Rewrite - Lucia Konohana Route & Character Discussion

ahem

When I read Rewrite, I fully expected Shizuru to be my final favorite, even when I already knew about Kagari. Shizuru was a nice cute girl and that fit perfectly with my tastes. But then I read Lucia’s route, and all my expectations were thrown to the ground and smashed into pieces.

Lucia’s is, by far, the best route in Rewrite. Although I don’t really like comparing them, since different writers and all, it’s safe to say it’s by far my favorite. The mystery, the tension, the suspense. The romance, the inner conflicts. I am not much of a crying guy, but when I read the chapel scene, I could only try to hold back my tears, and I failed at doing that. It was beautiful, and I completely fell in love with her. The sunflower field, too. All those painful moments, and the happy moments too, everything was great.

The route itself has many flaws, and that I admit easily. The entire class reunion plot felt a bit dragged, and while it did serve its purpose, I feel like it could have been shortened a bit. But even with the flaws I see, I can’t help but rate it a 10/10 route. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me fall in love.

As for the character herself? Well, I’m one of the weirdos who unironically have a waifu, and Lucia is the one for me. I never felt so much emotion before I read her route, to the point where I legitimately fell in love. I’ve always been a fan of the “classical tsundere” character type, and while her physical characteristics aren’t exactly what I usually enjoy, I still fell in love because of who she is. Not Asahi Haruka, not Konohana Lucia, just her. She really makes my days brighter.

6 Likes

Alright, this seems to be a contentious route with many fans of Rewrite, (not so much here but I have seen a LOT of uh… aggressivediscussion on the topic) and I have to say it has felt… the most different of the routes so far. The difference in tone and pacing between this and Shizuru and Kotori’s routes was palpable, and I honestly really appreciated that.

My favourite parts? Once again, I gotta go with the romance. Rewrite somehow has managed to hit me with not one, but TWO routes that made me fall completely in love with the heroine. And romance is like, the lowest thing on my list of things to get excited about. That scene with the city stretched beneath them as all of Lucia’s dreams came true was just… the most perfect thing. It was so instinctive, and passionate and just UGH i wanted to make those two stay together in that moment forever <3

I also really enjoyed the fight scenes! Ryukishi creates a feeling of momentum that seems out of this world, and even throws in (to quote my notes here) “revolvers that fire as fast as submachineguns but also are shotguns, held gangsta style for maximum effect.” That entire scene leaping across the four or so floors of the shopping mall was just… i loved it so much. And then Kotarou EATS A SWORD WITH HIS BLOOD. Brilliant. I think this is definitely a case of ‘so ludicrous it’s amazing’, ladies and gentleman.

I’m still trying to figure out where I lie on the scale of “Lucia did it it’s all her selfish fault!” to “Brainwashing and trauma absolve her of all responsibility!” But I do want to say i was super excited to watch that plotline unfold, the sheer scale of the toxin outbreak was insane and the CG with Lucia standing in front of the field of sunflowers, watching them slowly wilt until the background was just a barren wasteland, was heartbreaking in an epic sort of way. If there’s one thing I really appreciate about Ryukishi’s writing here it’s how far he’s willing to push his characters, whether you agree with Lucia’s actions or not she was undeniably ‘human’.

One teeny tiny nitpick, Kotarou is an idiot. I don’t think much more needs to be said but poor communication is definitely a theme that has cropped up in Ryukishi’s works before, but there are usually explanations. In this route there is very little reason other than “how can we extend Lucia’s search for purpose past the chapel scene?” Honestly I wonder if they couldn’t have just had Kotarou adapt to her poison when she explodes like a nuke rather than earlier, so he’s not holding onto it for quite as long. i dunno, worth a thought. At the end of the day I think it’s pretty clear that Ryukishi is having a lot of fun with this route, as opposed to posing his usual philosophical questions in express detail. Which is fine mind you, those are the moments when the route shines.

Also we get Lucia maido, perhaps the greatest costume change to ever come from the grand and perverse mind of Ryukishi-sama himself! <3

I take back all criticism. Best route. 10/10 :yahaha:

6 Likes

Let’s talk about Konohana Lucia and the idea of morality and responsibility. I consider Lucia route Lucia to be not only the weakest link in Rewrite but additionally the worst part of a Key game. I should explain and preface that Konohana Lucia in all parts of the story outside of her own route is one of my favorite characters. Specifically in Shizuru and Chihaya the character represents the story’s themes beautifully. The “graduation” in Shizuru is one of my favorite parts of said routes and her small roll in Chihaya’s route goes far to solidify the ideas of friendship and belonging that Rewrite excels at preaching at its best. Even in the Rewrite anime, Lucia is fantastic, going so far as to sacrifice herself and her roll in Guardian for the occult club in a death match against Tenma, Tenji, and Midou.

