Rewrite - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I didn’t see that way, but you have a point about the 5 routes.

I thought occurred to me today. Rewrite spoilers below.

[spoiler]We know that by the end of the story, Kashima Sakura becomes the main antagonist. But this development is often cited as one of the areas where the writing of Rewrite felt very lacking. For most of the game, she is never mentioned and has no noticeable influence on the story. It’s like, why her? They figured they needed a villain at the very end and decided it may as well be her. It felt really cheap. She didn’t even have a character sprite for God sake. Midou or Brenda could’ve fit the role just as well.

So, if I were making the anime, I would definitely prioritise Kashima Sakura’s presence in the early part of the story. I’d want her to be introduced as soon as possible, if only something as simple as showing her face on the news or something. Then build upon that; make her someone we’re very familiar with by the end of the story, someone we’re prepared to face as an enemy, someone who we can accept as our final obstacle.

It makes me think that they won’t just ignore the events of Akane’s route, and that her story will play into things. I wouldn’t be surprised if instead of following Akane’s route directly, Kotarou joins the side of Guardian and is forced to fight against Gaia, so we see the events of her route from an outside perspective.[/spoiler]

In summary, I believe that the events of Akane’s route will be very important to the anime. Also we have that Shimako illustration so the story of the holy woman must have some significance to the plot.

2 Likes

This makes alot of sense. I really like this idea. One thing I would add which I think would be interesting is to have Kotarou have dreams and see her in the common route. It would be kind of interesting to see Kashima haunting Kotarou really early on

8-Bit’s Shounen Maid aired yesterday (here is the OP:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUInsAJCrFQ)

the OP looks great, it is animated by 8-Bit’s star Ryouma Ebata!

there is something I wanted to say for a long time, I’ve noticed some people (I won’t give names) who say that the animation in the Rewrite PV are bad and that “choppy animation don’t suit key series”

First of all, Rewrite is different from other Key series, we key fans always try to convince people who haven’t read Rewrite that its different from other key stuff and you just come and deny that? are you insane?

Also the animations aren’t choppy, they are either normal animations or really fluid, the movements of the body and the hair are believable and the editing/photography is splendid.

Anyone who says that the Rewrite PV has bad animation clearly doesn’t know shit about animation, I can’t believe that some people said that the White Fox opening looks better, that opening is full of still frames and has a “hard-to-draw” design that doesn’t look on other angles, you should really do some research about animation and designs.

also “The amount of shading =/= good animation”

5 Likes

I don’t really know much about animation, but I think it doesn’t look bad at all. It’s more that the colouring seems a bit strange. But could you tell me more about the character designs? Like you said, and I heard it multiple times, these designs are better to draw from different angles. Why is that? I heard of an example that Grisaia’s designs didn’t fit if seen from other planes than the frontal one. Although I can understand this, I didn’t see any visual examples. Maybe you can give me more info and insight about that? I would appreciate if you can teach me more about animation, or if you have some kind of animation guide online which tells me?

You know, the job of an anime character designer is:

• Make the design more simple so any animator can draw it

• Make the design 3-dimensional so the animators would have more freedom when drawing it

• Make the design show human-like expressions

Unlike the VN, anime will have different images on every scene, the characters will stand at different places and will look around, thats why you need a design that is easy to draw and looks good on all angles.

a good example of this would be the IDOLM@STER anime, this show has a design that is simple to draw yet original also it looks good on many angles, here watch this Video and it will make things clear :smiley:

Grisaia’s design only followed the 1st and the 3rd requirements, I personally think that the 2nd requirement is the most important one.

Also I agree with you about the coloring, I wish if they added some more shiny light, the hair looks kinda bland and empty at points.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t care about the shading and all that. Kotarou actually looks very well-drawn with this kind of animation. My point is that Rewrite is filled with beautiful colors. The animation is too light.

The coloring is too pale for the Rewrite universe. Do you really think that pale animation would look good in Rewrite scenery ? The Rewrite scenery is beautiful, filled with colors that express the feelings of a certain scene. Point is that yes, story does matter a lot, but the scenery of Rewrite and how well it’s done, does matter too, along with all the post-common stuff that’s going on, involving a lot of action.

