Owari no Hoshi no Love Song 9. Yuki no Furanai Hoshi (A Planet With No Snow)

Discussion topic for Track 9 of Owari no Hoshi no Love Song: Yuki no Furanai Hoshi (A Planet With No Snow). Please support the official release by purchasing the album from iTunes! You can find a translation of the lyrics on ShiraneHito’s blog.
Please tag references to later songs or outside works with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

What would you rate this song?

0 voters

This feels like something that could’ve been included in the original Love Song. Similar to Bokura no Koi, it has the semblance of a story, but we can’t really say what’s going on. This song feels like it’a about denial and that feeling that everything is perfect when you’ve just gotten together with someone. We’re told right away that something is ending, but three winters seemingly pass until the song ends by reminding us again that it really is the end. There’s constantly a mixture of time’s passing and stagnation: it’s really contradictory. If this was the original, I’d say it definitely was referring to their relationship, but here it’s also possible they’re simply about to die a fiery death in a mushroom cloud or something. Haha, thanks Maeda.

Another thing, Killer Song and Kimi no Airplane both mention how the weather is screwed up. This song can be taken as showing that the season of winter is no more. Sure, the guy in Futari Dake no Ark freezes to death, but he was climbing Mount Everest for god’s sake.

2 Likes

Man this is such a sad song after thinking about it a bit :sad:
Yeah, this song feels a lot more Love Song-ish. Lots left open to interpretation! At first, I thought the song was referring to their relationship. It sounded as if they had something over their first few years; maybe the passion of romance or whatever. But as the winters passed, they realized that this slowly disappeared. However, despite this, they couldn’t let go of each other. Maybe because they grew dependent of each other? Either way, they continued to be with each other despite this missing thing in their relationship.

And after thinking about it… what if that missing thing was actually a child? And the snowman could have referred to that child. A child that was slowly dying. By the last winter, the child was already gone, and what held together their family just simply disappeared. And they continued just being together after that.

I think either case works well. And both cases are just sad :sad:

3 Likes

Man you guys are doing some good shit. I’ve always not thought much of this song, I’m not a huge fan of how it sounds and I cannot for the life of me connect it to the ruined world in any way at all, I was always of the mind that it was pre-ruination and the ‘end’ was their deaths during it’s forming. I never gave it a ‘Love Song’ analysis.

1 Like

I never think the song would be this sad.

This entire album needs an anime, really.

Also, yana really great in portraying this song.

I really like this theory. It makes a lot of sense, in terms of the song and the album.

The snowman could also represent their love (then again, a baby represents love between two people. Arrg @pepe you are a genius)

“We snuggled with each other, we hurt each other” ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) seems to describe the baby making process. If they had a child here, then the rest of the lines would be about the slow death of the child.

“Even I found your selfishness and your crybaby self irreplaceable” could be the singer’s view of their partner towards the end of the song. If their love had been fading away up until this point, then it would be reasonable to think this if they were trying to make their relationship work. It could also be the singer speaking about the baby, and how they even loved the baby’s flaws.

Ironic that oranges, a symbol of health and longevity, are present in the picture.

2 Likes

This song sounds like a familiar ballad (I was thinking 80’s ballad but I don’t know my genres enough to say for sure XD), but if the song meant to evoke some sort of quiet nostalgia, this strongly works. Also, I like familiar ballads. Ballad music is my type of thing.

You guys made some very interesting interpretations for the song, but as I was reading the lyrics, I can’t help but be reminded of Yami no Kanata e, except there’s a snowman. As a reference…

Interestingly, this is much different from others’ interpretations. ._.