Rewrite - Moon Arc Discussion

I’ve bookmarked this scene because it struck me.

I care about myself more than anyone.I help other people. If someone fails on the roadside, I help them get up. But that’s because it makes me feel good. I did something good. I’m a good person. It feels good to help people. I don’t actually care about the other people at all. I’m not honestly worried about them. I’m just satisfying myself. I’m just being pragmatic.

I think a lot of people are like that. In fact, I can’t imagine anyone would help people if they didn’t feel any pleasure from it. But that’s not the problem. All living things satisfy their own desires. Self-fulfillment is the ultimate objective of life. Why is feigned beauty the only way to accomplish that?

…because we want to be accepted by the herd. I want everyone to praise me. To like me. I want to be popular. To be respected.

… I want a place where I belong.

After reading it, I was unsure whether it really is possible to have that kind of thinking: to be selfish yet being able to help others at the same time.

1 Like

I feel like this is another one of those land-mines that will lead to a huge derail, let’s keep that from happening.
It seems perfectly logical to me. No one ever really does anything that doesn’t benefit them. Someone who is perceived as generous is really just able to attain happiness from helping others. People who don’t get that same feeling of satisfaction won’t help others unless there is something else in it for them: these people will be perceived as selfish.

1 Like

Sounds pretty normal to me. Isn’t that the majority?

I have to say that Aspirety made a very good and detailed explanation of the Moon route. I finished the route yesterday and like many others I was as confused as well in the beginning. From reading your post and others, I think I can understand why Moon Kagari had to come up with possible simulations from the blueprints to save the Earth. My understanding is that in order for the aurora to thrive on the Earth and the Moon, the set of conditions that the soil from either of them have to sustain enough life in order to preserve itself. The fact that Moon Kagari was able to set those conditions would have probably take millions of years just to find the solutions to save the Earth. The fact that the previous five heroines’ route were only simulations surprised me a bit but after the fact that the message that Kotarou had sent after the aurora left the Moon proves that there is chance that maybe in the Terra route that the Earth could be saved.

When Kotori and the others came back from Kotarou’s memory, I was on the verge of tears seeing them once again and they were back just like in the days of the Occult Club. Yoshino is probably the best bro and cool guy ever and Sakuya is just as awesome as ever.

I have personally enjoyed this route a lot more because it is tying everything together and I can’t wait to read the final route.

I’m not really sure how far I can go into the whole deal, but the best place to learn about how Aurora works is the entries for Kagari in the memory.

1 Like

Moon was a pretty confusing route but… Aren’t you guys overthinking it a lot? The earth was on the verge of dying so Kagari (Moon) was looking for a solution to save it. With the help of Kotarou, the Oka-ken and their buddies who fought the freightning Sakura and her baddies, she found a solution --> Terra. The whole Aurora matter was pretty confusing so it’s better to ignore it… simply.

But then, here’s another thingy… Kagari was having a hard time looking for a solution because all of her simulations didn’t lead to HAPPY END for the Earth… All? WRONG!! If the common route is all part of her simulations then how can they possibly forget about Oppai Ending?! I know that it’s just some kind of comical route but STILL it lead to an ending waaaay better than Terra’s. Or… could it be that even that what’s after that ending leads to… the Earth dying? I still didn’t read Shizuru’s HF route that apparently happens in the Oppai world to know if it does but I’m having a hard time believing so since all evil in that world disappeared s no bad memories could be created and so the Earth should continue living, right?

I feel bad for laughing, but I think its pretty funny that Aspi said “NO SCREW SIMULATIONS” and then Baba came along and said, “NO, SCREW YOU, ITS ALL SIMULATIONS” XP

Anyway, I guess the biggest question for me now is… why was Kotarou on the Moon?

I sat here for a long while contemplating everything, and suddenly had an “ah-ha!” moment. And then it turned into this whole theory… well, enjoy:

“The Earth was once filled with life originating from a meteor. As time passed, humanity was born naturally. Then they were destroyed before colonizing space, and had to re-evolve. By that point in time, the Earth was on the verge of drying up, so some of the aurora flowed to the Moon, where fresh material was still available. This is how the garden was formed.
That was fine for a while, but then the Moon dried up as well. By then the Earth had recovered somewhat, to the point where one more attempt at evolution seemed like it might just be possible. this the aurora flowed back to Earth.”

• Memories: 007: Kagari (Earth)

There was something huge that had always bugged me about a certain character: Sakuya. He says it himself, that he was the previous Kotarou, the one who could Rewrite himself. But then there’s something about that happening thousands of years ago… and yet the humans in Sakuya’s memory are acting the same as if they were modern-day humans. That just does not make any sense… Unless you consider the above quote.

