What Non-Key music can be applied to Key stories?

The idea for this topic came up on Discord in a conversation about songs from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni that would fit as ending themes for Lucia’s route in Rewrite since they are by the same writer. Basically if you have a song/music piece not made by Key which still fits a Key novel or a specific route, you can tell about it and explain why you think it fits.

As the topic can address any story in Key’s repertoire, make sure to tag any and all spoilers, according to the Code of Conduct, with [spoiler] Text here [/spoiler] as well as providing context in the regular text before.

2 Likes

As mentioned, this started with me thinking about relating Umineko songs to Lucia’s route, so of course I’d like to start by doing just that. The song I thought fit best was Senritsu ~Shirabe~ from Turn of the Golden Witch, I believe. You can listen to it here I’ll go over the first verse(?) while relating the lines to Lucia’s route. It might be because Lucia’s route has a slew of things in common with Umineko, but it is scary how well some of these lyrics fit. Obviously, not everything can fit perfectly, but anything’s possible with imagination and a crowbar. Hopefully people know this by now, but I can’t talk about melodies and stuff for shit, so this will only be about lyrics.

目を閉じると 光が見える
Me wo tojiru to hikari ga mieru
If I close my eyes, I can see light
I can’t really pin this exact line to anything, but light is kind of a theme in this song, and Lucia’s name is derived from the Latin word for light.

耳を澄ますと 大地の吐息
Mimiwo sumasuto daichi no toiki
If I listen closely, there’s the pulse of the earth
The life of the Earth relates more to Rewrite as a whole rather than just Lucia’s route. For Lucia specifically, this could refer to her environmentalist side.

甘い誘惑 戸惑いの心
Amai yuuwaku tomadoi no kokoro
The sweet allurement. My distrait heart.
While Lucia definitely has enough troubles of the heart, I’m not sure what could count as a sweet allurement. if nothing else, we can say it refers to the parfait.

風は私を切り裂く
Kaze wa watashi wo kirisaku
The wind tears me apart
Obviously Lucia is a character who is very torn about what to do in life. If we hone in on the word wind specifically, Kazamatsuri is written as “Wind Festival.” This means we can say it’s living in Kazamatsuri, and by extension the modern world, which tears Lucia apart.

ひとつ消えれば ふたつ消えゆく
Hitotsu kiereba futatsu kieyuku
When one is to vanish, then two will vanish
I really like this line; it fits well with how, in the climax, Kotarou and Lucia both say that they would die without the other.

灯りは命さす調べ
Akari wa inochi sasu shirabe
The lamplight is a melody that pierces life
This line is a translation nightmare, and I could make it mean anything depending on the context. Once again Lucia relates to light, so it could be about that. The “pierce” could be about how deadly she is or in a sense of learning to understand life; it’s so vague.

花は自ら 散り行く無常
Hana wa mizukara chiriyuku mujou
The flowers fall apart on their own, so evanescent
Do I even need to explain how flowers dying relates to Lucia?

歴史は回る 回るメリーゴーラウンド
Rekisi wa mawaru mawaru merry go round
History is a merry-go-round that spins around and around
Not sure what to say about this one; Lucia’s route doesn’t really have a theme of repetition like Umineko. One thing that repeats is how Lucia in a way relives the Asahi Haruka events numerous times.

強張る体を揺らして
Kowabaru karada wo yurashite
Shaking my tensed body
唇噛み締め 真実を見る
Kuchibiru kamishime shinjitsu wo miru
Biting down on my lips, I gaze at the truth
These last 2 lines seem to indicate the narrator coming to a painful realization. There are a couple of times that could apply to: realizing her poison has grown too strong, realizing she doesn’t have a purpose, or realizing she has to live underground for the rest of her life.

2 Likes

It’s an odd choice, but I believe Keane’s Everybody’s Changing incidentally ties in to one of Clannad’s central themes.

