Angel Beats! - Heaven's Door Discussion

As you may or may not know- Angel Beats! has a pretty sizable story outside of the animated series that is informative and most certainly canon. I mean, they’re writing a Visual Novel and all ~!

Angel Beats! Heaven’s Door, a manga written by Jun Maeda and illustrated by Yuriko Asami, tells the story of Hinata’s entering the Afterlife and assisting Yuri Nakamura in forming the SSS to take on the all powerful ~Tenshi~. If you’ve ever wondered how the SSS came to be, or who all those people are that you never really got to see in the anime for countless reasons- This is where you should look!

Think of Heaven’s Door as a sort of teaser for things to come in the VN, as well as giving us a perspective of things we may not see elsewhere.

Please feel free to discuss anything you like within the realm of Angel Beats, as long as it pertains to Heaven’s Door.

Okay having started it last week, I kinda wanna pace myself (as compared to my usual rush reading when catching up with a manga).

Just finished chapter 4, and I guess this kinda of sets the whole premise for the story. It’s hilarious that they would think Ooyama as an NPC. Even in the anime, he was pretty devoid of personality :laughing:

Finally typing =w=

I don’t think there’s too much to say about the first 4. It sets up the rest of the manga well, introduces Hinata’s way of thinking very quickly, and even has some foreshadowing for Yuri.
The way death is presented is interesting though~ Instantly appearing there after death.
Otonashi is probably the cause for this, but I’d always assumed there was a slight delay in their perception. Like that feeling when you sleep mid-day and feel like ages have passed~!

Also… how does Yuri know all the crazy information she knows, but not know about Chaa’s weapon creation?

Can’t wait for the later chapters >.> Just after chapter 10…
Hinata x Ooyama OTP
Honestly though, Hinata is OTP with everyone. He flirts with eeeeveryone =3=

I’m cool with Hinata x Ooyama

Pretty great first couple of chapters! Certainly a lot of new information in just a short few pages added to Angel Beats. Pretty crazy.

I found it pretty interesting that the story is being told by Hinata to Otonashi, and how the SSS of course have their own uniforms. Makes me wonder who made them. And why Yuri hates the old ones so much. ^^

So, Hinata’s death is told to us almost immediately. I also find it peculiar that he knows the moments before he entered the afterlife pretty clearly, and Yuri tells him he should (after she stalks him through hallways and kicks him off the roof) remember dying- Which is no longer the case come the anime. Someone else must have amnesia in the future. :o We also see a bit of foreshadowing to Yuri when Hinata calls her out on her homicidal ways and she freaks out. -3-

We get the pretty obvious Hinata x Yuri OTP throughout the whole thing with the talk of love and all. Really. They just… Fit. But they never want to really admit it to one another. Yuri is reluctant to accept him, along with most anything due to how she separates herself from anything that promotes happiness (as Hinata notes, anyways), and Hinata constantly states how he finds her pretty and all- Fighting himself over finding her attractive at all due to her attitude… But I think he likes her~ Wants her to never be alone and be happy. He would give his life for her!.. If he wasn’t already dead. And even when he gets himself hurt, it looks pretty clear that Yuri cares for him. He even helps her tons with planning and all. Plus she likes his ideas~

Other things are of course Ooyama and his being smart enough to figure out that they’re all dead on his own. Tenshi being names by Hinata, why she made her abilities (to protect the principal, who’s been attacked -countless- times now, and by Chaa!) All very interesting!

Also worth note- Yuri knows about other people being obliterated. Just like ‘Tenshi’~

Tell me about it. Then again, she’s been there long enough- Only rivaled by Shiina and Kanade in time, having also witnessed people’s obliteration. She was certainly on the lookout for something too, seeing as how she was stalking Hinata through his being introduced into the school. Also makes sense why she kicked him off the roof, misunderstanding all of his going crazy as him understanding he was in the afterlife.

I feel like she simultaneously knows more that she lets on, and less than she thinks she does. She seems to make a lot of assumptions. Then again, there isn’t much to go on.

Another thing I thought to be interesting his how much the afterlife accommodates for those who enter it. All the NPCs know Hinata right away, he’s given a dorm, etc. Pretty interesting.

