Little Busters! English Edition Release Date and Pricing Confirmed!

It seems pretty logical to me; longer duration equals larger time investment and shorter audience retention rates—this is true in almost every medium (exempting those outlier works that aim to be immersive behemoths)—and therefore is harder for people to get through without becoming bored or getting distracted. This is doubly true for written word, something waning in popularity and out of place on the Steam store.
It is also at odds with the refund system, making it unlikely for anyone to buy it without being an already established Visual Novel fan, of which there isn’t a large amount on Steam.
Litbus itself also has other problems with retention, with many of the “highlight” moments of the VN being distributed unevenly, most of it being towards the end of a complete run. This is partially true of every VN following the Key formula, but Litbus suffers particularly so for having lackluster secondary conflicts.

People wouldn’t buy a 60 hour book on steam just because it had the monthly memes. That’s not how it works… A 3 hour game, that’ll have a moment in the sun. A 5 hours one could potentially do so too, but 60 hours of straight reading isn’t appealing to a market of people who don’t usually read, even if you throw in a fidget spinner.
Steam’s VN market is far from prestigious, but I think you’re assuming a lot about games you haven’t played. The best selling VNs on steam are far from low quality, and the humor of Litbus isn’t so far removed from memery.

It’s funny you make this comparison, because those two franchises and their respective audiences are so incredibly different from each other. Sakura VNs are short, Naruto is long. Sakura VNs are fairly niche while Naruto is mainstream as far as anime goes. Sakura VNs are touted as comical but enjoyable, and Naruto’s fanbase treats the series (for the most part) seriously and with respect. It should be noted that the Sakura franchise is heavily bolstered by the crazy amount of new content being made each year. Winged Cloud have developed 22 titles in just over three years, 20 of which include the Sakura branding. It’s no wonder it has become a recognizable name on the Steam Store. WC are just making good use of the Steam format by filling up the game lists.

If we were looking at what’s popular or “best selling” I’d be saying VNs that look to succeed on Steam should be like Danganronpa or one of the other big mystery adventure VNs on Steam. While I don’t like Danganronpa, my favorite VN is Kara no Shoujo, and they are very similar in many respects. So maybe yeah, Steam VNs should be like that.

On the other hand, if we’re going by what is reviewed the most highly, planetarian and Clannad are top dogs. The question is… Which is more important: popularity or ratings? I highly doubt a long VN will ever sell amazingly well in the west, never mind Japan, even though the sales of Litbus will no doubt be increased by the dual language feature. Do I think that matters? No. I think Key’s VNs exist on steam to breed and grow a nicely sized western audience, not to become a popular presence on Steam’s frontpage… Expecting anything more would be very ambitious, and Key most definitely know that. They want a foundation to rely on. They don’t want to just be a flash in the pan. Even back in the Tactics days, this dev team knew as such. That much is clear from what they develop, and more relevantly how they are pricing these steam releases. Many of the Key and VA staff have witnessed bubbles burst after all.

2 Likes

Long term vs short term plan. You finish sakura game #1 5 hours 10 bucks. Now what? your done with vns? okay you won against little busters. $35 for 5 hours isn’t as good.

Okay race me to 100 hours now? Okay little busters and clannad okay that is over 100 hours but lets say he fell asleep during clannad and only played some of clannad. $85 Meanwhile the other guy buys 100 hour of sakura games for $130 and if you say I skewed those number I did… towards sakura alot…

This is my exact point. If you don’t know you like vns or not, the short games are great. Naruto is a anime all the noobs like to watch. I was just using naruto as more as baby’s first anime that isn’t so great, pick what ever you want. The short games are only good short term, if you know you are going to read all of it even clannad at 50 is soo much better. vol.# games are only good for people who play only the first vol. If you play all the vols. you get ripped off. The problem is the level of noobs is really high so nobody knows what they want.

Vol type games like sakura are a scam that exploits the stupidity of the steam market. some of the japanese compaies are already adapting such as phantom trigger being in vols and other long games being broke down. This is actually bad. it drives the price up for people who are going to read it all. It is the 1 game = 1 game logic that is screwing up people logic for making good purchases. They say I want cheap games then rip themselves off hours wise.

I think for the most part we are agreeing but trying to solve to problem a different way lol. Change the market or change the buyers type thing. I am merely trying to get hype. You are right litbus probably won’t explode but instead of aiming towards slow burning fandom, lets kick it off as hard as we can… gotta to try to make it explode.

