Planetarian Anime - Episode 4 "Drunk with Alcohol"

Discussion topic for the fourth episode of the planetarian ~Chiisana Hoshi no Yume~ anime which aired on July 28, 2016. All references to outside works and future episodes must be marked with a [spoiler] tag.

You can catch the series on Funimation’s website in North America.

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

this episode is beautiful. I loved every single detail in it. I’m having a little problem with it though, they didn’t really show us how hard it is for the Junker to drag Yumemi with him, it almost felt like the were just walking with no problems. but other than that the episode was well made, and I could get the feelings in the dialogs… that was really awesome.
I wonder though what are they going to animate next episode, I mean after the junker used his weapon the story ended shortly after, if they are going to animate the last scene I believe it wouldn’t take 13 mins, so will they animate something new?
anyways I’m really excited for next week’s episode… REALLY EXCITED

3 Likes

THE FUCKING ED

Junker was pretty hot wielding his rifle.

2 Likes

Seriously, fuck Twinkle Starlight, ruining an otherwise perfect episode. I got chills.

The Junker thinks about what Yumemi and him can do in the future. Building a small projector for her while they travel the world and show the projector and stars to what’s left of the human race, and he seems happy about it. The anime definitely portrays a more caring-version of the Junker.

This episode was a 5/5 for me. The music was places beautifully. And even though I know how the story goes, I still got chills. Definitely, my favorite episode so far.

I can already see the complaints for the ED playing afterwards. But it’s pretty much better than something like the Charlotte ED or CLANNAD ~ After Story ED playing after a serious scene. But I would have liked something like Worlds Pain to play too, seeing as they could have used it. It’s fine though.

The more you watch Planetarian episodes over and over again, the more you realize how depressing everything is. The setting, the characters, the world, the thoughts, the idea’s, the story, and definitely, the emotions. I love how episode 4 portrayed this for the characters (specifically the Junker), very well. You can tell he doesn’t want to leave Yumemi. You can tell that he cares for her with all his heart. You can tell he’s also lonely, and can feel her loneliness.

Episode 5 is out next week. I’m guessing we’ll hear World’s Pain in that episode (most likely near the beginning, from where episode 4 left off at). For the final episode, David Productions, please do that episode some justice. Will definitely be beautiful. And I’m wondering if Gentle Gena (either vocal or not) will be playing as the ED for episode 5. If it is, it’ll definitely be beautiful, and a great closure song.

Still a beatiful episode as usual. If they don’t mess the next episode, I’ll definitly call it the best Key anime… No, the best anime adaptation of a Visual Novel (although this is more of a Kinetic Novel but… Who cares?)!!
Yumemi is so cute tripping every time they start walking :heart:
The Junker is so hot :heart:
Am I the only one who found the way the gunshot was fired was pretty weird?
Dat timing of the ED!! Good job at ruining the mood!
Anyway, guys, prepare your tissues next week! Feels train coming!
(Interesting summer for anime watchers, it released the best and the worst Key anime… Nice.)

Chills.

Talk about intense. I really loved how they handled his thoughts about how to bring her with him, all while he’s looking down the barrel of his gun.

I wonder how they’re going to handle the next episode, and how long it will be…

In any case, I’m really, really looking forward to it. Not sure my heart is, though. :komue:

This series has been absolutely exceptional so far. Probably the single best VN adaptation I’ve ever seen.

That Torch ending though. It hurts.

I hated it too, when I first heard it. Then I saw it in the first episode, and now I love it. It didn’t really work in this particular episode, but overall, I think it works just fine.

Ahhh, I love dialogue like this.
This would otherwise be another sarcastic comment, standard of Junker, but it says so much about his character and his experiences up to this point.

He feels like everything he has seen has been some inebriated illusion because it seems to good to be true. As if the whole experience has been some drunken fantasy that couldn’t possibly take place under any normal circumstances, because of his state of affairs, because the state of the goddamn world, because of everything we’ve seen thus far.

I’m pretty sure this line wasn’t in the novel, but even if it was, this is soooo captivating. Oozes characterisation and world building. So much power and emotion behind what is otherwise an emotionless delivered line of dialogue.

Also the CG and the particle effects on the Fiddler Crab… Kreygasm.

1 Like

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do an adaptation. Hopefully more studios can follow suit.

