Rewrite Anime - Episode 4 "Until We Return to Those Days"

The episode was pretty decent imo
I won’t go into details cuz you guys hated the same parts that I did

I think that the anime is just pandering to the VN fans by throwing a little bit of the girl’s backstories, but it seems like the anime is prioritizing Terra’s route foreshadowing and the organizations’ foreshadowing oh yeah and akane’s boobs

5 Likes

looking at some of the stuff they crammed into an episode in Grisaia, I wouldn’t be surprised. We’re actually at a similar pacing with Grisaia as that had 3 episodes for common (although ep 1 was normal length) with character routes being 2, 1, 1, 2, 3 with an anime original end. I could see them using those same numbers but rearranging so Shizuru is 1 then Lucia is 2.

Can people stop comparing Rewrite to Grisaia no Kajitsu? It’s true that they’re both really long VNs and seriously hard to adapt (I haven’t completed GnK but that’s a pretty obvious fact from what I’ve read so far) and they’re both adaptated by studio 8bit but it’s starting to get really annoying…

Anyway, am I the only that finds it weird that they still haven’t introduced Chibimoth?

It’s also the same director and other staff members. Grisaia and Kiniro Mosaic have a lot of things in common with Rewrite, so it’s natural that they will be similar at times; therefore, comparing them is pretty fair.

On the other hand, this adaptation seems a lot more inclusive which is kind of a weakness at this point.

2 Likes

But they’re still entirely different in a way. And it’s been a while since Grisaia was adaptated so they must’ve improved somehow. Comparing them is fair but people should at least wait until they watch all Rewrite episodes. We only got to see one character’s backstory so far…

(Lucia) Now I’m convinced that next week will revolve around the parfait. Here you can see the line used to promote Lucia’s character; she says this line right after finishing the giant parfait. It also wouldn’t make sense to go all the way to the church when they’re not doing Lucia’s route. Assuming that could even be done in one episode which I refuse to believe. Presumably they want to give tidbits of every girl’s story while preserving the status qou, so taking the story that far would just make it hard to do the other 3. The event where Chihaya gives flowers to the ill Lucia before the parfait eating also makes way for a Chihaya episode the week after.

1 Like

lol what a fucking joke

EY IT’S EPISODE 4 LETS DO A BUNCH OF THIS ROUTE FOR THIS CHARACTER WHO’S BARELY HAD SCREENTIME WOOOO WOOOOOOO
OH SHIT BOYS IT’S EPISODE 4 TIME TO BREAK OUT LOVE LETTER.
ok now we’ve had our ‘emotional climax’(pffftahahahahahaha) lets just FUCKING CUT TO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ROUTE AND TONE FOR THE LAST TWO MINUTES.
AND DON’T FORGET THE ANIMATION ERRORS

OPPAI ROUTE CONFIRMED 10/10 BEST ADAPTATION

4 Likes

The Grisaia comparison is unfair because Rakuen literally retconned Kajitsu to the point where nothing the anime did would’ve been acceptable because retcons.

Why was everything so fast?
As others have said, lot’s of stuff was really packed in here. My main problems were weird song placement/choice and people talking fast/weird timing for lines. Like when Shizuru forced Kotarou to forget her name, he remembered it before I could even realize what was happening (which made the scene lose a lot of impact for me).

For song placement, I just thought that some songs came up in weird places(I don’t remember specifically)

I’m half still watching Rewrite for the super cool OP/ED, but they took Sasayaka na Hajimari and (I guess) replaced with the awkward Lucia scene at the end. It was kinda spoilered for me that the episode would center around Shizuru, so I thought, at the very least, the would replace the ED with Koibumi. But no, they just outright took out the ED, tossed in Koibumi and Lucia at the end, and just cut it at that.

Please give me back Sasayaka na Hajimari, it’s better than a “preview for the next episode”

The only thing I liked about the episode was the Shizuru backstory coverage, I thought that went well.

The main problem is lack of build up due to the short time. Like it has already been said, shizuru didn’t even have much screen time and bam sad back story. But finding a solution for that would be tough, sure you can just slash all the material attached to them, and focus on the new route, but then you have all these non developed worthless characters lingering around for no reason… The problem is rewrite was written to be long, it has so much stuff woven together, that in this many episodes, you can only make a preview of sorts/rushed story.

I still love the anime, it is just that it is more of a ad to get you interested in the vn. I felt like Air’s anime was kind of the same way tbh. Obviously air had way better art, but I felt like the same problem of not having as much impact because it was sped up.

