Little Busters! Fanart

I don’t really have a deep reason why I drew this one, but I did intend it to be darker yet somewhat wistful. I wanted to draw someone who’s dreaming awake and Komari sort of just popped in my mind but I guess I wasn’t just in the right mood to whisk something like that at the time.

So here’s a simpler version of it I guess? I was feeling bubbly at the time and thought of drawing something cute and light.

5 Likes

It was mainly because when I saw the drawing and thought about Komari’s story, I thought that it could very well represent how Komari is living inside an Egg and how the immense world that life is is just outside that window. Therefore, I think the contrast between the white walls and the window was terrific in this drawing’s context.

1 Like

This seems like the most appropriate place to post this. So for the Little Busters 10th Anniversary, I wanted to go all out, maybe do something I had never done before.So I set out on a quest to recreate Komari’s (in?)famous master work, “The Penguin That Tried His Hardest.”

I’ll be honest, I underestimated the amount of time a 30-page, full-color picture book would take to complete. I easily spent over a dozen hours on this over the course of 5 or so days, and that’s just the book itself: I also scanned each page individually, gathered and organized the voice clips of Komari reading the book, timed the video so the images would come up at the proper time, added English subtitles… truly, a labor of love.

Well, Komari seems satisfied, too:

21 Likes

I’m glad you saw it that way :blush: I usually don’t talk too much about my drawings because I want people to interpret them themselves. And, they usually explain it much better than I :smile: thanks!

@SuikaShoujo This so freaking adorable. I showed it to my sis and she liked it a lot. Komari will be so proud and Penguin-san is satisfied

7 Likes

That’s amazing!! Great work Suika! You deserve a baseball for that.

4 Likes

@chesca aww, glad you both liked it! Also that photo is adorable, that penguin makes me so happy :flustered:

@Aspirety ahaha, here’s hoping the people running the contest think the same thing!

I already posted this on Twitter but I’ll just leave this here because… LB :kyog:

19 Likes

I just found out that the Little Busters logo on placereddit was created by people from this forum, which is why I’d like to ask a question : is anything planned for Pixel Canvas ?

I took the initiative of re-creating a logo resembling the one on placereddit but it is very small and far from the center (the closest you are from the center, the fastest you can place pixels), so I would like to hear your opinions about that :grinning:

I hope this is the right topic to ask such things, as I consider that as fanart, but please tell me if i’m mistaken

Oh, and also : love all your fanarts, especially the last ones with the nendoroids, which I intend to by some day !

3 Likes

@Bonecuss Our efforts have been noticed!

2 Likes

I helped!

Yaaaay I knew it’d be a good idea to put it on the place atlas.
None of us have much interest in other versions as far as I know, so go ahead! It was mostly the interest in a one-time cool event that motivated us.

1 Like

What Bonecuss said, but if you feel like creating a project in there be sure to tell us. I’d gladly help creating it and defending it from “The Void’s” legacy or other vandals.

I have ideas, but I admit that being alone doesn’t help realizing them :yum:

So far, I planned to draw the cat and the ball that was drawn on placereddit for starters, but that would be cool to draw some of the characters, as we can see them on baseball phases in the game (they are already in pixel art so i thought that could be easier to draw them, as I’m not very used to pixel art…)

If anyone want to join me on that little project, just let me know either on this thread or by private message !

1 Like

Maybe we could get some character sprite templates with the specific pixel layout. As far as I know, the guys working on the minecraft server have had to or are doing something similar and maybe they’ll lend us a template or two. Any chances? :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be great indeed !

Unfortunately we just used a converter for those, don’t have anything to hand that would help I think…

The color pallet is horrible though it is like 16 colors. I did a design for masato’s face a very long time ago it has the potential to be converted to 16 colors I feel like almost all the other character are no go though… it is still going to look off though. Pretty sure in minecraft they used non wool blocks to expand the pallet a lot. I did a lot of animal corssing ds drawings so I have some knowledge about making color pallets work. The masato design is for animal corssing ds but I think It might look barely passable anyways if you wanna look at is here it is.

There is a lot of changes that have to be made to fit the pallet but I think it will look passable. I would only do the face. But I need to know if somebody is actually going to build it lol.

1 Like

Nice ! I think it is worth trying. If you could just make the face, I would be happy to try and build it on the canvas :smile:

EDIT : By the way, thanks to the one(s) that is/are helping me filling the cat ! (that last sentence was a bit… um nevermind)

left no dither right dither looks like shit up close but that is expeted from 16 colors but zoomed out it looks fairly nice.

btw how long do you have to wait per pixel? it only makes me wait 5 sec.

Yeah, that looks nice once zoomed out !

I’m not sure about the waiting time, when I began it was 2 minutes between each pixel, but now it is 5 seconds… Yesterday I tried to place a white pixel, a few pixels away from the cat, and it made me wait 2 min and 30 sec, so i’m a bit confused right now… If I remember well, I also read somewhere that the closest of the center of the map (0,0) you are, the shorter time you have to wait (1 minute being the minimum). I think it is better to be far from the center though, because of the huge mess around the center :grin: The map seems infinite anyway
Now, i’m thinking about where to place Masato’s face : maybe right below the cat ? Like that, if we want to draw other characters we can always draw them beside Masato. What do you think ?

Oh, and thank you for the tail by the way, I was a bit lazy and tired yesterday :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT : I will be away for one week and I won’t have Internet so I’ll see you guys in a few days !