Little Busters! - Common Route Discussion

I feel the need to comment on Kud.

She’s a character who has received a lot of antipathy in the community, especially Kazamatsuri, due to the fandom surrounding her. Kud zealots, the really hardcore ones, are the biggest lolicon otaku creeps out there, and it’s really irksome. It doesn’t help that Kud Wafter was specifically designed to appeal to those creeps, and is a blight on an otherwise amazing track record for Key. All of these factors influence perceptions of Kud.

But she isn’t that bad. Sure she has some annoying verbal quirks and people might not appreciate how over the top moe her character is, but she ain’t that bad. Getting in the head of someone who’s for all intents and purposes a Third Culture Kid is very fascinating, and without jumping ahead too much, her interests make her a much more compelling character to listen to.

She gets a bad wrap, and I hope that people will be a bit more open to appreciating her good qualities in this readthrough.

14 Likes

Kud herself is fine (no bad heroines in this game!), and her route got major improvements in this edition as well.

I used to like Kud before her rabid fanbase ruined her for me. :nonono:

To me, Kud’s way of talking is annoying enough to make her a horrible character in my eyes, because no matter how interesting she is, it’s still a pain to have to hear her say nano desu every 3 lines.

As you said, she also has her own interests, which are actually very similar to mine. And without escaping common route, this is probably as much as I’m able to say. I’ll save the rest for her route.

So, as a newbie to Little Busters, my only direction here was to go for Mio’s route because those were my assigned orders for the bookclub. :yahaha: I knew nothing else about Little Busters other than it involved baseball. My expectations were and are extremely high; this was the last Key novel that wasn’t a spin off I had left to read. As such, it’s hard for me not to compare it to Key’s other works like Clannad or Rewrite. I expected a typical Key novel; down to earth life lessons wrapped in the dancing ribbons of beauty and tragedy, another shard of fiction that would pierce my soul and enrich my life, as they always have. Time will tell if I am correct.

When I first opened the title screen, waves of emotion crashed upon the shores of my heart. Born Into This World captivated me as a beautiful yet somber song, hooking me into the simple scenery before me. It reminded me of Tomoyo After’s title screen in its austerity, and the sepia tone along with the child characters gave me vibes of nostalgia in the vein of Kanon. Immediately I felt like Little Busters would be the epitome of everything Key was for me. The culmination of nearly a decade of discovery, both of the company’s works and myself. It goes without saying, I was very excited and hyped for Little Busters.

Thus the common route begins, and the Busters deciding to form a baseball team. It’s the usual slice of life fare that Key serves up, which I already enjoyed, but the addition of minigames made it more interesting even if I turned those off soon afterwards. It felt quite long, but not long enough to drag on me. I don’t have much to add that wasn’t already said. To be honest, nothing about the route’s events stood out to me. Meeting the characters are what I cared about. My favorite moments were when the Busters all got together, like the trial of courage or the conversations after practice. These moments that were always to be treasured, as was taught to me by other works. I will say that I feel an attachment to the characters. By the end of this journey, I am sure they will be like my real friends, my family. I don’t doubt that for a second; I just know. That’s what always mattered to me in Key’s novels. What we do isn’t important, only that I have others to share it with, and that’s what common routes are to me. They were always about what they made me feel and what it made me wonder. Something to look back on.

Back to reality. So far, my top three characters are Kyousuke, Masato, and Kurugaya. Kyousuke reminds me of who I aspire to be: calm, confident, and optimistic. I can see why he’s so loved, with the subtle way he seems to cherish life and inspire those around him like a true leader. Masato is probably my favorite comic relief character. He doesn’t seem as full of himself as Sunohara or Yoshino. He is outlandish but he seems radiates dependability, something that helped by being introduced as a childhood friend to Riki. This applies to all the original Busters, really. Their friendships are much more believable to me knowing they’ve been together for a decade. I can personally relate to that. As for Kurugaya, I love her strong will and playful cat-like ways. I always found it hard to relate to more child-like characters like Kud or Komari, whereas with Kurugaya I can easily see her as an equal thanks to her quick wit and womanly mannerisms. She reminds me a lot of Akane from Rewrite, who I also adore.

