Rewrite Anime - Episode 3 "Welcome, Supernatural Phenomena"

Now that I noticed it, they look so similar. It might even become a fan-theory that they’re one and the same XD

Nah, the designs are just Hinoue being Hinoue :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t really have any strong feelings by the end of this episode, which I guess makes it the “best” episode of the anime so far.

As usual, the pacing is too fast to let anything settle in, and I feel like the atmosphere and tone of the scenes that they’re animating are just blurring together as a result. Spoopy hooded mans Midou’s introduction was insanely awkward, and I honestly feel like the impact of the dog scene was severely lessened by what they’ve already shown in the first episode. In general, I feel like the “mysterious” elements of the common route are totally gone, largely because of the supernatural elements they’ve already shown us. I even found it a little weird that Kotarou was so freaked out by a large dog given what he’s already seen.

Lots of character vibes still seem “off” to me, though for what it’s worth I think they captured Esaka’s introduction pretty decently. Akane wasn’t nearly as adverse to going outside as she was in the source, and in general Akane is just projecting a nearly totally different attitude towards the occult club as a whole compared to the VN. Akane’s little fanservice tidbit towards the start also struck me as a little odd - I guess it’s a decent way of subtly implying that she stays overnight at the school sometimes (although not nearly as subtle in other regards). Sakuya also seems much less cold than I would have liked - he doesn’t feel as distant or “above” Kotarou as I think he should.

I’ll probably try to watch until the show gets to the largely original content, as hopefully the constant feeling of rushing won’t be present by then. As it is, I felt like episode 3 was pretty mediocre, which…makes it better compared to my thoughts by the end of the first two.

1 Like

I can’t help thinking that this shot is a mistake and that his face should be shadowed. The next shot has his face shadowed, and the final shot of the episode is the same shot, but it slowly reveals his face as a “cliffhanger.” However, that reveal makes no sense because they showed his face from the very first shot. This can’t even be blamed on a heavy work schedule because not showing the face is less work. This would have to be the result of sloppy communication.

2 Likes

Fair enough, viewers unfamiliar to the source just went “huh lol wat is that him and whats he doing?” since the anime seems to have always shown him with glasses and all. So I’m getting that that cut, error or not, simply made such people feel more confused with what’s going on than revealing anything.

Side note: anyone noticed how his hair has highlights here?

Pretty sure that if a strange creature was after your life, whether it was a large dog, or a gigantic crab-like octopus thing, you’d be pretty freaked out no matter the case

3 Likes

Alright. First of all, before I actually talk about the episode, I just want to say/scream: WHY DOES EVERY DAMN ANIME HAVE THE “CUT TO SKY WHILE SOMEONE’S YELLING/RETORTING” SCENE?! IT DRIVES ME INSANE! EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. Possibly every episode of every show. Why.

On to the episode.

Shizuru is cute. <3

Akane is hilarious. And pretty darn attractive. And Kotarou’s edging the line between actually going all-out for the Oppai Route or not here, lol. That sinister smirk on his face as he looked at her breasts was hilarious, esp. when she caught him looking

I love the OP and ED.

That’s about it. Honestly have no idea what to expect from this show; looks all over the place. Here’s hoping it’ll do something unique with the Rewrite story.

4 Likes

Except even in the original visual novel Katarou gets used to the dogs - even prior to seeing the leaf dragon and actually progressing to a character route . He doesn’t completely sperg out every time he sees a dog.

Granted, it’s only his second scrape with obviously supernatural foes in the anime, and it’s his first time seeing one of those dogs in particular, which is why I said it was just a little weird as a small footnote at the end of a paragraph. I mean, there’s a lot of other things I could nitpick about the dog scene (like Kotarou rewriting himself to chase after Kagari with minimal amounts of internal debate, but not rewriting himself when he literally thinks he’s perilously close to death). Generally, my larger point was that the impact of the first dog appearance didn’t feel like a big deal compared to the first time he sees a dog in the VN. Midou just summons the dog and it immediately goes chasing after Kotarou - there’s no steady buildup as Kotarou goes from confused but curious to straight up terror.

I was actually more annoyed that they used (Chihaya) The super-hound that had been feeding on people and was therefore red.

But that’s really such a minor thing that it’s not even really worth complaining about.

3 Likes

That wasn’t even really a thing in the VN. It gets brought up that one time but gets blatantly ignored other times.

Which cut are you referring to?

Am I the only one who thought he wasn’t freaked out enough? Like, he’s supposedly panicking and running for his life, but that state of mind isn’t conveyed at all. Editing was normal. Camera work was normal. Animation was pretty normal. There’s nothing scary, exciting or chaotic about that sequence. It got a bit frantic when he was crawling outside, but that’s at the very end. You could use this exact material and lead up to him defeating the dog instead. That would make more sense since, while he would be running away, the camera would be solid because he would have control of the situation. This scene just seems worse and worse the more I think about it.

Edit: Next week will be a “Key-like” episode based on Shizuru.

What is that supposed to mean? In regards to Tenshou’s tweet

If I had to guess, it means there will be sudden drama. I don’t really know though… it still feels quite early for that.

On topic, I liked this episode a lot! I definitely think they’re doing the general interaction scenes with the girls rather well, giving us an idea of who they are in a relatively short amount of time but still giving us some of those sweet SoL scenes I like so much. Though the episode did have its improvable points. The chase scene didn’t feel as hype as it could’ve and the flow from scene to scene is still just as atrocious as always. At least the reactions aren’t as bad as before.

In regards to reveals and story progression, I’ll just sit back and wait. For now I’m simply curious to see where they’ll go with this.

