Little Busters! - Mio Nishizono Route & Character Discussion

I guess this is just your interpretation of the term since I genuinely think that one does not need to lose their individuality in order to assimilate into society :umu: when i say that, all i really mean is finish basic education, get a job, enough resources to pursue what they want from life, and being able to interact with other people in society to achieve all those things.

Pardon me for being a bit rude about it but uh…
I genuinely do not think a child at Mio’s age when she was diagnosed would be able to make a sound decision about how she wants to handle an entity such as Midori, let alone know the risks that keeping such an entity unchecked entails.
Ergo, I’m confident that if you told her that “you need to say goodbye to midori” she would not yield to that, and vehemently refuse any attempts you make at trying to do such.

And is that really ok? Lettin a child make such big decisions in life at that age?

No, children are not dress up dolls, but there are times that these children still do not know how to even dress themselves up. And it’s up to the parents to do that for them, when they see that the child is struggling with doing that.

But you do raise a good point that no parent must ever forget: communication is important in any relationship. Even if I am right, and Mio would vehemently refuse any attempts to remove Midori from her life, the parents should still try to communicate their rationale behind it. Let Mio know the risks, and why it needs to be done. And if she still refuses, you may have to take matters into your own hands, and hope she understands that you had the best intentions at heart.

11 Likes

I like this one a lot. Since I’ve raised agency as an important aspect of the route, I’ll note that one of the biggest mistakes that parents tend to do is forgetting that their children have agency, too. This typically comes in the form of intrusion of privacy (jesus even until now my Mom sometimes browse the contents of my bag without asking), but this can come in the form of pushing their decisions/wants/whatever to their children without asking them what they really feel or even at least discuss with them about it. The latter felt more like what happened with Mio (like seriously they just did the thing to her and she’s not even aware), and we wonder why she has serious trust issues.

As for your question, I’m still trying to gather my thoughts, but seeing others’ answers gave me some ideas. The thing is, I have been in Mio’s position to a small extent, though it’s more like for years a lot of people have made me feel that I was “abnormal” because I seemed like a kid with autism (as I said before, I have never really been diagnosed). On my parents’ part, they were less obvious about this, and I’m sure that they just wanted to protect me from awful people, but they were pretty much pushing for me to change without really considering much if I feel comfortable about it (or even consulting a professional; I really wish they did). I never really got the trust issues that Mio had, but this experience affected my self-esteem terribly.

If I was Mio’s mom though, I’ll certainly agree that there is a problem to her isolating herself like that, but I’ll definitely ask her about what she feels – if there are problems with school or with us or whatever. And more or less what Pepe said here, but I’ll also add that I will makes sure she knows that I may be trying to protect her from being looked down by people around her, but I want to let her know that I’m willing to listen to her and accept her for who she is. That even if the entire world turn against her, she could at least have someone to trust.

I’m sorry about being rambly here; I had a bit of a hard time organizing my thoughts about this. :uguu:

5 Likes

I think you have misunderstood about 50% of my post. We actually agree on a lot of things.

As I said,

I’m not going to mistake foolishness for kindness. The one making the decision will be me. And I side with the opinion of trained professionals. But the kid needs to know what’s happening and why. Of course they can disagree. They are a person, they have the right to do so. And then it’s my job to explain it, to make them understand. No taking the easy way out by pulling stuff behind their backs or proceeding without an explanation. Parenting is about choosing what’s right over what’s easy. If parenting seems easy to you at any point, you’re doing it wrong.

Mio’s parents failed because they never tried understanding their daughter. Understanding was what the whole route was about. There was a problem. Mio was lonely. Midori was a side-effect of it, a way of dealing with the loneliness. The parents became aware of Midori and decided to remove her. Because they thought she was the problem. Talking to people who aren’t there is not normal, so they have to stop it. Why? Because society? They didn’t spend much time looking for the truth. They mixed up cause and effect. They did away with the side-effect behind their daughter’s back, thinking it was a job well done, but the problem remained. Of course they messed up. They couldn’t possibly have found out the truth without talking to Mio about it. Heck, the lack of communication was the very cause of the entire problem and the parents remained forever ignorant of that fact. They failed at their parenting and caused a problem, then they tried solving it and failed even harder.