One thing I will note, though, is that during the common route, I felt a sort of weight in my chest. I knew how this went, I knew the Key formula. When would it end? When would the sun set on these happy times? It was something I never felt so strongly in any other Key novel. Deep down in the depths of my soul, I knew Little Busters was different somehow. How? No idea. I felt something tug at me as I watched these group of friends practice baseball and fight each other, something I didn’t understand, nor cared to. It was like the sea was boiling at the horizon, slowly inching its way towards me. The future of Riki and the gang whispered in a deep and distorted voice. Dread, anxiety, and joy swirled in my mind as I felt this apprehensiveness I’ve never felt before. Something felt so wrong, so off about all of this. I wanted the calm waters to go on forever, but my prayers are never answered in these novels. :uguu:

In the end, the sun literally did set in the final moments of the common route, as I marched into that murky night of May. I sunk into my chair in preparation. The date disappeared from the screen as it always does in Key’s works, and I unsheathed the tempered blade of my bare heart once more.

11 Likes

Okay… so I just finished my first playthrough of common ( without realising it until saving the file )
And let’s just begin by saying that I absolutely loved it.
On a sidenote, I ended up with Rin 1.
First to begin, I was really excited about Little Busters! because so many people on the forum claimed it to be easily Key’s best work yet and I wanted to see what exactly is special about this VN that everyone (literally) would suggest it. Back then, I could only simply nod in doubt but I can now openly say that Little Busters! definitely got me perfectly into it.
I’m not too much of an artist or an analytic person but as a music enthusiast, I loved the simple melody from the title screen almost immediately. It’s nothing too bright or too sad but really sets that feeling of nostalgia successfully.
I enjoyed the minigames too, I’m not sure if they actually add to the plot but I felt it did well to show the developing friendship between new friends as well as the everlasting bond between the childhood friends.
But… seriously, is it possible to beat Sasasasa!!! (Sasami Sasasegawa)
Although, it is true that I got Rin’s route, my favourite character from the common route is…
insert drum roll here
Nishizono Mio!
She is perfect in my opinion, she has that mysterious vibe and an awesome theme song by Shinji Orito ! Seriosuly, I love you Shinji Orito, you make so many good soundtracks…
But the real reason I am loving this VN right now is because… it is relatable.
Many of you may or may not know this but I am 14 ( 9th grade ) and the board exams are coming up so my friends are mostly busier than they used to be. Sometimes, I reminisce the times I played baseball with a paper ball and a waterbottle with them (see even more connection).
I actually miss those times…

Yes… Kyosuke I wish that too…
So, it was actually quite heart warming seeing the group play baseball and strengthen their bonds.

9 Likes

May 17th. I think I’ll take it easy on the theory crafting today, however there were a few stand out moments that are worth paying attention to, starting with our newest contender for best girl

Like, holy carp this scene was good. We’ve had the two demons going at each other for so long it was good to see someone actually step in between them and Kurugaya took the scene in a completely awesome direction. A katana? Seriously? I think I’m in love :amorous:
Basically Kurugaya is a ninja (of love) in this scene, dancing around Masato and taking his attacks in stride, dancing and weaving with her weapon in hand. Actually I should talk about the katana for a second because somehow I’ve neglected to properly illustrate how important the Busterpedia is.

As I understand it this collection of cultural context is new to this release and is specifically designed for English users who may not be familiar with all the nuances of Japanese society. Now, I propose that not only is it useful as informing us on context, but it is written to specifically pertain to the events of this story. Here’s an example:

The blade is described here as being sharp and elegant, as well as being treasured for artistic value. Now, I would hazard a guess that these descriptors could also be applied to Kurugaya, the wielder. Or at the very least that’s the impression she tries to give to Riki.

Despite not exactly having a very refined set up (the wooden chairs and canned tea) she does her best to seem fantastical and unknowable, and describes herself as a medieval princess. Through the use of ‘clever’ metaphors and allusions she gives off a much greater aura to those around her. The Busterpedia article of her signature ‘Japanese sword’ is specifically written to give you an idea of he character through association, this is very clever and i hope to be able to pick up on more of this going forward.

The other character who I’m starting to get a good impression of is sweet Mio

I just want to protect her. Some of the Kazamatsuri Discord users have told me they find her boring but my goodness I can’t help but I really enjoy her terrible jokes that you can never really tell are jokes, and there’s something charming in how attached she is to her parasol (white representing ‘purity’ in this case). and i don’t think there’s enough water in the world to soothe the burn she delivers to Riki.

She’s just too damn charming.

Oh and don’t you think I missed this little line:

I see your allusions to sanctuaries.

We also get to see Rin go full anime when her cats are threatened

I really enjoyed this fight, especially how ham Kyousuke and Rin go (it’s such an unnecessary battle) and how aware Sasami is of her status as an antagonist to the Busters, especially Rin. We even get a glimpse into her inner feelings later when Rin quite honestly asks her if playing instruments in the girls dorm reminds her of something bad. Her response:

Gosh, at this rate I won’t have any characters to dislike… then what will I do with my life??? :yahaha:

For those curious, I have been battling steadily within the club to obtain Rank 1 status and I finally got there!