In both School Life and After Story, Tomoya struggles to accept the idea that change is an inevitable part of life for him. When he sees his classmates prepare for exams, and his best friend find a job with the help of a guidance counselor, it makes him realize that he has to move forward. Sometimes, he does this mechanically, as he really doesn’t see any other options. Other times, as in After Story, he does it out of a sense of responsibility to pay back those who care so much for him. But even as Tomoya starts to move forward, he can’t help resenting the subtle ways his hometown changes, such as the newly-installed traffic lights and the business sprouting where there were none before. This adjustment period is reflected well in the song’s chorus.

So little time
Try to understand that I’m
Trying to make a move just to stay in the game
I try to stay awake and remember my name
But everybody’s changing and I don’t feel the same

Here, the singer laments how life changes faster than he can perceive it and any little concessions he makes to adjust to said change are insufficient, creating a sense of isolation and confusion within him. This last part specifically parallels Tomoya’s general attitude towards his environment through most of School Life. In the romantic routes, Tomoya finds a permanent fixture he hopes will never change, particularly in Nagisa, he pretty much serves as life support for the poor guy.

(After Story spoilers) [spoiler] I feel the second verse (in an admittedly understated fashion) relays how Tomoya feels when Nagisa dies in a heart-rending way. This feeling of someone slipping away from the edge of your fingers, leaving you powerless to stop it ties well into Tomoya’s general distaste for change.

You’re gone from here
Soon you will disappear
Fading into beautiful light
'Cause everybody’s changing
And I don’t feel right [/spoiler]

5 Likes

A lot of Key music falls into the new age genre, and thinking about Tomoyo After’s soundtrack in particular while listening to similar music in the genre, I think there’s at least one song that might fit within the game.

Maybe it’s not a perfect match, but somehow I get Hope vibes listening to this… :cry:

@Hardscope @EisenKoubu, You’re not really making an argument if you only post the song. People can have very different reaction to music, so you should make your own clear first. As I’ve said, I’m not sure how to talk about music, but maybe you can do something about how these songs make you feel compared to the originals. Also, Eisen, I can’t play that video. It might be a regional thing.

Joe hisaishi could probably have made some great music for Clannad or Air

edit: sorry, didn’t realize you wanted an explanation.
A lot of his music feels very nostalgic, yet transient at the same time, and this composition in particular fits the summer-y yet tragic atmosphere of parts of clannad very well. also, If you haven’t watched The Tale of the Princess Kaguya yet, the ending is absolutely soul-crushingly tragic, and this is the music it uses for that scene:

Yeah, very Keyish I’d say

2 Likes

(Rewrite) This could have been Kotori’s ending song. Heck, an instrumental version of it could have been her theme song. I’d like to believe that the song choice is self-explanatory - shake it now, baby, now.

Stay classy, Kotori.

4 Likes

Personally I get a really Littler Busters! vibe from that song. It definitely has some similarities to (LB track name spoilers) “Boys Don’t Cry” and “The Boy’s Farewell.”

I was just doing my usual stuff… mostly doing nothing, yeah. And then it hit me.
Robbie Williams - The Road to Mandalay can be considered as an awesome song to be inserted in Moon & Terra Routes in Rewrite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqWbRGEM7w

Here comes the dragons of Rewrite spoilers… below of this line.

[spoiler]Save me from drowning in the sea
Beat me up on the beach
What a lovely holiday
There’s nothing funny left to say
Those lines would be reffering to Kotarou suddenly awakening in his own room…
With no memories and not even knowing his own name.

This somber song would drain the sun
But it won’t shine until it’s sung
No water running in the stream
The saddest place we’ve ever been
Walking around the streets of empty Kazamatsuri… Seeing it being razed, dead, and mostly green & grey.

Everything I touched was golden
Everything I loved got broken
On the road to Mandalay
Every mistake I’ve ever made
Has been rehashed and then replayed
As I got lost along the way
All of the heroine routes are done… and lost.
And here he is, on the Moon. At the place, where it was all going. The last place, place where it would all ultimately end.
He found his way to Kagari and her Theory of Life. All of his doings are recorded there. Rehashed. Replayed.
And he is lost… He did achieve happiness before. But he never managed to save every of his dear friends.
Now he can’t even remember why he is here or what he has to do…

There’s nothing left for you to give
The truth is all that you’re left with
Twenty paces then at dawn
We will die and be reborn
Kagari is also there. All of the world branches are dying… Pretty much no hope is left.
She gave it all, she tried, she did her best… and the only thing she’s got left with is truth. Truth full of despair.
Though, there would be a glimpse of light later… and the world would be reborn one last time.