It’s not a question of whether or not clinical intervention was necessary. It’s about caring enough about your kid to understand the problem before taking action.

7 Likes

That’s your stance, though.

Don’t forget Mio’s recollection of the past is from her own biased perspective. You can’t comment on one route that all sides of the story are important to the whole picture and on the other accuse her parents of not taking the necessary steps, even knowing Mio would have not cooperated.

5 Likes

Glad to see that we each misunderstood 50% of each other’s posts but ended up agreeing on 90% of things :ahaha: But yes, understanding and communication are the things that Mio’s parents and the doctor sorely lacked. As you put it so succinctly:

The only thing I remain to disagree with is:

As there are many more reasons aside from just “Society” (such as internal conflict and identity crises) that are a good enough reason to seek medical intervention…but that’s as much as I’m going to go with this topic

4 Likes

I’m not basing it on things that could contain bias. Actually, I don’t remember Mio ever blaming her parents. The only one she ever blamed was herself.
As I said, if Mio believed she was successfully hiding Midori’s existence, it means the parents never had a proper talk with her about it. If they did, she’d know she’s been found out. This is not a matter of perspective.
That is already proof of the parents’ failure. They couldn’t possibly have figured out the truth without asking the person in question.

Just imagine your kid is suddenly limping. What kind of parent would pretend they didn’t see anything, then call in a doctor to perform a surgery on the leg while the kid’s asleep? The hell is that supposed to be? Tsundere parenting?

Aren’t you, like, supposed to ask where it’s hurting and what happened? Am I weird for assuming that’s the first thing you’re supposed to try and find out? Don’t you wanna know? You’re not even gonna try cause you assume she’ll never admit the limping part? You do care, right? You do want her suffering to stop, right? The limping is just a side effect. I mean, something happened, right? Something has caused the limping. But nobody cares about that? Sure enough, the doctor’s done a stellar job and she’s not limping anymore. He did away with that thing you wanted gone. But embarassingly enough, she’s still injured and in pain.

Now, their reasons for their course of action are up to interpretation. To me, it looks like they wanted the limping gone because “Being able to properly use your legs is essential for arriving at school on time.” Maybe I’m just assuming things here. You and @Pepe brought society into this and I kinda followed. Maybe society’s got nothing to do with it. Maybe the parents are just really awkward and failed for a different reason. But you can’t deny that they took drastic action without seeing the whole picture. They never realized what the actual problem was. What bothers me about the whole thing is not their actions per se, but their approach problem solving, which in turn makes me believe their entire parenting was lacking communication. No wonder, then, that Mio was suffering from loneliness.

We’re essentially arguing over details here, since you did say the patient must be informed. Knowing she would not cooperate doesn’t mean they shouldn’t tell her. If the kid stops communicating, it doesn’t mean the parents should, too. Kids will disagree with their parents a lot. It’s the parent’s job to explain things to kids, even if they’re hard to explain. As you said yourself,

3 Likes

I actually don’t have anything meaningful to say because I kinda agree with both sides, I just wanted to point out this hilarious expression :haha:

3 Likes

Ahh, Nishizono. I have had a bone to pick with this route ever since I first played it last year. It’s not that I dislike the route, I just dislike the manner in which it’s presented. Especially for people who don’t know the context on how it’s all possible. But first, I’m gonna talk about some good points, because I feel I don’t often give this route the credit it deserves.

Firstly, I believe this route tackles the issue of isolation in a more creative way than I’ve seen. Now don’t get me wrong, I haven’t played THAT many visual novels so my sample size isn’t all that big. Heck, I don’t even know if isolation is the proper word. But Mio wants to be on her own. Not necessarily separate from Midori, but she wants to be that white bird on the horizon. She wants to be alone. She feels that primarily out of guilt and maybe a bit of despair, but regardless, it’s still what she wants. She seeks that isolation by trading places with her shadow, someone who is more-or-less her own self. That’s something I’ve never seen anything like, and I really appreciated it for that. It’s one of the most unique pieces of storytelling I’ve ever read.

