Rewrite Anime - Episode 11 “Countdown”

I struggle to find even a single good thing in this episode.

6 Likes

I just finished the episode a while ago, and I of course have some mixed thoughts about it. There’s this “thing” that’s bugging me and it’s pretty much that Kagari’s Route or at least the Original Route, seems more light hearted than serious, it just seems like 90% of the time like that. But does it equal a bad thing? That depends for me I guess. In some cases, it actually works pretty decently because for instance, this episode in the scenes of Light heartedness rather shows more towards the fact of the characters not wanting to hurt each other, how they were getting along, etc. I do feel like in some cases the scenes work well. In some other cases, it just doesn’t work very well. It just doesn’t really do much and it kinda takes away the inmersion. Again, what I mean is that this doesn’t really feel like Rewrite that I know, where while there is some light hearted moments, there’s also a balance of serious moments. That’s kind of the thing that I like about the series, in here it doesn’t really feel much.

The episode itself was pretty enjoyable of course, getting to see the beginning where We get a glimpse of the backstory and perspective point of view of Akane in her dream, while of course remembering how the “Holy Woman” memories were pass through and through per each time, you know when they were chosen It was a slight and nice idea to showcase the role of the Holy Woman, and perspective point of view.

Another thing I wanna point out, I did pointed this out in the first paragraph, but I like how they just gave the characters feelings at least, in my opinion. The fact that they don’t want to attack each other for reasons, of course, demonstrated through the common route. It was rather the message I got from Rewrite in the VN from their ends.

Another thing though, I’m actually pretty interested in the direction its taking with Midou, since you know Akane basically made a deal with Midou and try to use him in order to get the Key, protecting it, just to pretty much grab her to use her for Salvation. Also another thing of course, considering that Kashima Sakura was foreshadowed as the villain, or antagonist of sorts, it would make more sense for Akane to take that role at least for me per say

Though I can only say, @Arete pretty much pointed an issue I had with the episode, aside from a little bit of the comedy not working well at times, the way that Lucia was saved was pretty… weird. It was quite… just weird in all honesty. I don’t really MIND that they would have done that, but the problem in here is that the way it was kind of done was rather weird for my end. I mean it can somehow make sense in a way at least since Chihaya was going over there… but, it’s more like rather weird as hell. From the Kagari thing it was fine for my end at least, I really didn’t mind it all that much, I just found the opening thing… weird as hell.

3 Likes

Man did they half-ass a potential character death ;_;

Other than the constant pandering, the episode is more-or-less just fine, I guess. It does add to the worldbuilding fairly well, and while it’s the kind of reaction that will only come from VN readers, the end scene made me feel tense.

They need to do away with harem jokes tho. :<

(I’ll get killed for saying this but I liked the introduction scene even if it was just mostly still frames.)

1 Like

It was a fairly decent episode, but I still enjoyed it. I liked how they were showing scenes just like in Akane’s route in the beginning where the previous holy women were met with despair as each of their consciences have suffered as they transferred their thoughts and emotions to their own descendants. She mentioned how each of the saints themselves try to fulfill their roles but ultimately ended up in tragedy and bloodshed. I’m glad Lucia was okay but it did feel anti-climatic that she survived from that fall after last episode and it was nice that everyone was getting back together after Lucia had was thankful that she was saved by Kagari despite the differences that Gaia and Guardian had with their disputes of finding the Key.

As for the rest of the episode, the feecof was really overused a lot which I didn’t mind at first when Kagari had loved when she was introduced to the unique taste and flavor at the beginning of the series. The hot springs part which is not a surprise to me as @Karifean mentioned that almost every anime has been using these scenes for fanservice is overused a lot and it is true to that degree. I didn’t think that Midou would go to Akane for wanting to use the Earth Dragon to use it to find the Key which I’m concerned how it’ll all turn out and the fact that in Akane’s route the singers at Gaia HQ will sing the song of Salvation that eventually humanity would suffer destruction at the hands of the Key as their ultimate goal. As well as it might turn out like in Kotori’s route where the forest will become under attack and Kotarou will have to protect the Key with Kotori as they try to outrun from the heavy situation that would befall upon them from both sides.

With only a few episodes to go, I wonder how this will wrap up but I’m still looking forward to the next episode.

1 Like

I wonder if we’ll get to hear the Earth Dragon talk~

OH MY FUCKING GOD ONE OF MIDOU’S GOONS PLAYING REWRITE ON THE PIANO I CAN’T DEAL WITH THIS THIS ANIME IS JUST TOO FUNNY.

