Rewrite - General Discussion

YGO - Story of a boy with a power, who fights to protect what he loves. Rewrite was just more round-a-bout with it’s meanings :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what I meant by “I couldn’t appreciate the rest of the route.” I don’t think that part of it was done very well, until after Chibimoth was slain. Terra made use of Kotori’s route very well though.

Did Kotarou even fight much in that route? It was mainly just running away IIRC.

There are a lot of people who, while they may be able to explain everything eventually, would still call them inconsistencies due to how baseless the explanations may be. Unfortunately a lot of information is unknown when it comes to Rewrite. Having an unreliable protagonist like Kotarou doesn’t help. A lot of what he says or thinks could be false information, but some people don’t believe a writer would place false information in their story. The Angel Beats discussions show that very well.

And yeah, I believe how Kagari acts depends on her surroundings, and I posted a theory for parts of Kotori’s route somewhere on the forum (probably in the Kotori discussion thread.) I think the big problem is that a lot of things in Rewrite are unexplained. We can try to fill in plot holes and inconsistencies with what we know, but it won’t stop people from saying the VN was badly coordinated (which it most likely was.)

YGO is not even close talking about how deep Rewrite digs.

We just think different about this, I did enjoy everything of Kotori’s route, no point on arguing about taste.

Not really relevant.

I think that everything can be explained after understanding the concepts explained in Moon, and I feel like everything fits pretty well. I mean, it’s not like is completely necessary that every route fits with eachother after Moon, so I can’t see the point of arguing about how Lucia’s route is out of place considering the VN as a whole, for example.

I would like to read about that, I like Kagari a lot and think that people who dislike her didn’t understand her role, neither the meaning of the character.

I may make a lot of grammar mistakes and I’m sorry, english isn’t my main language and it’s hard to argue about some topics.

That’s probably because the story was set up to be like this. Each route (or more likely, each author) was allowed to do its own thing and Moon was there to tie them all in together. Had it all been done by the same author, or if they had all done something similar with their writing, 70% of Moon would not have been needed. Some people look at this excess content and think that it makes the game bad since it really wouldn’t have been included if they had done the rest of the game “better.” Others believe the game is “better” because each route is unique, and they would rather have that even with the extra content included than have all the routes be more similar. Think of it as a cost to weight ratio of sorts.

Believe it or not, Kagari was, at one point, my all time favorite character. Specifically, the way she was given character was one of the things I thought was the most interesting. She had like 10 lines total, and yet somehow she developed into one of the more in depth characters of the game. I don’t think she’s my absolute favorite anymore, but she’s probably in the top 10 somewhere.

I wouldn’t really call him unreliable, but there are some times when he gets readers to believe his thoughts even if they’re completely wrong. My favorite example of this is when he finds the “Decaying UMA” towards the end of common route and brings pictures back to Akane as proof. Akane tells him that it was actually just some farmer’s discarded material or something, I don’t remember the specifics. In actuality though, Akane knows that it’s a familiar and she is just hiding it from him. Kotarou’s rational thinking probably convinced most readers that Akane’s information was right. Even all the way to the end of the game a lot of people still believe this information, likely because Kotarou is the protagonist.

also, damn you guys, I really want to re-read Rewrite again now… WHY IS THERE NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THINGS??

2 Likes

That’s the definition of the term “unreliable narrator” and since Kotarou is the protagonist, I call him an unreliable protagonist~ :stuck_out_tongue:

Would you call your friend unreliable because, only every once in a while, he does that you could not have relied on? That’s my point, I was saying that it doesn’t come up enough for me to call him unreliable. Not to mention that I attribute my example more to Akane’s speaking skills than Kotarou’s unreliability. I consider an unreliable narrator/protagonist to be someone who consistently and/or consciously misdirects readers; which Kotarou does not.

Fighting for what’s important to you is by no means a childish concept. Fathers work their asses off every day to put food on the table. Single mothers struggle immeasurably to raise their children. Soldiers going to war for their country.
Only when the concept gets reduced to “battle, love & friendship” does it become shounen material. But Rewrite wasn’t reduced that much. It was full of mature topics and concepts. Violence didn’t solve every single problem.

1 Like

I wasn’t calling anything immature, I was saying that there are more mature pieces of literature out there~ :stuck_out_tongue:
I watch those shows. They all raise the same topics as Rewrite. The only difference, as you said, is the execution of those themes.
For example, early on in YGO season 1, Joey finds out his sister is about to permanently lose her sight, and their family can’t pay for an operation to prevent this from happening. Joey, the pathetic comic relief character, is actually determined to do better than anyone expects of him. The execution of it all was bad because they never made use of the emotions such a situation would create, but the meanings were still there.
I think Digimon Adventure is a good example of these themes being used correctly in what is a children’s cartoon show. Adventure Time, and (to a lot of people) MLP do the same things.