Finally the respect I deserve, and Kengo has been reduced to a ‘Drowsy taxi driver’ which honestly just sounds incredibly dangerous, maybe he should go home and rest? :aspi:

13 Likes

You’ll live your life loving all the characters. That doesn’t sound like a bad idea does it?

2 Likes

Whoa, I must be lost. Been a while since I posted anything here. I’ll try my best to make some decent bookclub posts though.

Reading this again has been a real treat. I’ve held off on re-reading Little Busters for a long time, waiting for the official release, and it was well worth the wait. With the common route complete, I figure I’ll write a post with just a few quick thoughts.

The theme of friendship is established right from the get go in a great way. The interactions between the main cast really just make you laugh and smile at the sheer absurdity of some things and the warmheartedness of others. You can actually just feel how close they are and how they want things to be that way forever.

Humor is big here. The antics these guys get up to is hilarious and the routines are a real hoot. Especially the battles, seeing such ridiculousness play out with the intense music cracks me up.

The OST is also amazing and I could genuinely write long posts just on each track. The most notable for me always being Slow Curve. Just an absolute masterpiece at conveying the game’s themes and atmosphere of “friends hanging out, playing baseball, joking around, watching the sunset”

Will jot down some more thoughts if I come up with any.

9 Likes

This is going to be a hard one for me to be objective, after 16 hours of the Common route I’m just not enjoying it as much as I hoped. That’s probably due to my own expectations beforehand, as I’m probably in a minority of 1 as everyone else new to it seems to be loving it. It’s definitely NOT bad - it’s just not grabbing me yet, this could change with the character routes and I hope it does because I want to like it more. The humour isn’t really working for me in the same way as in Clannad.

All the comments posted here have been very interesting and I get that there are deep themes within the tomfoolery and more under the surface - maybe I’m just not in the right mood for it, which is just bad timing having waited so long for the release.

Anyway, I really appreciate the time folks are taking to show their highly considered thoughts about the route - keep doing it and maybe you’ll bring me around…

4 Likes

May 18th! The last day of the week, and the perfect day for some things to go terribly wrong!

This chapter gives me a lot of ammo for my theories, particularly my suspicions about dreams and repeating time periods. I don’t want to repeat myself so instead of just saying “here’s some evidence! here’s some more evidence!” I want to try and figure out who is sending the messages to Riki, who is trying to teach him about the secret of the world. Regardless of my answer I still haven’t exactly figured out the ‘why’ yet but bear with me…

The chapter opens very mysteriously, with Rin being only tagged as ‘Voice’ for the beginning of this scene. This in itself is highly suspicious, the message to ‘wake up’ doubly so. I’ve begun to notice that all the really important moments to Riki’s state of mind during this novel occur with no character sprite onscreen. There’s a fairly simple reason for this as it gives the reader nothing to focus on except the words being told to them, and the eyes have nowhere to focus on so it gives off a feeling of vulnerability. Anyway, I think this is Rin trying to get Riki to wake up from his coma, simple as that. Her intentions are pure and her method of communication is direct. Thus, I do not think she is the one delivering Riki the messages, unless there is something extremely well-hidden about her character underneath all the bubbly innocence.

Our next clue comes fairly quickly

So the entire cafeteria staff has disappeared right after receiving a task to save the cafeteria, this seems like some significant evidence for a timeloop theory, ala Groundhog Day. I assume that whoever is writing these messages is aware of Riki’s repeating of his memories, and wants to help him to break out. Why would I assume it’s someone close to Riki that we’ve already met? Because they’re using Rin’s cats to do it. It has to be someone that not only knows about Rin’s cat obsession and can locate her cats when she’s not around them, but someone that can also coax the cat into allowing them to attach the message to its tail without causing injury. ALSO it’s been the same cat every time so this definitely isn’t just a random prank. To that end, I believe the sender has to be one of the core five friends we are introduced to in the early part of the story, Riki, Rin, Kengo, Masato and Kyousuke. Out of the five I think we can discount Rin for the aforementioned reasons, Masato is too much of a comedic character to be responsible unless he’s a go-between for someone else, and unless Riki is influencing the world subconsciously in his coma state that only leaves us with two suspects.

