Planetarian - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

Of course, I’d argue that KyoAni should do every Key series that got adapted by some other people, such as Little Busters! & Rewrite because KyoAni has a capable director, animation team, and stable budget. Not to mention they have very suitable animation for Key. Just thinking of Rewrite being animated by them still gives me chills because of how beautiful it would be.

But for Planetarian, I’d argue it shouldn’t be done by KyoAni. With Planetarian, it’s more about the story than the scenery. (While other Key stories are very much about scenery). Maybe KyoAni back in their 2000’s day would be perfect for Planetarian, because Planetarian is set in a post-apocalyptic world, meaning having dark scenery (which is what KyoAni had back then), but KyoAni now is more Bright and colorful. Not to mention they put a lot of focus into the eyes, but for Planetarian, it’s striving to stay away from the eyes until the final scene.

If we talk about A-1, I think I’ve only seen Plastic Memories, SAO, and Anohana from them. I haven’t seen much from them so I won’t say much about it.

I think the animation studio picked is perfect. I’ve only seen Inu x Boku SS, and it seems like a very-fitting animation for Planetarian. I don’t watch their new works so I can’t say if it still carries that. From what I saw in the Planetarian PV (which isn’t much animation), it looked very fitting for the scenery in Planetarian.

For Key works, I’d argue that it needs Gorgeous animation because of the scenery they put out in their stories, but Planetarian is really the only Key story that I’d argue about not needing to have that animation that gives details in hair strands, or in the eyes, or movement. Planetarian’s setting and character designs is really something that animation studio’s who don’t use bright colors, should do.

I guess Harmonia’s setting is set in the somewhat same situation, but Hinoue’s character designs makes it feel like it needs to be a animation studio who uses bright colors because of the eyes, and especially hair if it ever gets animated.

1 Like

Just saying, Kyoani make great anime but trash adaptations. Chuunibyou added a new character (Sanae) that wasn’t in the LN, Hibike added all the yuri undertones, Free completely changed the story (from a friend so not 100% sure as I’ve neither watched or read it) and Myraid Colors only had one volume out at the time so it probably added or altered the story.[quote=“Totoro_Futaki, post:41, topic:2590”]
Plastic Memories
[/quote]
That’s Doga Kobo not A1.

I’m with you 100%. I’ve seen Inu x Boku and JoJo’s and while I probably never would have thought of DP if you asked me who I would want to do a planetarian anime now that it’s been announced I think they’re one of the best choices.

I’m pretty interested in staff than studio honestly. My first idea for director was Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate) but he’s directing Orange which releases in Summer so I’m not sure if he’d be able to do both.

4 Likes

[quote=“Doublethree1, post:42, topic:2590”]
Just saying, Kyoani make great anime but trash adaptations. Chuunibyou added a new character (Sanae) that wasn’t in the LN
[/quote]Oh, they did a whole lot more than that. The LN and the anime are almost completely different in terms of plot and character motivations. You’ve got to give credit to KyoAni for making a show that takes a dump on the themes the source material had in favor of blowing the animation budget on chuuni battles. The LNs only have one chuuni battle per book and the plot is better executed, imo.

But I digress. It’s a practice I feel KyoAni tends to adopt more often than not, and at this point I’m inclined to believe there is no perfect animation studio for Key works. I’m interested in seeing what David Production can do since I haven’t seen any of their shows, as far as I know. Maybe they will bring something new that I haven’t seen in other Key adaptations. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, Ruru (that girl with green hair who’s like a Barbie Doll size) wasn’t in the LN but was added into the anime.
I mean, I don’t think the anime could be successful even if the change didn’t alter since there’s really no plot until the ending for Phatom World.

I’d love to see P.A. Works try adapting Key works. They’ve done 2 Key-Anime Originals, which yes, has major flaws (Angel Beats! had too many characters and a big plot put into 13 episodes and 2 OVA’s) (Charlotte had that “no-build up” execution for episode 6 and episode 11, and the criticism for its pacing on episode 13), but overall, I think they’re capable. Their animation quality is gorgeous, and I personally enjoy their anime originals/adaptions.