That said, as I mentioned, I don’t much care for the presentation. I get that in sync with Nishizono’s character, the route drags on a bit. It feels slow and sluggish, albeit smooth. Just like our dear Mio’s way with words and actions. Very precise. But even then, there’s a few scenes they could have at least shaved off, if not eliminated altogether and still gotten the entire message and story across in an hour or two shorter of a time.

Couple that with the ending. Some of you might know I really, REALLY didn’t get the ending for a good while. My first playthrough, my playthrough of Refrain, then my second playthrough (first on English Edition) and I still didn’t quite get it. And many folks I’ve spoken to about it admitted that they also didn’t quite get it until they finished Refrain and gave it another read. And I think that is this route’s biggest weakness. Similar to Kurugaya’s route, it is very hard to make heads or tails of it when you don’t have context. So for new readers, I imagine that as nice as the story was, they weren’t quite satisfied with the ending, as it left far too many questions on how the heck any of that even happened. If they’re anything like me, anyway.

Most routes, I feel, are a “come for the girl, stay for the emotion” type of route. But I felt it was a bit of the other way around. Come for the emotion, stay for the girl. Nishizono is an absolute treasure. While I may prefer most of the other Busters to her, her many good qualities are not lost on me. By the end, I found myself continuing the story not to finish it, but in order to get Mio back. Just as Riki was doing.

The overall plot is hit-or-miss for me, but all the little things in this route are just great. I felt the writer came through best with those. And as many folks here on Kaza have said, this route truly shines on its second read-through.

So if you’re reading this after finishing it for the first time and are feeling anything like what I’ve described, fear not. Keep playing the game and once you’ve done everything, give it another read-through.

It’s absolutely worth it.

9 Likes

@Leale and I were discussing Mio’s route during the anime watch, and we noticed something interesting. When I asked if Mio’s hair not being blue specifically would change his view of the route in anyway, and after we agreed that it was in all likelihood intentional, I noticed something.

White parasol, blue hair, white skirt. I noted that it happened to be the opposite of Mio’s poem, a white bird surrounded above and below by the blue of the sky and the blue of the ocean. The way this contrasts so directly, as Leale pointed out, may be intentionally symbolic of the contradiction in Mio’s self that desires solitude and companionship at the same time.

We’re probably making something out of nothing, and it doesn’t really matter at all, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

9 Likes

This route took an interesting turn to say the least, and so did my overall enjoyment of the route I’d say.

Before the beach scene I have to say I absolutely loved the chemistry and interactions between Riki and Mio as I feel that if Riki had not met the Little Busters all those years ago he’d have a very similar personality to Mio and that sort of reflected in their interactions (I don’t have any specific examples but that’s the overall vibe I get from those two). I was expecting Mio to have that good ol’ childhood trauma or a separated twin sister explaining Riki spotting Midori at the town-square but then of course my expectations were for better or worse flipped on its head.

After the beach scene I didn’t particularly mind the supernatural plot-twist as it is a Key VN and I am expecting these sort of twists to pop-up from time to time, however I feel that a lot of scenes after that with Riki fighting to remember Mio dragged on for a little bit too long. Pacing is one of the most difficult things to master in any medium of story-telling and my enjoyment was diminished by the slow pacing along with the fact that I desperately wanted an answer to what the hell was going on (which is still a bit up in the air but I assume that learning ‘the secret to this world’ will clear things up a little bit).

I think I understand the metaphors of isolation presented in this route especially after reading the discussions surrounding these and hopefully I will understand these even more after listening to other people’s interpretations on the podcasts when I have the time to listen.

