Rewrite Cradles Tale Plot Summary

With the recent release of the Rewrite Anime’s Final Blu-Ray comes the bonus mini-game Cradles Tale, released as an epilogue to the Rewrite story, particularly picking up where the anime ended. There doesn’t seem to be any efforts to see it translated into English, but thankfully forumer Tsukishiro has generously provided us with a complete plot summary in English, which we’ve provided for you below! Thanks Tsukishiro for your hard work, we really appreciate it. If you’d like to check it out for yourself, you can purchase the Blu-Ray or DVD from CDJapan. Major plot spoilers below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/rewrite-cradles-tale-plot-summary/
2 Likes

As much as I love the message at the end and what became of pochi and chan kagari, it seems to me this “epilogue” has way more nonsense than it should.

Ah well, all’s well that ends well for Rewrite, I guess

The message is the same as original Rewrite, so this thing adds nothing. HF Kagari scenario and the Kagarin side story remains the best parts of Rewrite. Not to mention what a fucking slog Cradles Tale was. It’s not even an hour long, but it’s painful. The biggest issue is obviously how they constantly bombard you with mobage lingo. Like, I know Ignis Memoria is Rewrite’s only chance at being profitable, but this is pathetic.
Ultimately, I fail to see any value in Cradles Tale. It feels slapped together with mainly a focus on unfunny comedy. I would call it a cash grab if the anime was anything but an economic sinkhole too big to ever fill.

You’re lucky to be able to read HF. I’ve wanted to read those scenarios for years now, especially Kagari’s.
Despite how short this was, I had a hard time reading it even with text hooking as a backup.

While the message in the story hasn’t changed, I think the point of CT was to tell the players that all is well for everyone. Although, I would have liked to see Pochi regain his memories. If he’s basically a Sakuya 2.0 that shouldn’t be a problem.

I guess my big question is how this fits into the canon. In the anime, we see Kotarou and Kagari kiss as they both repeat their promise to see each other again (in Japanese). But this doesn’t seem to follow that exactly.

Wasted potential for this side story? Yeah. Do I appreciate it nonetheless? Absolutely. It’s really cool to see more of the post-terra world and more of Pochi’s character, even if it is mostly silly.

Thanks for the summary @Tsukishiro! I might post this on the blog. Can I ask, how did you read it if you can’t read Japanese?

1 Like

I can read Japanese at a borderline N3 level. Meaning, my biggest issue is Kanji.

So I used text hooking and the Rikai-kun add-on to help me identify unfamiliar words and Kanji. Then I simply used my understand of Japanese grammar structure. Some of the sentences used jargon that I wasn’t familiar with, but I got the gist of the meaning. I seriously need more practice though.

As for the canonicity, I can think of a few possibilities, but they’re a bit of a leap.
One is that Kagari was speaking her pluralistic language that only Kotarou (Pochi) could understand, but it was voiced in Japanese for the viewers.
Another possibility is that she did know a bit of Japanese (learned during Moon route?) but didn’t become fluent until she spent some time on Earth with the others.

Wish I could pick up Japanese that fast. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It sure as fuck doesn’t mesh with the R+ ending; I can tell you that.

Chihaya and others understand her too.

Same as I the first time I read HF and EX. Ain’t nothing lucky about it; it’s called persistence.

Key fans in China have almost finished the translation of Cradles Tale into Chinese. It’s a good news for me. :smile: