Little Busters! - Kanata Futaki Route & Character Discussion

Yeah thanks. After re reading the route i confirmed there was four pair of them. The futaki family threw one of kanata’s away to break haruka’s trust and torment her by labelling haruka as having a second place as she would have two hair ties and kanata only had one left now.

And i think the one kanata wears is the one that wasn’t thrown away. Cause riki notices that it has scratches and the colour was dull. A new one wouldn’t be that beaten up and there is no need for kanata to buy a similar one like that cause it would hold any value.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a little obvious. :yahaha:

It’s not the hair ornaments themselves that matter to Kanata but the symbol of her promise with Haruka that got lost in their relatives’ manipulation. Barring the fact that she would never allow herself to lose said ornament in the first place, she would have no reason to buy another one since the work doesn’t really depict her as being particularly oriented towards hair accessories.

2 Likes

Well i have a question for you guys.

Why do you think the futaki family wanted Kanata to become the best in everything?what was their goal?. Did they plan for her to get good reputation and then secure a powerful position in society (Lawyer, mayor etc.) and then use it for their own gain or they just wanted a pawn that to manipulate ?.

It just clicked for me how Kanata literally can’t show her back to anyone. Traditionally, a scar on your back refers to a wound received while retreating making it a symbol of weakness and failure. Well, Kanata doesn’t allow herself to show any weakness in the same way she doesn’t show her physical back.

3 Likes

Despite having already cleared Refrain for the second time a while ago, I had to wait a while before starting any of the EX routes to make sure all my friends were caught up. Now that I don’t have that obligation anymore, I managed to finish Kanata’s route in about three days. After waiting so long to finally read the mythical EX routes I heard so much about, how does this first one fare?

Kanata herself is an interesting beast, especially after all that’s transpired in Haruka’s route. Following the events of Refrain, I’d grown to assume that the Kanata portrayed in this world isn’t actually the real Kanata. Rather, she’s a bit of a gross exaggeration of the real one, which embodies Haruka’s lingering bitterness towards her in the world where something happened. The reflection of Kanata we saw in Haruka’s route is humorless and merciless, but not completely unreasonable. As we discover in Haruka’s route, the only thing really keeping the two of them apart in that world is their facade of hatred towards one another.

Kanata’s route explores how this facade came to be, and why it was necessary in Kanata’s mind. The Kanata on display in her route is no less obstinate or reasonable than how she is in Haruka’s route; the only major difference here is Haruka’s attitude towards her. This route fully expects the reader to have read Refrain beforehand, and there are many blatant references to the Secret and the gang’s purpose in raising Riki and Rin to be independent individuals. Despite this, it leaves me wondering whether Kanata is really a construct of Haruka’s intelligence or her own individual intelligence that entered the world in the same way everyone else did.

My own personal theory (which obviously cannot compare to any of Magus’ massive conspiracy theories) is that Kanata is likely a representation of a second regret of Haruka’s. Haruka spends a lot of time trying to connect with Kanata despite this Kanata having no recollection of the events of Haruka as far as I can tell. As such, it’s a matter of overcoming an obstacle that was previously only overcome by great adversity on both fronts. However, it’s Kanata that has to yield this time around, as Haruka is already open to repairing their relationship. Supposing Kanata is a mental construct of Haruka’s, however, there’s something within Haruka that’s still rather reluctant to mend ties with Kanata. I got the vibe that Haruka was struggling to overcome a rather traumatic incident in her childhood despite being done with her family in a previous repetition. This is why she still heavily figures in the problem and resolution of the route, and it explains the scene where they speak with each other in that white void…whatever that was. :yahaha:

Anyway, Kanata’s route is also a very personal route because of this, much like Haruka’s route. Kanata as an individual is a hard egg to break because of the abuse she’s faced, the responsibilities she has to keep up in order to preserve her sister’s livelihood. She does not take to Riki all that well, and sometimes it takes a little push from A-chan-senpai (who feels as though she deserves her own route, she’s such a bro :ai: ) to help them understand one another. I never thought Kanata herself could be made into a relatable character, but Shirokiri incorporates subtleties into her character that don’t feel unnatural or tacked on. In fact, the way she warms up to Riki just feels so right, it’s inspiring. I was literally cheering at the moment they first kiss, as well as the climactic scene where Riki, Haruka and the other Busters (especially our Lord and Savior Kyousuke) fought to keep Kanata at the school a little longer. It’s an emotional rollercoaster, although I again didn’t find myself crying at places where I was meant to cry. Still got a ways to go on that. ._.

