Rewrite Anime - Episode 4 "Until We Return to Those Days"

What else more was there to Shizuru’s past? Wasn’t that it?

But that’s exactly the mark of good foreshadowing - something that feels just slightly out of place in the moment but is also easily forgettable. Only when the reveal happens do you remember the scene and realize what it actually meant. The more foreshadowing “sticks out,” the more it becomes something like a poorly placed spoiler. Anime was still okay with this (other “foreshadowings” so far have been a lot worse as some others have mentioned), but I think the VN was superior in execution because of how easy it was to overlook that one scene.

1 Like

Her hand doesn’t move, but the game is still playing.

Akane is an Ubisoft employee confirmed

2 Likes

Alright, just finished watching the episode and I rather enjoyed it for the most part. I thought Shizuru’s backstory on it’s own was well done and it was great to see it animated, along with Esaka’s “NAZE DAAAAAAAAA!!!” moment. As for the Kagari entering class moment, I thought that scene was actually kinda funny and it did foreshadow that Kotori is the only one aside from Kotarou who can see Kagari . The usage of the tracks “Scattered Flowers” and “Scene Shifts There” during Shizuru’s backstory was effective to get the heartstrings tucked. As for Koibumi being used as the ED, there probably wouldn’t have been any other place to put the song for the anime and since it was a Shizuru based episode that focused on her backstory, I feel that the shoe kinda fits.

That being said though,the Lucia bit at the end was awkward and too sudden for it’s own good. They should have saved that part for later or at the very least, the next episode, cause it feels awkward going from one backstory of a character to then trying to introduce the backstory for another character in the same episode. From that last bit though, I’m speculating that they’re probably going to tell the backstories of each of the girls for the next few episodes and then focus on the anime original material.

4 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed. Even for how the show has been going, this episode was really bad. At about 15 minutes in, around the thing with Shizuru’s name, the dialogue just becomes unbearable; practically all lines are read quickly, and there’s no time in between them. It’s a matter of milliseconds, but it adds up especially when it goes on for 10 minutes. I could handle random scenes being awkwardly stapled together because the scenes were decent on their own, and I can just fill in the blanks. However, this lightning fast dialogue is just too distracting. I actually thought the episode was more coherent than the previous ones too… It’s a shame.

Secondly, I guess people don’t realize this, but the names Imamiya Arata and Winter Fang are clearly stated in the credits. Why bother being conscious about them when the creators obviously aren’t trying to hide them? The same applies for Kagari and Midou. A name that would actually be a spoiler is Kilimanjaro. He looked nice, but it’s obviously hard to tell with just that quick shot.

2 Likes

I’m still deeply amused by Akane playing FPS games all the time.

Besides that, everything is so rushed that there’s no emphasis on anything, or any sense of tension. It’s just like “walking down the street do do dooo do do dooo GIANT ANIMALS TRYING TO KILL YOU dinner! classroom time EVERYONES BEEN MURDERED AHHHH just a dream~ grill gonna eat your arm I HATE TOUCHING FLOWERS REEEEEEEE” (I kinda made up some parts of that, but w/e). It’s like the original storyboards were twice as long, and they had to start cutting wherever they could, instead of the much more logical ideas of a) cutting content; b) expanding the number of episodes; c) just making it the Oppai Route. Which is close to the truth, except the original source, being the VN, was like 30x as long. I guess this is a curse for every VN-to-anime adaptation that wants to get the same amount of material into it, like Danganronpa, Umineko (well, that had other problems lol), Grisaia maybe; planetarian might be one of the few exceptions. I fear for the Dies Irae anime.

