Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

Just last week, I watched a play which discussed about the role of music in social change, in particular Kundiman. It’s a style of art song that emerged in the Philippines during the 1800’s, usually romantic in theme but can be interpreted as patriotic. In a way you can call it the country’s own take of Western classical music.

One thing I realized from this play, among many things, is that Kundiman songs gave me the most amount of goosebumps from music, which says a lot. I’d like to share some of the songs they featured which I can still recall:

“I Beg You”

“Where are You, My Love?”

“Beautiful Star”

“Muse of Pasig”

This one wasn’t in the play, but something I heard from someone’s recital last semester. One of the more obscure renditions of Ave Maria, but it’s very lovely. 11/10 gave me goosebumps akjsfkjdhsg

I really should start listening to '80s music. Those songs are constantly used in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and the one used in their first scene in Infinity War is catchy as hell.

1 Like

Still in love with Daoko and Uchiage Hanabi.
Just listened to this cover now and it’s great.

Goose House’s cover is really excellent too.

2 Likes

Imagine my surprise when I saw Epica covered the Attack on Titan song.

SMASH BROTHERS HYYYYYPE!!!

2 Likes

Not sure which thread to place this, but its not a KSL album, so…

I’ve been listening to NanosizeMir The Best album lately, and I need to say that, holy moly Runa Mizutani is amazing! She’s a really versatile singer who can perform in a surprisingly wide variety of genres and styles, and she sings in high notes that rarely sounds grating to the ears (except for this version of Philosophyz, for some reason). She’s a really underrated singer who needs to get more attention than she has right now.

Yuuichiro Tsukagoshi turned out to be less consistent for me, and seems to me to be most of the reason why I enjoyed Disc 1 much more than Disc 2. Disc 1 had more of his pop and pop rock tracks along the lines of his Yami no Kanata e, while Disc 2 mostly has EDM tracks (like Todoketai Melody, which he arranged) and Mizutani’s Rewrite songs. The thing is, I really like his pop and pop rock tracks, but I couldn’t get into any of his EDMs. Probably because I’m not that huge a fan of EDM in general, but I simply wasn’t able to enjoy them as much as I wanted to. His EDM arrange for Philosophyz didn’t do it to me, as well. The other two Rewrite arranges, which are still stylistically similar from the Disc 1 tracks, I really like, especially Yami no Kanata e.

Anyway, I think my favorite song from the album ended up being Parapappa Gendai, which is really fun and energetic and sounds like an opening theme song for a sports anime. I also really digged Aozora no Kioku, which also had a dude (Tsukagoshi probably?) sing with Mizutani, and it’s nice. Even if I didn’t enjoy Disc 2 as much, Ganbare Onii-chan is really cute haha.

…I’m honestly curious about the lyrics :'D

Anyone else who’s a fan of ChouCho here?

New to me, a real life GlDeMo! I like it…

Feels. Caribou - Back Home

Found a synthpop band from the 80’s called Yazoo. They’re interesting.

1 Like

Their best known song here

Went to my first ever concert on Friday for Taylor Swift performing and Charlie xcx and Camila Cabello opening so in the mood to share their music.
Pics of the concert

So much variety in this thread, maybe I’m playing it too safe with this choice but it’s something that I’ve only experienced in recent memory so I’d love to give my thoughts on it.

If you follow anime and manga stuff to any degree you have probably heard the name Made in Abyss tossed around a lot, and one of the driving factors that swoons a lot of people into this series and locks them into the atmosphere is the soundtrack.

For those who don’t know, the soudtrack for this series was composed by Kevin Penkin. He is more or less an indie composer with a degree and currently not much more. One fascinating thing about him having been chosen to compose this series is that he is based in the UK. His style prominently displays characteristics of hauntingly atmospheric instrumentals and an airy feel. This probably resulted due to his inspiration for becoming a composer in the first plce, which was Metroid Prime.

The soundtrack was recorded at the Synchron Stage in Vienna, which you can also thank for some of your favorite film soundtracks. Some of the artists that have recorded sessions here include Hans Zimmer of Lion King fame and Thomas Newton Howard who can be credited for the astounding scores of Treasure Planet and Atlantis.

So, what makes this soundtrack so special and why should you care? There are a lot of truly mind-blowing soundtracks attached to this genre of storytelling, so why give it your time. Well, quite simply the music for this series carries the same artistic characteristics that kept audiences glued to the screen dring the story itself. It retains a beautiful synergy from one point to the next while displaying an absolutely brilliant contrast that truly makes the music feel live and dynamic.

This is a soundtrack written by somebody who was genuinely fascinated by what it is they were composing for and who wanted to see their feelings resonate within the production. Which he achieved by doing only what I could describe as “abstract Mickey-Mousing”, Mickey-Mousing being an animation term for a scene where a soundtrack drives the animation. But you could tell what was happening just by the vivid imagery his instruments provided. Which, combined with the use of call and response in tracks like Beni-Kuchu-Nawa, absolutely left me floored.

My personal track reccomendations for examples of the techniques I describe here would be the following:

Made in Abyss - Example of his use of vivid imagery through instrumentation, you can hear the string sections form brilliant strands of garland that fall slowly into the abyss, while afterwards the wishes and prayers of those they’re leaving behind follow them.

Beni-Kuchi-Nawa - As mentioned this is my go-to for his call and response, the way that the strings call for help andthe piano responds boldly as to say “you’re cornered” is like nothing else.

Underground River (Opening Version) ft. Raj Ramayya - This I would only reccomend after having seen the the anime, while it is one of my absolute favorite tracks in the series it holds an extremely prominent role in the initial worldbuilding and I would reccomend instead just watching the first episode, as you encounter it not too far in

Lastly for those really curious of the Metroid Prime influence I would say to give Nanachi in The Dark a shot.

I haven’t found any official YouTube stuff for any of these but know Spotify carries the entire OST. So do perhaps give a listen to some of this, and if you haven’t seen the series I wholeheartedly suggest you do (if you aren’t faint of heart, it gets quite graphic).

1 Like

Recently, I rediscovered a band I used to listen to: The Megas. They’re a band that’s based on the Mega Man series. This is the first song of theirs I ever listened to, titled The Message from Dr. Light.

Well I’ve been in a bit of a bad mood with some of the artists I follow recently. The good news is that Eir Aoi’s single did pretty fine saleswise. The bad news is that unfortunately, Konomi’s new single didn’t: it only ranked at #68 on Oricon and didn’t do very well on Billboard Japan either (it only ranked in the Hot Singles chart but not the others), which probably means its sales were mostly CD and not digital. The sales so far were about 1,200 CDs sold, which isn’t great even for anison. Kind of bummed out since I like the song, but I wasn’t totally surprised given the poor reception and unpopularity of the anime it was made for (Sora to Umi no Aida). Hopefully she’ll have better luck next time since her three previous releases also didn’t sell very well.

I love Post-Rock and Indie but, in the most, I just keep re-listening to some of the OSTs from the VNs or animes that I have watched (or read). Anyway, thought I should share some random music I listen to.

And some OST:

2 Likes

Been listening to a lot of carpentur brut lately:

1 Like

This guy knows what’s up.

While you’re at it I may as well ask if you listen to other similar artists like Kavinsky or Perturbator, cause they’re quite amazing as well

1 Like

:umu: I will give them a go.

Also, dance with the dead has made good stuff.

Found this live version of “Obstacles” in YouTube. I’m pretty amazed at how good this thing is (specially the implementation of the trumpet later on in the music).