The answer: Sakuya was one of the “first-humans”, lets call them. As he told in his memories, and as the Memories section tells us, the first-humans were faced with Destruction, and failed. Sakuya being the being that he his, Rewrote himself into a tree, and passed on into the next cycle of humans, lets call them the “new-humans.” (Shizuru’s route is essentially a repeat of this, except humanity survives in "a place safe from the Destruction. A new humanity would not have been able to re-evolve anyways, because after all, that was a failed simulation.)

But then the aurora realizes something: there’s not enough of this “fresh material” that the aurora uses to sustain life for this next cycle to fully evolve. So the aurora hops over to the Moon where it can survive while it waits for the “fresh materials” to recover on Earth. But it seems that the Moon (i.e Kagari) knew that the “fresh materials” on the Moon would only last long enough for the Earth to recover enough for one more attempt at evolution. So, using the property of the overlapping worlds due to the much smaller service area of the Moon, it started running simulations (yes, on the Moon) to determine the optimal equation for evolution to occur fully on Earth, since there was only one more try.

So how does this answer why Kotarou is on the Moon? I’m getting there. Now, I dont have lines to justify my next assertion, but I think it makes sense logically: Just like the Kagaris are incarnations of the Moon and the Earth, I believe that Sakuya and Kotarou are somewhat of incarnations of the aurora. Assuming this is true, remember that when Sakuya/the aurora fails and humanity is destroyed the first time, some of the aurora flows to the Moon. And bingo! Not only does this explain how Kotarou got on the Moon, it explains why Sakuya and Kotarou can both be incarnations of the aurora and exist at the same time (because Sakuya stayed on the Earth in the form of the tree).

This also explains why Kotarou remembers all of the simulations. He is the aurora, and it is the property of the aurora to create overlapping worlds when the celestial body doesnt have enough surface area. All those overlapping worlds happened for him, but they did not happen for the Earth.

So then to answer the “when does this all occur in the scheme of Rewrite” question, what happens after the solution is found is as follows: Kotarou/The aurora flow back to the Earth. And the Earth restarts from scratch, following the formula, this time happening in the way Terra plays out. So the simulations do not occur at the moment of the choice not to attack Kagari, but before the Earth restarts one more time.

By the way, I really like the idea of calling Moon route the Kagari route in this way. Because it really is such a romantic story. The aurora (Kotarou) is in love with the Earth (Earth Kagari). But the aurora fails. Instead of letting the aurora be forced to leave, however, the Moon (Moon Kagari), the Earth’s sister, not only sacrifices herself so the aurora can stay, but works endlessly so that the aurora and the Earth can be together. While the aurora is waiting, though, he falls in love with the Moon as well. This makes it all the more tragic when the Moon has used up all its energy, and while the aurora now gets to go be with the Earth, he must leave the Moon behind forever.

10 Likes

Pretty sure this only unlocks after completing Terra.The entry starts with: “This entry contains unadulterated super-spoilers”, after all.

• What is Aurora?
    A miraculous energy created in the Big Bang. Without it, life is essentially impossible. It has properties of matter and acts similar to bacteria. However, it’s not a sentient being. Aurora thrives in physical matter, but long periods of exposure leads to that matter losing it’s ability to house Aurora. The continued spread and prosperity of Aurora is what Kagari refers to as “good memories.”
    Sources: 1 2

• What is the garden?
    The garden is a confined space on the Moon created by an innate property of Aurora. It takes the form of numerous overlapping worlds(or possibly universes) in the shape of Earth. The different heroines’ routes along with the untold stories about the Bayern Knights, for example, are memories from some of these worlds. Moon Kagari used the garden as a sandbox to find any sequence that would lead to good memories.
    Source: http://i.imgur.com/Dbge83a.png

• Why are people on the Moon?
    The reasons vary slightly from person to person. The “normal” way of transcending the garden is to have a connection with Kagari. Kotarou is the only one with a connection strong enough to actually materialize, but we see weak projections of the heroines around as well in the chapter Fragments of Causality. The heroines and Yoshino’s gang are summoned through Kotarou’s strong connections with them; due to their lacking bond, they can just vaguely sense Kagari’s presence. Kashima is the only human to transcend the garden on her own. It’s not stated how, but we know it came at a great cost. Sakuya’s being there is elaborated on in HF. He travels though the Aurora with the help of Gil and Pani. All the characters who reach the Moon are amalgamations of all the branches of the garden.

So I don’t see rewriters as incarnations of Aurora, at least not more than any other form of life. However, they have a unique ability to use Aurora and genetic information to do basically anything. Other super humans only use a small portion of their gene-pool.