Kengo and Kyousuke. Now, I haven’t discounted Kengo mainly because of the ‘scales fell from my eyes’ quote from earlier in the story, that would make sense as foreshadowing but unfortunately I haven’t been paying as much attention to him so far as the other characters. This would give him the perfect cover to be responsible, but i feel as though we don’t know what would motivate him other than just being a good friend (yet anyway).

The other suspect in this situation is Kyousuke and honestly he’s at the top of my list based on the way he’s been acting this entire story. He seems to be nowhere yet everywhere at the same, leaping through windows on the 3rd floor when a fight breaks out, always being there for club activities despite Riki never bumping into him anywhere in the school, he’s also the person who originally sent Riki to meet Rin when she had found the first mesage, and then this bombshell happened

Riki loses conscious due to his narcolepsy in the middle of talking with Kyousuke and His contact point with the world was severed. I think you can all tell what I’m thinking, this signifies a transition from this world to another, I was honestly expecting an image of a hospital bed but instead we get this:

Orange glow indicating a nostalgic memory, no sprite for Kyousuke at all during this scene, and at the end an extremely abrupt cut back to regular life where Riki meets up with Masato. We are also giving the extremely specific detail that “Kyousuke’s hands are softer than Masato’s”. Man, this scene has to be incredibly important. I’ve been speculating on the importance of Kyousuke for a while now and this scene tells me I’m poking at the right bits of the narrative. I think there’s something wrong with Kyousuke’s appearance in Riki’s mind, maybe he was killed in front of Riki or maybe just the shock of seeing Kyousuke when he grew to be much older ruined his perception of him, either way Kyousuke is clearly a role model for him. I think that if this is a series of memories that Riki is using to keep himself safe and happy then it makes sense for his ‘memory’ of Kyousuke to be the one that’s guiding Riki and Rin to the secret.

I have some further crackpot theories about Riki and Kyousuke maybe having switched places in this narrative we’re being told or something funky going on with their ages in his memory (maybe Kyousuke actually is the same age as them but the age Riki remembers him at is the age he suffered the traumatic event) i have little to no basis for these except Kurugaya’s words:

Clearly Riki has trouble with his own self-perception,even though Kyousuke is the leader of the group it’s Riki and his understanding character that pulls everyone in. I don’t know how deep this narrative goes but Kurugaya continues to be perceptive, which is nice.

Other points of highlight include: The cafeteria game, which i was terrible at, apparently 20 points was the passing mark and I got 19 (rip). Kyousuke losing to Komari and gaining the title “I lost to Komari-chan” which honestly was the best moment in this chapter for me, Kyousuke is never going to live this down… and the return of this beautiful muffin

Which yes, I thought that’s what was going on too Riki, she really is impossible to read. I wonder if you might perhaps have a better time of understanding her through some sort of narrative? Some sort of work of fiction she might use for self-expression and to communicate her truest self to others, something you can approach in order to discover her heart… If only such a thing existed :aspi:

She also seems to be very connected with nature, sheltering herself underneath a Zelkova tree, a tree that is often used in bonsai, a form of artistic expression through plant growth and very much something that should be admired and not touched except by the artist’s hand lest you mar its beauty. Her hands in the previous chapter were described as maple leaves and her eyes are compared to “subdued amber” fosslized tree rezin that most famously hardens around animal and plant material and forever preserves it.

Interesting that she is referred to this way, I hate to continue talking about colour again but wasn’t that ‘other world’ that Kyousuke spoke to Riki in a similar ‘subdued amber’ colour? Let me know what you all think. Have I truly gone mad? Or am I on the cusp of uncovering the Secret of the World? Tune in next time to see how off the rails I can go!

(oh and also Haruka and the disciplinary head might be sisters, call it a hunch :aspi: )

EDIT: As a final piece of evidence for my ‘Kyousuke culprit theory’ I’ve been notified by @Echo that Lennon was the cat first thrown into Masato and Kengo’s duel at the beginning of the game by kyousuke. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Lennon turned out to be Kyousuke’s cat all along. Here’s the message log from May 14th:

8 Likes

That would also fit with the one scene you mentioned with the room at dusk. Honestly, I have not thought that deeply about this, but at this point I mostly support your theories. I was wondering who was behind the cat thing and I also though Kyousuke is a possible suspect, but never analyzed it more then that.

That’s my guess as well. They look and sound similar and Haruka’s first reaction to her was…odd, even though she went back to her usual self quickly. Though to be honest that’s kinda obvious so it either is correct or a big red herring. My hunch is the former.

