Planetarian Anime - Episode 2 “Repairing the Projector”

Discussion topic for the second episode of the planetarian ~Chiisana Hoshi no Yume~ anime which aired on July 14, 2016. All references to outside works and future episodes must be marked with a [spoiler] tag.

You can catch the series on Funimation’s website in North America.

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

I’m guess the runtime is gonna be a hot topic here. Honestly, planetarian doesn’t have enough material for 5 episodes. With what is coming up, I’d say it’s for the best to end the episode where it ended. With that established, you can argue that the repairs could have been stretched, but do people really want to watch the Junker polish mirrors for 10 more minutes?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t really care for the junker polishing mirrors for another 10 minutes, but I wouldn’t mind Yumemi handing him random tools for another 5 minutes :^)

All that said, while the short length made me sad, I was quite satisfied with what they animated and how they chose to show everything in this episode. It was quite a nice touch how Yumemi showed a projection of her discussion with the planetarium staff about the existence of robot heaven.

I would assume that for episode 3, we’ll be shown the planetarium presentation, and the episode will end as they are about to leave the planetarium.

4 Likes

OP says first episode, @HeliosAlpha

I totally agree, Planetarian didn’t have much content to animate to begin with, yet they are presenting the VN without adding or removing anything. It has the same atmosphere of the VN which is really great.

The episode itself was great in my opinion. However I also think that people who didn’t play the VN should wait until it’s finished airing. The content so far won’t attract new fans to Planetarian. I know that by the end of the last episode it’ll be great to marathon it, but as a person who played the VN I still find myself excited to watch it weekly.

2 Likes

OH MY GOD---- My hearts feel so warm watching this…why Key why you do this to me-----shipping party MODE ON----SCREENSHOOT TAIMU :smiley:

MR JUNKER STARTING TO SMILE MORE THAN BEFORE----aahhh you must be fall in love to that beautiful android sir…I know you want to feel love too…because you haven’t seen human woman for this entire time—but it’s forbidden sir----it’s no good

I can’t resist Yumemi’s egao—I am melt…

Ahhhh music&graphic I love everything from planetariannn

Also I forget about this conversations in the original game—is this ever happened? Aww yumemi you also have this setting huh ^////^

And excusme—let me squeal and fangirling to this pic for a while UWAAAHHH ////// MR. JUNKER-SAN YOU’RE HOT

4 Likes

Junker is still hot.

5 Likes

I was pretty surprised at first to see Planetarian having five (or was it six?) episodes but almost each one is 10 minutes long so it’s pretty understandable.
Anyway, here’s my opinion on this episode:
AMAZING!!! すごい!! SUBLIME!! رائع!! Yumemi-chan! You make me wanna hug you and kiss you and snuggle up to you all day and night and yes I’m a girl and no I’m an hetero. You’re just waaaay too cute and adorable. OMFG I just love you Yumemi-chaaaan!!! Y u no exist IRL?! And Okyaku-sama is just sooooooooo freaking handsome!!
Anyway, leaving all these fangirling comments aside, this Planetarian episode was really nice and enjoyable. I still have a hard time getting used to Yumemi’s new face but it doesn’t bother me as much as before. I even find it really cute actually. So, the pace is pretty smooth but the repairs are already completed by the end of episode 2?! That’s like getting at about half the KN, isn’t it? But it makes sense if they do it like that and with all the events left in Planetarian, I can pretty much tell what’s about to happen in each and every episode left. And well… Actually, there’s not much to tell about this one episode except for the fact that it was good and that Yumemi’s just waaaay too adorable but that’s not only about this episode, isn’t it ?

@Ekalina going full-on shipper mode, eh? :wink:

Surprisingly not! Now we know Yumemi can be used as a powerbank :smiley: An essential accessory for Pokemon Go :wink:

3 Likes

I’m finding it hard to say anything that hasn’t been said before :yahaha:

I had zero issues with this episode, yet again. A couple things I’d like to see, however, are the Junker contemplating death, and his thoughts about how it might not be too bad to die in the planetarium. Also his seemingly desperate thoughts on how he could bring Yumemi with him on his travels. (If I remember those parts correctly)

Anyway, bring on episode 3!

Yes—so please bear it and hang on…let me fangirl every weeks…and commenting these two…

1 Like

The light bulbs seen from within Miss Jena are so pretty and the attention to detail and 3Ds when Junker looks at them is spot on. Animating the repairs/polishing scene has made it much easier to understand, its not everyday you get to see the how planetarium projectors work (Unless you work with them), I’d personally love to learn more about them. Her hologram feature (VN, spoilers) being introduced already felt a bit strange but made explaining her “God of robots” experience much easier than the imagery used in the VN and will probably make the hologram feature a bit more believable than conveniently bringing it out during the last episode/scene but Yumemi seems less worried about her power supply here.

This episode felt a bit rushed but short and sweet works just fine here.

1 Like

I think the episode played rather smoothly and it was nice having some of the scenes adapted from the VN repairing Miss Jena to the part where Yumemi asked about her asking about the god she should pray to. Yumemi is just so adorably cute and her smile is very lovely as well. :blush: Did anyone notice the piano arrangement of “Hoshi no Sekai” earlier? Also, it looked like the Junker was filtering the water from the Rain so he would be able to survive in the city. Would it have been possible to rid of those toxins that he used in the container? Yumemi looks like she feels at peace when her sleeping mode is activated and although she is a robot, they still kept that scene as it was very memorable to me. Although the episode was short, I think it was really an overall sweet episode and I always loved how each episode reminds me of why the planetarium is a place where people are able to come together and view the night sky and see how wonderful and awe-inspiring it can be.

I was actually wondering about this. Since the rain is supposedly toxic, how is he able to even drink that rainwater? Ah well, fridge logic.

In the VN it was suggested that he had a filter he attached to the top of his canteen that made the rainwater it siphoned drinkable.

I guess they might have been trying to imply that here as well, although so far I don’t think the anime has actually mentioned the rain being toxic. The Junker hasn’t asked Yumemi about her waterproofing and he doesn’t put his cloak on when he goes outside, so they might just be skipping over the acid rain detail as a whole. This is actually my…least favorite thing about the adaptation so far, as I feel like it detracts from some of the hopelessness that exists outside the planetarium.

Ignoring that, once again I felt like the episode did a very solid job of adapting the source to anime form. It’s hitting all the high points of the VN correctly for me, which is leaving me really excited for the projection.

2 Likes

I just realized that this scene would have been the perfect and most slick way of referencing “Harmonia”.

Anyways. Great episode, nonetheless. Quite interesting that she could only function 1 week per year. I think I’ve forgotten about that in the original (if it was in there).

Not much happens. But I’ve grown fond of both Yumemi, and the Junker, which was something the VN itself didn’t do for me, early in the story.

Kinda sad knowing that there’s only 3 episodes left. And a movie of course.

And I know we’re only 2 episodes in, but I’m happy that they did the Planetarian OST’s some justice. The rearrangements of them are quite beautiful and fitting.