11 Likes

I almost dropped the anime this episode. If I wasn’t already such a big Rewrite fan, I would’ve dropped it by now for sure. I feel like every time they start to say something interesting, some random comedy scene is interjected and kills the mood. It doesn’t help that they are reusing jokes a lot. Granted, I’ve always hated Kagari’s character and still do, but the anime is still managing to do a whole lot of nothing. And maybe that’s kind of the goal where we have this sol-esque story where we learn about each side right before everyone dies horrible deaths as some stark contrast cliffhanger to season 2. But that’s just so hard to do with Rewrite because of how characters keep talking about the end of the world and eradicating humanity in between sessions of lol Sakuya your feeco sucks. I think you can still insert well timed comedy into a serious situation and succeed, but this anime has been failing really hard as far as I’m concerned.

That said, I really liked how they showed Akane’s inner struggle with Sakura. The visual transitioning is something that works a lot better in anime over the VN.

1 Like

Welcome to Chihaya Route 2.0 the Rewrite Anime, where death doesn’t exist and friendship solves everything. Even the amount of plot holes matches.

Right about now, Tanaka is either furiously running around the studio and murdering everyone, or he died trying.

So, the OkaKen is gathering around the Key while Gaia and Guardian are about to carry the final battle to them. Kotori seems unable to make new familiars and Lucia is still injured. Nonetheless, this is a very new situation with several new possible outcomes. Kagari could even render a completely new verdict.

3 Likes

Like, why did I laughed at the first sentence here? Lol I’m sorry. But I’m dying.

Seriously, when have an anime character ever died from falling down an endless pit? No corpse = No death.

That statement is just elitist and has no basis. (And that’s coming from me who’s extremely elitist)

Rocket Punch is a thing, so I don’t see why Rocket Ribbons isn’t.

As for the adaptation, I’ve been not comparing this anime to the original work since it broadcasted. The reason is they only have that much time and budget and they won’t do a truly faithful adaptation, it’s more like they cannot do it without confusing most people out there that haven’t read the original work. Which is why Rewrite+ got released recently: You’re not supposed to look at this adaptation and expect all kinds of serious matters from every route being discussed. If people who never read the original and want to know more about it after all 13 episodes, they can read Rewrite+.
As for me, the original route is doing a decent job leading to Rewrite+, so I don’t think they’ll adapt Moon and Terra within 40 minutes of remaining airtime.

1 Like

The moment when you referenced Rocket Punch… I’m kind of asking if we are thinking of seeing the same series or at least a series I had in mind. Sorry for the irrelevant comment but I was just curious when you said “Rocket Punch”. Lel.

Rocket Punch is a general mecha trope though, I don’t have anything specific in mind when I type that reply.

After all, Kagari also busted out (Rewrite Harvest Festa Minigame) a Tank with a huge cannon and used it as an AOE attack in-game and a promotional desktop widget outside the game. So it’s not far-fetched that she’ll do something similar here in the anime.

Its not too far-fetched but I guess since I watch a lot of mecha… I basically got the reference, so I guess since I saw that word it reminded me of a series I loved a lot.

Except that Rewrite+ is only Rewrite, fixed up a bit and new art, along with Rewrite Harvest Festa!. The anime doesn’t lead to Rewrite+ or the original Rewrite at all. It went hyperfast mode the Common Route and then did an anime-original thing.

I… I’m lost.

We start off with a poorly placed info-dump about Akane and Sakura, and then move straight on into a total asspull of saving Lucia, to fanservice and a lot of wasted time. We have two episodes left in this anime original arc, and I just can’t see it ending well. I’m starting to get flashbacks to Charlotte.

Let’s hope that Episodes 12 and 13 prove me wrong.

(Side note, at least the animation quality was consistent this episode. Also,+ for the piano arrange of “Rewrite” at the end there, nice touch.)

7 Likes

At the least I figured that the anime wouldn’t be able to adapt the VN without leaving out tons of stuff. Even so, I thought it would still at least be enjoyable to watch as an anime, but whether you’ve read the VN or not, the everything’s so poorly structured. Sure, there were some funny scenes, but besides that, I’m simply confused as to what they were trying to achieve in the production of this.

2 Likes

10/10 Rewrite piano ver.

I had no idea Kagari’s ribbons could split, let alone fully detach. I wonder if there is some downside to her using them to heal Lucia, since Kotori seemed hesitant at first.

A few times the episode just abruptly cut between stuff happening in the forest to whats happening with Gaia, which was weird and distracting. You know what else is distracting? Feecoof. Feecoof ain’t even funny anymore.

THANK YOU
PREACH

I feel like the anime is trying too hard. Like its pulling out all the cool music as often as possible and adding cliffhangers (which is pissing me off to no end) yet at the same time is adding stupid fillers (like the bath scene). Meanwhile, there’s genuinely good content to explore like Gaia/Guardian. Going a mile wide and an inch deep there, Rewrite.

7 Likes

I…I’m kind of speechless. This somehow managed to become the single-worst episode in the entire anime thus far, in my opinion. Which is kind of incredible considering the only passable episodes have really been the first one, and the previous two. But this episode singlehandedly ruined everything the previous two episodes had seemed to be leading up to, and surpassed itself in terms of poor-quality animation by giving an unheard of amount of poorly drawn still images.