All of this goes to say that Lucia is a good character in concept. Rewrite suffers from a lack of thematic focus, but in terms of friendship which is its core tenant Lucia excels as a person. This all falls apart when placed in the context of her own route, however.

Luica is a weakling. her character in Route Lucia demonstrates an unwillingness to change and a fear to trust others. Ryukishi makes some confounding choices in how he delivers the story’s message and expounds upon the conflict. The route starts with a seemingly well paced romance between Lucia and Kotarou, invoking similar themes of being outcasted and the desire for closeness as seen in characters like Misuzu. This romance, unfortunately, is ultimately undermined later in the route. The problem with Lucia manifests in how her development, when put to the test, is ineffective. Lucia does not grow as a result of coming to know Kotarou, but rather shows regression in the face of conflict. When Brenda returns, Lucia’s old weaknesses return, she does not face her problems with the newfound strength of the present, but rather the weakness of her past.

Lucia is weak. She is a character who has suffered tremendously in her short time on this earth, but she does not rise above this weakness; she gives into it. What results is that Lucia does not show how being with the occult club and Kotarou in particular helped her grow, but show that she is still weak and feeble, inevitably killing hundreds of thousands of people.

This alone is not enough to condemn the character. Sin and fault are a good part of character writing. Some of my favorite characters are those wracked with sin, see Beatrice or Sayuri. These are characters who suffer from great weakness, but that weakness is in service of their arc. These two grow past their flaws and it is in that that the characters are able to show their strength. Lucia does not have any of this. She is a weak character, but one who does not grow out of her weakness or face responsibility for the weight of her sins.

After committing the massacre Lucia is not held at fault. She is considered by those around her a victim of a difficult scenario and a tragedy–no one looking at her flaws or attributing responsibility. Kotarou and crew are quick to look at the world around Lucia and forget that, regardless of circumstances, it is her who pulled the trigger. Never once does anyone try and see just where the cross of responsibility falls.

And this is where the route falls apart for me. Lucia is responsible for her actions. Lucia is responsible for her weakness. The cross of responsibility is one that we all must carry. But this does not happen. Lucia is tragic, yes, she is a character that I can empathize with. But that is where the line is drawn. I do not sympathize with this killer who will not live up to her weakness. Lucia is a character who cries and pleads for a lighter load instead of asking for broader shoulders to bear the pain. Life is not fair. We live in a world in which some people suffer with social pressures or anxieties that make their function more difficult. But even so it is the responsibility of the weak to rise above their weakness. It is the duty of the broken to work harder and overcome. Is it easy? Is it fair? No it is not, but that’s life.

Lucia is the victim of abuse, a character who has major traumas and a desire for meaning and closeness that she never got to have. But when that which she yearned for is dangled in front of her Lucia does not grow. She simply falls back on her weakness and does something she can never take back. There is no reasonable guilt, no reasonable responsibility, and no reasonable punishment, Lucia, the girl who longed for friendship more than anything, destroys the home she found and tries to kill the people who carved that home out for her.

This is not the Lucia I am friends with. This is not the girl who called Kotarou her friend in Shizuru’s route, the girl who longed for the simple days of the occult club in Chihaya’s route, the girl who would give her very life so that her friends might live on for another day.

“What did you expect Bread?”

I hear you ask. Did I want Lucia to die for taking the lives of thousands? Well, sure. But more than anything I wanted responsibility. I wanted Lucia to suffer the due for her actions. Everyone’s actions are their own. I am responsible for the person I have become, just as you are and just as Lucia has. Even if we suffer from an unfair world around us, what we choose to do with our lives is always and only our own fault.

I love Rewrite. It’s unfocused and sometimes is directed a little stilted. I would never say that it’s my favorite of the key works, but routes like Chihaya are some of the best even so. But on this route Ryukishi dropped the ball. The messages are told contrary to themselves and the lack of responsibility kills me.

I love Lucia. I love the girl who loves her friends and longs for a place in this world. This spoiled child is not Lucia. This girl is not my friend.