Although I never took any notes reading this route (I did take a lot of pictures though), I’m surprised I am able to say so much about this route. It’s honestly an amazing route, right up there with Haruka as one of the greats. Then again, I thought every route so far was great this reading. I’m really excited for Sasami and Saya now! :haha:

8 Likes

So I finished the Kanata route a little while ago and I enjoyed her route as much as I did Haruka’s. It nicely wrapped up the loose ends I was wondering about at the end of Haruka’s route, and the Wedding Busters part was amazing. I actually came to like Kanata’s character a lot, and she ended up being one of my favourites. Maybe a controversial opinion to have, but I can’t help it :yahaha:

So the scene of Kanata and Haruka just before the Wedding Busters part confused me a bit… and I don’t think I’m the only one. But judging from the dialogue I think I can assume Kanata’s route takes place before Refrain, also considering Haruka is not sure whether or not she and Kanata will see eachother again. She mentioned that “when the time comes, it’ll be alright for Riki-kun and Rin-chan to decide.” I think she might be referring to the “it’s not enough” or “it’s enough” choice? There’s also the fact that Haruka is sleeping in a bed when waking up afterwards, with her arms wrapped in bandages which leads me to believe the accident had just happened.

This raises the question of how much Kanata remembers from the dream world afterwards… possibly nothing at all? She is not part of the Little Busters and should not be involved in the accident, so I’m wondering if Riki had to start from scratch again with her (assuming you went with the “because I like you” choice earlier in the route). It’s all a bit hazy and I’m not sure about the sequence of events and how much time there was between the accident and Kanata’s wedding for example. They never show if and to what extent the relationship between Riki and Kanata got reset, and whether or not he has made any new progress since the accident in the real world. But I suppose it doesn’t really matter.

On another subject, I was actually thinking that Kanata might have been aware of the secret of the world all along. One thing I found interesting was how different her behaviour seems to be when compared to Haruka’s route. Does she retain some memories of it? I don’t think the change is only caused by Haruka’s different attitude towards her for example. There were also some other things she said during her route that made me think this, but I can’t remember them at the moment… One thing I do remember though is my post from Haruka’s route where I mentioned the following:

I wrote this before I read Refrain, but afterwards it seems to make a lot more sense… but only if Kanata is actually aware of the secret of the world. Maybe I’m completely off track with my ramblings but it’s something that was curious to me.

Anyway, this route is definitely one of my favourites and I should probably give it another read fairly soon. My emotions mostly have the upper hand when reading and it doesn’t give me much room to think and analyze, so writing coherent posts on routes afterwards is more difficult than it should be :yahaha:

4 Likes

If it wasn’t for the conversation between Haruka and Kanata when they are, I assume, leaving the dream world, I would say with 100% certainty: Kanata never was in the dream world, she was created from Haruka’s memories and that’s why she should remember nothing from the dream world.
As it stands there are points that both support and are against that theory though, so I’m as confused as you.
I am however pretty sure that Kanata does know the secret of the world, for the reasons you wrote.

If anyone who has read this route a second time maybe has a better understanding of it, please correct me :haha: (why isn’t the kengo emote in the discord server? :sad:)

4 Likes

Ah yeah I read the theory that Kanata is simply a construction of Haruka’s memories. I’m not sure what to think of this, doesn’t that basically make her existence one of an NPC in the dream world? Or whatever you want to call it, I can’t think of a better term. Not sure how I feel about the route being mostly about a character who actually isn’t even there, though I suppose in reality it changes very little. But like you mention the one scene that would really go against this theory is the conversation between Kanata and Haruka as they are leaving the dream world.

What kind of existence Kanata really is in the dream world and if it perhaps is related to her seemingly being aware of the secret of the world is a very interesting question though.

3 Likes

Reread the route but forgot to make a post.

