Super Mario 64 Online

Just a few days ago, possibly one of the greatest videogame mods of all time was released.
This is a mod for Super Mario 64, which when played on an emulator, allows you to connect to a server someone has hosted and play with many (and I mean MANY) other players.

Unlike most other multiplayer mods for games like SM64, everyone has their own seperate client and emulation, so there’s no syncing issues, and you each have your own camera/perspective. This also means that people can be in different areas of the game at the same time.
There are a decent few different characters to play as, with different postives and negatives for each of them. The creator plans to add more features, and they want to create custom maps specifically for multiplayer too.
Speaking of custom maps, it is possible to use this mod with quite a few other ROM hacks, which overhaul the game. It may take some fiddling and questioning around though.

There’s a bunch of Nintendo fans and non-Nintendo fans on Kaza that I think would have a blast playing this with us, I know a decent amount that are interested already!

If you’re in the discord, just yell at people and we can get a game going.
Let’s organise something maybe and play it sometime!

4 Likes

I’m without internet right now, but tomorrow when I get my wifi set up (hopefully 5pm BST ish), I’m gonna want to play a lot of this! Hit me up in discord tomorrow if you wanna play.

WTF!? This sounds incredible.

1 Like

<---- Is a young’un who has never played SM64

inb4 cease and desist

1 Like

Sign me up! I’d like to get Rokkenjima in on this too

But first we need to talk about parallel universes

2 Likes

Is this playable without a controller?

Certainly something which caught my interest since I enjoyed SM 64. Will definitely join if I can.

Yeah definitely. Might take some configuring to get the key config that is the most comfortable, but the dev for this actually used keyboard while making it!

Nice, I’ll give it a try on my own to set it up and get used to the controls and I’ll join in afterwards if you plan on doing a big play session.

This looks pretty neat! If I can get around to trying it and setting it up then I may join in with Kaza at some point! It’s been like 5 years since I played Super Mario 64 DS anyway (and may be a better starting point for anyone that hasn’t played 64 yet).

The video was taken down… Does that mean the mod will die?

No, there’s a new video up, and download links will never run out. We played some today.

So, shall we organise a Kazoku game night for the weekend of the 30th~?

1 Like

RIP https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/nintendo-shuts-down-super-mario-64-online-mod/

I say we organize an event once prop hunt is in at least and after they get that specific emulator setup or whatever.

1 Like

SM64 is actually a game I’ve never played, despite having an N64 myself.
I’d be interested in playing it with everyone, if I’m invited, of course. :worry:
I’m pretty ignorant on how to set these kinds of things up. Would an emulator such as Project64 work for this?

Yep, that’s right.

1 Like