Who's experiencing Little Busters for the first time with this Bookclub?

It’ll be my first time experiencing Little Busters as well, haven’t seen the anime unless it would be better to watch it first.

1 Like

If you’ve made it this far without watching the anime, definitely do not watch the anime first.

4 Likes

I never read the fantranslation but I have have seen the anime adaptation.I guess you can say it will be my 1st time reading it when it comes to Steam. I loved the anime so much. I can now enjoy reading the visual novel.

3 Likes

I’m pretty new.

Just from the hype, the expectations are set quite high! But from my little experience with Key and their product, the quality is going to be very good. I did see some gameplay trailers with those minigames… those are going to be interesting for sure!

As far as the story, I’m assuming it is going to be made with the similar formulas as other novels, but I hope there are a lot of twists.

I’m mainly hoping I can actually keep up with the club!

2 Likes

I’ve watched a little bit of the anime, but all I really got to know is Guts, Courage, and Friendship.
So you could say I am new to the story.
Also, as for what I expect, I want a solid storyline since everyone has stated it as Key’s best work and I would be depressed to see plot holes in it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen all of the anime, but I’ve never played even a sizable amount of the VN. (I just downloaded the fan TL a long time ago to test out LB! on my PC) So essentially, I have no experience with the VN and I haven’t the slightest clue why people think the VN is way better than the anime.

I expect that I’m going to go through the story and the world of Little Busters in a very different and somewhat interesting fashion. I’m not expecting too much about the concept of the VN being better than the anime, but I’d be happy to see it become true.

For those of you new to LB! or VNs in general, keep in mind that much of LB!'s beginning is a fairly slow slice-of-life. If, like me, you enjoy the genre, great! If you’re not sure, give it a try anyway.
You can request a refund for Steam games so long as they’ve been played for less than 2 hours and owned for less than 10 days.

That being said, 2 hours is not nearly long enough to make a reasonable decision for a VN like this. Personally, I feel that at least 2 routes should be completed before you decide if the game is worth keeping.
It’s a great game with a fantastic story so I encourage all you new readers to see it through to the end.

2 Likes

I disagree. If you don’t like the common route, you won’t like the VN. The common route—the routines it goes through and the motifs it presents—is the signature portion of the greater experience. It’s the entire point of the story. If you don’t like those moments of adolescence, you’re probably best off finding something more suitable to your tastes.
As a SoL hater (iyashikei is itrashykei) the common route of Litbus is the best and most important part. If you’ve ever finished reading something comfortably, you should be perfectly fine with reading Litbus, especially with the engaging mini games and abundance of choices. It was made very accessible to those who aren’t oft-reading from the get-go because you really have to appreciate it from the get-go.

The only exception is if you like one of the heroine designs enough to get to her respective route despite not appreciating the other aspects of the VN.

9 Likes

I’m with Taka here. A commonality of everyone who calls LB shit is that they couldn’t get into the common route. Representative of the entire game or not, it’s important that you appreciate it to enjoy the rest of the game.

4 Likes

Well said. I don’t think I properly expressed my view in the last post.
The common route, while similar to slice-of-life, is very important to understanding and truly appreciating the character routes and overall story.

However, if a new player finds the common route tedious, they might not want to continue playing. Players need to decide for themselves whether the story of LB is engaging enough to them.

I’m not really new to LB, I watched the anime and was pretty much bored with it. For me LB is like the very definition of mediocre (sorry but this is really how I felt). Because of this, I’m still not sure whether to buy it or not. Here’s hoping the bookclub will change my mind.

2 Likes

This will be my first time playing through it. I’ve been meaning to get it ever since I watched the anime around 2 years ago. I will be going in mostly blind since I don’t really remember much of what happened, aside from the few episodes that focused on Kurugaya. She and Haruka were my favorite characters from the show, and I’m really looking forward to seeing them again.

2 Likes

I just started reading the little busters visual novel.
But I am not going to participate and just read at my own pace.
I do love the anime though.

I am the type that really cherishes Key VN’s and don’t try to rush finish them.
Rewrite almost took me a year and Clannad one and a half year.

I’read Komari’s Route and Rin1 of the fantl, and obviously the respective Common route parts, and watches the first few episodes (exactly and only the Komari arc) of the anime. The rest will be completely new for me. And I’ll probably do a quicker reread of what I know instead of skipping it.

It’ll be my very first time! I honestly have no expectations, because I want to go into the story completely freely. The only thing I keep thinking about is how “Little Busters” was the name of one of my favourite songs by The Pillows, haha…I remember even back in neopets days my tagline was “Little Busters” so now actually reading it feels kind of like…“finally!”

6 Likes

Like @Hardscope This will be my first time reading Little Busters. I have also not seen the animu

2 Likes

All you that haven’t read or watched LB before are in for a fun, emotionally-filled ride. :grin:

I almost wish I could read it again for the first time.

Thoughtfully looks at brick wall

6 Likes