Owari no Hoshi no Love Song Extra. Kimi no Airplane (Your Airplane)

Discussion topic for the bonus track of Owari no Hoshi no Love Song: Kimi no Airplane (Your Airplane). This song was not included in the Owari no Hoshi no Love Song album, but instead in the Flaming June single release ‘Killer Song’. You can also purchase it as a single off itunes here. You can find a translation of the lyrics on ShiraneHito’s blog.
Please tag references to later songs or outside works with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

What would you rate this song?

0 voters

So this is an interesting song due to this single line from the second to last stanza.

戻ってこれない燃料を詰めて

It means like “[ ] loaded fuel to not be able to come back.” I don’t know, it doesn’t really match with the previous line. If we rearrange the stanza to “でももうきみは 戻ってこれない燃料を詰めて 飛び立った後だった” we have a more normal sentence. This reads “But it was already after you had loaded enough fuel to not come back and flown away.” This line really sounds like this person willingly abandoned the narrator. That sure is a twist when we don’t have any other information about this character.

With that in mind, this becomes a very sad story about someone who was discarded yet they still wish for that other person to come back. The world is also shit just because.

1 Like

Not much I can reqlly glean from this song. It’s quite basic, really. About a person who left the singer in order to make both their lives better. At least, that is what is implied. Whether or not they left without intending to come back, as @HeliosAlpha mentioned, is up to interpretation…

Not too fond of the slowness of the song, though. I like ballads but this is much too slow for my taste :sad:

Well this certainly feels like it’s set in the post-apocalyptic world depicted in Owari no Sekai Kara.

Seems to me like the man set out on a journey to change the world, as implied by his desire to ‘rip the thick dense cloud away’. For some reason he didn’t want to or couldn’t take the woman with him, so he left her behind. A long, long time has passed since he left, and now the woman sees something like a bird or a plane as a nostalgic scene, hoping in her heart that it was his airplane. But it seems like a defeatist sort of hope. She has already accepted that she will never see him again, perhaps that he’s even dead. She hopes he’s still out there, but she’s already accepted that they’ll never meet again. I guess that’s why she wishes that she could’ve joined him, so she wouldn’t have to suffer this pain.

I’m curious what people think about the ‘winter constellations’ part though, not sure what to make of that.

I like this song a lot, but I don’t have much to say about it. I spent about 2 weeks of January obsessed with song actually, I found it really calming and the kind of heartening during some stressful situations I had to deal with.

I wonder if it means particularly important? Winter constellations are used for navigation so fit in with the almost steampunk-esque imagry of having an “airplane” in the “closed world” they also double as being famously beautiful and having someone teach you about them kind of has romantic overtone that adds to how one perceives the singer’s feelings.

1 Like

It really sounds like the sky is permanently covered in clouds though. If they don’t get sunlight, they wouldn’t have starlight.

Well, it is about how she would have liked to learn about the constellations from him, so either it would happen after he “ripped away” the clouds or it would be something they enjoyed from above the dark clouds in the airplane.

1 Like

Just posting before I forget, as mentioned back in Kooridokei, this track has a previous version released in 2003, with different lyrics:

This song was previously published in C65 此/彼/方 コナタ/カナタ | Konata Kanata, an album by Spice Ghost, a doujin group which is collaboration between Rei Izumi | イズミレイ, Yuu Hagiwara | 萩原ゆう and Jun Maeda under the alias 准. This album is so very rare, you’ll probably won’t find it anywhere unless you’re lucky and find one available in auction. And, in this album you’ll find a song with an identical melody with FlamingJune - きみのairplane | Kimi no airplane.

And here it is:

The lyrics have never been translated, and the scans from the download I found were not legible, so any translation would have to be done by listening, which I assume might not work for some words? (or we would have to obtain the album somehow somewhere, it seems impossible to do)
Someone should so give translating it a go. It would be very interesting.

See that explains why it’s not on the album proper I’d say, because it’s not an original composition.
Also that version is so much better than Kimi no Airplane is

So I don’t really like this song. It doesn’t fit the album. Which makes sense now I know it’s not original.

I’m not saying Owari no Hoshi doesn’t have slow songs, it does, but I feel like they all have a sense of lively energy to them that Kimi no Airplane lacks.

I’m also more with Helios than Aspi on this one, I feel like the narrator was dumped by Mr. Plane man who had no interest on seeing her again.

1 Like