Rewrite - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

Good point, though they’re not really simulations per se. They legit happened in the story, and the branching timelines happened because of the high density of Aurora, afaik. It was the biggest explanation for the Kotarou on the Moon being the convergence of all the Kotarou in the timeline. Plus the bonds that he created in the branching routes were exactly the ones he needed to bring his Okaken friends to the Moon.

I’ll be glad to welcome the changes in the storyline, but if that means throwing away the stories in the VN that made Rewrite Rewrite, then that would be a waste.

Though I’m slightly nervous on how they’re going to pull this change off, it seems like they’re thinking these through very well, which should be a good thing.

My only wish is that in this so called ‘new path’, Lucia and Kotarou get together.

This has me really excited, and now I will do my best to finish the VN before the anime. If I read the VN right before the anime adaptation I know that I would nitpick the anime, but if it is more supplemental it would probably be more fun to have read it~

2 Likes

“New path”
More like “new thing to do because Aniplex only gave us 13 episodes for Rewrite so we need to use it for the best of our advantage” :kurumu:

Jokes aside, I hope that if this new path still goes into each heroine’s routes somehow, I really hope for sure it goes into Suizuru’s route. Her ending is beautiful. It’d be a missed opportunity to not hear Koibumi for the last few minutes of her route because of its beauty.

And hey, I hope we get more Kagari.
I mean, might as well represent her more if you’re going a new path…

Don’t look at the Rewrite OP2 after the anime PV. It’ll be disappointing, the PV…

BTW, is anyone capable of translating this interview about Rewrite ?

1 Like

Which would be funnily sad, considering that the character designer for the VN OP is currently the director of the series. :>

1 Like

Actually… we’ve been through this discussion before, and straight from the mouth of god, our theories have been shot down. More info in the Moon Arc Discussion Topic

It’s already on the article, under Update 2!

director of the VN OP

2 Likes

I actually did the same comparison. I like the eyes better in the new PV, though the art overall looks better in the Moon opening… Yeah… I won’t be watching the Moon opening anymore…

Just read it ! I’m excited ! Yay, Kagari is gonna be more focused ! The original story of Rewrite is great, but I’m excited to see where they go with this direction.

I just hope we’ll hopefully hear Koibumi. Koibumi’s a MUST.

3 Likes

But koibumi would imply shizuru’s route :stuck_out_tongue:

While the moon op looks hella better bear in mind that this scene was not animated in the moon op >v>

Basically yes. I cannot be satisfied without getting to see Shizuru’s route.

I just hope we can get that new Rewrite VN soon… Then I’ll at least be a little more satisfied.

But until then, I’ll be optimistic about the anime since that interview said that Tanaka was gonna give Kagari more of a focus. Not to mention it’s basically confirmed they’ll use the original soundtrack :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly speaking I was happy to see this finally in motion and some genuine 8-Bit produced footage… Buuuuut…

I apologise in advance if it seems like I’m pooping on the parade but I don’t feel like the actual content of the PV did the series any favours for getting people excited for the show outside of the VN readers.

I’ve spoken to a few people and some friends who were interested in watching the series in summer based on stuff I told them, and the general feeling I have is that a lot of people think it looks like a random harem show with loli girls.

And after watching the PV a few times I kind of see where people are coming from. Its a bit misleading as to the actual premise of the series, and it doesn’t help that a character like Shizuru (who If I remember correctly is supposed to be 18 years old) now looks even younger than she already did in the VN.

Tl;Dr the PV frames the series in a misleading way, I assume its to surprise people with the later tone shifts… Buut… I digress.

The problem being, non-VN readers I’ve spoken to honestly think it looks like some generic show. And for a first animated PV, that’s a bit worrying.

1 Like

she’s a first year so 16 I believe.

I agree though about it looking like a harem show but one could probably argue it is. Plus watch this CLANNAD PV (for English DVD but only one I could find) or Kanon 2006 (same as CLANNAD) and they both seem like harem shows (and again, arguably are).
I’m not sure what they could have done to avoid that as showing the non-common bits could spoil the show depending on how they do this.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the feeling that you would get from literally every Key work. But those who are too close-minded to bother checking it out simply from those connotations are just losing out from enjoying a wonderful piece of work

3 Likes

But the initial announcement used the VN Moon OP clips, which was 110% spoilers, so I was assuming they would frame the premise in this animated PV.

The difference is that Rewrite is an environmental conflict and pursues different genres to all other Key VNs. I don’t feel like this particular PV was appropriate. Whereas past works had PVs that fit their premise.

Man it makes me laugh how many people still try to push rewrite being an environmental conflict haha

3 Likes

It might be that the PV was composed of clips from the episodes they have produced so far, which is why the lack of post-common route clips.

I thought that the PV is just fine as it is, and even if they try showing Kotarou’s powers (his Rewriting powers, which was revealed pretty early in the story anyway), people will still think it’s a generic harem school anime without the slice-of-life because of the number of heroines as compared to, like, Kotarou and Yoshino.

1 Like

I actually thought the PV was pretty decent.

Just showing parts of the common bit wouldn’t be good at all. For whoever’s new to Rewrite and watching the PV, they might just think “Oh, wow, another show with dumb comedy and cliche characters in a harem” while they also showed the darker and mysterious side to Rewrite, which would give newcomers something to look forward to.

2 Likes

If they show the power though instead of a generic harem people might associate it with

1. Charlotte, Key’s last anime which had kids using super powers or
  2. Action Magical-school harems which are popular but not at all what Rewrite is.
1 Like

Well, the whole point of Rewrite was that it was marketted as a generic galge, and later caught everyone off guard with its sudden twists. At least this PV does display the more mysterious half of the story in the second half. There’s a clear contrast between the school life and the mystery in the PV. A ghost crawling out of the protag’s bed? That’s bound to generate some interest.

Maybe they could’ve dangled a little more bait for the uninitiated, like Kotarou getting chased by one of the dogs, but eh, they only have so much animated to work with.

5 Likes