3 Likes

Found on Kashida’s twitter

He’s talking about Mio’s name. Nishizono is reference to some pure land/nirvana in the west (Buddhism something… fuck if I know) because the climax was supposed to be more reminiscent of death (Plenty of death imagery in the version we got though)
He mentions that the names Mio and Midori come from a book series titled 暗黒館の殺人. That would mean like The Murderer of the Dark Mansion or “The Murderer of the Ankokukan.” Like, that’s the name of the mansion in the story, and it sounds so dumb translated. Anyway, Mio and Midori are a pair of Siamese twins in the story. Furthermore, this is the book Mio tells us about on the 22nd.

3 Likes

That story setting actually reminds me of a certain other VN with a seagull connection!

I tried, I really did. But I couldn’t get into this one. It being the second LB route I went through after Rin1 (still yet to go through any others as of now) probably didn’t help matters, especially as I didn’t find Mio to be very appealing in the first place, but more than just a few things about the route felt off from start to finish, and it goes way beyond just my initial indifference towards her. Reading through the posts here enlightened me on much of what I think I missed, but my assessment for the most part remains the same.

As someone nicely put it, this felt less like the “come for the girl, stay for the feels” kind of route that one might be used to in such VNs and more like the exact opposite, and from what I felt while going through it, I think that’s down to the author’s unhealthy approach to it all. I say unhealthy, because there were many times when it read a lot like a story of infatuation. Not of Riki’s infatuation, but of the writer’s, and I really don’t like it when too much of the writer shows up in their writing. Mio’s trauma with Midori (a very nicely handled character that, as the OP says, can be interpreted in a number of ways and elicited more emotion out of me than anything else in the route by a long shot) didn’t do much to draw my attention away from that.

I know both Riki and Mio supposed to be quite young and thus, at least in this route, have a worse understanding of things like love than of the things you would learn from reading stories and poems (although, shouldn’t Mio have a bigger discrepancy in that regard? some of the events in the common route appear to disagree…), but even by the usual standards it feels like the gap between them is much too big, almost as if the writer transported their own lack of understanding into the story they wrote. The sometimes overly sexual elements (which were often very awkwardly handled and especially awkwardly worded) further contributed to this, but I’m not sure if this is more of a fault of the Steam version’s translation or something that is indeed part of the original writing.

That said, there were a lot of strong elements in it. The alter ego aspect is something I’ve noticed in others and, to a much lesser extent (I never enjoyed pretend play as a kid, and this behavior mostly surfaced in me in recent years once I started thinking about writing my own stories), in myself as well over the years, and in this case it provided a great deal of depth to Mio’s character.

Midori in particular was handled really well, and she elicited more emotion out of me than anything else in the route by a long shot, something that I get the feeling was hugely intended and ultimately hugely successful. It doesn’t matter if your reaction isn’t entirely the same as Riki’s - what does matter is standing your ground when everyone else is starting to think you’re losing it, especially in the face of the one instigating the whole thing in the first place. Acknowledging Midori as being Mio is the same as letting Mio die, if not for real then at least in your heart - fitting, as death is one of the main themes of the route, and it’s specifically what Midori was testing Riki for. If you truly love someone, you must love them for who they are and not just who they want to be or who you want them to be, which goes a long way towards legitimizing that aforementioned infatuation and fully justifies Mio’s initial rejection. You don’t have to completely accept everything about them, because there will be times when you really do know enough about them to understand that they might make decisions that would ultimately only hurt them, but you have to at least understand them and be with them. Sometimes, like in the case of this route, that implies having to go against their isolationist desires, and while that may be cruel and selfish, it can also be necessary at times to get someone out of the rut they’ve found themselves in, so they can push themselves forward once they’ve found a reason to push on.