I like to sleep beneath the trees
Have the universe at one with me
Look down the barrel of a gun
And feel the moon replace the sun
And here we go into the Terra side.
Kotarou of the beginning and the end.
Not the one whom we’ve come to know, but the one who has always been there.
He meets Earth Kagari and strangely attracted to her…
This time around he went Guardian till the end and ultimately betrayed it.
Always going by the edge of a sword, almost literally looking at the guns pointed at him.
But the Moon is up there, and it still looks after its sister, Earth.

Everything we’ve ever stolen
Has been lost returned or broken
No more dragons left to slay
Every mistake I’ve every made
Has been rehashed and then replayed
As I got lost along the way
This part would refer to the Gaia rampage and the start of “Salvation”…
Everything is getting broken, and not much can be done but forcing your way through it all.
All of his mistakes in Terra are starting to get painfuly clear for Kotarou…
And he is lost again.

Save me from drowning in the sea
Beat me up on the beach
What a lovely holiday
There’s nothing left to say
Kotarou saving lil’ Akane from the Grey World and being pushed away from there by Tsukuno & his own parents.
He may not have any longer, but ultimately… he is saved. And there is nothing left to say.[/spoiler]

Yeah, something like this xD Hope it wasn’t too forceful.

3 Likes

Any ost from narcissu
As an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6CGujQIqdk

I wonder if the Russian composer Sergey Erbog of Silent Owl has been influence by Japanese anime OSTs for his music on Everlasting Summer Bright side. There are many tunes that I feel would fit right in with Clannad, just two samplers here

1 Like

Considering that “Everlasting Summer” was sorta written on the 2ch at 1st… And genre they written it in, you are safe to assume that they indeed were inspired by Japanese visual novels (music, narration, and so on).

…it feels like everyone’ve read «Бесконечное Лето», and I’m the last one who didn’t <_<

This from Steins;Gate 0 makes me think of Harmonia - for obvious reasons although the melody in Harmonia is even nicer.

星の奏でる歌 -music box ( A Song Played by the Stars - Music Box Version )

1 Like

So I was just listening to songs composed by Ensou (he likes doing Vocaloid songs in Filipino), and then I looked into Event Horizon’s lyrics. I’m pretty sure this is a love song, but something about it reminds me of Little Busters! haha, considering the theme of (Refrain) people separating then eventually reuniting.

PS: I think this might even work with (Clannad) the After Story Route.

I think!

Great Days, well the second half anyways,

Breakdown, Breakdown, Listen (up)
Breakdown, Breakdown, Listen
Breakdown, Breakdown
Breakdown, Breakdown

Let the voice of love take you higher
With this gathered power, go beyond even time.
Let the joy of love give you an answer
With a purpose that’s unbreakable even when we part
1999 Bizarre Summer
The courage we exchange will birth our hymn
Great Days

Breakdown, Breakdown
Breakdown, Breakdown
Breakdown, Breakdown
Breakdown, Breakdown

1 Like

I’ve come across a few songs by GReeeeN that make me think of Little Busters (mostly involving Refrain so spoilers ahead, even if they’re somewhat ambiguous and poetic in meaning)

BE FREE (this was a song in a MAD video for LB! so that’s always what I think of now)

[spoiler]Why do we trouble our hearts…
Who wants to cry? Why does it hurt?

In those times we certainly take notice of each other
Our emotions become entangled
And forgiveness leads to healing
As we long for a bit of warmth from each other
Our days are filled with pride
Your days and mine flow towards tomorrow
Towards tomorrow! Towards tomorrow!

