Rewrite Anime - Episode 17 "Earth-Saving Hunter"

Discussion topic for the 17th episode of the Rewrite anime which premiered on the 4th of February, 2017. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany
Daisuki

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

10/10. Our boy the Rewrite piano is back.

5 Likes

Another really solid episode. My memory of certain aspects of Terra is fuzzy, but watching this is bringing all the memories back. Terra is just so… Unique. Among Rewrite which is already a pretty unique Key game, Terra is unique among Rewrite.

But yeah it was just, very chill, but heaps of awesome worldbuilding that would’ve certainly felt welcome in the first season. No real gags, quite a mature tone, despite the younger characters. Funny that.

I really love how they’ve worked so hard to differentiate Terra Kotarou from the others we’ve seen so far. His speech patterns and behaviour are so more introverted. I love the contrast.

This one gets another 5 from me. No complaints!

3 Likes

Hm.
I am at a bit of a loss here. I’ve rated this ep initially with 3, but then changed that up to 4…
I mean, it felt somewhat inconsistent. This ep.
I’ve felt like some parts were rushed, while others were done good.
As Aspi said, they’ve done mostly a good job with showing up the Terra’s Kotarou with his “new” behaviour patterns. Though, those who have read an original novel had had glimpses of it in Kotori’s route… and in Akane’s route as well.
I’ve loved Kotori’s introduction, though Martel’s parts of this eps felt extremeley rushed to me it would have been strange if they’ve tried to show us completely everything.
Then there was Iko & Pero both of whom felt somewhat different from my impression on them from the VN.
Opening as a song wasn’t bad, but animation was strange… and funny at some parts. I’ve loved foreshadowing closer to the end though… While it was an outright spoilering, meh.
Ending is exceptional. I love it. This anime is blessed with strong endings. 1st we had Word of Dawn, now we have Instinct (I don’t count Sasayaka na Hajimari here as it is the ending of Rewrite HF).

Not a bad episode. It feels a little disjointed for now, but it was amusing to see middle-school Kota go full chunni inside the forest. XD

Looking forward to how this goes next.

The OP is great. I love the song, and I’m not surprised at how much I liked it considering it’s a Shinji Orito song. Tenshou was right: it does feel like Terra. The sequence was pretty nice too. When I saw Luis in the OP… [war flashbacks] He’s precious, and I want to see more of him soon. The ED song hasn’t stuck to me yet, or maybe because of the humble visuals, but the song is pleasant.

2 Likes

This was another solid episode, personally yeah it feels quite rushed but from what I remember from that end it was mostly translated well though. I did felt like some few parts could have been slowed down but other than that I didn’t had much of an issue. It was pretty solid and enjoyable throughout, minor issues of course.

The way they portrayed Terra as well as portraying Terra Kotarou’s personality in here was pretty nicely done, as he’s pretty much more serious compared to the goofy side honestly, but that’s to be expected, again, since it’s Terra Route. Also I liked how they showed how the Rewrite looks like without aurora. xD It looked weird but then when I see that now it looks like X-Men + Kill la Kill (omg why did I even pointed that out?)

@Khsellhu - About the OP’s animation… I thought it was probably the same way compared to the previous Openings though, I personally liked one shot of the Opening which was this one (putting spoiler just in case)

But yeah they showed the last scene which for me I thought it was subtle enough though, at least to my eyes. Tho I will point this out: The song is pretty good~ I’ve been listening to it countless times after it was out ;w; Based Maon tho.

and @BlackHayate02, I agree with that. He’s too precious :'3 and I’m pretty damn hype to see him though. BRING HIM!

1 Like

Oh gosh we like the same shot from that OP. The way it transitioned from the image of the parents to the cracking and the “splitting of two personae” to the leaders of Gaia and Guardian appearing at the backdrop to Kagari appearing in the center… that was real good. (VN) And also one heck of a subtle foreshadowing.

