. I’ve patched up the tools and reuploaded them, see my previous post for the Dropbox link. I’ve done some testing with it and it should work.

1 Like

Yeah I’m definitely not going to do any more on the scripts. Just took a solid hour to try and decompile day01, and then it still broke so it wasn’t at the end. That’s waaaaaaay too long for me to want to bother with at all. Someone will need to make a nice quick one in C++ or similar.

I want opinions/advice on the phrasing of Otonashi’s ridiculous names. Coming up with English words that would make sense to English-only speakers is the biggest problem. I’m also not really sure how long I can make them; I haven’t tested the translation because I’ll mess something up.

音無
Otonashi

クソ坊主
Punk
(Stolen from the anime)

代理人
Substitute

微妙すぎるイケメン
Uncanny Hunk

ロリコン
Lolicon

メガネ仲間
Glasses Comrade

暗算日本記録保持者
Japanese record holder in mental arithmetic
(Needs to be shorter)

通り魔
Phantom Slasher
(Refers to either a traveling demon that causes disasters and misfortune, or a person who attacks people on the streets for no reason. Most of the responses lean towards the demon interpretation.)

記憶ナシ男
Amnesiac

音速
Sonic speed

無限
Infinite
(This and the above one are puns on Otonashi’s real name, pretty much impossible to translate that joke)

エロ侍
Ero Samurai

エロエロ団ナンバー1
Eroero Squad Number 1

ただのエロ少年
Just an ero boy

ユリブサイク

(I think it’s ゆり + 不細工 which means “Yuri Ugly”)

ドピュッシー

(I have no idea about this one)

アメリカンエロドッグ
Horndog

ゼウス
Zeus

日向markⅡ
Hinata MKⅡ

糞虫
Dung beetle

量産型日向
Mass-production Hinata

??
??

2 Likes

For 微妙すぎるイケメン, maybe you can translate the “ikemen” part as “hunk” or “stud”. “Bishie” if you want to sound like weeb :smiley:

For 通り魔, I guess the most appropriate is “passing demon” (literal translation) or if you go to the “random attacker” interpretation, then it should be translated as “Phantom Slasher”

For 記憶ナシ男, how about “Amnesiac Guy”

ドピュッシー is probably “Debussy”, that classical music composer. Except that the ‘b’ is replaced by p. So… “Depussy”? (lol that sounds wrong)

1 Like

This actually works really well I think.

The tricky thing about that is when you introduce yourself to Irie she addresses you as “Kioku Nashio-san” like it’s a normal name.

Mr Amnesiac?

“Mr” would clash with honorifics but “Amnesiac” is a noun in itself so maybe it works with that alone. Like “Amnesiac-san/kun” I think that can work.

Oh, if you are using honorifics then Amnesia©-kun would be my choice.

This is useful. I was wondering how I should treat all these. It seems we’ve got very similar translations.

Regarding this, I had a different translation. I can’t check the exact content right now, but I translated it as something along the lines of “Tender Hunk.”

I didn’t think of anything that would be shorter than what you have there. But isn’t that fine? I mean, it’s pretty long for a name in the original text anyway.

I translated that one as Ero Ero Brigade Member 1 (I purposely changed “Number”). Maybe Haruhi is too much of an influence on me. xP

There was a Family Guy skit that played with that. (Hilarious but inappropriate skit that was.) So yeah, I think it’s that.

Hmm… Amni Siac? Nomem Ory?

Fujimaki says bimyou like it’s a negative thing though. When I was looking around there was mostly “having some unexplainable quality” and stuff along those lines. I like uncanny I stole it from Arslan Senki yesterday.

Pretty sure it doesn’t fit in the box in the current state.

That’s the strategy I was considering for the ユリブサイク. Like Yu risugly or Yurisu gly; Yuri Isugly would be way to obvious and lame.

1 Like

I hope this helps: http://a.pomf.se/vblljx.jpg

It’s more the actual name box I’m worried about; that thing is so tiny. 微妙すぎるイケメン itself barely fits.

How about “Amnesy Ackman”? or “Amnesee Ackman”? (sorry I can’t think of anything better)
Guh, it’s not working as well as the original.

Holy cow this is exciting to watch! This is probably the most public translation project I’ve ever seen… Hope Key and VisualArts are actually okay with this lol.
Although I’m pretty busy right now, and I don’t know any Japanese, I’m pretty good at English grammar and I could proofread the scripts and see if anything isn’t grammatically correct after finals.

2 Likes

@Hirato I think just “Amnesiac” is the best we’ll get: meaning is the same as the original; it’s as blunt as the original; it’s functionality as a name is a stretch but at least you don’t have to be high as a building to believe it.

@mechgamer123 How are you with usage of semicolons and such; I’m not confident about my abilities in that area.

Would there be much need for semicolons in a VN? I can’t think of any situations in past VNs where I’ve thought “y’know, there really should have been a semicolon between those two clauses.”

They are kinda outdated nowadays anyway. They don’t get much use, and knowledge of them is lacking… In the UK at least. People just brush them away.

Well it seemed like a useful tool, and I just started using it a lot. I can only look at rules and say whether it’s wrong or not; whether the semicolon is necessary or not is harder to say. I know LB! uses it a lot.