Stay golden,
-Bread.

3 Likes

I have returned to this land hardened and weary to spit analytical fire upon anyone who would do Konohana Lucia any measure of responsibility-based injustice. You are absolutely right that she is weak. But we must look at why she is this way. Yes, she doesn’t rise above that weakness. She makes progress on rising above it, as she becomes friends with the Occult Club and falls in love with Kotarou. But that progress is constantly pulled out from underneath her.

She is constantly traumatized by literally killing everything she touches, and when she finally has people and a significant other to accept her, the past she was making progress rising above comes back to haunt her. Her insecurities, which she had manage to keep for the most part buried away, were brought back to the surface with the cruel words of the scientists, and then the one person who could ruin it all showed up again, Brenda.

Brenda had spent all of Lucia’s childhood being the only influence in her life. So Lucia, now in this vulnerable state, is of course going to be keen to listen to her. And sure, part of her feels it’s wrong. And you can say she’s not rising above her weakness here. And you’re right. But it’s precisely because she’s in such a broken, desperate and easily vulnerable state of mind. Most reasonable, rational people would have difficulty staying true to themselves in a situation like this.

Brenda also explicitly states, and I know you hate this, that she is given a serum that’ll impair Lucia’s judgment and “make her believe whatever we want her to believe.” So when she goes and kills all those people, she believes it’s what she’s meant to do. And you can’t put that on her. She was literally forced to believe that. If she hadn’t been forced to believe it was supposed to happen, she wouldn’t have done it.

And when she betrays Kotarou and Chihaya and Shizuru and all them, while it’s not provable, she is almost certainly still under the effect of the impaired judgment. A serum that magnifies her poison radius to take out an entire city is definitely going to impair her judgment more than a tiny bit. Not to mention Ryukishi’s style of writing makes a plot like this ridiculously hindered. He loves the typical VN tropes such as letting a problem continue to escalate instead of just having Chihaya tell Kotarou what Lucia needs to hear instead of just hinting at it in the middle of a genocidal life or death battle but nah whatever.

And I know you, Bread Boy, have the personal belief that someone is wholly responsible for their actions no matter what. You believe that despite the fact that Lucia was deceived, manipulated and essentially forced to commit these atrocities, that she is still responsible for the majority if not all of what happened simply because she is the one who “pulled the trigger” so to speak is absolutely ridiculous. She’s not blameless by any means, as indeed, her weakness is what allowed her to be so easily manipulated. But she was only in that state of weakness because of circumstances out of her control. You can’t blame her for that. That’s not okay. That’s almost entirely just incorrect, it’s as close to incorrect as you can get about a belief.

But where I’ll absolutely meet you is that even though I don’t believe she’s wholly responsible for what happened, she deserves a lot more than isolation with the love of her life, occasional visits from friends and literally everything she could possibly need for a happy comfortable life as “punishment”. She at LEAST deserves a slap on the wrist and a bop on the nose.

Konohana Lucia absolutely did some horrible things. But it’s not entirely her fault. It’s not even mostly her fault.

May this injustice never continue so long as I draw breath.

5 Likes

After rereading through Lucia’s route, I realize it’s my least favorite Ryukishi work, period. Regardless of the morality surrounding Lucia, the fact that this morality is murky and nebulous in the first place proves that the writing has been backed into a corner. There are many mistakes that Ryukishi himself has done correctly in the past, it boggles my mind.

First, I’ll tackle the mystery. Two major problems I have here - first, the use of unreliable narrator. This is something that Ryukishi has done very well in his past stories, particularly in WTC. There, the narrator following this device was actually unsure of what’s going on. Here, the narration outright lies to the reader, having a POV shift to Lucia as she wonders how Don’t wake me appeared on the paper, when she clearly wrote it there. This is an erroneous mystery, as Kotarou presents this at the church scene and she does not deny it. Secondly, her poison power is mentioned here and there in other routes, but her vibration-type power is not, at all. There is a severe lack of foreshadowing in this route, and it’s crazy as once again, Ryukishi does this just wonderfully in Higurashi and Umineko. Finally, even with those errors, the mystery is still very easy to solve. Using Knox will lead the reader to the correct answer very fast.

The church scene itself is the saving grace of this story, and I wish the route ended there, for I am not a fan of what comes afterward. It does a lot more for Kotarou’s character than Lucia, as I will get into. Him becoming a quote machine with lines like “I’ve accepted your world, Konohana Lucia,” are very good.