I will agree with others that this is the best Key adaptation around, but let’s think about why that’s the case. I’d argue it doesn’t have to do with better staff or better direction. Rather, this is built for success. planetarian is a 4 hour visual novel with no branching paths. All you have to do is cut a couple of lines out and animate it. It doesn’t face any of the same challenges and limitations that other VN adaptations do, so it isn’t fair to compare this to other VN adaptations.

This happened in the VN too, it was a very defining moment.

But yeah, this ED would’ve been the perfect place to drop World’s Pain, I can’t think of anywhere in the next episode it would really fit…

4 Likes

Just to point it out, there is no 90 second(TV size) version of World’s Pain on the album.

Personally I don’t think any ED would mesh with a cliffhanger like that. Twinkle Starlight at least has a very long intro to smooth out the transition. I’m also willing to bet that the unsung hero of this story is budget management. The ED isn’t very fancy looking, but the resources that could have gone to a better looking ED probably went to everything else.

Anybody notice going from the VN to the anime just what a different feel the episode had to its corresponding chapters? It really felt lonely, private…I felt really melancholy over the whole thing.

Nobody doubts that planetarian would be very easy to adapt, and yeah, it shows.

But, at the same time, the staff has made certain direction choices that, frankly, make it so much more immerse. Things like showing yumemi’s eyes, or her HUD, are things that not only make this a good adaptation, but an excellent one, overall

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s little changes that do it for me, like what I just said about the music direction and how it really strongly got a feel across.

They’re all little adjustments that invoke what you would need to read and envision yourself otherwise, and evoking those subtly and succinctly are what make this as an adaptation for me personally,

I truly loved this episode and I think david production is doing very well animating the series so far. To go into detail, I was so struck at how the Junker portrayed his concern over Yumemi knowing that everything around her is not the same world as it used to be. The scenery itself gives out a depressing situation that they are both facing and how they need to try to survive of what awaits them. This episode really delivered a lot of emotions within me and I can say that this going rather smoothly for the length of the series.

The characters, the music, and the setting is just an amazement to me in watching and enjoying each and every episode that I come to appreciate. I do agree that Twinkle Starlight should have not been used in this serious situation as some have pointed out, but since the song Worlds Pain haven’t been used yet, it’ll probably be used by the last episode.

I felt heartbroken when the Junker told Yumemi that she needed to realize that there is no one in the city, everything has been destroyed, and that there is no more power left to sustain the planetarium. The times that the Junker and Yumemi had spent together when he thought that she was an annoyance to him, I know that he really does care about her and I think that’s why they wanted to show that flashback about his comrade telling him that he should not talk to her. I also felt those same chills concerning what the Junker was thinking during the time he’s about to fight the Fiddler Crab at the end where one day that Yumemi would travel along with him in spreading the message about the stars to everyone.

I can’t wait to see the last episode, although I know the feels will be coming shortly so I can’t say I’ll be prepared for it.

1 Like

I think this episode was very well done, particularly the voice acting and music. The Junker’s dreams for the future are well presented as being ideal and slightly delusional as well as being the source of his resolve to move forward. Yumemi’s reactions to and misunderstanding of the environment emphasize how she is an artifact of the past that can’t comprehend the present, and the way the Junker explains things in a state she can understand further shows how much he cares for her.

I enjoyed the different versions of “Song of Circling Stars” used in this episode, and the new track that backed the Junker’s internal monologue at the end really brought me into the story.

TORCH-esque ED placement aside, this episode was absolutely fantastic.

I’d even go so far as to say that it actually handled this particular part of planetarian so well that it actually felt better than in the original VN. It had a bit more of a melancholy feel to it, and they placed a bit more emphasis on the junkers thoughts about Yumemi compared to his paranoia as a junker than in the source.

There was one really weird cut - just before the junker goes to “hunt” the fiddler crab, the transition from him saying he’s off to hunt the crab to suddenly asking Yumemi what she’ll do after he leaves felt a little off. I’m not really sure how to exactly describe it, but I doubt that I’m the only one that felt the transition was just a little poorly done…

But otherwise, this was excellent.

1 Like

OH MY GOD SHE WAS SO HOT KYAAAAAA

No I’m not talking about Yumemi.

3 Likes