Little Busters! EX DOTABATA Ranking Battle TL Project

Yeah, @Aspirety, I’m trying out some different styles for the cards…

I regret nothing.

9 Likes

A more appropriate ability would be to have all opponents make an Aspi meme, and the controller of Aspirety chooses the best one. The winner can draw some cards or something.

2 Likes

I guess Masato and Kengo’s gonna get theirs cut off too RIP in advance~

1 Like

I think the biggest issue right now is, what do you call that, aliasing? You can really see the sharp edges of all the layers, so it’s easy to tell where one layer ends and another begins. Gives the feeling of a bunch of pieces of paper pasted on top of each other.

We might need some more help getting these images ready for typesetting after all.

I know, I’m mediocre D:

Seriously, though, that’s about what I expected. The ones where I was able to redraw parts of the background (go take a look at the one where Riki is next to a window) look pretty alright. The ones where I had to replace the whole background look kind of bad. Certainly, some of that is because of me—but the disparity in quality between the game art and the scans plays a part too.

@Kawaii-is-Justice is there any way you can help out maybe?

Put the card type on the side for character cards imo. Leave the top one for weapon cards. Alternatively, just get all of the art and create an original universal ui for them.

'twas a joke my dude

Shifting the character name boxes to the right might be worth trying though…

Or putting the name next to the attack value. Covering a character’s waist is better than covering their face. I definitely think a template is good for the option of making custom characters in the future.

Edit: quick mock up

Honestly, I think we ought to leave the boxes where they are. Maybe it’ll be a little awkward to read, but I’m pretty sure everyone (except me :wink:) knows the characters’ names, and it would allow us to not fuck up the art too badly.

Uhm… It’s difficult and it’d take lots of time but I should be able to do it (the result wouldn’t be very good tho)… Or did you guys already decide to leave the box as it is?

Okay so Hardscope finally took my advice of rotating the text and now it looks fine, no extra editing needed.

@Kawaii-is-Justice did you manage to finish editing out the backgrounds of all the cards yet? I’d also appreciate if you did the few cards I already attempted myself; I’m sure you can do better than me.

I don’t have my PC right since I’m on a trip, I’ll be back this weekend and then I’ll really do the whole thing >< (I only have a few slightly troublesome event cards left anyway)

EDIT: Just uploaded all the cards except for the three event cards I haven’t done yet (I’m working on them right now). @Aspirety, I think you’re overestimating me a bit too much. I’m doing some pretty half-assed job with the text removing here. The ones you’ve done look fine by me and the small mistakes will be covered by the text anyway.
By the way, @Hardscope, can I point out a few things about the typeset? It looks fine as is, don’t worry. But there are some things that kind of tick me off since I also usually work as a typesetter… I tend to be harsh about this sort of thing (I’m a bit of a perfectionist when I’m working on a project which is why most people don’t like to work with me) so you might want to consider whether to say yes or no~
Also, I tried a little something. So here’s the Muscle Event Card (flipped) before:

And after:

All I did was slightly reduce the noise and adjust the levels and contrast but I think it looks better… Maybe?

That does look quite a bit better, albeit maybe a little bit dark. I think you should go forward with it, as long as you’re willing to edit the others!

Progress update?

I have uploaded the three remaining event cards (LB, shock, tickles). So, yeah, all of the cards that were in “Cropped” have now their texts removed. I’ll wait until Hardscope is done with typesetting before applying the few changes to all cards. Hmmm… So, do the ones that are in “Board” also need their text removed or was it just the ones in “Cropped”?

We don’t need text removed from the board, but if you could re-do the ones I did, I’d appreciate it. Mine was a very lazy job :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly think that they look fine but, well, okay. Maybe tomorrow or next time I’ll be free (although I do some pretty lazy work too).

You actually keep the transparent backgrounds, I just throw a background on top.