Shirobako, Another, NagiNoAsu, etc.

I heard P.A. Works actually offered to animate LB back when LB was still waiting to be animated, but was rejected because of having a small staff doing a big project such as LB (Hah, Key, J.C. Staff has a big staff but big staff doesn’t mean good story and good animation).

From what I’ve seen, I’d love to see P.A. Works animate Harmonia if Harmonia ever does get an anime announcement. Right now, the only animation studio’s I trust for the character designs for Harmonia is P.A. Works and KyoAni. Of course the KeyAni ship has sailed away, which is okay because P.A. Works can easily mimic KyoAni. Only difference is that KyoAni has amazing animation at ever scene in their animes no matter where you decide to stop, while not always, but P.A. Works has its moments like that sometimes. But story wise, I’d place my bets on whoever’s doing the Planetarian anime, if it turns out well of course, since the stories are very similar in settings.

I guess in Harmonia’s case, it’s more visually appealing so I’d want an animation studio capable of consistent animation of it. But of course, I’d take bad animation + a good story (Toradora) (For me at least), over great animation + a bad story (UBW) (again, for me at least), any day.

And hey, we always have Toei too ! (Lol no. I shouldn’t even joke about something so scary and frightening to imagine) :love:

But let’s just see how Planetarian’s anime turns out. If it becomes successful and is adapted well, hey, we might get more Key X David Production adaptions (I’m still rooting for P.A. Works X Key for anime originals of course). (Insert Yumemi emoji with a smiling hopeful face)

1 Like

A broadcast of planetarian will go live o nico nico this friday that will be announcing staff and composers and various other information along with maybe a new video.

I still feel bad that the tickets for that event sold out literally as I was pressing “next” on the order form >.<

Oh man that sucks, its crazy how fast they sell out.

Well… It’s Key after all… Not to mention something that fans waited over 12 years for… Not to mention since it’s so short, it’s almost impossible to screw up.

Now if only they would announce Harmonia’s VN release (as in specific date and not season)…

Planetarian anime is confirmed to be a 5-episode TV anime that will air this summer, it will also have a side-story movie on September.
The anime will be directed by Naokatsu Tsuda.
He is the main director of all Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure’s seasons.
here is the PV: https://youtu.be/LuJ7QSMJwv0
Lia will do the ending theme song.

here are the character designs

EDIT: -
Here is the main visual :smiley:

8 Likes

can you link the source?

here: http://planetarian-project.com/

tyty

1 Like

c-can someone make an article already ? :komue:

you can go for it if you like but it probably won’t officially happen till the morning. Also i can’t find where itsays it’s only going to be five episodes.

I got the news from this guy, he translates stuff faster than any other Anime news site, you should follow him :smiley:
https://twitter.com/pKjd

Yeah thanks found the info, sad its only 5 episodes and a side story movie but I guess its fiting for a really short vn.

yeah, I personally think that 5 episodes is better than one movie

Wow, those character designs are beautiful. Thank goodness it’s not gonna be in 1st perspective. Anyone know if the original character designer from Planetarian helped out with the Junker’s design or ??

A little disappointed it wasn’t a movie, cause you know, I think 5 episodes are equivalent to 1 movie (Haruhi’s movie was equivalent to around 5’episodes in time), but looking forward to this ! I do think a ONA-series is just as great though. I think people bond better with the characters when they’re put into a series, where it’s really pretty much week after week, seeing characters you love (and hate), while in the movie, it’s like a 1-Time thing, which is very plot-driven. 2 Key adaptions this summer, Rewrite+, and the Tomoyo After English edition ! Hype ! Feels summer.

Is it still sad that I’m hoping for a Tomoyo After anime ? :pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive:

The key visual is really pretty, but I wish it had some colors that aren’t blue. Yumemi’s ribbons are yellow most of the time to balance it out, but they even changed that. The image just look too somber, I think.

I prefer ONA to movie. For the ONA series there’s a chance Crunchyroll or someone will pick it up (like the FF series that just started) in July. For movies we have to wait until a home release a few months later and it may just be my experience but for movies that have no official subs the people with the worst English seem to be the ones subbing.

1 Like