There’s also an obvious meta factor in all this because Midori acting the way she is challenges the viewer in a unique way - the notion that people primarily have good intentions is first tackled in a controlled, safe environment in the common route, in the event with the lost book. Then Midori comes along and provides a much bigger challenge in that regard, testing both Riki’s strength of will and your own. I found that to be a nice touch, and it wasn’t restricted to Riki either as assumptions, and the intentions behind them, are a major theme of the route, being a big part of why Mio rejects Riki initially as well. I don’t think its execution was spotless by any stretch of the imagination (I felt very little towards Riki’s efforts to right everything, or towards the endless stream of metaphors that I don’t think even suited the characters all that well at the end of the day), but at the very least it was a good and somewhat original concept that I feel added a lot to the story and to Mio’s character. The same goes for the part with the glasses - unlike seemingly a lot of other posters in here, I recognized straight away that it was another one of Midori’s attempts to challenge Riki, but it was a beautifully executed challenge (and a very successful one at that because she really had Riki on the ropes here).

One big thing it made me understand, however, is why some people dislike a completely different route from a completely different VN. Lucia’s route in Rewrite is, from what I’ve gathered, rather contentious, with the vast majority of people either loving it or strongly disliking it. I’ve always been on the former side of the fence, given that I love RK07’s writing, philosophy and understanding of the world and strongly dislike Romeo Tanaka’s approach, but this has made me understand why, even beyond that factor, there are many people on the other side: in many ways, Mio’s route feels a lot like a story written inside the LB universe by someone invited to do so, rather than something that can truly plausibly happen as a result of the choices made in the events of the common route if you were to tell the main writer to come up with something along these lines. The characters all feel very different from their common route/Rin1 counterparts, which, in a story where the MC starts off as being part of an already established group (of friends in this case, specifically the Little Busters), struck me as being a bit of a faux pas. I get that not everything will be fun and games once something serious happens, and that will shape the interactions with those around you, even those you normally hung out with for fun, but I see it as being far less about that and far more of a sign of the huge differences between the writing for Mio’s route and the writing for the common route, all the way down to the writers themselves.

When I went through Lucia’s route, I saw this as a positive, as I felt RK07 made the most of the world and cast he was given to toy with and especially felt like he gave everyone, not just Lucia and Kotarou, much more depth on an interpersonal level than Romeo Tanaka ever did and brought more valid questions, topics and themes to the table than his counterpart. Originally, I couldn’t say the same for Mio’s route here, but now I feel that’s less because one writer outright understands the characters or the process of characterization less and more because it’s simply a different approach that appeals more strongly to those who can readily empathize with the writer’s characters, thoughts and the like (particularly the issues they want to push forward), and to me, that’s what a route in a VN should be all about. Again, the execution could’ve been better in my eyes, but thinking about it this way has made me appreciate the route a whole lot more, and I still feel it was better done than the routes Romeo Tanaka wrote in Rewrite. Although, if what people are saying is true and Leo Kashida was the one behind Tomoyo After, then maybe I can understand why much of Mio’s route ultimately failed to appeal to me considering I wasn’t a fan of that either.

There’s one other thing I can point out to round this off: going back to Mio&Midori, I’m still quite conflicted on how to feel about how she handled the loss of Midori. I feel it’s deeply unfair to just write her strong negative reaction off, but at the same time… was it ever really something healthy? If the thing about the doctor’s removal of Midori is indeed correct, was he truly unjustified, regardless of Mio’s parents’ mistakes when they raised her? Midori either spawned as a direct result of her unhealthy social tendencies (tendencies strongly reinforced by the continued existence of Midori), or as a result of a mental issue from an early age, and both of those possibilities have me questioning whether leaving her to her own devices is in any way an acceptable approach. Unfortunately, this issue was mostly muddied for me by the introduction of the supernatural element, one which I feel was quite hamfisted, at least by Key standards. I get that it goes hand in hand with the string of metaphors, but this, to me, was by far the most egregious case of bad execution I found within the route, and prior to reading through this thread, it single-handedly prevented me from giving any further thought to an issue that I felt should’ve had much greater importance. It would’ve also been nice to see a total resolution of the dynamic between Mio and Midori, but that’s most likely left for each viewer to decide, which, to me, is for the best.