Kanata’s route had one insisting problem. ‘consistency’ i know many people here liked the flashback then real time then again flashback and real time but for me it felt like breaking off the mood a bit. Still it wasn’t anything major and i was okay with it but…

What happened in the nurse’s office was i think something way off the timing. Riki holds her hand and then kanata starts talking about how she never had chance to love and her regrets. I doubt love is the something that was on her mind at the time. The only thing she was concerned with was how to make haruka happy and the stress from families and her school responsibilities.

I just dislike how they forced romance here. There was no need, it breaks off the flow of story.

1 Like

Kanata’s route is another complicated one for me. It did a lot of things right, but also a lot of things wrong. As @Ganesh_Swami stated, the romance did feel a bit forced. Which, for me, is a strange thing to think considering it takes SOOOO long to get started. However, the romance feels really genuine once you get over that initial forced-start feeling.

And I think both of those things can be attributed to the writer, Chika Shirokiri. Chika also wrote the Haruka and Kud routes. And like the Kanata route, they’re both very long and often-times drawn out with exposition or in many cases, just a bit too much fluff. Spending day after day helping Kanata out in the student council room as the plot progresses at a snail’s pace, I felt a lot of it was unnecessary and the route wouldn’t have suffered much, if at all, had some of those scenes been scrapped altogether.

However, just as with Haruka and Kud’s routes, with all that exposition comes plenty of story and plot development. Once you get past the fluff, everything starts to come into place and the pace really begins to pick up. And just like Haruka and Kud, once the romance gets going, it really shines as one of the route’s strongest points.

My favorite point of the route, though, has got to be the timeline part of it. I like that this route takes place in the Dream World, reality, and seemingly the purgatory in between. The ending is also very good, as it features all of the Little Busters, unified to help out one of their friends. And while you always sort of got that feeling from the group of friends, it was awesome seeing it in action.

That about sums it up for me, really. Great plot, but long and drawn out sometimes. Great romance, but forced and awkward at times. Which just about sums up any Chika Shirokiri route, really. Yahaha.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention how the route does a TEN OUTTA TEN JOB of making you really like Kanata. She’s one of my favorite girls now, which is something I never thought I’d say.

7 Likes

I’ve finally finished Kanata’s route (and, by extension, the entirety of Little Busters English Edition) and I’d like to keep my bigger thoughts on hold for a moment. Good points so far by everyone, though :happy:

One teeny tiny thing I’d like to comment, though, is how the final (completely skippable) choice, where you may or may not kiss Haruka before continuing with Operation Wedding Busters, completely fucks up with all of my ideas on the choice mechanic of this game and how it interacts with the agency of Riki in Little Busters. :nonono:
I’m gonna have to change my thoughts on this one, for sure, because before this, I wouldn’t have even imagined having choices outside of the dream world. (as if Refrain hadn’t already convinced me of this lol)

3 Likes

Now that I’ve finally finished the last remaining route in Little Busters!, I’ve also looked back at the pieces I have chosen for my classical-music gimmick… I haven’t mentioned a single Baroque piece yet. Which means, for Kanata, I must choose a piece by J.S. Bach, because I can’t not mention Bach when it comes to Baroque. Plus, dude shares the same birthday as Haydn, and guess what piece I chose for Haruka before? :yahaha:

Sadly, I don’t know as much Bach pieces as I want to, but right now my pick for Kanata is the Erbarme Dich aria from his St. Matthew Passion (oh nice, it’s Holy Week right now). That song is pure suffering, right down to the lyrics.

(Here’s a playlist of pieces I picked for each routes, for those interested.)

Anyway, for the Kanata route, it was a much better experience than I personally expected, and I found it to be a much-needed follow-up to Haruka Route. Whereas there were some aspects of Haruka Route that sort-of muddled its message with regards to domestic abuse, Kanata Route managed to have a much clearer and much more thoughtful exploration of the subject:

There’s also this line that cleared the muddled waters for me when it comes to the route’s message:

Another thing I appreciate about this route is how the story acknowledged and respected that Kanata herself isn’t exactly a fan of men who conflate pity with romantic interest. Still, the route values support network as the key (kek) to freeing a victim from abuse, but it conveys so without coming across as promoting emotional dependency, or reinforcing gender stereotypes that damsels need a knight in shining armor to be saved. That’s why I like that Kanata was saved through the effort of the entire Little Busters – and Kanata herself, too – rather than just Riki alone. Bonus points that the idea of Riki conveying confessing to Kanata was deemed inconsequential in the end.

