Rewrite - General Discussion

I’ll put a spoiler warning anyway in case people didn’t read the topic title.

One of the biggest problems with rewrite is the multiple worlds theory/different timelines that would make it difficult for an anime to be coherent and understandable. In addition, the visual novel is very, very, very long.

In order for the anime to succeed, it must be two seasons with 23 episodes each, much like Clannad. I would propose the following outline:

Season 1: The heroines

Episode 1-2: Beginning of moon arc. I think this is a good way to introduce some mystery and suspense. Episode 2 should finish off with Kotarou being able to understand what Kagari is writing down, and this is a good segway into the common route.

Episode 3-5: Common route.

Episode 6-8: Kotori’s arc.

Episode 9: Should return to the moon arc, where Kotarou begins examining more timelines:

Episode 9-11: Chihaya’s arc.

Episode 12: Should return to moon arc once again, where the moon arc advances further and Kotarou examines more timelines…you should get the picture now so I’ll omit saying this again.

Episode 12-14: Lucia’s arc

Episode 15-17: Shizuru’s arc

Episode 18-20: Akane’s arc

Episode 21-23: Finish off moon arc, setup for terra

Season 2: Terra

Maybe this should only be 13 episodes, but Terra is pretty fucking long, epic, and amazing. Still working this out…

I agree that it should have 2 seasons with around 24 episodes each. But I think @Kotarou’s theory is better. Common Route need’s way more than 3 episodes. So split the arc’s in season 1 and the first half of season 2 to and finish with Terra in the second half of season 2. I really hope they will show every timeline and explain it with the moon route and don’t try to do butcher it to one timeline.

My dream adaption would be:

Season 1: 2 cour
Common route and Kotori route

Season 2: Rewrite Guardian - 1 cour
Lucia and Shizuru route (timeline reset needed in the middle since I don’t think these 2 routes can be done together)

Season 3: Rewrite Gaia - 1 cour
Chihaya and Akane route (can be mixed in one timeline, since Chihaya’s route doesn’t end with the world’s destruction)

Moon and Terra: movie trilogy

And a bonus OVA with the oppai ending

Oh god. That’d be total overkill for me. I’d have to skip it honestly.

I was dreaming for an adaptation like that too! We get so many episodes for each heroine.
Also, Rewrite: Guardian and Rewrite: Gaia sound so cool.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Rewrite - General Discussion

You word this as if to say one returns to moon after every arc, but you neither leave the space between episode for that to happen, and you in fact list episode 12 twice.

Sorry, maybe I should have made myself a bit more clear. When I meant going back to the moon arc, I meant that would take maybe 5 minutes of that episode. So for example, episode 9 would consist of the first 5 minutes of return back to moon, and then the rest would be kotori.

Makes more sense, I guess.

Still no way this would fly, the routes are way to long for three episodes.

Rewrite is simply massive, and while this is an idea I’ve seen proposed before, even the VN has holes in it because of how fat it is. No way it would have ever been properly edited. The only hope this anime has at being “good” would be to restructure not only the tone but the actual content pretty heavily. While this is a GOOD thing because Hinoue and Tanaka have a chance to make sure the vision is presented somewhat decently, I have zero faith in almost any studio to actually manage to do even that justice or be clever enough to make this work.

Other than Shaft.

1 Like

Do we seriously need this ? Everyone already gave their idea’s about an anime adaption in the Rewrite general forums.
Plus, it’s not like the animation studio is actually gonna read this.

The purpose of the forums is to discuss opinions. Do we seriously need this? No, but in a similar vein one might ask, do we seriously need forums?
True, an animation studio is not actually gonna read it, but it’s good to have some input as a sort of fantasy. I doubt the actual thing will resemble at all what I think would be good, but it’s good to hear some opinions.
Furthermore, this topic seems to be split to the rewrite general forums, and thus shouldn’t really cause too much problems.

How to not butcher rewrite anime: animate memorable scenes from the VN. The fights from Chihaya’s route, the date scene in Lucia’s route, the showdown in Moon, Shake it now baby now.

They don’t even have to be connected properly, as long as I can look back on those short clips and have it bring a smile to my face.

How to make it an adaptation of epic proportions? That’s a very tall order. For one, the whole “anime must be linear” mindset should be thrown out the window. Rewrite simply can’t work that way. Secondly, they need to know what to cut out gracefully. They can even cut out a route or two, thay would be just fine. Clannad did it, and still remained epic
Of course, naturally, they need to have enough time for it, so at least 3 cours will be needed.