5 Likes

I didn’t want to overload the post too much but Haruka being the sister of the head of the disciplinary committee would explain how she’s able to pull off so much anarchist bullshit and get away with it.

6 Likes

Rin1 complete!

Ahh, it’s been like 2 years since I last played LB and boy oh boy is it amazing. Before, I wasn’t sure whether I liked LB or CLANNAD more but I definitely like LB more. It’s so goddamn fun. Honestly, I think my view of LB changed when I started to have friends IRL who became kinda like the little busters for me. Also I was just super hyped to read this with all the new features and content… it’s just fantastic. When I read LB I frequently found myself just chuckling or inadvertently smiling a lot. Over the 2+ years of being a member here on Kaza just made me appreciate the funny little jokes of LB as well as understanding the kinds of bonds that these characters share. It’s really inspiring I guess. I’m definitely super excited for the things to come. I’ll probably write my actual thoughts on the route later.

6 Likes

That reminds me, I realized that she is in the opening and has a different last name. Though that does not have to mean anything.

1 Like

Blockquote The tasks that they’re completing together are all very pro-nature so far, and pro-life. I don’t know how far down the rabbit hole these tasks will go but it’s worth mentioning.

I might recommend different word choice here.

I think I get less out of the early parts of these games than a lot of you. It took a bit to get going, but the fact that I got to this point in two days or so should dispel any notion that I didn’t enjoy it.

I think the juxtaposition of some of my character opinions may ruffle some feathers. Kengo hasn’t done anything to earn my favor, and so far tends to be disagreeable and what not. Kyousuke is fine, but he doesn’t really land with me the way he does with many others, at least as of yet. Masato and Rin are also fine, though I wish Masato wasn’t getting hit with butt monkey status as much. I guess the pre-existing busters are less interesting at the moment than most of the characters that come along later, but I suspect that they all have at least a little under the surface.

I think some of you all are judging Sasami a bit quickly. I can see why some of us might dislike her a bit (taking more of what Rin says as insults than actually are, not being shown in much else other than an antagonistic role, subpar response when one of her groupies tripped, fighting over the field, and her only other established trait is liking Kengo(well, that and her being very willing to share it with you…)) the story simply hasn’t framed her as much else, barring her being willing to talk to…oh hell, what’s his name? and not snitching on the Busters to the superintendent and assemblyman.

Her apparently not liking cats is some bad taste though. 0/10 worst girl. But in all seriousness every sense in my mind tells me there’s something else here.

So, what about the other girls? I guess if there’s any real problem is that I kind of worry that Kud and Komari’s characters could overlap a bit too much, but we’ll see. They’re certainly people I wouldn’t mind meeting.

I’m going to add more later, my train of thought has been stopped a bit.

6 Likes

It’s kind of funny that you say that, because while Komari is obviously my favorite character, Kud is my least favorite, even though they do share some surface similarities. Although neither of them shows their hidden depths much in the common route, so I can see where you’re coming from. I’ve often seen them lumped together as “the two lolis” (leaving aside the fact that Komari isn’t a loli…).

9 Likes

I was actually also having the exact same thought that Kud and Komari were basically slightly different versions of each other based on first impressions of their personalities from playing the common route for the past few days. I really tend not to like the “cutesy/super unnecessarily happy” kind of characters; they tend to really put me off and immediately strike me as trying too hard or too unbelievable. In the common route, I was finding Komari a bit too bubbly and boring, which I expected, but was actually surprised that I was greatly enjoying interacting with Kud very much by comparison. It’s weird for me, since I don’t remember actively disliking either of them during the anime, but I also remember feeling at the time that I didn’t really care whether or not they were there.

That being said, I did just finish Komari’s route today, and all I will say is that my opinion of her has changed noticeably. Considering that, I’m now a lot more interested in seeing the rest of Kud’s route and how she differs from how she is presented in the common arc, especially since my early impression of her is surprisingly positive.

4 Likes

I really don’t see the similarities between Komari and Kud? And I don’t think I ever did, even when I first read little busters.

Although I must admit, it took a while for Komari to grow on me, as a character. I think the anime made her a lot more likeable, as seeing her ditziness animated added much to her charm.

6 Likes

I’d say they’re different enough, at least for my perception.

Komari is optimistic and carefree, but is also very caring, mother-like and sometimes melodramatic.

Kud looks and acts childish (a fact she points out herself), but is very earnest and hard-working. She’s also amusing to talk to due to how seriously she seems to take everything even when it’s a joke.

Well, as their initial titles suggest, Komari is a fairy tale princess and Kud is a mascot. I’d say their personalities match their respective titles.