My biggest problem with this route is Lucia herself, and the way she is written. One of my biggest pet peeves in stories are when characters are expected to be sympathized with by having bad things happen to them, usually in their backstory. Lucia is an example of that. She doesn’t do anything to gain my sympathy, I’m just expected to because of what happened to her. It’s never what happened to a character that matters to me, it’s what they do despite all of that that shows their strength and gives me more to like about them. Kotori does this, and that’s why I love her. At the end of the story, I can’t care about her, because she’s given me no real reason to.

5 Likes

So it’s never easy to know what happened during production because they do not want us to, but the perfect visual book interview has a couple loose statements about Lucia’s route.

• Tanaka talks about a time when the heroines were just a design and a short character summary, and they just picked whichever they wanted to work on. Ryuukishi interjects that he was brought on after that. When the setting details had been written out more, they wanted another Guardian heroine. By his wording(かなり後) it seems like a decent amount of time had passed, but there’s no way to specify.
  • When Ryuukishi started writing, they only had parts of the Kotori and Chihaya routes written. For an unspecified scheduling reason, he had to finish quickly. Because Shizuru wasn’t written, he expanded on Guardian’s setting himself.
  • It seems he was also concerned with balancing Key’s history and his own writing style, but the idea was that any problems could be changed later in production.
  • Lucia’s route was the first route finished and was apparently not edited very much.

It’s impossible to say whose decisions were involved in this, but given the end result I don’t think it’s unfair to say Lucia’s route probably needed a second draft after more routes had been written.

5 Likes

I find it very interesting the more that i dig into the production of Rewrite, I still have Chihaya and Akane’s routes to go (and then Moon and Terra) but I’m certainly under the impression that the… writers were not all on the same page, in fact there were a few posted notes sent with bullet points for the setting, and then the writers were all locked in secure isolation until Rewrite was released (obviously with voice acted lines being recorded by way of the air vent adjacent to each of them). I really would love to see this story remade with a more cohesive vision, maybe a Rewrite 2.0? I dunno, could be fun :stuck_out_tongue:

So my… kinda problem with this argument is that neither side is satisfactory, either we’re arguing for a character with the worst moral compass imaginable, OR we’re arguing that the character had zero agency, thereby depriving them of their role in the story. If we argue that Lucia is not responsible for her actions, then she literally is just the ‘nuclear bomb’ we’re told she is by the scientists who attend to her during the story, and honestly I find that to be an even worse option. I get it, she’s got a sad backstory, and got all drugged up with ‘Drug X’ but that basically cuts her out of the equation and doesn’t grant her any respect as a character. I actually think that believing she has an amoral compass is more compelling than excusing her as being manipulated by others.

The problem is that this would lead to a bad end for Lucia, and we can’t have that in Rewrite. Oh no no no. We have to get our amoral heroine to the end to have our ‘bittersweet’ ending, when honestly I would have been more satisfied with her going full villain, showing her downfall. Maybe if Ryukishi had gone back to redo the latter quarter or so of the novel he might have changed it to be a more tragic end for Lucia, but as it stands I’m a little disappointed after some reflection (although sword-eating blood is still rad). It’s a writing problem, and I hope to see Lucia being a little less awful going forward :yahaha:

3 Likes

I disagree. Within Lucia’s route, the girl’s character changes from one who simply followed the path of mediocrity in an uninspired way, to becoming someone who is conflicted about purpose and meaning. Ultimately this, due to a multitude of factors, ends in what could be considered a bad way… But no doubt she evolved as a person.

Sure she’d never had to make a decision before so she messed up. Sure she was drugged, and indoctrinated, and surrounded by idiots… Sure she killed a bunch of people, but who cares? That was never the focus of the route to me. It was hardly even something to focus on.
To me the thing that makes Lucia route good is the questioning of self and the certainty (and sometimes uncertainty) about what Lucia wants. It’s not about what Lucia wants as a Guardian member. It’s not about what Lucia wants as Shizuru’s friend. It’s about what Lucia wants for herself… And we don’t really get that anywhere else in Rewrite.
It may not be an evolution in the eyes of some, but to me, watching Lucia become this person who can admit that she herself exists and that she has desires (despite her upbringing and everything she knows) is very heartwarming and entertaining. Comparatively she’s so empty and uninteresting in every other route… A trashy “Hi I’m an incredibly shouty girl and I sometimes protect this one character for reasons very lightly described.” That version of Lucia sucks.