BE FREE, let’s leave all the sadness behind
BE FREE, tomorrow will be a fine day! I know in my heart…
BE FREE, the flowing river leaves us behind again today
BE FREE, we’ll surely be stronger tonight

Spring and summer end, fall and winter arrive
Time is found within an irreversible moment
Even if the world is full of nothing but lies
I know the two of us can make it together[/spoiler]

Then also Sora E no Tegami, which sounds like Riki talking to Kyousuke in the second half… but as if Refrain didn’t have such happy ending

[spoiler]When you set out on that journey alone
Your smile when you found
Fun and happy things
Turns the rain into a rainbow

I remember our last conversation
Things I want to say to you
Are still shut away in my heart
I hope one day I can put them in a letter

I couldn’t say “I’m sorry” or “thank you”
I can never go back to that place
One day I’ll send you a letter
And write “See you later…”

I couldn’t say “goodbye” when we parted ways
I still have regrets about that
But because it’s you
I’m trying to smile

Days and months have passed
But I want to see your smile unchanged
I won’t make you worry about me
I’ll do my best too[/spoiler]

I was listening to this song lately and was kinda surprised at how well it fits with Clannad After Story, especially with the lyrics. For any Shinkai fans who watched 5 Centimeters Per Second, PREPARE FOR FEELS.

Here is where I got the translation from and let’s just assume for argument’s sake that they are accurate since I don’t know Japanese that well. I won’t post the full lyrics here because otherwise, this post gets a lot longer than intended.

Lyric reference: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/bfivecm/bfivecmonemoretime.htm

TL;DR: There are a lot of parallels between the lyrics of this song and a particular time in Clannad, particularly After Story . While not everything matches up and a lot of it is just common sediments that lovers or broken hearted ones say, it still is really surprising that there are these many similarities. It is almost if Tomoya himself picked up guitar lessons and sung this.

Right in the first stanza, there is a pretty obvious mirror to the events of After Story, especially Nagisa’s death, and Tomoya’s feelings:

“If I lose any more than this, will my heart be forgiven
How much pain before I can see you again
One more time, please don’t change the season
One more time to the time when we fool around”

The first line could easily be interpreted to be Tomoya’s feelings about all the sins he has and still is committing by running away from Ushio. I see it as him wondering if the more he is punished by having his family taken away (which DOES happen) that he will be forgiven, either by himself or perhaps Akio and Sanae. The second line is an obvious reference to Nagisa and the last two are even sadder when relating it to Nagisa’s passing.

The second stanza has some lines that honestly sound like they were being uttered by Tomoya himself, particularly the first line:

“Making me indulge more in my selfish way
One more chance tripped by memories
One more chance we cannot choose our next place”

Tomoya has always been a selfish character to an extent, but this paints it in a far different light. This line along with the entire song highlight a lot of startling similarities in unrequited love and mourning a loss of a loved one. The line about “being tripped by memories” also plays well into the character development of Tomoya not being able to accept what has happened after Nagisa passed away at birth.

Now a lot of the song, for the beautiful imagery it uses to convey the singer’s feelings, it also has the theme of missing a loved one and wanting them back more than anything. Thus, there will inevitably be a ton of similarities and I won’t go over ALL of them since I will repeat myself even more. Here are a half dozen more lines that I felt have startling parallels to After Story:

“If my wish is to be granted, please bring me to you right now”

This one is obvious, but wishes are central to the story of After Story. By the end of After Story Okazaki does get his wish finally granted and while wishing for a loved one to come back, it’s interesting that it is mentioned in the song too.

“I always end up looking somewhere for your smile”

Another fairly common sediment, but think back to all the times Okazaki thought of Nagisa. In the picture he frequently saw framed of her, Nagisa’s smile was always visible and this is something Okazaki saw commonly when she was alive.

