Sora no Method Discussion

“this crazy bitch who has dragged me around town making me do complete stupid shit while raving about some insane bullshit seems like the kind of person I should throw my full support behind, not like I don’t have another strong, not insane, candidate for a first friend to expand my social circle with”

That’s bad.

2 Likes

Nonoka seems to be kinda weird in the head. It’s understandable that she would want to help out her new friend but she’s well aware of the weirdness that girl’s goal. But she goes along with it anyway without thinking about the implications of that goal.

I didn’t expect you of all people to be so calculative. Kids don’t think of strategies on how to “expand their social circle” in the most efficient and profitable way. It’s an easy process, really. We’ve seen it in that bus scene. One nice talk is all it takes.
“Hi. Let’s be friends.” That’s it.

I’m not sure I’d say she’s weird in the head. Just too kind. She got dragged into something, and didn’t back out… but shutting someone down when they are so passionate about something is hard to do.

I remember when I was little, there was a bully in the school that everyone hated. One day they tried to steal from me, to which I replied “don’t bully or I won’t be your friend!” He was one of my best friends until the end of secondary school. (Highschool? Whatever those Americans call it.)

It’s not a simple “something”. It’s a quite large-scale “something” and they’ll make an enemy of the entire city if they succeed. And for what? Just for a minor, extremely selfish wish of an obviously selfish girl. I mean, her childhood friend’s family seems to run a business that profits from that thing she’s trying to remove!

And Nonoka didn’t even want to do that in the beginning. She knew it’s weird. She’s obviously weird for having that sudden change of heart.

The best move in this situation (if you still want to be friends) would be to try and talk her out of her idiocy or to pretend to go along with it, just to stop her from doing anything stupid. But she actually really wants that girl’s selfish dream to come true -_-

Ok maybe I was thinking a bit too much from Nonoka with that statement.
Regardless, this bitch be cray cray and I can’t agree with Nonoka embracing her silly goal so quick and easily.

Also way to be a dense bitch and not notice your other friend cares about and is probably deeply connected to the saucer.

1 Like

She tried the first option already which led to a defiant “I’ll just do it on my own” thing, and it’s too early to say that Nonoka isn’t doing the second option. Nonoka basically said that she just wants to help her friend, and that the UFO stuff is just a means of doing that. She doesn’t look dead set on the UFO stuff, and would probably go along with anything that makes Yuzuki happy in the end, especially if another friend comes along who wants the UFO to stay. I imagine that (on the topic of Yuzuki’s dream) it’ll actually all come down to family issues, specifically between Yuzuki and Sōta.
I think saying “she actually really wants that girl’s selfish dream to come true” is a bit presumptuous, and it’s way too early to say anything of the such. We’re two episodes in. The main cast aren’t even acquainted yet.

Nonoka confirmed for cat. I guess we should called her Nekoka

[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:24, topic:598”]
It’s not a simple “something”. It’s a quite large-scale “something” and they’ll make an enemy of the entire city if they succeed. And for what? Just for a minor, extremely selfish wish of an obviously selfish girl. I mean, her childhood friend’s family seems to run a business that profits from that thing she’s trying to remove!
[/quote]Why are you getting so worked up about this? You don’t even know what the saucer even is yet. Noel could actually be a demon and the saucer could be some evil thing that should be removed. And even more obvious than the fact that Noel is connected to the saucer is the fact that Yuzuki has been deeply hurt by it.

Whats more weird than Yuzuki’s crazy obsession over the saucer is the fact that no one else seems to know, or even care about what it is and why its there.

1 Like

If that was the case, and Yuzuki were the only one who knows about the saucer’s evil plans and fighting to protect her city, that would be quite fine with me. But it’s not. Yuzuki just goes around making trouble for everyone and ignoring their opinion for her personal Vendetta. Seriously, can you call yourself someone’s friend if you’re trying to ruin your friend’s family business just to make yourself feel better? And if that wasn’t selfish enough, she’s dragging an unrelated person into it that would suffer A LOT for supporting her. Nonoka just recently moved in. It would be pure hell if everyone in the city started hating her and her dad. But Yuzuki doesn’t care.

Even if the saucer turns out to be evil later on and Yuzuki accidentally ends up saving the city, it wouldn’t make her any less selfish.

“We know nothing about that thing, so let’s just assume it’s evil. Screw that blue-haired weirdo. She’s probably a demon or something. We should drive her away. No, scratch that, let’s play it safe and just kill her.”

That kind of thinking disgusts me to no end -_-
I’m rather glad that the people in SnM didn’t try to bomb the saucer out of fear.

1 Like

Then don’t think it :stuck_out_tongue:
Yerian said nothing about assuming it’s evil. You don’t need to think in extremes, and you don’t need to put words in other people’s mouths.
The possibility of it being evil is there. We can’t just assume the saucer is totally harmless, and it makes sense to be suspicious about it’s activity, or lack of such. It could be totally harmless, in which case Yuzuki is in the wrong, but if it isn’t harmless the rest of the people living there are in the wrong.
From what we’ve seen, the townspeople either live with the saucer and ignore it, or get angry at it. Nonoka, as an outsider, may think rationally about it all. Maybe she won’t fall into the extremes you present. Maybe there is a fence between the two fields. Maybe the saucer is both a hindrance and a blessing.