1 Like

This episode is definitly the WORST Rewrite anime episode so far. I don’t feel like re-watching it… Seriously… I never was much of a fan of Shizuru’s route but her backstory was pretty good. I actually liked the Shizuru pre-route where her backstory was told but… They just messed it up in the anime really bad. I’m disappointed. This episode was supposed to make me CRY!! But it didn’t!! I was just sitting on my bed looking at the laptop screen with a pokerface!! A friggin POKERFACE at what’s supposed to be a super FEELY episode!!! Just WTF?! I’m so enraged…Please don’t mess up the other girls’ backstories… Especially Akane’s, hers was the best (for me at least)… Uuuu… And I was pretty excited to see this one… And it felt kinda weird that they just put Koibumi at the end of the episode as if they were saying "Hey! We got Shizuru’s route done! Banzaai!! and I feel like saying “Hell no! That’s her friggin pre-route!!! Her pre-route!! WTF?!
Also, am I the only VN reader who felt weird watching this episode where they showed a lot of (Rewrite general spoilers, have to play one route at least other than Kotori’s to read the following)Guardian stuff? It might’ve added some “suspense” to the anime but it felt weird. And they just revealed it directly that there is an organisation that fights those monsters Kotarou encounters a lot and they have superpowers like him… or is it just me finding it weird and way too obvious 'cause I already know that? What struck me the weirdest was (Terra spoilers)Younger Esaka and his teammates showing up. It’s like they were saying that he’s just part of the same organisation as Shizuru and Touka.
Anyway, I don’t know if someone mentionned it in previous posts 'cause I haven’t read them but… They got Kotori braids back in the OP!! Banzaaaai!! Tho it felt weird with them lol, I hope they’ll remove them afterwards.
Altho I was seriously mad at this one (as I’d said, it’s the worst Rewrite episode… Probably second worst Key episode ever! PS: No Key episode can be worse than Kanon 2006 final episode lol) there were some stuff that were “good” about it… Not many tho…
1)- Akane playing on dat console! Akane you’re da first Key girl in m’heart and ya’ll forever be!!!
2)- Esaka screaming “NAZEDAAAAAAAAAAA?!”!! Esaka, you just rock!!
3)- Dat Nishikujou with lots of hearts in the background! I love dat pic!
4)- Nakatsu Papa, Mama and Imouto showing up! It was nice to see their faces!
5)- Kagari showing up in class made me jump and go all WTF!! That scene was great!!
6)- Akane again! Just her being in dat episode’s such a nice thingy~
7)- Chibi Esaka in the card! Soo cuuuuuute!!
8)- Weird guy Imamiya showing up and adding suspence to Kotarou’s past!
9)- Wolf Fang and Yoshino Wolf Band showing up! I was delighted! Really glad that they mentionned them! Well… They ARE a pretty important part of Moon after all.
10)- Also, Sakuya’s single appearance is like healing my wounded heart!! I wanted to hear his voice more!!
11)- Oppai Ending confirmed! Banzaaaaai!
Okay, I know all of what I mentioned doesn’t have to do with Shizuru… I mean, I like Shizuru when she’s moe. In this episode, she definitly wasn’t moe. Even when she was acting moe, I just felt disgusted. This episode took away some Shizuru affection points… She’s down from second to fourth place as a Rewrite heroine… This episode made Shizuru’s moe-ness look disgusting. Such an incredible power the Rewrite anime has! I’m impressed.
Anyway, next episode will without a doubt be Lucia’s. The ending just confirmed it… But still, I dislike the fact that they did the flower problem before the “cat” one… They just made Chihaya look like a B**CH!! Her behaviour should’ve been explained by the “previous” situation but… Ugh! I just dislike this episode… I’ll go immediatly turn the rating into a 1/5 than the 3/5 I just put…
Soooo, next episode (spoilers obviously) will be “Asahi Haruka case!! Poison poison horror horror hug hug in da church and friendzoning dat useless drama queen bitch with a good backstory all da way~”!! Yahooo I’m so excited!! I can’t wait no more!! (Actually, nah, I probably won’t be hyped up for Rewrite episodes as much I were before watching the fourth episode anymore)

EDIT: I think that they’ll tell Lucia’s backstory in the next episode but the other girls will have to wait… (5 heroine routes spoilers)Kotori’s would be easily told after Nov. 13th night since Kotarou will probably be on Kagari’s side which is also Kotori’s side. As for Chihaya, I’m kinda expecting her to quit Gaia and join Kotarou’s side. Her route kinda wouldn’t make sense if her, Sakuya and Kotarou aren’t on the same side… And her ending up out of Gaia wouldn’t actually disturb her story’s flow, actually since there wasn’t much interaction with “Gaia” in itself. Akane’s backstory wouldn’t make sense unless she’s the villain. Why the hell would they say that she’s the “holy woman” if we know nothing about Gaia? Wouldn’t make sense at all… Also, if you remember, even in the VN, Lucia and Shizuru’s backstories were told before that night and the other girls after so I’m expecting that night to come up around episode 6 or 7.

I… actually liked the episode. I’m actually legit surprised that it wasn’t as appreciated as I expected it to be.

I rewatched it earlier, and the only scene that felt really fast to me was the Lucia part at the end.

11 Likes

I quite liked the episode, the backstory kept to the basics in the vn and I enjoyed all the little antics from each character and finally being able to see Shizuru’s family. There was nothing really that big of a problem except for the ending with Lucia as everyone has stated. I don’t mind too much about them blowing out and saying oh shizuru is part of this and has powers since the main focus isn’t supposed to be the 5 girls but more on the 6th route.

2 Likes

I did like the episode because I love Shizuru and the music is great (Reply, Sanka, Scene Shifts There, and of course Koibumi). However, people above have mentioned some very good points that do make my score lower. The real deal breaker for me though, is what the episode implies. Keep in mind that this next spoiler is for the VN up to and including Moon and also basically pure speculation so don’t count on it.

Keep in mind that I absolutely love Koibumi, but ugh I hate how it was used in this episode. Why? Because that means we won’t see it where it was truly meant to be. It has no meaning when there is such a small connection between Shizuru and Kotarou. I’ll elaborate on this when I write a long overdue post in the Shizuru route topic. Of course, this is an anime adaptation so it’s expected that the story has to be cut but somewhere I was hoping that we would be going down all the way through the route and then resetting with Moon. Anyways my point is, it implies that we won’t go any further with any of the other heroines as well. Of course, this is the new 6th route so maybe, just maybe, they’ll be able to tie the whole story of Rewrite together and have the same meaning as the VN. And with this I can speculate that the anime series will only have 2 cours max.

