Rewrite - Chihaya Ohtori Character & Route Discussion

I was actually talking about this with the other guys over a call, and I think I have a theory as to why Kagari was in her “state.”

IIRC, it was pretty much Akane who made Kagari give up on salvation in Chihaya’s route. If we remember Akane’s route, one thing that they ended up doing was controlling Kagari such that they would perform the song of destruction themselves, and not wait around for Kagari to see enough bad memories. So my theory is that Akane tried to do the same in Chihaya’s route, but somehow failed. Maybe Sakuya had something to do with it? Maybe not? My memory is too bad to remember the details XD

Note: You could just skip the entire, boring part and just read my theory at the bottom. =P

Ah! There’s a scene in Chihaya’s route when Akane first found the Key. She found that the Key was “empty” and wouldn’t trigger salvation. So Akane wasn’t the cause for Kagari not triggering it. She gave up on salvation from the beginning, before Akane even found her!

I think that since Kagari herself decided not to perform salvation, she couldn’t sing the song of destruction and force Kagari to destroy the world, which make her look for an alternative way to ensure the extinction of homo sapiens (fusing Sakuya with a titanic familiar).

Also, I think it’s unlikely that she attempted to trigger salvation by force since the preparations for the chorus took at least a few months in Akane’s route (she had to train the holy disciples and prepare the stage at the City of Stone). I don’t remember Chihaya’s route to have such huge timeskip.

My theory: Kagari decided not to trigger salvation based on her observation, which yield passable results.
Akane couldn’t find a way to make Kagari explode so she gave up on the Key and place her bets on Sakuya instead.

Now that I actually looked back at it, I couldn’t actually find that much difference in my theory and yours. I guess I’m just wasting my energy because I was bored. (>0<)

1 Like

Well… My theory is killed off by my own terrible memory once again ._.

(this is part of chihaya route so I’m leaving it unspoilered)
But we’re led back to the original question: What did she observe that yielded passable results?
From Terra, we have deduced that what matters to Kagari is humanity having a hope of surviving after the earth is no longer inhabitable. What sort of signs may have popped up during Chihaya’s route, in that regard?

I don’t know. (-_-)

Heres a theory. Part of Kagari is connected to Kotarou (her ribbon), and Chihaya’s route is pretty much the route where Kotarou is happiest and the most positive. So what if Kotarou’s experiences influenced Kagari? Kotarou clearly saw hope and a solution to the war. Plus he also refused to kill and held onto his principles. If any of that leaked over to Kagari as she learned more about humans, it could have resulted in her applying Kotarou’s good memory on a larger scale. After all, Kagari wasn’t designed to have part of her implanted in someone else.

3 Likes

While I don’t see the connection between that and “good memories,” I am open to the fact that Kagari, especially as shown in Moon, is smart enough to figure out the cause-and-effect of things, even waaaay past the simple effect. In a more common analogy, she can figure out whether the flapping of a butterfly’s wings will indeed cause a hurricane. Thus, perhaps the way that Kotarou reacted in Chihaya’s route does, in one way or another, incite good memories. So yeah, you may be on to something

I think this is possible because Chihaya’s route Kagari is the most advanced Kagari. I am not sure ‘advanced’ is the right term to describe her, but unlike the other version of Kagaris (Terra & Moon excluded), she can speak fluently here.

anyways (kotori spoiler) I’m bothered by the fact that Akane successfully captured Kagari. What happen to Kotori? Did she kill her in process? Knowing how she’s possessed by Sakura, it’s a possible outcome, right? :’(

Kotori was most likely allowed to go, because at the end of the route the characters mention getting letters from Kotori.

1 Like

Everyone important was fine at the end of the Chihaya route.

2 Likes

Except for Lucia. Poison and all

ah of course. How could I forgot! D’x

You’ll just have to accept that and move on.

It’s fine, she can just keep it all bottled up in her boobs.

4 Likes

How dare you? Lucia doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment. Show respect to my waifu, please.

Lets calm down a bit, we dont want to start a fight over waifus. Kanon has always his own way of expressing. And also if possible keep the posts Chihaya oriented~.

It would be much worse if senpai said those things in Lucia’s tread. But sorry, @Kanon-senpai. I overreacted.

1 Like

He’s like the ED of the Chaos;Head anime.

She’s my favorite Rewrite character, but outside of her route she doesn’t really do… much.

2 Likes

Boy you must hate Kotarou a lot if that’s how you react to it :v

A sweet relief from the utter shit beforehand?

This blows all of Little Busters’ character routes out of the water.

Chihaya is a softcore tsundere. She’s strong physically, but weak mentally. She pushes away people she hates, but secretly she likes Koutarou. Her attachment to her butler Sakuya is unbreakable. In all respects, though, her personality is the weakest of all the main girls.

Her route, though, is another story.

The first half of the story follows the tried-and-true nakige structure: the first third is full of comedic situations, the second third has the confession and some sorrowful moments, but then the final third turns the structure on its head and turns it into a high-budget action flick. Koutarou fights often in this route, and nearly every fight has significance on the overall plot. It’s so tightly-written despite being such a long route, and rarely does it feel boring.

Since Chihaya is a pretty weak character, it’s up to everyone else to fill the void, and they do an excellent job. Sakuya shines in every moment he’s in, and unlike Kotori’s route, we actually get to see what happens to everyone else (except Kotori, of course). A lot of the questions I had in Kotori’s route were answered splendidly, although there are still things I wonder about. Akane and Shizuru become very important characters in the final third, and I’m kind of wondering why they have routes to begin with, because a lot of questions concerning them have been answered already.

Although Rewrite’s focus is very different from Little Busters, this story is very much Tonokawa’s. Koutarou looks up at the sky often. Cherry blossoms are a prevalent symbol in the story. Heck, Sakuya’s entire reason for existing is because of Key Magic. I saw the word ‘wish’ used at least once, too. Still, it seems all the classic Key references have been kept to a minimum for the sake of experimentation. It’s nice to see Tonokawa do something refreshing and different like this.

The music in this route really stood out to me. A lot of scenes utilized some great music, although not every scene was perfect in its music choice. That moment when Philosophyz plays in the background during the final battle really nails the mood.

So, I’ll end by saying that this is an incredible route, and that the other three character routes have a lot to live up to if they’re going to match the epicness of this route.

Sakuya best character. <3

9 Likes