Speedrun Discussion Topic

I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t already a topic for this, given how relatively big speedruns are nowadays. I figured it’d be fun to make a topic for people to talk about speedruns and speedrunning in general. Whether it be just showing off videos of your favorite runs, talking about speedgames that interest you, complaining about the GDQ lineup, or whatever, speedrunning is a spectator sport that I’ve followed for years and years now, and means a lot to me.

I’ll kick us off by helping bridge the gap between speedruns and visual novels with my very recent (and currently relevant) planetarian Skipless% world record! Obviously it has full planetarian spoilers, so watch at your own risk.

But aside from speedrunning planetarian, I’ve also dabbled in speedrunning a lovely little metroidvania called Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (specifically AVIB categories) which was featured at the last GDQ. They’re both great and people should check them out.

That aside, I’ve been following speedruns in some way shape or form for at least 8 years now, starting with Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask and moving on to (among many others) Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Sunshine, Mario 64, Crypt of the Necrodancer, A Link to the Past, Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom, a handful of randomizers if you count those, etc.

Speedrunning is great, so let’s talk. Post some of your favorite runs, talk about what ties you have to speedrunning, boast about your most beloved speedgames. I saw that there was a LitBus speedrun thread so I know there’s at least some interest. Level with me here.

6 Likes

During the winter fest LB Speedrunning competition, I had the fastest time out of participating teams with 33:46, but @HeliosAlpha holds the current world record at 32:42.

Some of my favorite speedruns are probably the AGDQ awful block ones like Arabian Nights, Dog’s Life, and Mohawk & Headphone Jack along with some really cool ones like TASBot Brain Age and N++ co-op. I don’t really watch speedruns outside of GDQ though.

1 Like

Not normally one for speedrun stuff, however that one Jak and Daxter run by Bonesaw was pretty good. It’s more of a journey than a run, but it’s fun to watch.

This was an incredible watch. Congrats on finally securing the world record Link :deino:

Little Busters! has a couple of categories. For the festival it was starting from a clean slate till the end of Refrain. I personally like doing the School Revolution ending starting from when you select the mini game difficulty. Both of those take around 30 minutes. I guess you can also All Routes or 100% CG runs; could probably take an hour if you play with shooting on.

LB! is still like interesting to run because of the steam release. I think it would be mad to attempt any other big Key game. I wouldn’t want to deal with RealLive or Siglus for a speedrun.