MLP is still bad though

I think Salvation is different in different routes because there are different ways it can happen.

Shizuru’s route and the common bad ending is the standard salvation. The one meant to happen.

Life is turned into raw energy used for re-evolution.

In Akane’s route The key was damaged, and they had a human choir sing for it, this simply destroyed and destabilized things, it was not salvation.

As for Terra Once again, the choir had interefered in the process. The key is supposed to sing on her own, not have a choir interfere with the song.

That is my opinion as to why salvation is different in those routes.

2 Likes

Agreed, I reached the same conclusion. Salvation is different in each route because the conditions are different.

Salvation is always different anyway depending on what the Key judges as the problem. We know from examples present in the VN that the Key can blow a crater in the world, or erase whole species, or do whatever is necessary to keep the planet going.

1 Like

Indeed, but it almost always difers due to interference from others. (Guardian injuring the Key, Gaia capturing it and doing stuff to it, etc.)
I think the main problem is the same in all routes, I.E Humanity isn’t developing properly, and are consuming too many resources, so unless they show Kagari good memories, salvation will be initiated.

A good question is what happened to Kagari in the Chihaya route? who took away her ability to perform salvation? and why? Was it Akane? I don’t think so, as she wanted Salvation to happen so much that she made a familiar specifically to do so using Sakuya.

From the feeling I had back when playing the route, I’m pretty sure Kagari judged that there was no need for her to initiate salvation because Akane would destroy the world anyway after seeing her ‘unhappy memories’ of the holy maiden.

Perhaps…I still don’t think that makes sense because That isn’t what Kagari is meant to do. This isn’t about blowing the world up, it’s about deciding whether humans are worthy of surviving, and if not, then the song is meant to repurpouse them into energy for re-evolution. Perhaps like in Terra there wasn’t enough energy left for re-evolution?

Sadly, there NEVER was enough energy for re-evolution. All pre-moon parallel worlds, including the five girl routes, have ended the same way: Ultimately, the earth died due to Aurora running short, thus humanity was eradicated, regardless of whether salvation took place or not. That’s the big problem at the bottom of Rewrite’s plot and the purpose of Moon and Terra routes.

Indeed I am aware of that but Terra Kagari at the time didn’t know. It wasn’t until all her possibilities ran out that Moon Kagari and the Theorem came into play. Also I’m pretty sure re-evolution did happen, it just didn’t work out because life died out before it became intelligent or found a way to survive. All pre-Terra worlds did not end well but they hadn’t given up yet. Which is why I have trouble believing that this Kagari would just give up without trying. To me it felt more like she couldn’t perform salvation for some reason.

I personally find the Chihaya route to be my favorite route. There is something about how it ends that makes you hopeful. Chihaya is no longer lonely, she’s happy, and you’re getting married with her. Guardian has learned a lesson, and the occult club is back. Akane is being treated, Kotarou is strong and is able to protect her. It wasn’t perfect but it was the route that made me feel best. Especially with the glimmer of hope that even Sakuya survived in some form.

Most other routes made me feel bad because a lot of people died, or Kotarou went dark side.
Example, in Lucia’s route virtually all characters we know are dead, sans Chihaya, Lucia, Shizuru, Touka and maybe a few more from guardian. Yoshino, Kotori, Akane, Black Spice Alliance, Hissy Cat, Lustful Boy, Shimoko, etc. all dead. Same thing in Shizuru’s route. Kotori died first, killed by the Earth Dragon, then salvation basically killed everyone but Imamiya and Shizuru. In Chihaya’s route the fate of some characters are unknown, like Kotori, all we know is that she ran away and is writing letters. And in Akane’s route, once again almost everyone died. In Kotori’s route most people survived but we don’t see them again except for a glimpse of Shizuru in the end. Still, this route has the happiest ending for the characters, even if it’s not the happy ending for life.

I guess I just enjoy endings that end in a good way even if some sacrifices are made.

Pani and Gil’s sacrifice was sad. I wish they were used more, I enjoyed them.

If you’re theory crafting about Terra and such, I discovered a thing last week some people may not know. The friend-list has a huge wall of text about Terra-Kagari and Aurora. I haven’t thought much about that info myself yet but it may be of some use.

1 Like

Incase you haven’t seen this yet, it contains data for a few characters that you may not know.
Such as Sakuya’s height, and Nishikujou’s BWH.

http://www.prot.co.jp/psp/rewrite/character.html

1 Like

Ohohoo~ now thats something, now I finally know Lucia’s and Nishikujou’s BWH! hahahaaaa… oops im drooling

3 Likes

You could just have seen Lucia’s in the VN OP :stuck_out_tongue:

Why does Kotarou have a BWH though?
And his B is almost bigger than Lucia’s…What?

And Sakuya has an even bigger one.

Most anime/VN males have wide frames, so technically their bust is larger purely because their chest+back is wider.