Rewrite Anime - Episode 16 "The Truth No One Knows"

This is just a minor thing, but for a person who was comatose for like a decade, Kotarou sure still looked quite neat. It’s a pretty common mistake made by a lot of shows across media, but when the visual novel made a pretty accurate textual description of his appearance at that point, the anime could have been able to include that detail. But eh.

On a side note, I really liked the part where Kagari finally completed the theorem. It looked awesome. I even made a couple of GIFs here, separated because I intended to upload it on Tumblr. There’s a small detail where Kagari broke her nail, and oh god it looked so painful.

6 Likes

Pretty good episode! It went over some things way too quickly, but it managed to be surprisingly clear on others. Overall it mostly leaves out things relevant to Moon route in particular in favor of setting up Terra route as best as possible. Which I’m fine with!

1 Like

For some reason i loved it when Kotori said “You’re asking a lot, gramps”

I think this episode would have given the anime only watchers a lot better feelings had 8bit and the producer done well with season 1.

I think the thing I’m saltiest about is how this will probably be the only time we hear Rewrite! How did this song get so shafted??

I know, we got that Tabi opening for episodes 14 and 15, and I wouldn’t want to remove that. But, cmoooon, we could’ve had Rewrite play for episodes 8-13 instead of End of the World! Cmoooon, why didn’t you use it there Rewrite anime ;_;

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the lyrics are very exclusive to Moon Arc. As much as I like Rewrite much much better than End of the World, there’s just something odd about using a song about someone’s determination to rewrite fate… as the opening theme of an arc about the protagonist dawdling about until end of the world hit them and he’s unable to do anything about it. :yahaha:

At this point, I’m just happy about the anime using the song so well… it really carried the exciting mood despite the unimpressive visuals that it accompanied. XD

Right now I’m just excited on what the Terra OP and ED will be. I wonder if it’s going to be a vocal arrange of Yuriha or Remembrance.

1 Like

Oh wow, I just realised how cool a vocal Remembrance would be for Terra.

2 Likes

It doesn’t help that MintJam’s arrangement of that track (ooh I somehow found it) is so goddarn awesome. :shizuflust:

I’m just happy the plot is getting better for me to follow, unlike in the first ep. I didn’t like how this episode was rushed however, I noticed that after the first couple of minutes watching. Still hoping for this season to have a much better plot than the previous season.

I dunno guys, I thought this episode was pretty amazing. I didn’t feel like it was rushed at all; if anything I felt that it was able to explain things a lot better than Moon was able to. What actually happened in Moon feels a lot less ambiguous in this adaptation, and everything finally seems to click in my head. Of course this is coming from a background of somebody who was already able to read it in the VN and think about it every now-and-then (especially with the great Moon debacle we had a while back).

The emotional impact was on-point (although pretty much all of it was calling on the routes I enjoyed in the VN and was not related at all to the 1st season), and the end just felt perfect, as it clearly stated Kagari’s reason for starting the whole “Theory of Life” experiment. Heck, I just can’t explain how much hype I felt hearing Rewrite as soon as Sakuya appeared.

If anything, the only flaw I can find in this episode is that it heavily broke the “show don’t tell” policy of good storytelling. But, really though, how can you explain something as complicated as Moon without actually telling it :masdum: Or at least, explain it in a way that isn’t ambiguous

This may be more of a “Moon gets better after experiencing it a second time” rather than “the anime did a great job with it” because, as far as I can recall, I actually felt like the VN was less impactful. Maybe if I read the VN a second time around, I’d feel what I felt while watching this episode in a much stronger light. Maybe I won’t. I guess I’ll just wait for the Steam release to figure that one out.

2 Likes

wtf Pepe
Anime had more impact than the VN??

1 Like

Talk to me again when I re-read Moon once it’s out on steam :stuck_out_tongue:

One interesting thing that I noticed about all the people talking on here about this… Everyone said that “Moon would fit in three episodes” and that the first two episodes were pretty great… But then why does this episode feel rushed? How else would they have fit everything in 3 episodes without sacrificing the pacing of the already great first two episodes?

(I’m just salty because I didn’t find it rushed at all)

1 Like