Well I am done on this topic got nothing more to say.

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say in the first two paragraphs, and this is pretty far off topic now, but as for the rest…

My point is that the audience of people who know they’ll finish Clannad is small. Very few people are going to drop money on Clannad to test if they’ll enjoy it.

First of all, volume games aren’t high sellers and are quite the rarity.
Nevertheless, volume games should be seen as a future investment. You spend the initial small amount to see if you’ll enjoy it, and then you can decide whether to buy future volumes. Every volume bought can be seen as directly influencing whether a future volume will release. You’re effectively funding extra content.You can decide after initial purchase, as the Visual Novel releases part by part, whether it is still something you support or not. For those who are patient however, you can wait for the complete product to release, as many did with Fault. Some would prefer to get in early and experience it over the development period, helping the product come to completion, while others would prefer to just binge read the Novel once it potentially becomes complete. You pay for what you desire.
Now, I don’t think this release format is bad, but I do think the wrong types of VNs are making use of it. Heavy continuity games don’t strike me as good choices for volumes. The hype remains consistently present between parts as it would a TV show with episodes, however if you decide to dropout early you have made a bad investment. Where I do think the Volume structure could be well used is with more traditional romance VNs. I can think of many heroine routes I would buy standalone, but wouldn’t buy as part of a bigger release due to that release being a lot worse outside of that one route. Gimme that one good route of Canvas2, or a couple of the Da Capo routes. I’d love that.

As far as I’m aware, there are no Sakura games that make use of volumes.
You call it a scam, but I completely disagree. You see the cost and you know what you’re buying. If having multiple volumes gives you multiple slots on the Steam store’s frontpage and keeps you in readers’ minds while also being a more consistent cash revenue, I don’t see why publishers wouldn’t do it. It’s a strategy proven lucrative in Manga, Film and Video Game, so it’s only natural to make use of it with Visual Novel.

Not only is that essentially a fandisk made for those who simply wish for more stories from the Grisaia universe, but it is an episodic series developed especially for the volume format. It seemingly does a good job at it too. I’m sure that once every volume releases it’ll all be put in a discounted bundle for people to buy.
It’s also Front Wing, so if you aren’t expecting them to cash-in, you don’t know Front Wing.

I don’t think there’s much of a problem. I just find it weird that some people here have such grand expectations for Litbus when it’s unlikely to be anything much greater than what Clannad was. It’ll sell to the VN fans, some of us will read it, some will enjoy it, done. You don’t have to go out of your way to become a human advert for it, just appreciate it for what it is, with people who are ready to listen.

4 Likes

The original Grisaia series was y’know, kinda in vols.

Yeah, kinda sad but that’s the way stuff goes. People are less willing to pay for longer visual novels as it might be a complete waste of money.

1 Like

You know what? who cares about all the market nonsense I just want it to do as well as it can since I am a fan after all. Been waiting 8 years… if a failed phone game can be a mega hit anime in japan than litbus has a chance in the west… Sometimes you gotta through out logic and wish for the best. Let this man dream… it’s not gonna be popular if nobody tries to hype it up that is for sure.

One thing for sure is the vn market looks a hella better than 8 years ago that is for sure

This whole argument is spurring out of the desire for Little Busters to be the next big hit in the English Visual Novel market but frankly, I’m really not expecting that. And I don’t think VisualArt’s themselves are expecting that either. After countless talks with their CEO, I believe that Baba and the rest of the team’s main goal is to broaden the reach of their works and to help makes fans happier through their release. If it ends up as a major hit, then win-win. But even if it doesn’t, as long as they know they made their fans happy (and they sell enough to at least gain some profit), I think they’ll be happy as well.

Heck, as you did say, 8 years ago I would have never expected Key games to get official localizations. So that in itself is a small miracle

5 Likes

Guys another 15 days and there we are ! So cooooool!
I really love this because it makes me feel much better, i have some health issues and i have to spend a lot of time on https://onlinepharmacyreviews.org/ searching for medications that would make me feel better, but Little Busters, just the idea that I’m going to have it makes me feel so good!

Unlocks in two weeks o.o

6 Likes

Yay, finally I can put it on my wishlist as a show of support! I wish they gave the price now though, I hope the weak Pound doesn’t affect the price too much here in the UK.

Looks like 1GB storage space was a mistake. It’s actually 1 GB ram and 9 GB storage space.

That makes a looot more sense. No way they were gonna hit 1GB storage.