Overall: 3/5

1 Like

If you remember what I said in the Discord chat about feeling so uneasy that I wanted to watch the episode immediately, it’s actually because I heard this beforehand. I’m not really expecting the anime to actually adapt the individual heroine routes, but ahaha I still want them to. ;u;

However, I still haven’t lost all hope yet, and that’s because of the way they used the song. The anime used the first verse to the first chorus of the song, and here is how it’s translated:

(screenshot from http://shiranehito.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-14.html)

In hindsight, it makes sense to the context of the anime, and it even managed to add another dimension to Shizuru’s character in the anime. Meanwhile, it’s the second verse up to the iconic last line of the song that (hints to Shizuru route in the VN) truly belongs to its original context in the visual novel, and unsurprisingly that’s exactly the part of the lyrics used in Shizuru route’s ending credits.

But this is just what I personally feel. I don’t want to heighten anyone’s hopes up like I’m doing to myself right now ahaha.

5 Likes

now we can sure how this development will going. i hope the next episode they will keep up this development until we can back again to the moon scene from episode 1
i can’t sleep again for several next saturday because i can’t stop all of these feeling after planetarian :grin:

I might be jumping the gun here because I haven’t watched it with subtitles yet (and I only understood half of the dialogue) but I think what the episode did the worst with the Shizuru route is that they kinda just half-assed it.

What do we get from the scenes they portrayed? We learn that Shizuru has powers, and because of that she ended up having a sad backstory involving her parents. Yes, we learn that in the VN as well. However, what Shizuru’s route in the VN does is give us more meaning in this backstory by showing us that, by the end of the route, that despite those bad things that have happened (including salvation), which may or may not be under our control, Shizuru (and by extension, us as readers) still have something to look forward to in life. The lack of emotional impact in what they portrayed in the anime simply was not able to solidify this message to the viewers. And I think anybody who has read my opinions recently on pretty much anything will know that that is a big no-no in my book.

So what does this scene give us instead, if not the message of the route? It gives us information about Shizuru and her backstory. But I question whether we really need that information portrayed in this way. I’m more than certain that if the goal was simply to introduce her powers then they could have done it another way. A much simpler way. (Rewrite VN)My memory is horrible, but I think maybe they actually did show Shizuru’s powers in Lucia’s route without going through her backstory. At the very least we know she is in guardian from both Lucia’s and Chihaya’s routes, and I think that info is enough. And I don’t think we need the information about her backstory unless it will be used to further her character development, which I am highly doubtful of.

In the end, I can’t help but feel that this was put in only to satisfy the VN readers who loved Shizuru’s route, but ultimately, this scene will fail to provide value for the anime overall, when they could have done it in a much simpler fashion. If this scene ends up becoming of more value in the future, then I will eat my hat.

(joke’s on you I don’t have a hat)

3 Likes

This wasn’t the Shizuru route though, it was just her common route backstory.
I remember that they said that all the girls will get their time in the spotlight.

2 Likes

Be that as it may, it provides no apparent value to the anime so far. If, for example, you got these scenes in the VN common route, then you went and did a different route (is that even possible?) it would also serve no value.

Frankly I would rather have that we get a coherent story and not give any of the girls a spotlight. But I guess it’d be hard to please fans that way.

1 Like

We don’t know what this new route will be like. We’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t think they’d throw character backstories for no reason. It’s pretty clear that all the girls will be involved in this route.

1 Like

Hm, yes, I do admit that the current lack of information is not helping my argument one bit. I do apologize for being pessimistic about it. I did say

So all of you are free to take that against me if it actually does happen :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

While it’s been a while since I’ve played I think to get this stuff you’re either going to get Shizuru route or bad end, same with what we’re probably getting next episode (Lucia spoiler) the Haruka Asahi mystery while both parts are technically in common I don’t think you could see them and get Akane’s end for example.

Also I’m probably the only one bothered Shizuru was first since playing the VN you can’t do her route until you finish Kotori’s.

I speculate that the sixth route will possibly (VN spoilers) end in Salvation, so they might have laid out the backstory to make the viewers suffer more ohohohohoho. But that’s just a mere guess. The inclusion of the backstory might somehow make sense if they actually end up adapting Shizuru route, but that’s not something that we would expect to actually happen. :((

I think the biggest reason why Shizuru route is locked before Kotori route is more on (Shizuru route) Kotori’s powers being a plot device in the route, and also because the topic of Salvation is speculated upon in Kotori’s while actually executed in Shizuru’s. So it doesn’t really bother me much. ^^;

What baffles me is I was under the impression that the entire reason they were writing a brand new route for the anime was to AVOID these problems.

5 Likes