Planetarian - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I just counted 40 frames(equals about 3 seconds of film) of hand drawn animation in the whole PV. The rest are just stills or CG. Please don’t pretend that any amount of useful information can be discerned from that. It’s most likely not even the same key animator that did the whole thing. The amount of people who could possibly have worked on this PV is astronomical.

Also I really shouldn’t have to point out how dumb it is to focus on animation studios; there are numerous videos out there that does it better than I can. Just look at how many different people and companies that aren’t 8Bit were involved in the animation of GnK http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16140

We’ve added a translation in the blog post.

2 Likes

Yes. I realized doing so is a stupid idea, but It’s just some fun speculation you know. Not meant to be taken seriously (if you couldn’t tell). Not everything has to be taken seriously. :love:

On other news. I can’t wait to see little Yumemi being animated :slight_smile: Show the world your gorgeous self !

2 Likes

Based simply on the visuals of the PV alone… Does anyone have any idea which animation studio might have produced those clips?

From what I could tell by the scenery artwork, and character models (from what we could see) it looks somewhat like the style of PA Works. I could be wrong.

I do hope they animate parts of the Drama CDs, especially Hoshi No Hito.

I suddenly had this weird idea, based from the one scene of the junker opening the door, that the entire movie will be played from a first-person point-of-view. Just some food for thought

7 Likes

I’m not sure whether or not I’m 100% convinced this is the real deal yet, but regardless: building off of what @HeliosAlpha pointed out, there’s almost so little actual animation in this PV that I could be persuaded that it was made just to make this fake more convincing.

Let’s hope I’m wrong XP

You know, if this was a joke, I feel like they’d know it anger fans. In that sense, I’d like to think they wouldn’t do that.

But who knows lol

It is just so incredible! It took me at least a few minutes of staring in disbelief that such a thing could happen. I’m both so excited :smile: and so shocked :kudshock:.

Something I noticed is that the Junker says that he lost his gloves before he came to the planetarium in the visual novel but in comparison to the PV, where he is wearing gloves when he opens what I assume is the planetarium doors.

That would be disappointing for me. I’d like to see the Junker get some character design. But he’s what, a middle-aged man ? Oh Key. Give us someone that looks like Akio… If the original character designer does design the junker if it’s in a third perspective… Eeji Komatsu’s character designs for other works nowadays looks great though.

I actually thought the Junker’s clothes looked like Rei’s clothes for a bit.

2 Likes

One more reason that it’d be hard to think of this as a joke: ZEN, who has worked with Key before, has sent a congratulatory message on twitter.

This was posted shortly after the announcement from Key so it’s kind of impossible for him to have drawn it without knowing in advance… Unless he’s in on the joke

1 Like

he can draw fast

6 Likes

I have a feeling this movie is going to come out around fall since it would fit the theme, and it wouldn’t get in the way of Rewrite’s anime airing date during the summer.

David Production hype! Did they announce any staff too?

DOOOOOOOORARARARARARARARARARA

I love the new title/logo, it feels so fitting. Also, Jena-san is looking very pretty.

(Vague Planetarian ending spoiler)

My heart goes out to whoever is animating those ending scenes, try not to damage your devices with tears.

6 Likes

I prefer the old logo :slight_smile: It was written so kawaii. Made me feel like Yumemi actually wrote it :slight_smile:

@Pepe That would surely solve the issue of the Junker because we don’t really know what he looks like in the first place. It is a great idea yet it would be too much of a change that I think it would shock people, and also as far as I have read, we all want to see how Key copes up with this and hopefully gives him a nice design.

In other way I can’t wait, I hope that it will give us the same vibe as the VN did. The only thing I am concerned about is that I HOPE they will make the ending as emotional as it is in the VN. If not Im going to cry either way anyways.

1 Like

I’m also looking forward to seeing this going on as well. The drama CDs would be a nice expansion to tell the rest of the story but I guess we can only speculate how it will turn out. I just saw the PV and it looks like exactly how the post-apocalyptic future looked like in the VN but I am also glad that Suzuki Keiko is still doing the voice of Yumemi. :blush:

2 Likes

I note that in the PV, Yumemi wakes up in a dim room with a single computer displaying the same number that is on her dress (SCR5000) along with ‘control system’ and other information, probably Yumemi’s system information, meaning it is probably the same computer the staff use in Snow Globe to track Yumemi. She also appears to be leaning back into, considering the shape and position of it, what is probably her recharging station in a staff room, which she then steps off of.
It is interesting to compare this to how she chooses to go into sleep mode in the planetarium seats during the repairing of the projector in the visual novel.

It is nice that the design and layout of the planetarium and the building will make more sense in animation, already it is shown that the door seen in the lobby CG in the visual novel was the entrance on the roof top beside the roof fences.

2 Likes

I pulled open reddit, saw the trailer and rushed over here. Omg. It’s been awhile. I still listen to this playlist I made of planetarian songs which I put up when I’m looking up at a starry night.
未来とゆめのほし: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCYA5PxGRBvSGKPYPPIex_6c4iMHIKwW2

The production company David Production has mostly been doing JoJo’s Bizarre adventures and notably, also did the animation for Code Geass R2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia which I remember were nothing to jump at animation wise but at least they were solid. Wish A1 or Kyoani were doing the animation. Then every scene would be a screen saver.

I get the feeling the movie will come out near November/December. Probably around the same time the Love Live Movie came out last year. Either way, prepare tissues, we’re in for a ride.

“Please don’t split heaven in two”

1 Like