Honestly the worst thing about Lucia route is the people surrounding Lucia. They’re all incredibly stupid, and it reflects very badly on the core progression.

5 Likes

You see my guy, we get the question of what Lucia wants as a person in the Shizuru and Chihaya routes as well, but in the context of those two we get that conflict through the eyes of a stronger Lucia. Lucia is a character that has always been defined by her desire for normalcy and human closeness and we can see in the Tonokawa routes that Lucia had a strong desire to maintain the occult club, even hinting that she would some day return to the new occult club formed at the end of Chihaya’s route. In these instances Lucia has a goal and takes actions to address it. This drive is no where to be seen in her own route though and that’s where it all breaks down for me.

Instead of fighting for her friendships as she does in other routes she abandons them and then kills thousands of innocent people. I fully understand that Lucia is the victim of abuse and circumstance, but it was ultimately Lucia’s decision to take Brenda’s hand, to cling to her bad habits, and it is Lucia who is responsible for Lucia’s actions.

3 Likes

I’m basing this off of memory, so I’m sorry if I recall something wrong here. I believe Lucia’s actions in the latter portion of the route were driven by her desperate need to be needed by someone. She was fine for a while after Kotarou declared that he accepts her regardless of her powers, but it all collapses once Shizuru, the only other person who can tolerate her poison, physically fell apart on her. It’s likely that she started thinking that, even if there are people who can accept her despite it, what’s the point if she ends up causing harm on them?

Exactly because she felt like a burden, and that she may have felt that this will end up happening on Kotarou eventually, she started wanting beyond being accepted. To be exact, she started wanting to be needed, that she had to mean something to someone, otherwise she had no reason to exist. It just so happened that her abuser took advantage of her moment of vulnerability and asked her to practically be a suicide bomber. She knew it was morally wrong, but she went with it, anyway, because it happened that someone actually needed her for something.

Honestly, this isn’t really something I can describe as an act of weakness or strength: it felt more like an act of desperation, and anyone regardless of their innate strength will be desperate once they are backed to the corner like this.

(As a side note, in the confrontation scene, while Lucia is really just emotionally distancing herself from Kotarou for aforementioned reasons, there’s also a part of her that hoped for him to say that he needed her. Unfortunately, Kotarou wasn’t able to catch this soon enough because he was too stuck thinking that she only needed him.

My personal reading at the moment (and I’m not sure if it will hold well once I get to reread it) is that he was held back by his thought that she was a damsel that needed to be saved. While that’s kind-of-true in a way, Lucia at that moment wasn’t really looking for a Knight in Shining Armor. She wanted to be someone who can support him, too; she was simply worried that neither of them feel that that’s the case.

While the writing ended up handwaving implications that are too big to get that treatment anyway – like she seriously caused a genocide but the writing just, welp, that happened, she definitely has her faults for it, but it’s not worth expanding upon so w/e – I really don’t want it to be omitted. The first half is nice, but it’s the sort of stuff that a lot of male-oriented romance dramas have done over and over already. I mean, the sort of stuff where the heroine has issues and a hero comes to help her deal with it. It’s quite rare for me to see these sort of stories seriously explore what the heroine would exactly feel about their relationship in this kind of situation, and I honestly laud Lucia Route, despite its flaws, for that.)

3 Likes

In regards to the topic of responsibility in this route, this is my position: As previously stated, I don’t hate Lucia for what she’s done. In fact I believe that, given her circumstances, what she did was kind of inevitable because the entire ordeal was way beyond what she possibly could have handled psychologically.

But upon pondering on the topic of responsibility here I realized that there is something I very much take issue with: The author himself made sure that Lucia could not be blamed for what she’s done. You can’t draw strength from thin air. Strength must be based on something. She can’t derive strength from self-confidence because she kills everything (including the things she loves) and is therefore the greatest enemy to all life. She could derive strength from her friends and lover but right at that moment, they get taken away for her by that same cursed power of hers, as if to say she was foolish to believe they could ever help her. And then there’s stuff like the serum - where the author pushes her to do horrible things but at the same time suggesting it can’t be her fault.

So it’s not that Lucia has failed to become stronger. The very reason she has done horrible things in the first place is that she had nothing to derive strength from. My point is: the author did not give her a chance.