Also, shoutout to Haruka in this route. She did great. I’m so proud of her.

4.5/5 the raid-the-wedding-scene was so shounen I love it

4 Likes

So it’s surprisingly difficult to find details on the more minor races and locations in The Neverending Story. There are 3 places that are referenced in Little Busters! Chapter 23 is called The City of the Old Emperors and details two of them: The city of the Old Emperors; and Basketville, the village of the Yskálnari. Chapter 25 then introduces the Minroud Mine.

Old Emperors - So in Fantastica(not Fantasia), humans from Earth have the ability to manifest their wishes through a magic amulet. Using the amulet costs a piece of your memory, and the amulet only works as long as you have memories of Earth. The Old Emperors are humans that got trapped in Fantastica and ended up forgetting all about themselves; they also get called the Know Nothings. They are just kinda zombies that do human-like activities on auto pilot.

“These people here used up all their memories. Without a past you can’t have a future. That’s why they don’t get older. Just look at them. Would you believe that some of them have been here a thousand years and more? But they stay just as they are. Nothing can change for them, because they themselves can’t change anymore.”

Yskálnari - Basketville is a community where everything is the same. All buildings, items, clothes, etc. are made from the same straw material. Its recidents, the Yskálnari, are all in agreement and always operate in groups. They are all conjoined mentally, and there’s no individuality. Below is what happens when a large crow grabs and eats one of them.

When the danger was past, the sailors emerged and resumed their song and dance, as though nothing had happened. Their harmony was undisturbed, and far from grieving, they didn’t waste so much as a word on the incident.
“Why should we grieve?” said one of them when Bastian inquired. “None of us is missing.”
With them the individual counted for nothing. No one was irreplaceable, because they drew no distinction between one man and another.

This is what Kanata refers to when she talks about students leaving and how it’s easier to leave when no one gets emotional about it.

Minroud Mine - When humans on Earth dream up something but forget it when they wake up, that dream has to go somewhere. Those dreams are manifested in the ground of Fantastica. Minroud is the place where Yor the blind miner digs up dreams from the depths. Dreams take the form of fragile, paper-thin pieces of isinglass.

Minroud is the namesake of the ZEN manga adaptation of Kanata’s route. I’m not sure if it’s mentioned anywhere else.

3 Likes

I see, the word ‘Minroud’ was from Minroud Mine. I’ve been wondering about that before.

I remember Haruka mentioned the word Minroud.

If I remember it right, this scene is when Haruka and Riki were talking about how they first met, or something like that.

1 Like

Ok, I thought I’d heard it somewhere. I did a quick CTRL+F of the Haruka and Kanata routes, but nothing showed up.

1 Like

This was during the common route of Kanata’s route. It just so happen I have screenshots of these in my folder.

1 Like

Yeah, the files I searched are only the content after date goes away. It’s just that the whole script is divided into 350 text files.

I guess this shows that LB! refers to Minroud more as a place to find forgotten memories rather than forgotten dreams (minute difference). Like, the pictures Yor has dug up aren’t clear images. They’re very dreamlike, even making reference to Salvador Dali.

What these pictures represented it was hard to say. There were figures in weird disguise that seemed to be flying through the air in an enormous bird’s nest, donkeys in judge’s robes, clocks as limp as soft butter, dressmaker’s dummies standing in deserted, glaringly lighted squares.

The picture that Bastian finds is of his dad, whom he has forgotten at that point, frozen in a block of ice. The picture doesn’t bring back his memory of his dad, but it fills him with emotions and gives him purpose. He feels like ‘the man in the picture’ is screaming for Bastian to not leave him behind. (Bastian’s mom is dead, and he has no other family than his dad.)

2 Likes

Alright so… time to get this bookclub back and rolling into action. I think one thing that has never been covered in the discussion so far and has probably been on everyone’s minds is: How the hell is Kanata even in this world? (and, by extension, what are her motives for being in this world)

I personally have my own thoughts on this, as I am sure many others have their own theories. However, I am going solely on memory for this post, so I am totally open to anyone challenging my memories (as if I haven’t fucked up misremembering stuff way too often as it is :yahaha: )

Anyway, to start off my theory, I would like to put down one fact. Fact: Kanata is not involved in the bus crash incident, nor is her life implied to be in any danger. That alone says that it may be impossible for her to have even been in the world. So far, the Little Busters dream world (and the only other dream world shown in the series) has been a construct of minds that wished to solve their regrets on the brink of death. Kanata does not fit that bill.

