Love Live! School Idol Project Discussion

They’ve already disappointed me with that bland character design. I’ll try to keep my expectations low so I won’t be disappointed.

This AMV made me cry a little…

Who here is watching Love Live Sunshine? For the first episode, I was kinda meh about the whole thing but then by episode 2 it got progressively better and by episode 9 I can confidently say it’s going to be my anime of the season behind of course, Planetarian. What about you guys?

2 Likes

Enjoying it an extremely shameful amount. Every episode makes me so happy. The latest episode was especially extremely good. The logic in my mind says that the show is garbage but I fucking love love live.

Also been rewatching the original series with @Exenorate (his first time) and I’m finding more stuff to like about the show, and noticing that Sunshine does some things better.

4 Likes

My friend and I were just talking about how much better the characters are in Sunshine than the original. In the first a lot of them fit in tropes and didn’t expand past that. Maki is a tsundere, Hanayo is the shy one that loves idols, Rin is the tomboy, Honoka’s the ditzy lead, etc. In Sunshine while they still have basis in tropes they get more expanded. Yoshiko is an easy one to notice but others like say Dia expand past “acts like a hardass but isn’t really”.

I’ve also noticed the writing overall is higher quality. I can’t really think of anything in the first series on par with the emotions displayed in episodes 8 and 9. Chika’s seiyuu is amazing at conveying emotion in episodes 3 and 8 and (episode 9)Kanan and Mari’s during the fight were great too.

1 Like

I will never stop loving the original girls, but yeah, the development in Sunshine has been way more on track. My fiance never watched the original anime, and with how tight Sunshine has been I almost hesitate to show it to him.

2 Likes

As much as I like Love Live! Sunshine I still can’t feel any definite attachment to the characters as I did with the first cast.
I think I probably just need more time since one of the things that I liked a lot about the first cast was the VAs themselves

1 Like

Found this about the Aquors popularity polls

1 Like

You seems to be doing well like she should. Have no fucking idea how Kanan got so popular. She has so little screen time, and only 1 episode to shine.

Well the 1 episode to shine thing kind of applies to everyone? If not one they got two because it’s 9 girls in a 12 episode anime.
To each their own. The world is big enough for their to be something they like about Kanan that we don’t see.
Also something I heard about Idol Center Voting is that the a good amount of the Japanese voters will not vote for someone who got 1st recently so that everyone in the idol group will get their own time to shine.

I think Kanan’s popularity has more to do with the content for her outside of the anime - like in SIF and the magazine interviews. I know that I was into Hanamaru before the anime aired based on that material.

by that logic only Riko and Chika should be popular. As @kyuketsukimiyu pointed out it’s probably because of all the other content (the pre-release interviews are why I like Kanan so much) or because that 1 episode was probably the strongest in Sunshine!! so far.

1 Like

She is pretty cute tbh

1 Like

Who’s still watching LLSS Second Season? I have like no irl friends who watch it but I still love it. Also My Mai Tonight came out and I can’t stop listening to it it’s really damn good.

1 Like

I’m only 4 episodes in, because I decided to watch it with a friend who hadn’t seen season one, so we had to watch that first.
Really loving it so far. The budget is noticeably way higher, so much of the art is great, and every episode has been gooooood stufffffffffff
I really like Mai Tonight too actually. It definitely stood out for me so far.

1 Like

I’m watching LL SS S2. Can’t say I like it too much. I never really liked Aquors nearly as much as u’s, and I’m leaning onto saying that this season is probably the worst Love Live! Season of the four. It’s decent enough, but Love Live! Sunshine!! has no soul to it, and I can’t say I like the music very much.

I still have 2 episodes left to watch, but I am pretty sad with this season. I loved the first season of Sunshine, but I have been largely disappointed by this one. The drama in it is so much more forced and slapped together feeling. And things like the flying van in the searching for the star episode were just really random feeling and seemed to almost exist so it could be used on the last episode recap the following episode.

Thematically I think this season is good, and I have loved the music featured in it. I am still very much a Love Live! Sunshine!! fan, but I will be surprised if I have any real fondness for this season at the end.

2 Likes

The problem with this season is that they’re making everything far too cheesy to the point where it begins to feel stupid instead of being endearing like previous seasons. They’re also really fishing for meme material all the time. It’s why a lot of the character traits like Yohane’s name gag and Mari’s Engrish are way more exaggerated this time around.