Please don’t try to say “I won’t say names” when there’s really only 1 person who said a certain thing. Everyone here has their own opinion on the art and animation you know. Doesn’t mean they’re not gonna watch Rewrite (unless they’re close-minded), just means they want the best for Rewrite. Just because their viewpoint isn’t the same as yours, doesn’t mean you have to be against it. At the end of the day, we won’t be able to change how the anime goes, so everyone’s opinions stays as opinions.

Facts still exist though :smile:

Bro I didn’t mention your name because I don’t want to attack you or anything, I just want to tell you that you were wrong, and you blew off the cover like that :confused:

also speaking of the scenery, does this look ugly to you ?

Wow, I never knew that opinions were something that people could call “wrong” even if it’s not their own.

The background looks gorgeous, reminds me of Ghibli stuff. Coloring for Lucia, Shizuru, and Akane look pale. I’m more worried about the scenery for moon than I am of that.

1 Like

Bro I agree with you, the colors on the PV look plain, I wish if they had more light reflection in them, I only said that you were wrong about the “choppy animation” thing, just calm down man I love you xD.

Also yeah I totally agree about the opinion thing!
1+1=5 beceause opinions!!!

2 Likes

Well thanks, that clears some things up for me!

1 Like

I agree with you, @Zaydgh98, there is a noticeable lack of shading and a lack of vibrancy of the colors as well. I saw no problems with the animation, as well. (But thats like, just the PV, but Ill keep my hopes up, anyway)

I’m really scared about this series because, according to my experience, most key works are really good as mangas or visual novels, but don’t get to me as animes. There is always something about the anime that feels off and unfinished, and I have problem enjoying them because of that. It is understandable because of the proportion of the work, but still. i really hope this one switches the tendency around, but I doubt it will unfortunately.

Excuse my pessimism, but I was really disappointed after charlotte so I don’t want to set my expectations too high.

If you’re talking about “past” Key anime adaptions, I think for sure Kanon 2006 and CLANNAD (both seasons) might have felt incomplete for you because of the ending perhaps ? There’s a lot of symbolism shown with objects and scenery that sets up the ending but is vaguely explained in anime form. But people get the gist of it, so it would feel complete to some.

^ I’ll just name those 2 since those are the only actually Key adaptions to actually be considered a great adaption from the majority. LB & Air were average adaptions.

Then we have Angel Beats!, where the plot was too big for 13 episodes and 2 OVA’s, and Charlotte, where there was inconsistencies and no build up.

I don’t think anyone should set their hopes up high for Rewrite. Enjoy it yes, love it yes, but don’t expect a lot out of it. Doesn’t matter what studio that Key would have chosen. It was already pretty much understood that a lot from the VN would be cut off from the anime.

Yes, the anime might turn out incomplete (as expected), but we should just enjoy the complete things that we actually get to see, whether it’s our favorite part from a heroine’s route, or from the common. Kotori’s english comes to mind… Yoshino’s song is also a deal…

3 Likes

I agree with you. Even though the anime is never as good as the VN or manga (in my opinion), it is always an enjoyable experience. (being a key fan might make me partial about this though) My point was simply that, due to the enormous quantity of material in works such as Clannad, it is hard to pass on the entirety of 300 hours of a visual novel in a 23 episode anime.

I believe I’ve spoken to @Zaydgh98 a few times about this outside of the forums.
The only reason I’m concerned for Rewrite’s anime adaptation is because I’m afraid the same toxic atmosphere and reception is going develop around it from the fans the same way it did with Little Busters.

Even to this day people still get all up in arms, and even throw spiteful comments towards me when I tell them that I enjoyed LB’s anime.
I enjoyed it for various reasons, the primary reason being that it took convoluted aspects of the source material and simplified them to fit an “adaptation” and even catered to the people that criticised the source for said aspects in the VN. I also liked it because it tells very the same narrative that inspired me so strongly and made me love the series in the first place, just in a different format.

Annd… I get that people didn’t like LB’s adaptation, but rarely do I ever see any proper justification for it, aside from the usual bandwagon spouting of “Y NO KYOANI, lel JC Staff sux, animation visuals lolz, read the VN no0b”

People tend to forget that an adaptation is called an “adaptation” for a reason and is not “The VN 2.0: Built with VN readers in mind”

I know it probably seems like a an obvious thing, but comparing every detail with the source when watching an adaptation in my experience only ever leads to disappointment. Which is precisely what many people were up to when LB was airing. The general consensus I experienced being “It’s not the VN so it’s bad” which a lot of newcomers feel turned off by when I try to get them to watch the series (and even read the VN) even to this day.