At the end of the day, Mio’s route is unlikely to be anywhere close to top tier for me in the end once I’ve completed LB!, but it has its appeal and its strong elements, and I’m very much okay with that. There’s a lot that I’m sure I’ve missed by going through the translated version as a result of me not knowing Japanese, but a lot of people have already gone into that, thankfully for me. I’m also sure there are a lot of things that I interpreted incorrectly compared to others who were able to get into the route much more than I could, but I feel like I can at least say that I gave it a fair chance and tried to understand it to the best of my ability.

Small shoutout to that one moment where Rin chimes in for a bit to try and help Riki out. Someone else rightly pointed out in the thread that there are too many long-winded speeches, sometimes ones that don’t even fit the characters in question in my opinion, but with Rin in particular it worked spectacularly because it never gave the impression that she was a different character from the Rin we know. She tried her hardest and her contribution was very much befitting her earnest character.

(jesus christ I just wrote 2000 words on a route that didn’t even appeal to me)

5 Likes

Just a few thoughts about Mio’s route. Although I find Mio as a character really boring, her route was pretty good about a 7-8/10. What I really like about this route is how you find out the reason that she carries a parabrella is because she has no shadow. I personally think the route was told rather well. Stuff like how the book that she lent you is what reminded you of her is the same book that reminded her of her sister, Midori. I do like the entire thing with how Midori says things to riki that happened in the past that causes Riki to rewrite his memory partially, as this is somewhat true in real life. Midori is pretty good as a character and servers her purpose in the route well by being a thwart to Riki’s memories although I personally don’t find that the bad routes make any scene at all. Would honestly rather her to join the Little Busters over Mio. This is the end of my thoughts as the thing I enjoyed the most happened during the common and not sure if thats Common related to Mio’s route or just had the right choices, its about Kengo though and will write about it in his discussion later. Thats all for now, I’ll be writing about Haruka or Kud next probably.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect to finish another route before Kaza close down but Mio’s route is done so here are my thoughts about it.

Mio is a pretty charming character. She has this calm personality that reminds me characters like Minagi or Kotomi. Also the first moments that you share with her are very special, she has a beautiful theme that is pretty melancholic and relaxing and the writing is way way more poetic than in the other stories, you can feel that it was written by another person. I felt that the writer tried to wrote this more as a novel than as an actual VN.

There is a thing that I didn’t like about Mio, it’s all the BL jokes made in her route. Now, it’s not a type of humor that I hate, for example (CLANNAD spoiler) the gay Sunohara jokes made me laugh a lot in this VN especially in Kappei’s route, and in LB I found some jokes about Riki and Kyousuke’s ambiguous relationship pretty funny. But if you ask me if loving this stuff and fantasizing on it are attractive traits for a girl I’d say no. It’s probably an extremely personal opinion though.

(ONE spoilers)

The two references about ONE of this VN are located in this route. A girl says “The party was drawn to a close by three rousing cheers” at one point and Mio wants to buy a hamster plush that has 5 zeros on the price tag.

So I’ve heard about these references before starting the VN, however I thought that they were just jokes (just like the other Key references in this VN) but no, they’re not jokes, they’re here to point out that ONE is one of the inspirations for this route. You can see a lot of similarities between ONE and this route but I’ll point out only the three most blatant ones:

• this route uses the same formula as ONE. A character disappears and everyone starts to forget about him, the ones that were the closest to the character are the ones that take the most time to forget about him. This formula is so good that it was used in a lot of different stories of the Key writers, personally it’s the 4th time that I experience it.
  • Riki tries as hard as he can to remember Mio by doing some things again and again. That’s exactly what Akane does in ONE to remember her childhood friend by going regularly to the empty lot. Moreover, the second ONE reference is a reference to Akane’s route (and the first one is a reference to the common route)
  • eternity is a word that comes really often in the story, it’s what Mio wants to reach, an immutable place that his outside of the world.

