One Punch Man Series Discussion

With the permission of S-Rank Kaza Hero @Aspirety, I give you the series discussion of one of my favorite shonen manga and anime series, One Punch Man! Feel free to discuss anything from either the manga or anime, but make sure to mark any references to events in the manga past the events of episode 12 of the anime with the [spoiler] tag. We’re all waiting for Season 2, so it’s best to keep all the suspense under wraps, 'kay? :wink:

I watched this anime a few months back at the behest of my younger siblings, and I loved every second of it. Saitama’s antics are hilarious to watch and the rest of the characters are enjoyable in their own way. The action is intense and well-animated, and the music is, for lack of a better term, ‘insolutely abspirational.’ It’s a technically-impressive and well-written show, deconstructing not only the shonen genre but also the superhero genre, while paying homage to both at the same time. It reminds me a lot of another set of superhero stories I grew up with (anyone heard of Captain Underpants?) as well as the poorly-written stick-figure comics I made portraying myself as a superhero.

…I digress. What do you guys (or girls) think of One Punch Man? Who is your favorite character? Who is your favorite villain? What is your favorite scene from the manga/anime? Please, enlighten me.

2 Likes

This series has a lot of interesting points that I just found myself wishing it explored better. It works well as a comedy to a point, but, once you hear the punchline enough it kinda just stops being that funny? The punchline is, Saitama beats everyone with one punch. No matter how strong or intimidating the enemy, they’ll all fall to Saitama’s punch. It’s pretty funny at first, but you can tell it was conceptualised as an online gag manga. It’s like, fun for a few pages, but then it gets old quick. So what do you do from there? You need something of substance to keep people coming back.

That’s when the story begins introducing lots of interesting concepts. Saitama is completely emotionally numb and devoid of empathy because nothing scares him. It’s so easy to solve everything with one punch that he cares more about what’s for dinner than the safety of the town. That’s interesting! But at least in what I’ve seen, it’s only been used for a couple of gags, and never explored deeper. Then we have the idea that Saitama finally becomes a registered hero, but he can’t get anywhere because people don’t believe in his power. That’s funny and interesting, and it culminates in the scenes where he decides to become a martyr and accept people’s hatred. Highlight of the series. But where do we go from there? Everyone hates Saitama, but Saitama will always save the day. The writing keeps running into roadblocks. The final arc of the anime saw Saitama fight against the strongest enemy in the universe, and of course, he’s able to defeat him with no trouble.

It bugs me that there’s no tension. We get scenes like the King of the Ocean (forget his name) slaughtering everyone, and it’s trying to make us feel the tension, but we all know the tension will be completely dispersed once Saitama arrives. The viewers, like Saitama, are unable to empathise with the characters and the world because of this. All we can use it as is something to laugh at, and even then, the same joke gets old after a while. It’s just, basing an entire story on this one unbreakable truth of “Saitama > X” doesn’t lend itself well to an ongoing series.

I haven’t read the manga yet, but I just don’t see where they can really go from here. If you want an interesting story in this world, you have to completely remove Saitama or take his power away or something. As things are now, the predictability of everything really feels, sad to me. Just makes me wanna read Index instead, which tackles similar ideas and themes in a much better way.

Also, dammit I can’t get behind the Munen Rider fandom. What’s the point of having guts if you’re just gonna get yourself killed in a pointless fight? It was pure luck that Saitama turned up at the right time. If you want to be a hero, but you lack power, at least make up for it with some brains. Know what fights to pick, and come in with a plan for victory. I’ve read heaps of awesome David vs. Goliath stories like this, but Munen rider is just, all talk. He’s wated potential! You can’t be a hero if you’re dead.

Sorry for giving such a negative rant to open this topic with, but it should generate some discussion at least!

You actually just took most of the words out of my mouth. I struggled through the first three episodes of One Punch Man, because most of the people I talk to could barely wait from week to week for the next episode, and after that I promptly dropped the series. It feels like to me the whole series was pitched as this idea of “Hey what if we had a series where the MC was so crazy overpowered no one could stop him?” and someone else said good idea lets go with that and that alone. The interesting thing to come from this for me is how people like to rag on characters like Kirito (Sword Art Online) that seemingly has plot armor a mile and a half thick, yet love the idea of Saitama who is basically Kirito turned to eleven in terms of power, and yes I know that’s not apples to apples, but its still amusing to me.

I guess the big thing is that One Punch Man actually has self-awareness, something Sword Art Online is so sorely lacking that I’m not even sure if it’s funny or sad anymore.

1 Like

For me tension is more “how much damage will occur before Saitama shows up?” than if Saitama can win. It’s the same thing with almost any hero movie. No one went into Deadpool or Ant Man expecting them to lose in the end.[quote=“Aspirety, post:2, topic:2551”]
I haven’t read the manga yet, but I just don’t see where they can really go from here.
[/quote]
Honestly the last arc I thought was above decent was the one after the anime ended. Popular opinion seems to say the anime ended at the last good arc and it’s been shit since.

Current arc has had a lot of focus on the other heroes (Mainly Metal Bat if you liked him). I can’t remember off the top of my head the last time Saitama actually did something .[quote=“Aspirety, post:2, topic:2551”]
I can’t get behind the Munen Rider fandom
[/quote]
I didn’t like him in the manga. His song in the anime made me more positive towards him but I agree.

I think @uppfinnarn is right. SAO (and other stuff like DBZ, Naturo, etc) play up “will our hero beat this super tough villain!?” often dragging it into a cliffhanger before they quickly (in terms of actual moves used not time wise) defeat this super strong opponent before the next arc has the same thing.