But back to the episode I feel like most of the problems with the episode, isn’t really problems with the episode, it is more the bigger picture, the not having the backing of other events. So I thought the episode was great (though they should of waited for the lucia scene.) That would of been way less awkward if they just put that in the next episode. It felt like a awkward next episode preview…

1 Like

Why do people have a problem with the Lucia scene at the end? I personally think that that scene was way better than the Shizuru telling her story scene.

that’s what all adaptations are though.[quote=“Kawaii-is-Justice, post:53, topic:2998”]
Why do people have a problem with the Lucia scene at the end?
[/quote]

It was just tacked on to the end of an episode that clearly could have used more time (even the extra 60 seconds or whatever).

1 Like

It wasn’t the scene itself more of how it was placed after the credits… I didn’t care too much but it was a bit awkward. Well most anime have the complete story rather than just it smashed down like this, that what I mean by ad like.

Maybe they actually needed waaaaay more time for the next one. Shizuru’s episode needing more time? The episode was definitely rushed but Rewrite since episode one had a rushed pacing… If they had made it slower, it would get boring instead of feel-y. And giving an unimportant character like Shizuru an entire episode to tell her backstory is just some friggin’ fanservice, nothing more than that.

I do admit that it was pretty awkward but it wasn’t that bad, was it? At least, they made the anime only viewers interested to know what’s wrong with Lucia before dropping the anime after watching a trashy episode like this one. (I know that I’m harsh but I asked many many anime only viewers and they hold this very same opinion)

How many are still watching though? Out of the 3 anime only people I know that started Rewrite I only know one that hasn’t dropped yet and I’m pretty sure she’s watching more out of an obligation for liking Key but having no way of reading VNs. We’re past episode 3 so anyone doing the 3 episode test probably dropped it last episode or would sit through anyway even without that scene.
I don’t want to speak for all anime only people as 3 is a small pool but at this point I don’t think too many people would be convinced to stay by that scene if they weren’t going to stay anyway.

Edit: Just asked my sister and she confirmed if it wasn’t Key she would have dropped it by now and even though she likes Lucia she would have just looked up a plot summery of her route instead.

Most people I know don’t do a 3 episodes test but a 5 one since most animes get interesting around there. And the three first episodes weren’t that bad compared to this one…

This episode could have been better. They don’t even reveal Silver Fang’s name and the conversation from the VN during the trip in Touka’s car is cut off. I wished it was longer.

Pacing problem is still there~ Animation look better somehow…

I agree with everyone that the Lucia bit at the end of the episode is kinda out of place. But I am more disappointed on their decision to erase Kotarou’s part time work with Terra Magazine and the usage of Koibumi song.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know what I expected, but quite honestly this was pretty bad imo.

First things first, even as a VN reader I felt like the show was just suddenly whamming me with all this information about a character that I have no reason to be attached to. Suddenly dropping Shizuru’s backstory when her actual character hasn’t been fleshed out at all was an extremely poor choice (maybe a necessary one, if the anime is really only getting one cour), and it just feels forced and unnatural. Anybody who hasn’t read the VN has no reason to care about Shizuru, her past, or her relation to Guardian .

Second, this episode suffers from the same problem as all the others - the pacing is lightning fast and there’s no time for any one scene to sit and really be digested. It’s even worse here because this is supposed to be a pretty emotionally charged episode, but the show just continues to charge straight ahead and trip over itself all the while. The combination of the awful pacing and my extreme disinterest in any of the characters (specifically in the context of the anime) just completely slaughtered any sort of emotion this episode might have carried for me. As usual, there was no logical buildup - the episode starts all silly and then suddenly gets serious with little transition in between.

Third, pretty much everyone else has already said this, but what the actual hell was with the placement of the Lucia scene? This episode was in desperate need of more time - ANYWHERE - and they took a solid minute or so of runtime with an insanely out of place scene giving some foreshadowing for a character that no anime only viewer would care about. I can think of so many places that minute could have been better spent (for instance, making the scene where Kotarou remembers Shizuru’s name not jarringly fast and completely lacking in impact), but they spend it like that? Good grief…

I might actually drop this at this point. The only thing keeping me going is my adoration for Key in general, but I don’t see this getting better.

2 Likes

What a great Episode! I love how they-

I’ll see myself out.

12 Likes

Oh please do elaborate. Let’s see a bit more positivity in this topic!

7 Likes