Man you guys think about these things a lot hahaha. I just watched the episode yesterday and it was decent I guess. Entertaining enough, but I wish they would introduce the characterization of everyone else a bit quicker. Or I dunno, they may be doing a one episode per character thing.

I don’t think about the saucer too much except for the fact that it will be a major plot point towards the end of the series. It does kind of surprise me that the people seem to be able to coexist with it. I would think that civilized society would at least go up there and try to understand what it is. But eh, putting real life logic into anime never works.

Anyways a lot of the grunt on this whole Yuzuki vs the town on the saucer seems to be hinged on the fact that it is a stupid thing to do. Yes it is a stupid thing, it can potentially ruin relationships. And that’s the point. They’re kids, and they don’t think things through. Like how she wanted to go to that island by herself despite being told of the safety risks (which we viewers are not aware of yet). Everything she is doing is very childish because she is a child (in the eyes of society, at least).

So yeah, maybe it is kinda stupid. Maybe it is selfish. Maybe it’s going to be a huge mistake.

That’s the point. And I am going to wait how those childish decisions help these childish characters mature a bit more by the end of the season.
Heck, that was the whole plot point of episode 1 in a nutshell, after all :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So far so good.

It made me break my anime abstinence that started when LB! Refrain ended.

Love at first sight <3

Somehow, looks a lot like a mashup of Kanon and AnoHana (as other posters pointed out), but with traces of Denpa Onna and Onegai Teacher

I’m loving it

The third episode was good an I have a renewed hope for the series.

Finally a spotlight for Shione, who I consider to be the most interesting character of the series. She alone recognized Nonoka, probably because she cared for her most, but then felt betrayed by her departure or something.
Well, we certainly got a whole lot of plot in the third episode. So I guess the conflicts and drama can begin in the next episode? Then again, Souta has yet to be properly introduced…

Cute loli saucers!

1 Like

I hope this show doesn’t keep on a constant up and down in terms of quality.

Episode 2 being so dumb and boring actively made me care less about the better content in Ep 3. It better stay good from here.

1 Like

Okay so just finished episode 3 (delayed because I wait for Kaylith’s subs). I just had to rant about Shione.

If there’s one thing I hate with personalities it’s when characters are bitches. Yes you are hurt, yes Nonoka’s sudden departure was unfair and you are bitter about it, but that does not give you the right to make faulty assumptions and physically harm others. Fine, she is an interesting character and has more depth than anyone in the series but she is a goddamn bitch. and I despise her for that

[quote=“Pepe, post:37, topic:598”]
Fine, she is an interesting character and has more depth than anyone in the series but she is a goddamn bitch. and I despise her for that[/quote]

It’s not like Shione’s trying to be a bitch. She’s not actively pursuing Nonoka and trying to ruin her day.
She’s distancing herself (thus avoiding conflict) because Nonoka’s presence is hurting her. But Nonoka is being persistent and ignores her warnings. In Japan, using someone’s first name is a sign of familiarity, doing so without permission is rude. I’m not saying that I approve of violence, but if someone tells you not to bother them and you still do it, you deserve everything that comes next.

I think the problem here is that Shione doesn’t realize that she is the only one in the main cast who actually gives a damn about friendship, enough to remember a 'friend’s face after 7 years. She ‘naturally’ remembers everything, so she’s assuming that everyone remembers it just as well. But they just don’t, thus the misunderstanding.

Nonoka’s ‘betrayal’ changed Shione’s entire personality for like half of her lifetime. Of course she’s disgusted by that ‘like-nothing-ever-happened’ behavior.

Totally agree. Nonoka is being pretty cruel due to her persistence, while Shione is being cruel through her words and of course, the violent action. Neither character will realize the bad things about their behavior until they come to an understanding. Essentially it’s the typical “this conflict only exists because we don’t talk about it” that a lot of drama have, however it kinda makes sense in SnM since Nonoka and Shione haven’t known each other for very long (as far as 1/2 of the duo is concerned) and can be called acquaintances at best.
The story follows Nonoka and has explored her character the most so far, so it makes sense that she would appear to be the better of the two parties. I’m sure if Shione was the protagonist, Nonoka would look a lot worse. Shione would still be a jerk, but Nonoka would be too.

Also, what’s with the hostile reaction to episode 2? It’s a single episode right near the start of the show. The second episode of an anime is rarely if ever the most interesting episode. It wasn’t even bad. The only problem I can think of regarding it is if you have a bad first impression of the character the episode centered around, Yuzuki. Even then, that’s not a problem with the quality of the episode, it’s simply you not liking the first showing of that character’s personality. The first episode was a nice intro, the second episode introduced the main plot point and most of the main cast, and the third episode kicked off the drama. Pretty staple for drama anime.

1 Like

Well I must agree that it is the same case, and I can definitely understand her predicament but I don’t quite like her reaction. In the same way that you and others seem to dislike it when characters’ thinking isn’t quite logical, I dislike it when characters’ actions are disrespectful. Not that I hate how this story is going, I simply dislike the character.

And

Yes that does seem to be the crux of the problem. Which we will definitely get into in the next episode.