Rewrite already seems to be a breeding ground for the same exact issue, and that worries me.
I know it probably seems like I’m forcing my opinion out, but I honestly believe that nitpick comparing to source materials in an adaptation, and downplaying an adaptation for it only serves to harm a series reception, and reduces newcomers likelihood to stick around to develop a further interest. Ultimately those kind of ‘discussions’ in my opinion creates an extremely toxic atmosphere… And I’m afraid that it might happen again.

tl;dr1: Anime adaptation =/= VN 2.0.

tl;dr2 KyoAni is not the only animation studio.

tl;dr3: Encourage people, don’t spout uninspired bandwagon criticism and expect people to take you/the product you’re supporting, seriously.

12 Likes

I totally agree with you, I’ve seen many people here concerned about the Rewrite anime not being a perfect copy of the VN.

tbh that would be kinda boring, I’m very glad that Tanaka and the crew are going with Anime original content, Tensho mentioned on his twitter that this will be “a new Rewrite story” and I’m excited to experience my favorite piece of fiction in a different perspective.

As much as I like Rewrite, I know that there are some major plot holes in the VN, and those can probably be fixed in the anime, of course the VN will give you more context and a deeper understanding of the characters but thats what I like.
if I get to have good world-building/explanations from the anime and deep understanding of the characters from the VN then I won’t ask for more.

tl;dr I don’t want Rewrite’s anime to be a carbon copy of the VN, I want it to be a good anime and I want it to remind me why I love Rewrite.

4 Likes

What actually worries me about the anime is the ‘original route’ think. I consider the Rewrite visual novel a masterpiece, especially because of: the interesting and well thought story, the relatable and well-explored characters, the amazing and well used soundtrack, the voice cast full of chemistry, personality and emotion and the usually beautiful Key graphic with well chosen CGs.

Now, the idea of an ‘original route’ may affect some of those things in a substantial way. First, the story. The best part of the game were the character routes imo, and cutting them off, there will be only one good thing left: Moon (and the original route if it is good). Common route will be too short and Terra is… No need to comment.

And then, the characters. If the original route is not a compilation of the heroines’ routes events, but an actual story that is not included in the game, then it will damage the heroines. They are nice with only their superficial personalities (aka as flat characters), but the depth they got with their routes is what made them special, in fact. That’s why cutting their routes is cutting a big portion of the characters as well.

The soundtrack may also be affected, but it’s just a probability (that I definitely don’t want to happen). Some tracks, like the EDs, may probably never be played because of the lack of the routes. That would be really bad, because I love the EDs.

The voice acting would definitely be affected as well, because it was in their routes (when their characters were explored and were directly involved with the drama) that the seiyuus were given the opportunity to shine. It’s in their routes, we got to hear the voices of deeper emotions inside the heroines. Without the routes, we’d be just stuck with Chihaya being the usual klutz, and Akane teasing Kotarou, and Shizuru speaking nothing most of the time, and Lucia being a tsundere and Kotori being Kotori. Not that I don’t like those normal everyday voices (I love them, in fact), but considering there’s much more than that in the VN, it would be lacking. At least, we will have Kotarou fully voiced, though.

As for the art, probably no direct damage, but there will be no CGs. So 8-bit might have to compensate the lack of beautiful Key CGs with lots of sakuga moments and a solid animation in general.

This was quite a long post but I could express the reason for my worries. Even if the anime is bad, I think I’ll still like it because it will make more people play the VN and experience the same wonderful experience I had with Rewrite, so… This is no certainty, as I do not know the nature of said ‘original route’, but I hope they’re doing something similar to Key’s previous adaptations, and not cutting off all the content of the character routes.

2 Likes

I share the same worries as you brother,
I just hope that this “anime original content” is just a way to came things come together smoothly instead of being an original route that ignores the our loved heroines.

I want then to use the omnibus format.

Tanaka did mention that “they will coordinate the setting so it won’t feel inconsistent”, also he said that “its not okay to change it beyond recognition”

I just pray that this is a good sign for all the routes to be adapted

1 Like

It’s a fact that every VN player who played the entirety of Rewrite (or just Shizuru’s route alone) will rage if they do not hear Koibumi in the anime :yukitgla:

2 Likes