People get really hung up on this whole simulations thing, and I’m not sure why. The garden is a lower existence to an extent, but that doesn’t make it less real.

1 Like

Lovely theory! Pretty much explains how I understood the entire Rewrite story. As for whether Sakuya and Kotarou are incarnations of aurora, I still have some doubt about it but it is a likely one. I think the sentence below says something about it too.

My thoughts on Sakuya and Kotarou (the Rewriters) is that they are superhuman who has the ability to manipulate the very essence that made them, i.e. lifeforce/aurora.

And something about Sakura, anyone knows how she found out what Kagari is doing? My understanding is that she is like the pinnacle of human intelligence or the human species to fully understand aurora and she realized in one of the world that she is in a simulation and somehow manage to break through the simulation (reminds me of the real-life question of “Are we living in a simulation?”). She probably found out Moon through Kotarou as stated below:

Yep, Oppai Ending was good, but it probably is a failed one too because the main point (Terra/Oppai Spoilers) [spoiler] is not about letting Earth survives because it will eventually dies when Sun uses up all its fuel, and all life will be wiped out. It is about letting intelligence life continues on, so intelligence life in Earth need to go out into space and find a way to live there or colonize other planets. Oppai route did mention about humanity building some sort of oppai spaceship to explore the universe, but it probably failed too, because, this is just my speculations, the technology to harness lifeforce/aurora is not understood enough or known to the public. In Terra, Kotarou Faction leaked out everything about Gaia and Guardian, which includes the technology to harness their own lifeforce/aurora. I think this is the key part in colonizing space?

Hey, maybe because Kagari just hate it so she kills off that branch XD [/spoiler]

2 Likes

Guys… I really think you should not consider Oppai route as something that affects the lore of Rewrite. Kagari herself wishes to deny the existence of that possibility, and I think we should all respect her wishes

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ridiculous Theories

It looks like I’m not really going to be unable to fully understand this route until I read Terra. But you know what everyone loves? Fanservice!

The fight scene near the end was cool, but some of the character’s deaths were kinda pathetic. Lucia, Yoshino, and Sakuya had pretty cool blaze of glory deaths but everyone else’s were pitiful. Kotori died when she was being a diversion which is honestly about as much as you could expect from her, and Akane’s I’m assuming was pretty similar although we never got to see it. I’m really glad I wasn’t a bigger fan of Shizuru or her death would have been even more pathetic than it already was. And Chihaya’s was just a joke.

Also, am I the only one who felt like Kotarou was kind of weak in this route? if he inherited power from all of the other timelines he should be a super-badass like he was at the end of Chihaya’s route but he doesn’t seem all that powerful.

If he inherited their powers then he also inherited their weaknesses. It might sound a little weird but to me it makes sense. The Kotarou of Akane’s route and Chihaya’s was pretty strong while in Lucia’s, Shizuru’s and Kotori’s, Kotarou was pretty damn weak. It’s like he’d be pretty confused in his strengh.

2 Likes

Wait a second… A new theory just came to mind for why Kotarou was on the Moon in the first place and that whole conversation with Kashima Sakura.

What if the reason he came to the moon and kept respawning on the moon was to get close to Kagari to kill her? Something like his instincts from his life on Earth screaming out his need to destroy The Key and save Earth…

1 Like

That sounds like the intro to a movie trailer…

He was the ultimate weapon…

Born to destroy…

His only weakness was his emotions

1 Like

Serious though. They make out the whole point of how in all the branch worlds, Kotarou was Kagari’s enemy (not entirely true but I guess for most of the branch worlds yeah). He was born into the Moon out of that desire, or perhaps fate is the right word here.

When Kashima Sakura appeared to stand in as Kagari’s enemy at first Kotarou was hesitant to stop her, but after destroying his hesitation Kotarou found a new purpose in protecting Kagari. From that point on, he couldn’t reconverge on Moon after dying, because the one thing that brought him there in the first place was no longer true.

I thought the same thing after seeing the second Moon/Terra anime episode. The VN only said something along the lines of that he had understood what exactly he is and therefore could not reconverge after dying anymore after declaring war on Kashima Sakura, but it was never explained properly.

I guess it kinda hammers in this idea of, in order to save the Earth, you have to defy your natural instincts and seek out a new path.

It also means that the Aurora had given its “children” a proper, specialized way of protecting themselves against one-sided annihilation. They hava a chance enforcing their right to live, even if it is against “greater good”. It must be a part of Aurora’s love.

What are you trying to answer: ‘Why is Kotarou on the Moon’ or ‘Why will he not regenerate after having a goal’?