I personally think that Terra would do very well as a feature-length film, so that’s an alternative

2 Likes

That’s more detailed than I was expecting from the thread title. Anyway, interleaving Moon arc with the other bits of the story is something I’ve agreed with for awhile. Having the first two episodes be focused entirely on Moon feels a bit deceptive to me though. In my mind, snippets of Moon within the first or second episode, and at certain junctures in the story (such as making a decision to go after, say, Kotori), would be ideal.

13 episodes for Terra seems way too long IMO. Maybe 4~ or so instead. (That basically matches up with @Pepe’s idea of it being a movie as well.) Terra is long, but a lot of it is just description of the action scenes and other things that “compress well” when thrown into anime form. The parts that make it good, for me, are also relatively short.

After having watched (pedantic pseudo spoiler: The Tatami Galaxy) I now think that even having no explanation of what’s going on could be decent, just because of how it all gets tied together in the end. However, I think @Bizkitdoh’s view is far more realistic: restructure it. Although… Rewrite’s structure played a big part of what made it great, at least for me. So I’d prefer it not be restructured in an “incompatible way.”

Something else that comes to mind is that the episodes could all be out of order. In episode n we’d see some major change occur, while in episode n + 1 we’d see something that would’ve been precluded by what happened in episode n. For example, (Lucia: The toxin (or whatever it was) kills off basically everyone. There’s no going back from that. Then, in the next episode, we could see everybody strolling around the park like nothing happened.)

Huh?

Should have said “fights” my bad :stuck_out_tongue:

I was never 100% sure about this but I’m 90% sure so I need to ask. (Terra spoilers) the first half of Terra connects the normal route right? like if you choose to try to kill kagari then she wrecks you and then I think kotori saves you right? and then that continues as your life until the start of the common route except in Terra it’s considered a bad end

Yes that’s correct. Kotarou has his memory wiped by Guardian. He like goes into a comma for many years, and then he wakes up and appears roughly the same age as Kotori&co.

1 Like

(Terra), (Shizuru), & (Kotori)

Choosing any option that’s not “Let It Go” in Terra will result in Kagari’s Ribbons defensively attacking, and mortally wounding Kotarou when he tries to capture or kill her. Kotori, who sees Kotarou as perhaps her one and only friend (even though they’re more like reluctant acquaintances) uses the Key’s power as a Druid to familiarize the truly dead parts of Kotarou (this includes portions of his mind).

Kotarou then goes into a deep coma for approximately what… 8-10 years? Long enough for the girls to all reach the same age as him (as he’s pretty much stopped aging, you know, familiar stuff). All the while the doctors he’s under the care of don’t know his true nature, and Guardian has written him off as all but dead. Kotarou then gets out of the hospital, and “transfers” into Kazamatsuri High School (Inoue wasn’t crazy, he was fishy as hell). Enter Rewrite Common Route.

Kotori feels that her saving him led to his drastic mood shifts to be the “Common Kotarou”, who is friendly and wants the most out of his life, as opposed to the sullen and depressed person he used to be. This leads to some deep-seated grief and feelings of the need for atonement, which is why she never allows herself to love him unconditionally the way she wants to, because she’s afraid he’s merely following her command as a familiar to love her. This is further emphasized during one particular scene in the Shizuru route after he becomes the Familiar of Shizuru following his second “death”. Kotori connects with him via their bond, and basically tells him she’s probably been holding him back for most of his life, at which point she severs the bond.

How does this all factor into Terra? Those missing years are what was needed for the possibility of hope for humanity. By not going into a coma, Kotarou, who is destined to be close to Kagari, gains the needed skillset through his time in one of Guardian’s PMCs to successfully double cross Guardian, infiltrate Gaia (which is made easier by the fact that he’s still cynical, depressed, pre-coma Kotarou), and eventually gather enough information to spread the knowledge of how to transcend the bounds to the Earth and go somewhere else once Salvation happens at the hands of Kashima Sakura.

Whew, that turned out to be a longer reply than I had intended. But, there you go.

11 Likes

Can rewrite be considered a satire on war? I really have nothing about this other than oppai route. But if you think about it, the problem of war has been solved by just something stupid and absurd so it basically in effect shows how dumb people are for fighting.