“If miracle was to happen, I want to show it to you right now
A new morning, myself”

Same idea like the one about wishes, but I found the second line there about a new morning interesting. While much of the song could fit in the timeline between Nagisa’s death and Tomoya meeting Ushio, referring to a new morning and myself implies a change. It would fit well post meeting Ushio and be him trying to communicate with Nagisa, saying that if a miracle like many of the others that have happened were to happen to him, he’d want to show Nagisa how different and more responsible he is. If this is all to fit in the timeline of him losing her, he could also just be being sarcastic here in a jaded way, implying that every day just blends in and feels the same after Nagisa died.

“Betting and embracing everything”

Betting usually implies gambling, which I find interesting since that is exactly what Tomoya did like his father proceeding his Fathers death.

“There’s nothing else that I want
Nothing else is more important than you”

This is the last line I will discuss, but this reflects the attitude of Tomoya after he lost his wife. He disregarded Ushio and in some respects Sanae and Akio since he has a lot of painful memories that are tightly linked to them. And while Tomoya was in denial and reclusing, he desperately wanted her back and it was clear by the way he acted.

Just started on Umineko Question Arc and this track immediately leapt out as one that could fit right into the LB! soundtrack, in fact with the seagull cries it suits Mio…

1 Like

After watching the AIR anime, this song came strongly to my mind. In fact it’s pretty good for Key stories generally

Lyrics

On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won’t understand
“Don’t accept that what’s happening
Is just a case of others’ suffering
Or you’ll find that you’re joining in
The turning away”

It’s a sin that somehow
Light is changing to shadow
And casting it’s shroud
Over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone
We could find that we’re all alone
In the dream of the proud

On the wings of the night
As the daytime is stirring
Where the speechless unite
In a silent accord
Using words you will find are strange
And mesmerized as they light the flame
Feel the new wind of change
On the wings of the night

No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It’s not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there’ll be
No more turning away?

Gutten Morgen I’m going to spoil like all of Little Busters thanks.

There is a piece from The House in Fata Morgana entitled “Giselle” which uses its beautiful Portuguese vocals to sing about the desire for closeness and the pain of isolation which really speaks to the core tenant of Little Busters.

When looking at the various members of the Little Busters as a collective one will find that they have a common connecting link and that is their sense of otherness. Just as Kud is outcasted for being a strange little foreigner, so is Kurugaya treated as an unfeeling genius, Haruka written off as a troublemaker and so on. The cast of Little Busters are all estranged from a true sense of normalcy and it is through Riki’s sense of empathy that the girls are able to change and see parts of themselves and the world around them that they never got to know.

Enter “Giselle”. I won’t speak to the context of the song itself, rather just recommend that everyone read Fata Morgana as it is a wonderful story, but it’s lyrics really tap into this idea of salvation through empathy that so defines Riki as a character. Lines such as:

Although I tried searching your thoughts
With my own eyes
Your colour was so cold
And you always withheld your words
Please do not keep me at a distance

Can so readily relate to the plights of characters like the aforementioned and Mio. Characters who put up a facade, or otherwise block others out as a means of coping with a word that has–either verdantly or inadvertently–isolated them. This reference to withholding words can both literally refer to Mio whose reservation manifests in a lack of speech as well as characters like Haruka who, while speaking often, are insincere in their words and actions. A later verse of “Giselle” reads:

Even if I cannot touch your heart
I can touch your body
Your hands are not cold
Your skin will not burn me
No matter what shame or despair you are hiding

Specifically the lines “Your hands are not cold // Your skin will not burn me.” Speak wonders to the idea of empathy so powerfully expressed through Riki. Where as verses like the previous spoke well to characters with reservations, in liines like this I see the struggles of characters like Kud, Kanata, or even Kurugaya, whose pain comes from their own shame. It’s things like Kud’s feelings of failure when compared to her mother or the history of pain that Kanata and Haruka endured that really resonate with these lines through Riki. “Your skin will not burn me // No matter what shame or despair you are hiding.” What Riki offers, as is offered through the verses of this song, is asylum for these girls who feel alone and are hurting.

And I will leave this tirade with the final verse of the song:

I keep on waiting only because of love
I want to be at your side in this instance
I only want to hold you

Which really speaks for itself. Go read Little Busters you nerds. And Fata Morgana too.

3 Likes