I had a lot of fun with One-Punch Man and started buying the manga. My opinion of the series is that the animation is hands down the biggest reason to watch it, but as a comedy it works well. Seriously, the fight scenes Drools
It is not the kind of show I would write a thesis on, but Saitama and Genos provide a nice setup for a lot of comedy, and the concept of the show is really accessible, so it has been easy to recommend to a wide audience.

Mumen Rider was my favorite character - I granted him Husbando status while I was watching the show; he is a little dorky, but is really honest, and tries hard.

I mean you are not wrong - fighting unwinnable fights is stupid. But he is doing it to protect innocent lives and buy stronger heroes time to show up. He is doing the best he can for the moment, even at the cost of his life. He is doing something stupid out of bravery and ideals, which I find appealing in a character, and totally different than characters who do something brave out of stupidity.

Yeah, I kind of don’t want a 2nd season. And I am expecting to drop the manga eventually. This is definitely a comedy with lifespan on the premise.

1 Like

I often refer to the series as “One Joke Man”.

I loved the manga and I love the anime so far, but I seriously recommend reading the webcomic to everyone. The silly drawings makes everything so funny you’ll have an amazing time reading through it.

However, the smooth animation and drawings of the show refreshed the series for me.

I’m gonna say this, because I see some of you guys really tried analyzing the series deeply: One punch man is a joke. And I don’t believe there is any hidden mystery or complicated conspiracy behind the plot. It’s simply the story of a normal guy who decides to become a hero and turns out to be too strong so he is disappointed by every challenge, period. I have seen a lot of theories about how Saitama would be a monster, like for instance the lobster man who became like that because he ate too much lobster. That theory said that saitama would be a training monster, and thats why his appearance changed and he became so strong. Unfortunately, I do not believe it to be true. Even though it is interesting, One punch man is, as far as I can tell a pretty straightforward satire. It’s really well done, don’t get me wrong, but I do not believe in any “hidden truth” we could read between the lines.

2 Likes

The anime serves as (at some level) an analysis of the notion of “heroism.” Each of the three main heroes represents an interpretation of “what it means to be a hero”:

1. Saitama — intensely powerful, has a good heart (but does it almost entirely for himself), but receives no recognition for his deeds. Essentially fights behind the scenes. We can call him “efficacy.”
  2. Genos — a public idol. Shown to be very powerful, but is completely unable to actually defeat any monsters. Renews interest and faith in the Hero Association. We can call him “image.”
  3. Mumen Rider — embodies the “spirit of the hero”: is completely useless in battle, but fights because he has to. “If I don’t fight you right now, then who will?” We can call him “spirit.”

How do “efficacy”, “image”, and “spirit” each embody heroism? Saitama can’t carry the hopes and dreams of the populace; Genos can’t actually finish off any monsters he engages; Mumen Rider is useless beyond having the “heart of the hero.”

On top of that, what does it say about the “heroes” that they need to be incentivized by promise of rank and popularity in order to save the day? Look at what’s-his-face at the peak of A-tier: he literally doesn’t do anything but is revered for his looks.

An aspect of the early episodes I really wish was fleshed out more was Saitama’s loneliness. I felt that could have been a really strong perspective to adopt for the show: what does it mean to “be at the peak?” Maybe we’ll see more of that in the future.

5 Likes

Honestly I thought that OPM was great/funny and original for the first 3 or so episodes, but after that I felt that them rehashing the same joke every episode kind of ruined it.[quote=“Aspirety, post:7, topic:2551, full:true”]
I often refer to the series as “One Joke Man”.
[/quote]
umu

Other than that, I ended up liking the characters that weren’t Saitama. Mumen Rider in particular stood out because even though he is weak, he has drive. Although he had no chance of winning, he got up again and again. This represented the resilience of human nature. It reminded me of all the times I tried to accomplish something but failed. And failure is learning. So if Mumen Rider doesn’t die, he might become a fine hero.
Also his speech ;_;.

For Genos, I found him most similar to a try-hard in school, someone who already has straight A’s but continues to stay up until 4am studying. Genos is already pretty good, as shown by him being an S rank hero, and yet he studies under Saitama to try to become the strongest. This can demonstrate two different ideals, someone who will stop at nothing to get ultimate power, or someone who knows they always have the chance to better themselves.

Would I watch a second season? Probably not. Maybe if Mumen Rider gets further development. OPM didn’t have a gripping plot, tension or even cliffhangers at the end of each episode. Furthermore, the comedy aspect got old. As a parody anime, it definitely mocks some of the tropes, like the extreme levels of fighting and destroying the whole city. However, it doesn’t take it to the same drastically hilarious extremes (like konosuba[but let’s not look too deeply into that]).

As a whole, it gives me the supreme feeling of “eh”.

3 Likes

OPM was a decent and fun comedy/action series. I haven’t read it, so I’ve only seen the anime, but I don’t really think it was really just a one-gag show.

Like, yeah, every episode basically ended with Saitama obliterating something with a single punch, and that particular gag got pretty old, but it wasn’t the only joke the show had. A lot of the action scenes were really cool and fun to watch as well.

Of course, it’s not one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. It’s certainly not an especially deep or meaningful show, and Saitama is quite literally impossible to relate to. Satirizing tropes doesn’t automatically make you intelligent, and OPM doesn’t implement satire in any especially unique way. But it was fun and I didn’t feel like it was using any one gag too often, save for the “lol Saitama onehits things” joke.

Anyways, my favorite character is Mumen Rider because he produced the only scene in the show that made me laugh so hard that I started crying. Others have mentioned that they interpreted his little battle against the Sea King as being some sort of situation intended to cause tension, but I thought it was the single most hilarious moment of the show. It’s so dramatic in such an absurd and over the top way, and that’s only compounded further when you just know Saitama is going to show up and obliterate the dude anyway.

2 Likes

Hey look, it’s the one joke the haters like to use.

One joke haters!

2 Likes