Where does that leave her, then? @EisenKoubu implied that she may be a construct of Haruka’s memories, but that is a bit too hard to swallow, especially in her route. In the Haruka route, that has more ground, as she seems quite one dimensional in that. But she exudes way too much personality in this one, personality that may not be known by Riki, the only observer at the time.

So allow me to posit my own theory: Kanata, in this route, is not simply a construct of Haruka’s memories; Kanata here is Haruka herself, controlled by what Haruka knows about her sister.

Trying to get evidence is a bit difficult for this but let me have an attempt at laying it on the table.

Point 1: We are only ever shown flashbacks and stories of Kanata that Haruka herself is aware of. (this might be the one I am probably wrong at) From what we see, all information about Kanata and her life shown in this route are event that, for some reason, also involve Haruka. Once Haruka moves out of the Futaki house, we no longer see much, if any, stories about Kanata’s life. This implies that what Kanata knows in this route is also limited by what Haruka also knows.

Point 2: The Kanata in this route and Haruka’s route are starkly different. It’ always bugged me how Kanata in Haruka’s route has always seemed so one-dimensional. She seemed like a stereotypical villain, doing odd things just to make Haruka spite her. If my theory is correct, this explains the sudden change in her personality; the Kanata in this route is the Kanata that Haruka accepts as not evil. Because in Haruka’s route, she could only see her as a one-dimensional villain. But once she learned from her route, she started to remember everything that happened between them, and started to remember what Kanata was really like.

Point 3: Haruka, in her own route, knows way too much. I refer, most specifically, to the bad ending of this route, where you choose Kanata-pretending-to-be-Haruka, driving Haruka to suicide. That isn’t something she would have known immediately, but the next thing we know, she loses her mind over it. It might be easy enough to chalk this to dream-world omniscience, but even the leader of the dream world himself, Kyousuke, needed a vessel (Lennon) to achieve this. And I’m pretty sure what happened in the nurse’s office stayed in the nurse’s office.

Those are my main points as to why I think Kanata in this route was actually Haruka donning Kanata’s identity. Haruka knew her well enough and accepted her true personality, enough to be able to interact with Riki as a completely different person. Which leaves one last mystery: her motive.

After Haruka solved her own regret, what other motive could she have to want to have Riki become aware of her sister’s problems? Well, exactly that; the fact that Kanata still has problems. She is still chained to the Futaki family, whether she like it or not. And that is something that Haruka herself could not battle on her own, especially considering her history with that family. Haruka wanted to save Kanata, and that alone was Haruka’s remaining regret, after solving her own, personal one.

Haruka invoked this route because she wanted to help her sister escape the struggles of being the Futaki family’s puppet. And because she needed the entire Little Busters’ help, she did it the best way she knew how: by tricking Riki. By having Riki learn from the Kanata route in the dream world, he would gain this additional strength and motivation to help Haruka save Kanata.

And we are lead to Wedding Busters, the culmination of this route. Not only is this a great finale, it is also proof that Haruka’s intents succeeded. She was able to convince Riki, through the dream world, that she needed to help her sister. It can be implied that the last choice in the story is her own doubt, wondering whether what she did to achieve this was the right thing. But Riki consoles her, and all is well.

So, that’s just my theory for now. Again, I would very much like this to be challenged, as I am not sure of all the details myself. Here’s hoping it can help bring more lively discussion as well~

(Obligatory HAH the Kanata you all loved was actually Haruka all along. We’re all Haruka fans!)8

2 Likes

Anyway, to start off my theory, I would like to put down one fact. Fact: Kanata is not involved in the bus crash incident, nor is her life implied to be in any danger. That alone says that it may be impossible for her to have even been in the world. So far, the Little Busters dream world (and the only other dream world shown in the series) has been a construct of minds that wished to solve their regrets on the brink of death. Kanata does not fit that bill.

That’s a nice theory you got there, would be a shame if something were to happen to it.

Just one word: Sasashigawa.

She’s not in the dream world on her route because she is in danger, but because she was pulled in by another who was and who shared a deep connection with her.

3 Likes