Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.1 Onikakushi

Feel the hype! Time to re-read onikakushi. This time with ps sprites. I like them more than the brand new sprites for some reason

Better backgrounds and sprites with the patch tbh. Hereā€™s hoping they get the new patch out in time.

Am I the only person who genuinely prefers the steam sprites over the PS2 ones??? I would like voices tho

The steam sprites are good too but why donā€™t they have CGā€™s? The ps version has some and thatā€™s why I prefer this one. And yeah, voices would be nice

I donā€™t even know why I donā€™t like the steam sprites, I just look at them and think ā€œā€¦nahā€, maybe itā€™s because I had the PS sprites when I first read it and now those are ā€˜normalā€™ for me? Didnā€™t have CGs back then though
And Iā€™ll probably still leave voices disabled, Iā€™m too used to reading it without voices^^

Waitā€¦ Thereā€™s no CGs?

The original release doesnā€™t have CGs, being a doujin production where all the art was done by Ryukishi himself. The console releases add some in addition to creating new spritework specifically for those releases. Personally, I donā€™t see why Higurashi needs CGs; itā€™s not like the story already does an excellent job of describing whatā€™s happening. :confused:

I donā€™t think I would ever be able to get used to a Ryukishi07 work that has CGs. I kinda like those textured photos as it adds to the feel of the novel.

I donā€™t like the potato sprites tho xP

Now that you mention it, that was a silly question, lol. The original didnā€™t have CGs after all.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, it doesnā€™t really need CGā€™s. I didnā€™t even notice that there are none until I finished reading and someone here mentioned it. But I think theyā€™re a nice extra. Iā€™m a CG fan in general, everytime I get one I do a little dance of joy in my mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, Watanagashi is out, and the sprite mod is being made, keep an eye on https://github.com/higurashi-mod/watanagashi

Iā€™ll get Watanagashi for rereading in a week or so, or later if the mod isnā€™t out by then

I wanna keep the steam sprites butā€¦ Looking forward to the voice patch! :smiley: Muh Nakahara Mai

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:52, topic:1249ā€]
Muh Nakahara Mai
[/quote]Speaking of her, (Day 11 spoilers, I think?) I tried skipping to the first instance of Yandere Rena in order to hear her voice, and Iā€™ll be honest here: she sounds about as threatening as a thrown pillow. Iā€™m starting to think Higurashi works better without voices for meā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™ve opened a topic for Chapter 2 discussion! Check it out here: Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.2 Watanagashi

I think the point was not to be threatening, but simply to be a total reversal of what Rena was presumed to beā€¦ well Iā€™ll give it a shot when I start episode 2!

I have acquired the Ch 1 - 4 Question Arc of Higurashi from Steam and would like to start it soon but my question is whether I am better of waiting for the whole of the Answer arc to come out first? I have Ch 5 and perhaps it wonā€™t be a long wait for the rest but does it matter if there is a long gap between reading the Q & A arcs?

Iā€™d suggest to read what you have, considering that way back when there was also a considerable time gap between chapter releases. If you want to also tell us your thoughts after each chapter, now, a year and a half later since this topic was made, thereā€™s actually an entire forum dedicated to 07th Expansion, so give that a visit if you like. Youā€™ll see a bunch of familiar faces, considering that the admin is the same.

2 Likes

Oh man 2+ years later and you have yourself a less but in some way equally unlucky guy :uee:
45 PM

I just finished Onikakushi and it was pretty fun, an enjoyable experience to say the least. I didnā€™t know about the patches though, good thing I saw this only halfway through Ch.2 :ahaha:
I personally donā€™t like the ā€œupdatedā€ sprites, felt like the ā€œoriginalā€ set the mood better, but I quite like the PS sprites, will use mod in the future.

1 Like