In the second poem that we find in the book, the two lovers wish that “everything would cease right now except this kiss”. When Kouhei makes the pledge of eternity with the Eternal World girl in ONE, they kiss each other as well (“For now and forever, I’ll stay by your side.” So saying, she placed her lips lightly against mine.). Mio seems to be obsessed by that very moment (“the longing for that frozen eternity had resonated with her”), that’s why she desires to reach eternity and that’s why the line is underlined in red in her book.
At the end of the VN, the characters kiss like in the poem but the meaning is different “It’s an eternity, but an instant. We are alone, but together.”, here the brief eternity is here more to describe an intense moment than to show a desire to stop everything. The second part shows that Mio’s social problem is fixed, Riki by “becoming the blue of Mio and Midori” has replaced the eternity that Mio wanted to reach (“I’m going to make you realize that the place you have wished to reach is inside my heart”). Exactly how Mizuka (or the others ONE girls) became the new reason to live for Kouhei in ONE and a replacement to the Eternal World.

This story feels a bit like if the writer was a big fan of ONE and wanted to do his own version of it. Now, this is a really well made story and I’m sure there are a lot of inspirations behind it but I think that ONE was a pretty big one of them.

I think the main themes of this route are imagination and illusion. Midori is basically an incarnation of the childhood imaginary friend, I like how she says that she’s the same as clouds that we are giving forms to with our imaginary. I liked the quote that Mio brought up “The reason why people write novels and read them is to lament the fact that they can live their lives only once”, I disagree with this statement since there are other reasons to read stories, however I think it’s a great quote to show how much our imaginary makes us enjoy the stories we read. Another thing I like is the fact that they’ve used a real photo as a background for the beach, that’s a great way to blur the frontier between fiction and reality.

I thought that the part where Midori is messing with our memory was well made, especially when she talks about the lunch because I absolutely couldn’t remember what was the exact answer while remembering the two dishes.
The two last choices were great. The first one allows us to choose between Mio or Midori (CLANNAD spoiler à la Kyou and Ryou) even if choosing Midori lead to a standard bad ending. The second one was more interesting for me because you’ve to choose if Midori has good or bad intentions, when I’ve seen that I was like “fuck, I’ve absolutely no idea what to choose”. And then, I’ve remembered the beginning of the route where Riki says that people have naturally good intentions. I don’t know if that was made on purpose or if other people did the same thing as me, but making this choice by remembering something from far ago was very rewarding given the type of this story.

My problem with Midori was that she has no reason to be mean except to entertain the reader (it’s the extremely common archetype of a villain becoming suddenly good later in the story that we found in a lot of shonen). Someone made me notice later that she did this because she wanted to test Riki, to see if he was good enough to save Mio. I’ve done the first bad ending after beating the route, the one where we choose Midori over Mio, and I was pretty surprised to see her being disappointed before accepting Riki’s love.
The thing is, she tries a little bit too hard to make him forget at times, like when she’s saying the poem and a lot of times it feels like Riki succeeds to remember Mio just by a lot of luck.
But I think it’s because she tries to see if Riki loves Mio enough to not forget about her, independently of his will.

Another strong theme of the story is for Mio to understand how to live with other people. We can’t merged with other people and share the same way of thinking, we are always going to see the world in a different way than others and we always risk to disagree with them. My favorite scene of the route is when Riki becomes “the blue of Mio and Midori”, the thing that will replace the eternity that Mio wanted to reach (“I’m going to make you realize that the place you have wished to reach is inside my heart”).
I also really like when Riki finds the poem made by Mio for the contest, that was moving.

I also liked the role of all the other characters, it’s present in all the other routes but I thought it was well done especially here. For example, when Kyousuke acts like a bro and told Riki to trust his own memory. All the parallels with the Little Busters were nice too.

I still prefer Kud’s route mostly for personal preferences but also because it felt more emotional to me but Mio’s route was really good.

Oh yeah, if you like this route and if you’ve read CLANNAD, I recommend to read “Sunny Paradise” in the 10th anniversary artbook of CLANNAD. It’s a side story focused on Fuko which is written by the same writer as Mio’s route (Leo Kashida). It has a lot of similarities with this route and it’s pretty good, it’s the side story of the artbook that I’ve the most enjoyed.

4 Likes