Live Action Movie Discussion

Title is pretty self-explanatory. Let’s discuss movies that do not use animation!

Whether it be your favorite movie, the one that won the Oscar, the one that didn’t win the Oscar, or the one you watched last night and couldn’t wait to talk about.

And no unmarked spoilers! I do not want to hear “but it’s 10 years old, everyone who cared should have watched it by now.” Use [spoiler] at your own discretion.

1 Like

Having just finished Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2, I gotta say, as far as entertainment factor goes, this one is top-notch compared to the rest of the marvel cinematic universe. The unapologetic interaction between characters added for a great ride through all the action and suspense. Not gonna lie, they were able to portray Yondu as a pretty deep and well-developed character. not gonna lie, I got watery-eyed when they started shooting fireworks at his death. I felt that everything involving him built up to that final scene really well

Suffice to say I think it was a fun movie with a good message, and thus it comes with Pepe’s seal of approval

3 Likes

It has been some time since I have seen a Live Action movie, but I think my two favourites (love them for two VASTLY different reasons) of all time are Shawshank Redemption and Clockwork Orange. Definitely recommend those films to anyone who hasn’t seen it, even if tonally they are polar opposites.

Can we talk about La La Land please.

I dont think I need to say it but I will anyway: the music was stunning. So much so that I think it was able to completely distract from the somewhat disappointing narrative. It’s really saying something if I come out of a movie not completely satisfied yet still end up loving it to death just because the music is constantly in my head.

Anyways, its actually a pretty sad story, giving off somewhat lonely vibes, and they actually do some very cool narrative things with the music and lyrics. Also the title. I have my own theory about why it’s called La La Land, but I would really love to hear other people’s thoughts too.

No we cannot
Because I have not watched it yet

And I really really want to :sad:

1 Like

Actually in my opinion, one of the Guardians series’ biggest flaws is its attempt to include emotional scenes. Because of the nonstop comedic atmosphere that the movie sets up, emotional scenes like the one you mentioned are set up to fail. They’re always either right after a joke, or include jokes in them, and all of the “emotion” just ends up feeling fake or falling flat.

Side note: It’s also possible that Yondu’s death in particular didn’t work for me because I personally feel like I can never trust character deaths. Too many times in so many stories have we seen a character supposedly die, just to come back. Its almost like Im not willing to believe that the character is actually dead until the emotional parts have already passed, so it ends up not effecting me very much. This especially applies to a movie like this, where almost everything is a setup for a joke. Oh well.

I’ve been going through and watching some classic horror and thriller films so I think I’ll post some thoughts on a couple here, since I don’t have anyone to really talk to about this kind of thing.

Night of the Living Dead (1968): I realized while watching this just how much the zombie genre has changed. Now we mostly see stories that focus on the aftermath and you sometimes take for granted the events that take us from point A (zombie outbreak) to point B (post apocalyptic world). As the title betrays Night of the Living Dead takes place over the course of the first (and only) night of the zombie outbreak. I’ve never really been a fan of zombie movies but I enjoyed this one regardless because it was so different from what I saw “zombie movies” as. 7/10

The Wicker Man (1973)(Not the Nick Cage one): A bit odd but very enjoyable. It created a world that was able to capture my curiosity but before it wrapped up it also answered any lingering questions without being too overt about it. 8/10

Eraserhead (1977): VERY weird. Despite the effects being extremely dated and the film itself being in black and white I found myself kinda grossed out by some of the scenes, and I am not exactly faint of heart. I think this film largest strength is that its so uncanny. Everything about it is just slightly off. I had to look up the plot afterward to find out what its about but I found myself more creeped out by this one than anything else I’ve watched recently. 5/10 for the plot, 9/10 for the creep factor

Young Frankenstein (1974): Not really a horror film per say but more of a horror inspired comedy. This is from Mel Brooks, the creator of such films as Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and History of the World: Part One. A fact I wasn’t aware of until I saw the opening credits. I think this is my favorite Mel Brooks film so far, the comedic timing is really on point at the way the actors interact with one another is intentionally slightly awkward. I’d recommend this to just about anyone. I don’t remember this being as offensive as some of his other stuff too. 9/10

What do you mean not the Nick Cage Wicker Man? That one is totally the best version.

In seriousness, I am not really a horror fan, as most of the ones I have seen I can’t for the life of me take seriously (like Final Destination and Friday the 13th movies) and am generally a bit more chicken than I like to admit. However, of all the ones you listed, Young Frankenstein I have in fact watched and I concur that it is really funny. What I appreciated about the movie was that you didn’t even have to know much about the source material as to be able to enjoy the satire and humor. Mel Brooks was really talented in comedic timing as you mentioned but he also has his own sort of brand of humor. My personal favourite Brooks film is Spaceballs, but I have seldom disliked anything that I saw him do.

If you are curious for recommendations in the genre, here are a few Classic Horror films (if you haven’t already seen them) and fairly new ones that get high recommendations (will have links below for each one):

1 Like

The first three on your list I actually have already seen or are on my list, but my list is a bit sparse of movies from this millennium so I’ll add Drag me To Hell! Although I’m going in chronological order so it’ll be a while before I get to it. Thanks for the suggestion :yo:

I don’t watch many movies, but horror films are always easy to find when I’m at someone else’s house. Used to love Zombie flics, but HOTD kinda solved that and I haven’t cared for the genre since. Nowadays I prefer the 80-90’s slasher stuff because they’re funny, nostalgic, and easy to chill with. I think they’re why modern (western) horror ends up so cheesy…

Those modern horror films are great because they all have very basic titles and you can’t tell if they’re gonna be amazing or awful or amazingly awful. They all blend together in my mind because they’re so simple and similar, with only insane stuff like Antichrist staying memorable throughout the years.

When it comes to film, I don’t think too highly of Japanese horror. I love their techniques more than western ones, but overall they seem more suited to other mediums. Greats like Junji Ito (Manga author), World’s End Girlfriend (Musician), or Keiichiro Toyama (Video Game designer) capture real ugliness in ways that just don’t translate well to film. It seems like the 90’s horror films out of Japan are more rite of passage than entertainment, and those are the only ones widely regarded as good.
Gotta give it to them though, while the idea of linking beauty to horror is overdone, they do know how to make a beautiful killer. Sadako was one of my first crushes.

1 Like

The live action of BLEACH was actually much better than everyone thinks.
It was reminiscent of the original manga series