Rewrite Anime - Episode 14 "Three Cups of Coffee"

That opening is everything good in the world

1 Like

What about the whole we had a kid thing?

That is from the fan disc, Harvest Festa, though it was mentioned shortly in the original.

Here is a lovely Kotarou illustration by Hiromi Nakagawa, the new Chief Animation Director that joined the crew to improve the quality of the 2nd season, she was also an animation director for this ep, it looked great thanks to her!

she also did retakes for over than 100 cuts for the re-broadcast ver of episode 8

source: https://twitter.com/2tororo2/status/820187980795027456

8 Likes

The Opening Blesses my soul :’) clap claps

This was finally really enjoyable! I can tell VN readers will love this season. If they stick to the script and only cut out minor parts, they should be able to make this really good!

It’s just a shame that 70% of the anime only viewers already quit or are helplessly confused

1 Like

Somehow, the Rewrite anime managed to avoid my salt, this episode. While obviously not perfect, it was the first time I’ve truly enjoyed this anime without any sort of lingering feeling of disappointment. The OP had me squealing like a little girl.

While I’m still keeping with zero expectations for the rest, this was good. Very good.

slow clap

2 Likes

Looks like it’s off to a good start. It managed to cover all the main points it needed to without too much fluff. Really liked the brief op set to what sounded like “Journey”. Looking forward to the rest of Moon and I hope they dont breeze through too much of the fun side stuff.:kyogrin:

It WAS “Journey”.

1 Like

Nice, guess I haven’t gone crazy just yet

Next time just, read credits in ED:

You got it boss. Must of skimmed past the kanji.

I was disappointed with the first season but I really enjoyed this episode. It’s given me hope that they can actually make a good adaptation of Moon and Terra.

Same here, can’t tell what it was.
But I am excited for more new music

As for the whole episode, I was kinda confused by how they put all the scenes from the character’s routes, but by the end I felt that it was pretty solid.

I’m not sure if I like the OP or not. It is really cool, and I really didn’t see that coming, but for some reason it just felt “eh” to me. Maybe I missed something, because it has all the ingredients to make something I would love :confused:

1 Like

Well then, got to watching this more-or-less on-time. Here’s hoping I can keep it up, heh. Firstly, the opening sequence was brilliant, as many agree. The creativity involved, showing the distance between the earth and the moon, accompanied by the dance and finally Kotarou disappearing has way more meaning than most would think at first glance.

We then go into a whole montage of the different routes. While it makes sense in hindsight, and regardless of whether people actually understood what was happening or not, my only solace is that this finally digs the rest of these stories underground, so that the series can finally push the plot in the right direction.

And finally we see Kotarou’s interactions with Kagari, which was probably the highlight of the episode. I love how the anime finally remembers what they have been trying to push since way back in episode 3: Kotarou’s desire to find a place to belong. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember that being something he talked about in the VN. Thus, seeing him come to this realization over his interactions with this new Kagari is a breath of fresh air. Now all they have to do is connect it with the overarching theme of Rewrite, and this adaptation will have enough justification.

5 Likes

I can’t check it right now, but I am pretty sure he was talking about “becoming someone & finding the place he can belong to” in VN Moon…
And thats the underlying theme of the prologue as well, at least I always felt this motive there.

Aye aye sir.

This kind of the crowning moment of Rewrite for me, and easily one of the biggest themes of the story, so I’m ashamed you forgot it. At the very least, the anime hasn’t forgotten this theme.

6 Likes

I’ve seen people both here and on other forums wondering how anime-only people reacted to the start with the route endings and all my sister asked about was why Kotori kept calling Kotarou a “monster”. She did ask why they were doing all the endings but at the start of Moon I don’t think VN readers would have known why all the ends were needed so I don’t think that’s the anime’s fault.

Alright. Now that I have rewatched the episode and gathered my thoughts, I’m ready to discuss it properly.

What I liked the most about this episode is the portrayal of the “true Kotarou”. A lonely boy who didn’t belong anywhere and was too scared of being left behind. A pathetic liar who hid all his worries and fears behind a cheerful mask and desperately sought for closeness. My favorite Kotarou.
His falsehood-filled attempts fail completely and put his patheticness on display. In the end, his facade comes crumbling down and he’s faced with his true self, his fears and weaknesses. Finally, he can be honest about himself. Only then does Kagari allow for something like a connection to begin and Kotarou becomes meek.
That process, that revelation is instrumental for understanding both moon and Terra, and it’s part of what makes Kotarou’s relationship with Kagari unique. It was executed marvelously. Props to the voice actor, as well. He does a great job at acting out all the different sides of Kotarou.

4 Likes

This episode is like the reconciliation stage in an abusive relationship.

Things are fine right now, but I’ve been hurt too much in the past to let my guard down. If the anime can manage to keep up the quality of this episode then I may end up giving season 2 a 6/10. But based on how much they butchered season one I’m not counting on it, even though it would be impressive to be quite that bad.

Honestly Moon would be difficult to mess up. There isn’t much exposition that needs to be done so it can really be adapted directly without missing much. I’m not worried about the next couple of episodes but Terra was a bit of a mess even in the VN, so I wonder how bad it’ll be here.