Racer's Corner

I hinted at this in my introduction post, and after searching the forum a bit decided I’d like to talk about this.

Who here follows motorsports, likes racing games, stuff like that? I wanted to know if I was the only guy like that in the community or if there’s a lot of people I can strike up conversation with on the topic.

For anybody interested or just curious, please use this thread to shoot the breeze.

1 Like

I rode an arcade racing game for the first time.
I went against my cousin (who loves those types of games)
I crashed every 2 seconds
I won
He blamed the “game controls” for his loss.
In reality, he lost because I kept crashing into him (unintentionally), causing him to crash towards the wall. Then whenever he tried to get ahead of me, he would hit me from behind and fall farther behind cause I wasn’t good at controls, so I kept blocking his path on accident.
I’m proud.

STAAAAARRRRRR POWERRRRR !!!
KAGARIN POWERRRRRRR !

I never rode another racing game in my life afterwards.

I would be a terrible driver. I didn’t even know which peddle was the one to move the car in the racing game (but eventually did). I didn’t even know what the lever did. It just made some sounds so I kept using it :3

1 Like

Oh man. This is the last place I expected to see this topic.

I’m a huge racing fan, more specifically, of Formula 1. I can name every world champion in order by year, and I’ve seen quite a few historic races. (There’s a ~1TB torrent somewhere with nearly every race since 1978, of which I’ve 203GB worth.)

While I do watch some races from other series, WEC, IndyCar, GP2, etc. Formula 1 has always been my biggest interest as far as racing.

I play Forza, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, and every Codemasters F1 game with the exception of F1 2010.

I could go on but I should probably stop myself before I go down my own little rabbit hole. :yahaha:

3 Likes

I suppose it would be a little odd if I didn’t point out my own experiences after getting a couple replies.

I think I’ve been around racing as long as I’ve been alive. Actually, though, I think the first races I knew about way back when were ones I read about, including drag racing and land speed record attempts. That’s part of why, probably before Monaco, I followed the Indy 500.

The first sim I ever played was actually one of CART, Flag to Flag for the Dreamcast, but it was pretty broken. I could cheat through every corner by jamming on the Reverse button and slowing down way quicker than the brakes normally let me.

Such started my career as a weird power circuit pilot. Ovals, Monza, I guess I’m just a leadfoot.

I haven’t played as many F1 games as I’d like to, but there’s this one I’ve been part of the ongoing beta for called Racecraft that’s very F1. It procedurally generates tracks that actually look like FIA Grade 1 tracks, so that’s really cool.

Boy, I have a game in my collection and my thoughts about it are kinda complex but maybe that one’s neither here nor there…it’s called Ballistics and if anybody wants to hear me rant on about that I guess I’d have to ask permission before dragging out Miss Jena and a treatise on game design…ahem.

3 Likes

Except for the brief period in which Robert Kubica was an F1 racer, motorsports are not particularly popular in my country (Poland). Not to mention the general absence of race tracks.

For the aforementioned reason, my main interest in racing comes from car magazines I used to read, Initial D, and, foremost, racing games. I enjoy playing various types, be it arcade or simulation. I’m currently getting close to finishing GRID, and after that I’m going to buy DiRT Rally, which seems to be an amazing game.

1 Like

I’m honestly not well engrossed with racing and motorsports etc. I’m pretty ignorant to put it lightly haha.

Although I do really like Mario Kart. I’ve been playing since I first got my game cube and played double dash. It’s such a favorite of mine

I’m kinda bumping an old thread, but it’s the most fitting place to share this :kyogrin:

I’m really into sim racing, mainly playing rFactor 2

Back in July, I entered RaceDepartment’s IndyCar league mid-way through the season, and since it was July and Rewrite was airing, I went with an itasha livery :shizuflust:

After a few races, a friend of mine over there wanted to join me and form a team. Planetarian was airing at the same time, so here’s the sister car!

We had both cars on track for the Fontana and Indy rounds (I’m Oli McGown, and my teammate is Shawn Jacobs). It was awesome fun to race in Key colours and we were generally able to run in the top 10, but we didn’t get the best results unfortunately.

@Aspirety Are these liveries something that could fit into the K.E.Y. at all? I could put the skins up for download so that others can add the cars to their game. It would be a bit of a strange submission though :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

If there was a place I wasn’t expecting KEY to show up was in racing. Awesome job with those reskins, I absolutely love them.

Unfortunately, while I like driving games, currently I don’t have a racing wheel or a controller, so I wouldn’t be able to play it even if I wanted, cause keyboard just sucks for these games. Otherwise, I’d be more than happy to play for a bit some rFactor with you.