Tbh I enjoyed this episode more than the previous two. We got so much in one eps! The cool characters are finally come into sight! Sakuya, Esaka! Really like to see the scene in Gennady’s menra stall animated.

I don’t know if this is just me getting used to the art or the derp faces are actually got lesser than in episode 1 and 2.

Actually I kinda wish the anime has less ‘that’ kind of fan service. I mean, they are rushing things over, why bother spending those precious minutes for that Kotarou-goes-ToLoveRulike accident scene? Could have been changed to something like, showing Akane how she hates to walk under the sun light. IIRC Rewrite VN doesn’t have that much of a fan service to begin with, and I like that. The other benefit would be to reduce Lucia punching Kotarou gag.

Another weird decision is that they changed the term accelerator to rewrite (already). Why? :sweat_smile:

I wish they will give us another club activities scenes in the upcoming episodes.

7 Likes

What if I say…

I enjoyed this episode because detail shoot of Shizuru’s face…I am sorry :pray:

I finished Shizuru and Kotori routes already…but nor other girls even terra and moon route…

As a player of the vn…I get so many spoiler…for example cockroarch monster at first episode, evil red hood man, that tsucinoko woman…

Also…from me…a girl perspective…rewrite anime trying their best to making much fanservices(too forced it maybe)–like zoom into akane boobs, touching lucia butt…but it doesn’t even bother me–because of their cute faces

Usually when I found ecchi fanservices in anime I would be “Ohnooo–I hope mother won’t come, or PLEASE NO-NO-NO while blushing and other embarrassed reaction”

P.S.: My cousin who never play vn said it’s a little bit confusing but he said he gonna bear with it

2 Likes

I thought the rewrite symbol at the end of the op would tick further with each episode but I guess not (which makes me very, very sad (like REALLY REALLY sad))

I really felt that this episode jumped from scene to scene, like first you’re eating with Shizuru, then all of a sudden you’re crushing cans with Lucia. I don’t know what I would’ve wanted, maybe a little more time between scenes (but that takes away precious time to add more scenes) so maybe that was the middle ground. Speaking of precious time, I thought that the scene where we see inside Kotarou’s head while he’s rewriting himself was awkwardly long. Maybe it’s just me, anyone else share the sentiment?

Also it was nice to see Sakuya and Esaka this episode ^^

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the dog. I feel you man.

I had this same thought, but there is a chance for this particular symbol to redeem itself. Kotarou rewrote himself in episode 1 iirc which may explain why the symbol ticked to the same position of 1 in episode 2 and 3 OP. Since Kotarou rewrote himself in this episode, maybe we’ll see the symbol tick further by one in episode 4 OP. Then it will have the same functionality as in the game which would make sense.

So anyways I rated this episode a 4. I really enjoyed this episode. Literally just because I love all the Shizuru scenes. I’m hoping for the (minor common spoilers) balancing the juice box. But I’m not sure if that will actually happen. But anyways I never really notice all of the weird animation and character drawings until I look at the Silly Rewrite Screencaps, so janky animation doesn’t ruin my experience as much as most others. Point is, the episode wasn’t super amazing but it was really fun to watch and that warrants at least 4/5 for me.

2 Likes

This haha.

I forgot to mention this, but I thought that the most jarring shot transition for me this episode was between the wide shot (full body) of Kotarou running in side view —to—> an extreme close-up shot to Kotarou’s eyes. For a moment I thought the latter was a flashback scene due to how sudden the camera came close to Kotarou’s face.

I’m no expert at cinematography, but I thought it would have been better if there was an upfront medium shot (head to waist) of Kotarou activating his power between the two cuts so that the shots flow better. The anime may be able to do so if they have made that scene you mentioned to be shorter.

That aside I thought the scenes in this episode transitioned better than the previous two? Maybe because the scenes this time cohere better because of the lack of the bedroom ghost scenes? ^^;

It’s not a full shot; it’s medium shot. Additionally, it cuts on a zoom, so I don’t really feel a need to complain.

Edit: About the timing of the rewriting, it’s awkward because I’d want the editing to be a bit more snappy, but rewriting is also supposed to take some time. Ep 1 quickly mentions that it was too slow to use in the moment.

1 Like

No complaints, another solid episode. My housemate seems to be enjoying it a lot too! 5/5.

Guess we’re doing (Late common) that Shizuru scene where they visit her parents! Not bad.

3 Likes

My main complaint here is that I really dont know if I would still be watching if I was an anime-only viewer and this didnt have Key’s name on it.

Everything so far just feels so… pointless. Literally. It really seems like the show has no goal, like its not working toward anything.

Every single scene goes by so fast, and switches to the next scene so quickly that it gives the viewer no time to process what is going on, what is important, how it fits in with the story as a whole, before having to jump to thinking about the next scene. The utter lack of transitions does not help this at all.

The only reoccurring aspect so far is Kagari, and her she does so little beyond being a mysterious existence that I almost dont care. And maybe it was my long break in between episodes 2 and 3, but it feels like even the purpose of the occult club is kinda flimsy: “Why are they goofing around like this again…? Oh wait, theyre, like, trying to find occult stuff or something, right? Because of boobs… thats really stupid…” Plus, all of the characters besides Kotarou are still kinda just… there. They barely have personality, theyre interactions dont mean anything.

And ultimately, I think all that goes back again to just how darn rushed it all is.

Comedy was on point though. I dont find any of the Lucia shenanigans funny, but everything else (y)

Since this post was kinda negative, I would go picking through details this time. I am actually really enjoying it nonetheless, but I am also pretty sure thats just because I already love Rewrite.

4 Likes

I don’t know about you but that’s kind of the same as what I felt in the VN :stuck_out_tongue: But what they were doing was all pretty fun, so I didn’t mind