What Lucia needed was a reason to live - that would also be something she could derive strength from. It’s vital because her power is a huge reason to not live. She doesn’t have the same option as normal people to just live for themselves. So, her needing a reason is what the mad scientists have taken advantage of: They have presented her with a higher cause. A higher cause that’s related to her existence and her problem and is way more significant in the big picture than her little (lost) friendships. And everyone keeps pushing her into going through with that murderous plan, while at the same time, she got isolated from everyone who’d tell her to stop. Bio-bombing an entire city is horrible but if the pope himself gives you the ok, it’s totally fine, right?

The conflict could have been resolved faster, but then the route would be too short, so the author instead made the characters act stupid, which is also something I find fault with.

Lucia wasn’t given a choice until at the very end of the conflict. Before that, she didn’t even have the option of killing herself, because that would mean everyone she had poisoned in her childhood and the children from the same project had died for nothing.

3 Likes

I’ve taken the time to read through the previous posts of this route and I’ve been forced to remember just how controversial this route, both from a character aspect and a morality aspect. After all, no sane person would be able to brush off having killed thousands of people and polluting the land which they loved. It now forces me to ask the question: by the end of her route, is Lucia truly sane?

The more I think about what happened, the more I feel that Lucia had, at one point, past the brink of insanity. You can blame it on the drugs, or you can blame it on her own internal strife. After all, she is a victim, there is no doubt about that. Seeing herself hurt her closest friend, and losing all notion of purpose in life may have just been enough to drive her to that point. And, seeing her reaction to Kotarou right before she commits her crime makes me believe that she could not have possibly been in her right mind. Even during the epilogue she seemed so… fragile. So incomplete.

Maybe Lucia’s story is one of those who have slowly lost their grasp of the real world. Maybe the lesson that Ryukishi was trying to tell us was that these people do not need someone to help them; they need to feel that they can still be needed by others. If we relate Lucia’s poison to that of mental illness in general, it checks out; Her always feeling out of place due to her abilities, it being induced by a suffered past, and the possibility of hurting anybody she gets close to. And maybe, if we try to treat those who suffer from these illnesses as less of a handicap, and more as real people who, despite their differences and dangers, could still be beneficial to the world, maybe that could help them.

That being said, is it really right to fault her for that? When many legal systems around the world are able to forgive heavy crimes due to a plea of insanity, would it be right to forgive Lucia for her transgressions on the same grounds?

7 Likes

Before playing this route I was unaware that it was the same writer as Umineko, with which I struggled - but that might explain why I couldn’t get much into sections of this route. I did enjoy the opening act even though it turned out to be a fairly conventional protag fixes heroine scenario, but I did appreciate how this paved the way to giving the background for Lucia’s tsundere personality rather than the usual “that’s just the way she is” that we so often get.

Given that all my romance receptors are permanently set to minimum since birth, it’s a surprise tome how much I enjoyed the “date scene” and the glorious visual at the end of it. How many times in VNs do we see boy and girl go shopping on a date and yet this one felt very fresh.

As for the story of Lucia’s curse, I definitely felt of lot of empathy for the character who was essentially just a guinea pig and as it progressed I couldn’t see how this could possibly have a happy(ish) ending which wasn’t a let down. I was pleased that there was no miracle / deus ex / reset, and it had as good a conclusion as we could expect without trivialising all that had preceded it.

TBH I can’t find much to say here that’s not truly bland, but reading all the previous comments has been very enlightening anyway. I don’t think my brain’s working too well today, sorry for making you read this!

I think I prefer Kotori’s route over this one and would put it about the same as Chihaya, but Lucia easily has the best character theme (and looks incredibly cute as Doki Doki :notes: Maid Party cosplayer!

5 Likes

In case I haven’t made it obvious enough, I absolutely love Lucia. As such, I felt it neccessary to post something on this topic. I wish that I would have had another chance to read through her route another time before Kazamatsuri closes, but with school and work, I’m not sure that I would have been able to it. However, I remember a pretty good chunk of it, so I feel confident in my thoughts, feelings and everything else I’m going to say. In case I get some information wrong, feel free to correct me.

