Summer Pockets Rough Note - English Translation

Hungry for more Summer Pockets details? Then read on, because the wonderful Khsellhu has prepared for us a complete English translation of the Summer Pockets Rough Note booklet that was included in the Comiket 91 Key Set! It includes profiles the four main heroines. We'll be providing images of the

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/summer-pockets-rough-note-english-translation/
8 Likes

Phew… That’s a lot of information! Thanks again for the article, @Khsellhu, @RyuuTamotsu @Yerian and @Aspirety

Shiroha Naruse is likely going to be my favorite character. I instantly identify with her struggle to connect with those outside her family and failing to pick up on social cues that might hint at someone’s emotional state. I’m impressed to find I don’t really feel she falls strictly under an archetype. She’s not quite an emotionless girl, but she doesn’t exclusively fit the mold of a shy moe girl either. Much like her feelings of “longing for the city”, she’s “complex”. I also find it realistic how she seems to let her guard down around someone who’s coming back to the island. Although he’s been there before, he’s sure to see just as many things that have changed as they have stayed the same. For once, Shiroha knows that she can talk and explain about certain things to him that she couldn’t really be sure others would be interested in. Her design fits pretty well, too, her slightly narrow eyes capturing the look of someone who’s private, yet the little blush on her cheeks hints she might have a yearning to make friends.

Ao Sorakado I may not personally identify with her as I do Shiroha, but Ao looks to be another character I’ll enjoy reading about. Her tomboy, extroverted, take-charge nature is one I’ve encountered in friends I’ve had irl. I believe being able to identify these characters in real-world experience adds a layer of authenticity to them. It’s endearing the way she can connect with kids, a sensable skill considering the way she’s compared to a boy-scout, as a lot kids are adventurous, rough and tumble, and eager to tackle new things. I’m a bit curious about how her being a closet-pervert really fits in, however. Perhaps she’s supposed to be extremely hormonal? Could it be connected to her desire not to deal in romance and love? Even with those resistances, her desire still brims out in other ways? The only thing I’m not big on is her design. Maybe it’s just because her head is cocked, but I don’t like the way her eyes seem comparably low on her face. It’s almost as if there is too much bare space on her forehead.

Kamome Kushima unlike the other two, she definitively falls under the childhood-friend love interest archetype. Which is interesting, because the article implies it’s unlikely they could have known each other. Regardless, I would be shocked if they didn’t have a past connection, perhaps an incidental one that they can’t conclusively say the other was a part of. Her motivation to find something on the island fits well with her unbridled curiosity. Na-Ga mysteriously didn’t go into detail on her suitcase, so I’m curious what types of things she has in it. Maybe doo-dads for climbing up cliff-sides, or navigating dark caves? Her cutsey design and the fact she’s a childhood friend makes me wonder if her chemistry with the lead will be similar to the one Kotarou has with Kotori in Rewrite. On a side note, the writer’s statement about exploring the island hypes me up for an immersive setting.

Tsumugi Wenders I’m not entirely sure what to make of her. Her design feels like a token-mini-moe look, similar to Mei’s in Clannad, but her personality generally seems to fit a stoic yet considerate mold. As the bio indicates, she doesn’t force her beliefs and opinons on others, giving her a likeable air. The old-fashioned rules she follows indicates she follows old-fashioned rules and behaviors from years past I imagine, or potentially they’re referring to her German heritage (nice to see another foreign heroine). It’s interesting that of all the heroines, she’s the one who has the cutsey “Mugyu” affectation. Since the article says it’s related to a worry of hers, I wonder if it’s something she’s said since she’s young, an embarassing sign of her past? It does hint emotional investment in her presumably well-educated self, and her confidence in understanding rules of all stripes. The last statement about her weak points intrigues me. I’m not honestly sure what the article’s referring to here.

The hype is real.

EDIT: Thanks, @Purple, for reprimanding me for my egregious forgetfulness, and @BlackHayate02, for correcting my misconception.

5 Likes

@Khsellhu and I have already developed a headcanon:

• Shiroha is actually a doll
  • Ao is actually Sana
  • Kamome is actually a ghost
  • Wenders is actually an immortal youkai

It took us a long time to carefully craft these detailed theories, so they’re completely foolproof (probably).

12 Likes

If this is something related to the 140 BPM, I think he’s just referring to the music tempo his compositions will end up with. :relaxed: A tempo of 140 BPM is quite fast (checking the MIDI files I got, a Key music in that exact tempo would be Sunbright, Lucia Konohana’s theme, while Mag Mell is at 145), and considering that Summer Pockets will seem to have a peaceful ambiance, a tempo like that would seem unlikely. (Not completely impossible though; Maeda’s Country Train is at the tempo of 152 BPM, and its energy is quite restrained… which is very typical Maeda music.)

I’m really liking the ambiance so far. Basing on impressions on the notes, I think I’ll end up liking Sorakado or Kamome a lot. But who knows~

3 Likes

Poor Kud.

Rich girl best girl

5 Likes

Ao sounds like a fun character. I think I might like her a lot. :kurumu: I tend to like those kinds of characters.

The other girls don’t sound too bad either.

I’m definitely looking forward to this.

2 Likes

Oh shit, now I’m actually starting to get hyped for the new game as well. All four characters sound promising to me!

1 Like

Ao sounds exactly like Mion from Higurashi to me, which I’m quite okay with!

2 Likes

Personally, I absolutely love Ao’s character. She’s got the best design and rather nice introduction.
I have my doubts on “ero-delusions” part, especially now that I’ve partially browsed through Dengeki Magazine’s January article on SamaPoke… I just hope this game won’t end up as an eroge. And if it ends, I hope it won’t be a simple money-sinker.
Kamome doesn’t look that bad also, though pirates… and her design as of now looks a bit plain. Definetely, not to my liking.
Same goes for Shiroha.
Then there is Wenders who’s got a lot of backlash already.
I don’t think that she is bad, actually. At first it felt like she would be yet another now-so-popular chu2byo character, but seems like that was a wrong assumption. She is introduced like a solid and rational girl.
…Well, we won’t know till the release how it will all actually play, but I have some expectations for the game.

Also, this is foulproof! :kyouevil:

In all honesty, I remember someone talking about this setting fitting ideal with horror… I am not really a fan of the genre, but it would be nice once in a while I guess. Especially, if they tackle a bit with supernatural.
But, well, all of this is a pure specualtion. Not enough context is given to us yet… it can be anything.

1 Like

Is it just me that feels tsumugi has a bit of similiarity with shizuru? :laughing:

2 Likes

Hmm I see where you’re getting at. Somewhat silent but direct

Although, unlike shizuru, she can get a bit pushy (based on the side story they’ve shown so far)

1 Like