Planetarian VR Project Confirmed

After a quick crowdfunding campaign, we can now say for certain that Key together with Asmik Ace will be working on a planetarian VR animation. According to the crowdfunding page, the project will be based on the projection shown to the protagonist in the original. Yumemi, animated in 3D, will act as a host and provide explanations of the stars shown in a 360 degrees environment around the viewer. (The 2500000th customer commemorative projection will not be included). D&D Pictures, who assisted with the anime and its planetarium related event, will be also be working to make sure the presentation matches up with a real planetarium. It’s stated that the plan is to make the completed video available not only in Japan but also on global platforms and devices. As of reaching 100% there is yet no announcement of stretch-goals for the crowdfund, and the expected delivery for patrons is April 2018.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/planetarian-vr-project-confirmed/
3 Likes

I wonder if tears are harmful to VR headsets?

This looks awesome!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-11-17/planetarian-launches-crowdfunding-for-cg-vr-anime-video/.124166

Visual Art’s/Key launched a Campfire crowdfunding campaign on Friday to fund a full 3D virtual-reality anime video for planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume. The campaign’s goal is to raise 10 million yen (about US$89,000) to produce the video.
If successfully funded, the 360-degree virtual-reality video will feature “Yumemi Hoshino’s starry sky explanation” scene from the net anime. D & D Pictures, which produced a special planetarium project for the anime that debuted in March, is returning to produce the new anime video. The anime will utilize the latest 3D motion capture technology to create Yumemi’s facial expressions and motions. ASMIK Ace began streaming a demo video for the anime on Thursday.

Those rewards looks awesome. I really want to get some D: I might need to use a proxy >.> I see mention on ANN about figures, but I don’t see the word mentioned in Japanese. I want a figure >.>

8 Likes

That looks awesome. A real treat for those who want to live out that scene in the novel.

In that video its kinda weird, but Yumemi is waving her hands awkwardly trying to keep us awake during the presentation. Plz don’t sleep Mr. Customer.

3 Likes

This had like 55 days to hit its goal and it’s fully funded a day and a half in. Hot damn!

oh my god…

Oh. My. God.

OH MY GOD

This is absolutely everything I’ve ever dreamed of! I can’t stress just how much I’ve wanted to see that presentation (which was, IMO, the highlight of planetarian for me). And having this confirmed as a reality just has me way too excited.

now then, which VR headset to invest in…

2 Likes