To start, I’d like to say that I like that her route doesn’t begin with the aftermath of Inoue’s disappearance and the revelation that Lucia and Shizuru are Guardians and that Chihaya and Akane are Gaians. Honestly, when you have to go through the same long scene four times, this is pretty refreshing. You could argue that I could just use the skip button after the first time, but that just takes the fun out of visual novels for me. That part is also very long, so that doesn’t help. (Side note: the build up to the baseball game in Little Busters doesn’t bother me as much because I feel it’s much shorter, there are more options that came make the journey to the game different from other playthroughs that don’t affect the route you’re trying to get to, i.e. the haunted school scene, and it ends with an actual game, rather than more redundant reading). Plus, I really like the story of how Kotarou and the rest of the club (minus Akane) try to get Lucia and Chihaya to make up. I especially found it funny when, after the parfait shop workers spiced up the parfait, Kotarou got Chihaya to power on and continue eating and suffering while Lucia continued eating with a big, adorable smile.

Next, I’d like to talk about the Haruka Asahi part. When I was reading this part for the first time, I actually fell for it (I haven’t read any of Ryukishi07’s other works, which apperantly really on unreliable narrators alot, but I plan on changing that soon). After it’s revealed that she and Lucia are the same person, it does kind of feel out of left field. The scene where Lucia is talking to Haruka in her room does feel too much like part of a different story than what we got. You could argue that, given all the trauma and experimentation Lucia has gone through, it’s some form of schizophrenia, but I wish we could have gotten a few more hints about what was actually going on. Besides that, the photocopier part still confuses me. I still don’t understand the part about how more text appeared after Lucia grabbed the extra paper.

I love Maid Lucia and the date scene. Yup.

My biggest gripe with this route is Kotarou’s stupidity. Throughout the whole scene were Lucia was saying she has no purpose because she’s just living poison, and he just kept going on about how they can get medicine to help her, even though that really didn’t help the first time, and just didn’t tell her how much he loves hers, I was just shaking my head in frustration. Even though I just said that I love the date scene, when Kotarou said “I’m only going to say this once: I love you,” I was like, “Wait, that doesn’t seem right.” Everyone has already expressed this opinion, but I still felt the need to say it myself.

Finally, I’d like to talk about my thoughts on why Lucia is a somewhat controversial Key heroine. After she ended up killing thousands of people during her rampage, she was left unpunished. Many people who have posted here say that she should be punished. What do I have do say? I don’t want her to be punished, but I understand why some people do. What I DON’T understand is why when punishment is brought up, Brenda McFarden isn’t mentioned. I mean, I think that people who say that Lucia should be punished also believe Brenda should, as she was the one who sent Lucia on her murder spree. From what I remember, it’s revealed near the end of the route that someone was paying her for Kazamatsuri to be poisoned. This alone makes her more deserving of punishment, compared to Lucia who was suffering from the psychological trauma of everyone and everything dying around her by just being near her since she was a child (Brenda was ALSO responsible for that). On top of that, even if Lucia had refused to go out and kill thousands on her own, those thousands still would have still died, as I remember it being stated that Brenda had a backup plan to remove Lucia’s nervous system and use it as a weapon. I guess what I’m trying to say is that, even though Lucia did end thousands of innocent lives, she really isn’t entirely to blame, and I’m going to stand by that.

Those are basically my thoughts on this route. One more thing to note is that, even though the writer, Ryukishi07, is apparently a highly praised artist, this isn’t really considered one of his better works. Like I said, haven’t played Umineko or Higurashi yet, so I really don’t have much to compare to. But even if I did get around to reading his other works, I don’t think the experience would match to this route. I guess I’ve gotten attached to Lucia, seeing how she, and Rewrite as a whole, had an effect on me. I mentioned on the podcast that me and the Buff Busters recorded for the Winter Festival about how Rewrite inspired me to start my own recycling habits. A lot of it came from Lucia, and I hope that I can continue to recycle for years to come.

With all that being said, Lucia will always be my best girl.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a time window: Like Kotarou left the copy room first, then later Lucia delivers the spooky message? She just took a piece of paper and wrote it. Nothing special about it.

1 Like

I don’t think so. When Lucia hands over the paper to Kotarou, she’s clearly surprised about the “or else, you’ll” line. Keep in mind, this was before he told her he was investigating Haruka Asahi.

She clearly acts surprised. Everything that’s shown from a different perspective than Kotarou’s is a dramatization. They talk a bunch about how the copy data would’ve still been on the machine after Kotarou left, right? So she printed a second copy, saw what was going on, then started doing the whole ghost routine.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.