Planetarian - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

In July ? Like Charlotte.
And 1 day before my Birthday, the trad’ come the 8, the anime start the same day of me…
Excellent.

Now, I’m Hyped.

Yeah preety much.

Just flicking through the novel to double check some details…

Adding to what I mentioned on the other thread…
Notice how the in preview the Junker didn’t use the door to get into the department store and climbed through the window?
In the novel it mentions how some doors have proximity mines attached to them, as well as a bit of flavour text about the auto-drones. (The animated drones are kind of hedgehog’esque as well)

Very nice to see how all of this was included in the animated introduction sequence, almost exactly to a t!

4 Likes

If I went through the visual novel again I feel I could nit pick a ton about the animation vs VN.

Here is a big one. The Junker does not lose his backpack in the VN because it has the spare rain coat that Yumemi later wears in it! Also it looks like he had lots of packs of rations/heatpacks/bandages in his bag which goes against the VN when he counts out what he has in his bag.

One you can see on the Steam store page is the scene with his grenade launcher which is green in the VN compared to the traditional M79 he has in the animation.

The Junker wears urban camouflage in the VN by his description, which is insulated against the thermal visions of the drones but as we see in the animation, they can see Junker without it.
In the visual novel, Junker covers his face with streaks of mud to further combat the thermal vision of the drones which he does not do in the animation. (Unnecessary because they have changed the intro into a combat scene)

In the battle with the fiddler crab in the VN, the fiddler crab does not use it’s main cannon (rail gun?) against the Junker when he is in the building like it does in the PV, it fires its machine guns.

Some quick details/notes from the visual novel can be found on the glossary on this page

5 Likes

I mean, as long as this is intended as a contrast rather than a criticism…

Can’t make any guarantees, but if you upload something there’s a good chance someone will bother to dissect info from it! Don’t wait around for our permission :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

FUNimation announced a simulcast for planetarian: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/748639450146668545 (no date or time given)

4 Likes

Now that’s actually good news, as TV shows like Rewrite are guaranteed to spread around the Internet while Internet OVAs may not be so lucky.

1 Like

Does that mean I’ll be able to watch it in Europe?

No, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Depends where in Europe. If you’re in the UK or Ireland probably since there’s no “*” indicating US/Canada only on the site. If you aren’t FUNimation doesn’t provide but someone else might pick it up.

What about nico nico douga itself?

I’m not sure if that’s region locked since some stuff is and some isn’t but it probably doesn’t have subtitles.

Probably?

The stream is intended for Japanese audiences so I don’t think they’d have English subtitles. I don’t know for sure so I didn’t want to say the didn’t.

Niconico most definitely does not have subtitles and is most definitely japan-only. I guess you could get a VPN if you wanted, but you could do the ssme for funimation

1 Like

Planetarian will premier on FUNimation Friday July 8 @ 12:30 AM ET (4:30 AM UTC) http://www.funimation.com/p/summer

1 Like

I just discovered that they’ve added comments from the original staff!
Does anyone think they could translate Suzumoto’s comment? The machine translation is gibberish

涼元悠一
よもや映像化とは! それも色々びっくりの陣容&内容で! というのが偽らざる気持ちです。
ささやかに始まり、ややこしくも息長く続いてきた「planetarian ~ちいさなほしのゆめ~」、
きっかけを作った者としてまさに感無量です。
主人公なのに長らく容姿が不明だった屑屋、粗忽なヒロインほしのゆめみをはじめ、
止まない雨が降る世界に『生きる』ものたちがどう動くのか、今からそわそわ、わくわくしています。

Daisuki will also stream planetarian through their new premium service. Beta is only in North America though they plan on launching it in other regions http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-03/daisuki-to-launch-premium-membership-to-offer-simulcasts-older-anime-titles/.103932

2 Likes

"New" CM

6 Likes