Discussion is now open up to chapter 8~

Really fun to see Oyama added into the group. He’s a nice kid and all. Good counter to Hinata and Yuri with extreme personalities

Ooyama is pretty interesting. He certainly lives up to his extraordinarily ordinary ways. In the end it’s pretty clear that he’s smart, although awkward, and no doubt has a horrific past just like the rest of them. He acts so… Strange, when it comes to sorting out one’s past. He talks as if he wishes he had someone like Hinata- With how he takes care of Yuri- To have taken care of him. I wonder if this ties in to how asking Kanade out in the anime was a big deal for him, since he’d never had anyone to call his significant other who would always be there for him unconditionally.

1 Like

Discussion is now open up to the end of chapter 14.

I only have one comment for chapter 14

Iwasawa x Hisako OTP :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What Biz mentioned a few times before about how the characters just so happen to find the kind of people they need (or needed) most makes a lot of sense, now that I’m re-reading the manga. Yuri needs Hinata when gathering members. Chaa needs Yuri and the brigade. Iwasawa and Hisako need each other.
I guess that confirms once again that the afterlife is giving people things they didn’t get during their lifetime.
The Hinata x Yuri shipping seems a bit weird in regards to the anime, but I guess the manga does need an OTP.

1 Like

I still am of the opinion of not taking the anime as seriously with the VN coming into play. Certain pairings or ways events play out in the anime can very likely have been used as a means to an end, having cost tons of individual development outside of the scheme of things being, well, non-existent… That would be just me, however.

The way that the world paired these people really is fascinating, though. How they each click is extremely interesting in how it could apply to the purpose of the world. Is it a perfect system, destine to pair individuals that require one another? Does it just turn out that way out of luck? Do they really need eachother, or could they do things alone or with someone else…? Just interesting things to think about because there isn’t really an answer- Just that they do wind up fitting together quite well. Yuri’s SSS, for example. Would it ever form had it not been for Hinata? Maybe. Maybe not. All we know is it never worked out before he showed up, but we also haven’t seen it truly fail. Peculiar stuff!

As for this one, the anime provides something that can be used as an example of the system not being quite that perfect:

Though Kanade was ultimately reunited with Yuzuru, she had to wait a long time for his arrival. On the other hand, it can be argued that the world was making use of Kanade in order to help several other people deal with their regrets. Who knows how many people were helped/obliterated by her.

By the way, are we allowed to disclose info from the anime here? xD

Pretty good point there. Certainly a lot of unknowns when you take into account that there was clearly meant to be more… Anyhow, the Manga gives me much stronger feeling along the lines of Yuri and Hinata at the very least being extremely important to one another- Where as Yui and Hinata is extremely hard for me to follow.

Along those lines, as well… It feels like it goes against the ‘made for eachother’ idea in that world. Unless Hinata is just the only super awesome guy who’d do that.

And yeah it’s good. Just spoiler it since it isn’t really the point of the thread. ^^

Bumping the discussion limitation up to chapter 22. I plan on posting something a bit large again soon about this next group of chapters and on the previous set as well.

That’s an interesting thought, Bizkit. Perhaps this whole SSS and rebelling against God was God’s plan after all. I think, based on Yuri’s trauma, it wouldn’t have been possible to fulfill it without having her lead some sort of group. Heck, a lot of things were resolved exactly because the SSS existed, even Kanade’s final meeting with Otonashi.

God is supposedly all-knowing, after all :stuck_out_tongue: Too bad they weren’t able to give him a dozen punches

It’s really interesting for sure… I tend to have never ending thoughts about this universe with all of its unknowns- Inherent or otherwise. That’s why threads like this exists and why the hype train rolls forward. There’s always more to take from something. A picture can speak a thousand words, but a thousand words can speak volumes when you read into it just a tiny bit.

And we’re looking at words on top of pictures!

1 Like

The Angel Beats world is probably the most versatile of all the Key Universes. So many stories that you can right with so many potential characters

Welcome aboard the hype train. Your ticket is your logic and intellect when it comes to writing. Enjoy your stay~