3 Likes

Nah, I was more referring not to the art-style, but to the starting moves in the opening… I just don’t know how to say it in English, meh. Storyboard? of opening at the beginning was bland, funny, and felt copied over from 8bit’s Grisaia.
Then it became better, yeah.
The screenshot you’ve posted particularly is a good one, I loved this cracked glass with 2 sides…

I’ve quite enjoyed the episode. It reminded me the memories I had with the Terra route though it’s been a while since I played the VN last year. So far, I love seeing the adaption of the route with Kotarou as his younger self. The thing that got to me were seeing a young Akane and Kotori which they both looked so adorable. :blush:

I have to say I gotta love both of those songs but I think the ending song “Instincts” was more relaxed and enjoyable. I may have to listen to them both again sometime. There’s not much I can complain about the episode but I’m liking how it started out. I’ll keep my expectations low so I won’t feel disappointed later on. Overall, I thought it was pretty decent. We’ll wait and see how this goes further in the season.

if i can say for peoples who only watch the anime version without playing the game, they must be angry because after moon event now they must comprehend unrealistic development (for anime watcher only). But mature version still okay, if the scene where kotarou make a first contact with esaka, he said “esaka-san” without any introduction or how kotarou found his place. i hope they will not make it like grisaia,

1 Like

Yes I agree with you, many elements must seem should seem strange to many people.However, It was also the case for some people who have played to the VN.

Some additional details with Esaka or his parents could have been useful. Perhaps when Esaka contact Kotarou to give back his phone and when Kotarou asked him a question about an imaginary bird. To show the will of Esaka to recruit a potentially hunter and him to be a bad liar.

It doesn’t matter for the together. The episode was satisfactory. The scenes with Kotori seems fairly complete for the most part and Iko has gained a little of extra background compared to the game. I thought she was much older and her end risks to be much more painful.

It’s only shameful that they didn’t give more of time to Yoshino. To show who led him to become a delinquent.

3 Likes

I really like it this chapter. Maybe is strange for those who don’t read the VN but when you understand you enjoy it much more. Kazamatsuri Bond is near and the new opening prove it :yahaha:

I miss the VN Moon Opening :kudshock:

1 Like

Does anyone know whether the anime ever explicitly confirmed that Kotarou stopped aging when he was revived as a half familiar? I was watching this episode with my brother and he was confused as to why in this new timeline that he isn’t “young like the others” (in his words).

They talked about the coma last episode. There was a shot of Kotarou in bed and Kotori aging beside him.

I swear Kotarou said something along the lines of “time froze for me” at some point during the Moon portion. I’m hoping they find a way to show off the Terra Bad end into Common route connection.

THAT WAS SO FUCKING COOL LUIS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ALSO IKO

well its directed by URA AC-Promenade and Animated by Tadashi Abiru
the exact same duo that made the Grisaia no Rakuen OP and every single 8-Bit Rewrite OP lol (Also Maon Kurosaki)

URA originally made VN OPs for Frontwing but after he worked on Grisaia’s anime with Tensho he started enjoying working on anime OPs.

He also directed the new Terra ED

his style is pretty much not using too many frames but trying to be as stylish as possible, its more about making good shots rather than making boring fluid animation and I like this way of film making

for me its very interesting and refreshing, his work on the Moon OP is my personal favorite and this Terra OP is also one of my favorites :smiley:

2 Likes

i bit disappointed how they animated first kotarou kill scene… the gunfight was need more impact.

beside that i getting vibes whenever i see the opening i think this is an anime about spy or something like that.

the ending never disappoint me. it’s good seriously

also i finally can see loli akane animated

Really good episode so far, this brought many memories of Terra back and I definitely liked it. I find it curious they had the Yoshino scene this early on.

This episode was pretty good, however I feel it was overshadowed by one thing:

She’s gonna be the new Suginami, I’m calling it

8 Likes

Iko, with that hairstyle it seems like we all know what’s going to happen

hairstyle of death

That opening theme, opening sequence and that intro (first 30 seconds), I can go and tell my friends that they’re making anime about 007 here. NOT.