I don’t even know where to start, so I’m just going to list the biggest detractors…which are pretty much everything. The opening scene about the Holy Women was so poorly handled and dumped with little to no build-up and had NO emotional impact whatsoever. We were given literally no reason to care, and the fact that pretty much the entire scene consisted of horribly drawn still images which looked god-awful only ruined it further.

Lucia living. Midou living. Everyone living. Every single potentially interesting thing that had been left hanging from the previous episode, completely done away with. Rewrite has always been fairly impressive as a visual novel because, despite the seemingly whimsical, happy daily life segments of the common route, the majority of the actual routes handled the gritty aspects of an all-out war over the planet’s fate fairly well. Major character deaths were not shied away from most of the time, because the whole point was that sacrifices had to be made in order to side with either Guardian or Gaia, and someone else was always going to get the short end of the stick as a result (Rewrite, Terra route) until Terra, where all the heroines could grow up happily thanks to Kotarou’s own sacrifice.

There literally should have been no way for any of them to have survived all that…and yet they did. I’m also going to nitpick Lucia still holding onto her sword somehow despite being in the midst of an explosion, being impaled, and then falling off a cliff implied to seem the size of the Grand Canyon in the previous episode, then washing down the river. Even if she was going to live, the fact that she still had her weapon in perfect working condition is just ridiculous. I even double-checked the previous episode and she wasn’t even HOLDING her sword when she fell.

Midou, Tenjin, and Tenma should be dead a million times over. The difficulty of keeping their familiars alive with their own life energy in a poisonous environment, combined with literally being poisoned (and set on fire in Tenjin and Tenma’s case) should have killed them all.

Kotori saving Lucia by willingly using Kagari’s ribbons also made no sense. (Rewrite, Kotori route) Considering Kotori’s biggest fears and regrets are that everyone she has left to care about her in her life (Kotarou, Pero, her parents) are only doing what she wants them to do because she’s controlling them as a familiar, and considering how much she regrets becoming a Druid, the fact that she would just volunteer to use another ribbon on Lucia is so unbelievably out of character. Even if it “doesn’t count” because the ribbon didn’t actually go inside Lucia’s body, it’s not an action I could ever foresee VN Kotori taking.

Next completely horrible, utterly ridiculous, makes-no-sense-whatsoever point: giving the Earth Dragon to Midou. The Earth Dragon CANNOT be commanded by a single individual. Even assuming Midou, Tenjin, and Tenma are all going to control it as one (which still makes no sense, since Kilimanjaro and Krivoy Rog still haven’t been confirmed as dead or not), it literally makes no sense whatsoever for a familiar that takes almost the entirety of the best disciples in all of Gaia to control it to be suddenly handed off to an individual, or a group of three. I was honestly just staring open-mouthed at the writing in this episode by the time this happened.

Sighs. More fanservice. More stupid, unnecessary fanservice eleven episodes in when I had hoped that the Oppai Route tease in the previous episode would be the end of it. But no, on top of Lucia surviving in the most deus ex machina manner ever conceived, we once again had at least half of an episode dedicated to pointless fanservice where it was not needed, at all. Where the plot should by now be hurtling into its final developments and taken seriously, once again there was only mood whiplash at every single point. “Look, funny hot springs scene! But wait, look! Gaia and Guardian are about to battle and you should take this seriously for some reasons undisclosed in this horrible adaptation!”

This episode felt like the biggest waste of time because it made every other episode so far feel like it had also wasted my time. There was literally nothing I actually liked about this episode, this time around. I would honestly like for the next two episodes to prove me wrong and for this whole mess to come out with some genuinely interesting developments, but…I really wonder if it’s salvageable at this point.

If the anime ends on the same kind of note that this episode had, I’d like to just forget that this adaptation ever happened.

Edit: I can actually think of ONE thing I enjoyed in this episode, and it was the Rewrite piano arrange, but the sight of Tenjin/Tenma playing it on the piano made me burst out laughing and it was just too much to take seriously.

9 Likes

The only good thing this anime is doing is making things so terribly confusing that if anyone is interested they’ll have to go read the VN (just like DEEN’s Umineko anime). The fact that Lucia survived with little to no impact on the plot clearly means that that whole scene with her fighting Midou and getting impaled was only there for shock value and for people to be like “oh no, what will happen in the next episode!”… CHEAP TRICKS, 8BIT!

Also does it bother anyone else that they’re barely showing any of the aurora training?? At all? Like I don’t even know how far along Kotarou is (if he’s farther than he was before AT ALL). It just looks like “Sakuya kicks Kotarou’s ass for 10 hours [HD]”

Praying for Salvation

5 Likes