Rewrite Anime - Episode 7 "A Place Lost"

I should have been more clear and elaborated.

Looking at this anime only. VN completely aside.

The primary aspect of this episode that I found to be such a turn off was the CG yes, the reason is pretty self explanatory. Its a huge eyesore and created a complete disconnect of incentive to take the content of the episode seriously. I couldn’t pay attention, or at the very least take the events seriously because I was thinking about how Barney The Dinosaur used a kage bunshin no jutsu looking like polygons out of an N64 game. It was unsightly and jarring to look at.

Second reason that this episode turned me off is exacerbated by the CG issue. This episode was supposed to be the big plot twist, the bridge to the real plot of the series and the transition to the new arc we’ve been promised. The issue I had being, everything happened so fast. There was no sense of smooth transition. This episode jumps right into a bunch of emotional twists to get to the Inoue search and rescue mission as soon as possible.

Already I was feeling disorientated and scratching my head. But then the action scenes started kicking in and while it was nice to see Shizuru and Lucia in battle, the impact and weight of the fight itself felt very clumsy. One in part due to the CG detracting from the weight of attacks and impact of otherwise nicely animated shots. The other in part to the lack of build up to this foreboding scene that should have been filled with tension underlining the true nature of these characters we’ve grown attached to.

I’ve been liking this anime up until this episode, which just has me worried and super salty.

1 Like

i don’t know how kotarou defeat leaf dragon in the vn or it more exactly i can’t imagine that scene so this episode help me more to think again the situation. and the best moment is the appearance of sakuya when akane-chihaya and lucia-shizuru fight each other (YES THIS IS THE REASON WHY THEY MAKE ORIGINAL ROUTE, i think)
fighting scene from lucia-shizuru is the best moment but i don’t why they add this scene in the anime not in the vn(include rewrite+)
kotarou’s struggle when he attacked by leaf dragon make me can’t let go my screen (look that painful face of kotarou)
and the last when the spectator hope the fight between kotarou and the ghost, kotori stop them again (i hope they change this moment in the anime though)
well, now we can wait the next episode in peace

1 Like

I think the contrary, My feeling was the anime didn’t want to do to Akane looks like an antagonist. Even if she keep her arrogance with Lucia and Shizuru. Here, Sakuya and Chihaya shows her innocence to viewers and to others of the Occult Club.
Something which doesn’t exist in the path of Chihaya and Shizuru, where she is more cold and aloof.

I would not be surprised if later, it occurs, between them, a form of reconciliation.
A bit like with Chihaya in the VN, when she meets them again.

1 Like

I have to agree. Though like Lucia said in the anime, “that was one heck of a speech.” I feel the speech got the viewers to feel the bond. At first, I was not convinced but after those words, I felt it was believable. I could be feeling this way since I’ve read the vn, but who knows. So far it’s been definetly worth reading the VN before watching this anime. The best comment I’ve seen so far on the crunchyroll website from a non VN reader for episode 7 was:

“OK, everyone who isn’t part of some random organization with unknown motives, please raise their hands”

Classic : )

1 Like

I’m really glad to see this anime get into the nitty-gritty of the plot. I DO still wish I cared more about the female characters, but now that the conflict between Gaia and Guardian is in the forefront, I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Obvious budget constraints with those CGI monsters, though. I mean, the fighting would have looked SO much more natural if everything was 2D, but… Haah…

I’m also surprised to say I’m starting to like Kotarou a little more than I did at first. I think the episode did a good job of capturing the raw emotion he feels at this situation. I feel bad for his Japanese voice actor, though. He had a LOT of yelling to do and, while some of it worked well, some of his screams of terror didn’t have enough emotion put into them.

1 Like

OH SHIT HE JUST PUNCHED A DOG IN A FACE.

7 Likes

I kept complaining about this episode, yet I rated it a 4.
Why you say? Well, this episode puts the rewrite we knew into rest in the least painful way… I guess
This at least makes me sure that the glorious name of Terra will remain VN exclusive.
In this episode you can feel the characters (FINALLY) and know what they are thinking, it’s a chance for anime-only people to actually like/dislike the characters! Also the way everything is presented is less random, and allows the viewers to get a grip of what’s going on.
But guys, maybe it’s just me but I still don’t like the way Kotori is presented, :masdum: her character feels off here in the anime… I just feel like the anime is ignoring her, and focusing on Gardian girls the most… Especially in this episode. (Maybe it’s not her turn to shine, but with 6 episodes left… Her turn might not even come)

Yes, the episode had terrible CGs (I’d say only the reptiles(?)'s CG was bad, the leaf dragon was okay imo) but the episode delivered everything we need to know before “the playtime is over” really well.

I’m a bit sad that The gaian girls didn’t have much attention… And their organization was shown as the “bad guys” while Gardian are looking like angels now to the viewers… But I still believe that they’ll focus on Gia in the next 2 episodes maybe, (at least that’s what I assumed watching the PV of ep8). If that really happened I believe the anime is going on the right track.

3 Likes

(vn spoilers) I was guessing that the lack of screentime for the three girls for the past episodes might imply more screentime for them in the anime-original route. Kotori, with her connection to Kagari, has a very big chance to shine, while Akane’s role in the anime might be about her role as the successor to Gaia. Chihaya’s role might be about her desire to bring back the club, considering the last thing she said this episode. But only time will tell. ;-;

2 Likes

That’d really be nice… but I can’t imagine that being a thing… That is because the number of episodes left is not much, meaning it’ll be hard to use more episodes unless the "new rewrite " is only 3 episodes long… Episode 8 is coming soon so It’s hard to have all of that animated.
As much as I want them to include chihaya and akane’s stories, I don’t want them to just rush the entire thing, I wish they’d proceed to the new part instead

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if some girls got the shaft as long as the anime has a coherent story. So far, the anime is too hesitant to throw anyone under the buss in my opinion. They try to have their cake and eat it at the same time, and that makes no one happy I think.

I think my opinion is the same as most people’s here: the episode got things done. [quote=“RyuuTamotsu, post:29, topic:3089”]
But guys, maybe it’s just me but I still don’t like the way Kotori is presented
[/quote]
SAME. She’s just there and we don’t see anything about how she’s doing or what she’s thinking (considering the shitstorm that’s happening around her) and I think the viewer would be really confused as to why she “isn’t on a side” or they might just think she’s a side character.
Buuuuuuuuuut they show that she can see Kagari so I can guess that they have more planned for her.

In my opinion if they had the same ED, just with the girls removed, it could’ve had more impact(and I would’ve tolerated the torching more).

Also I always thought that Kotarou’s Wolverine claws were more nebulous, but I guess not

Random Question: Was there always a purple wolf/dog/thing? My memory fails me…

1 Like

I know it’s an enemy in Rewrite Quest as a stronger version of the grey ones.

2 Likes

Wasn’t the stronger dog shown before (when Kotarou met Mido)? I’m pretty sure it was the red dog in episode 3 if I remember correctly.

That one is the boss of the first floor. Though in the anime, I guess the red one is meant to match Midou’s color scheme.

1 Like

Don’t they turn red if they absorb enough blood or something? Pretty sure that’s how it was described in the VN.

One time, yes, but at other times there are red ones who haven’t consumed blood.

Eh, probably uncoordinated writing then. That happens a lot with Rewrite.