Little Busters! - Kengo Miyazawa Character Discussion

Celebrating Kengo’s birthday, I’m starting up a Kengo discussion thread! I’ll have this pinned for the duration of his birthday. This thread has a heavy spoiler warning, so feel free to leave your spoilers untagged unless referencing events from the EX routes or other stories. His birthday is the 30th of April.

What are your thoughts on Kengo? How did you opinion of him change as you progressed through the story? How do you think of him compared to the other LB boys? What did you think of the actions he took?

For me, I thought Kengo was a magnificent character. He was very unassuming during the first play-through of the common route (first 24 episodes of the Anime), but he really shines after the incident with Koshiki. And he quickly rose the ranks to become one of my favourite characters after the baseball scene in Rin’s arc. He’s both strong and dependable, but also quick to cry when he lets down his barriers. And in the end, the way the most serious character was the one who wanted to have fun more than anyone really moved me. Of all the LB guys, he probably had the biggest emotional impact on me.

1 Like

This topic is now pinned globally. It will appear at the top of its category and all topic lists until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

Best male character, even if he wasn’t as mature or intelligent with his decisions as the rest of the bunch. He just wanted to have fun~

I think, out of all the original Little Busters, Kengo had the most regrets. And he tried so hard to keep up his guard despite all that.

But I guess that’s what his friendship is all about. Sacrificing his own regrets so that he could see Kyousuke’s plan become a reality.

1 Like

Kengo is a character that keeps his worries and troubles bottled up, never relying on other people’s help. He is pursuing strength and perfection - because people expect him to.

Initially, Kengo gave off the aura of a very straighforward, calm, collected ‘no-shit’ character with great inner strength, the downside being that he, being a stick-in-the-mud, didn’t really fit into the silly group of Little busters who sought childish adventures and played silly games. But he did provide a good contrast to the rest of the group, so you couldn’t really call him a nuisance.

Starting from playthrough 2, Kengo transformed into Masato. Which was confusing. Very confusing. Even more so because he didn’t stay Masato, but kept alternating between those personalities. That was the moment when he would spark the reader’s interest in him. Why did he change that much?

Refrain then brought upon the explanation to those mysteries. Along with his troubles, Kengo has bottled up all his desire to fool around and be silly with the other Little Busters due to the expectations the grown-ups have placed on him.
And since he had bottled it all up, he was revealed as the most childish member of them all when the dam broke. He had wasted his life and missed out on so many opportunities on enjoying his youth.
And therefore, his wish was just as silly and childish: To try and make up for the time he had lost and keep playing around with his friends for all eternity while protecting them from harm. No wonder he couldn’t understand Kyousuke’s cruelty and had therefore opposed him.

He is a good example of a character that has more to him than the initial impression would make you believe.

2 Likes

I can’t write something that would be good enough to describe Kengo. I’ll just settle for.

KENGO’S TEARS ARE THE WORST TEARS ;-;

2 Likes

I too find it hard to describe Kengo in any better a way than what’s already been stated- But I think that there’s a lot to learn from him. Good and bad. Much like all of the other Little Busters characters.

There is no way- At all- That you could rank ‘that scene’, you know? There’s so much that’s pure about it… Kengo is no exception. He just… Wants to play. I doubt that there are many people out there who don’t think every once in a while that they may have missed out on something because of their interests or obligations. Responsibilities they give themselves out of respect or something else. They’re without a doubt an amazing person, but at the same time you know they’re… Resentful in some way, towards themselves. Even if it isn’t really the truth.

Anyways- Kengo is, much like every other one of these characters- A massive influence on myself. Happy Birthday-time Kengo. <3

3 Likes

ok, really need to write something here, since Kengo is my favorite Key character. I life like exact opposite life as he did. Nobody was ever expecting something of me and I am just living my life having fun. This is the exact reason why I can relate to everything so much.

When he didnt want to do as Kyosuke said and he went his own way, while still staying one of Riki’s best friends. When Riki really needed him, he was there. Kyosuke then kinda forced him to stop behaving like he did and Kengo did, what he had to do, if he liked it or not. After that he just decided to let out his feelings and fool around and play with his friends forever, which brought about the baseball match against Kyosuke and Masato, literally one of my favorite moments. A thing, which made even Kengo lose his cool and directly attack Kyosuke.

Learning more about Kengo in Refrain was the thing that made me say: This dude is the man.

I cant think of much more to say than CHEAP TRICKS!

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about Kengo. He switches from being a good guy to a bad guy and vice versa so many times… I mean, in the end everyone turns out to be a bro but Kengo can be quite stubborn. But then he can also be really cool. DAMMIT MIYAZAWA.

There’s something about Kengo that was kind of an in-joke between me and my girlfriend while we were watching and reading Little Busters. Kengo seems to not like Haruka very much. We noticed it from the cues and how he reacts when Haruka appears on screen. Which made one scene in Kurugaya Route’s Love Love Hunters all the more hilarious (the one where you pick Komari for him)

There was also one scene in the anime we noticed. Haruka is playing around with Masato in the classroom and Kengo is about to enter, but he sees her and…

Just leaves :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Well, I’d leave too if I see that kinda situation.

1 Like

Yes that scene! That was some lovely attention to detail by the animators.

1 Like

Makes a change.

Sort of missed it, but since I didn’t talk about Kengo when I finished up Little Busters!, I’ll talk about him now as part of his birthday celebration.

Kengo starts out pretty cold and aloof in the beginning, sticking to what he has been taught and never moving from it. His relationship with the other members is rocky, even from the very start of all this. However, things start to take a turn when he saves his fellow classmate/potential love interest Miyuki, breaking his arm in the process. Since he can no longer study kendo, he is quick to jump on the only thing left for him: baseball practice.

After that, his personality becomes more laid-back and fun-loving, and he becomes more friendly with Masato and Riki, but he maintains his negativity towards Kyousuke’s beliefs. He stands for everything that Kyousuke does not, namely that Riki and Rin’s progression must be slow and natural, rather than forced and unforgiving. By the start of Refrain, after everything falls apart, both Kengo and Kyousuke are at an impasse, and Riki is left to his own devices in order to rebuild the team.

I do admire Kengo’s two-faced personality. At one point, he can be cold and harsh, and at another, he can be playful and friendly. Although he’s arguably my least favorite of the three male supporting characters, he still makes a significant impact in all the routes he appears in. His love for those he calls his friends knows no bounds, and it’s rather sad to watch the guy go in the initial ending of Refrain. Fortunately, since everyone made it out of the accident alive thanks to Riki and Rin, Kengo and Masato will live to outclass each other another day.

And that’s the way things should be. Have a happy birthday, Kengo. :slight_smile:

I saw somewhere that Miyuki died in the real world. Is this true? I don’t remember anything about that in the game. There’s a lot of stuff I think LB! could have covered more, this is one of them.

Neither do I. I never found it out until I looked her up on the wiki.

It makes me wonder, though…was her death part of his regret? :confused:

Maybe this is from EX routes or Kudwaf

Maybe the EX routes might touch upon it. I don’t think Kengo is even a character in Kud Wafter. :confused:

1 Like

In Komari’s route, Riki spots Kengo when he’s at the graveyard visiting Takuya’s(?) grave. There’s not many people I could imagine whose grave he could be visiting. That and it makes Kengo’s overreaction in the cheap tricks scene make more sense.

5 Likes